BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning

06-01-2020, 12:31 AM   #1
Carguy1994
ooooooooo
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 2018

Do I need SSP or Dodson clutch packs?

Hello all,

I was wondering with the mods I have will I be needing the upgraded clutch packs? I’ve already burned a whole in my wallet with the current mods but I don’t like to do anything half ass.

How much on average would it cost and any reputable companies in Orange County ca you suggest?

Current mods -
1) SSR CRANK HUB
2) PURE TURBOS STAGE 2+
3) CSF FRONT MOUNT HEAT EXCHANGER
4) VRSF DOWN PIPE
5) VRSF COLD AIR INTAKE
6) INJEN 2 PC ALUM CHARGE PIPE
7) CSF TOP MOUNT CHARGE AIR COOLER
8) GINTANTI TUNE WITH FULL E85 FUEL
9) PRIVATE LABEL MFG MIDPIPE
10) METHANOL INJECTION KIT
Appreciate 1
LINF83852.00
      06-02-2020, 04:15 PM   #2
blockdoc
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carguy1994 View Post
Hello all,

I was wondering with the mods I have will I be needing the upgraded clutch packs? I’ve already burned a whole in my wallet with the current mods but I don’t like to do anything half ass.

How much on average would it cost and any reputable companies in Orange County ca you suggest?

Current mods -
1) SSR CRANK HUB
2) PURE TURBOS STAGE 2+
3) CSF FRONT MOUNT HEAT EXCHANGER
4) VRSF DOWN PIPE
5) VRSF COLD AIR INTAKE
6) INJEN 2 PC ALUM CHARGE PIPE
7) CSF TOP MOUNT CHARGE AIR COOLER
8) GINTANTI TUNE WITH FULL E85 FUEL
9) PRIVATE LABEL MFG MIDPIPE
10) METHANOL INJECTION KIT
Are your clutches slipping??
With all these mods, you should know what kind of torque you are putting down. That is the clutch killer. The most common opinion around here is that your stock DCT clutch is safe until somewhere around 650 torque. Anything more than that and IMHO, you should consider building the bottom end up.
Appreciate 1
      06-02-2020, 04:33 PM   #3
tom @ eas
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: BMW

Garage List
2018 BMW i3s  [0.00]
2010 BMW M3  [6.50]
2015 BMW M4  [5.25]
Quote:
Originally Posted by blockdoc View Post
With all these mods, you should know what kind of torque you are putting down. That is the clutch killer. The most common opinion around here is that your stock DCT clutch is safe until somewhere around 650 torque. Anything more than that and IMHO, you should consider building the bottom end up.
+1. Also how aggressive of a driver you are.

OP: Bring your car to our dyno, so we can get a baseline and see what's needed (if any).

GET DAILY UPDATES ON OUR BLOG · FACEBOOK · YOUTUBE · FLICKR · INSTAGRAM
Appreciate 3
      06-02-2020, 10:37 PM   #4
Carguy1994
ooooooooo
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by blockdoc View Post
To be honest with you.

I haven’t even driven my car yet. It’s been under the knife for about a month and a half now. It’s currently at gintani getting snow methanol injection kit + custom tune.

I want to be pushing 700 horsepower and torque to the wheels. I feel like all this money I spent I deserve to be at that power. But the more and more I read I see that my car is still incomplete. I hate doing stuff half ass. And if want this power I’m going to need a upgraded clutch.

I was thinking to wait because I already spent 22,000$ doing all these mods and dropping another $4000 is a little killer right now but I feel like it just needs to be done.
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2020, 10:38 PM   #5
Carguy1994
ooooooooo
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom @ eas View Post
+1. Also how aggressive of a driver you are.

OP: Bring your car to our dyno, so we can get a baseline and see what's needed (if any).
I do want to drive pretty aggressive. I want to push down on the gas and fly my dude.

Can you pm me a quote for Dodson clutch packs? I’m going to pull the trigger on it. I can’t handle my car not being “complete”.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2020, 01:58 AM   #6
HyeM3
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

I think the consensus is that on the stock DCT tune the clutches are good for around 650 wtq and on the GTS DCT tune it should be good for 650-700 wtq due to the extra clamping force. Anything over that you'll want to upgrade the clutches and probably build the motor. So if you want to keep your motor and clutches happy tell your tuner to keep the tq curve pretty linear and under 700 and you should be good
Appreciate 1
      06-03-2020, 12:51 PM   #7
Carguy1994
ooooooooo
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by HyeM3 View Post
I think the consensus is that on the stock DCT tune the clutches are good for around 650 wtq and on the GTS DCT tune it should be good for 650-700 wtq due to the extra clamping force. Anything over that you'll want to upgrade the clutches and probably build the motor. So if you want to keep your motor and clutches happy tell your tuner to keep the tq curve pretty linear and under 700 and you should be good
I was thinking 700 hp and torque with upgraded Dodson clutches.

I’m good this way right?
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2020, 12:58 PM   #8
coldsteelrain
driver
United_States
Rep
Drives: G80 xdrive

I would be more worried about your internals, your bottom then about your clutches at that power. A clutch slips and that's about it but a broken rod will blow your engine.
Appreciate 1
      06-03-2020, 03:51 PM   #9
HyeM3
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

You just want to stay away from having a sudden rush of tq down low because your rods aren't going to like that. As long as you keep the tq curve pretty linear your motor should be happy and you should be fine on stock clutches with the GTS DCT tune. I'd just stay with the stock clutches until they start slipping and then upgrade. There's no need to rush into spending thousands on that if you don't need to yet. Clutch slip isn't going to cause you to grenade your trans or anything so I'd just stick with the stock ones until you actually need to upgrade

EDIT: But it is worth noting that you're approaching the limits of this motor once you hit 700 tq so if you want to abuse the hell out of the car then I'd dial tq back to no higher than 650
Appreciate 2
      06-04-2020, 12:41 AM   #10
Carguy1994
ooooooooo
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by coldsteelrain View Post
I would be more worried about your internals, your bottom then about your clutches at that power. A clutch slips and that's about it but a broken rod will blow your engine.
Yeah I think you’re right man. after consultation it was deemed best to have 650 wheel torque and 750 wheel horsepower.

I appreciate you more than you know. Thanks man!
Appreciate 1
      06-04-2020, 12:43 AM   #11
Carguy1994
ooooooooo
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by HyeM3 View Post
You just want to stay away from having a sudden rush of tq down low because your rods aren't going to like that. As long as you keep the tq curve pretty linear your motor should be happy and you should be fine on stock clutches with the GTS DCT tune. I'd just stay with the stock clutches until they start slipping and then upgrade. There's no need to rush into spending thousands on that if you don't need to yet. Clutch slip isn't going to cause you to grenade your trans or anything so I'd just stick with the stock ones until you actually need to upgrade

EDIT: But it is worth noting that you're approaching the limits of this motor once you hit 700 tq so if you want to abuse the hell out of the car then I'd dial tq back to no higher than 650
You’ve helped a lot man. Your advice has been spot on to be the same as the professionals in this industry.

650 wtq
750 whp

And I thought clutch slipping was bad and eventually going to blow my tranny or engine.

However EAS was able to give a decent deal on some SSP clutches so I’m going to go with them. I’m just trying to have no dumb problems with this car. Already so much invested I thought what’s another few thousand to put the cherry on top and be super safe.

You the man. Thank you!
Appreciate 3
HyeM3464.50
tom @ eas8109.00
blockdoc373.00