EXXEL Distributions
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > M3/M4 versus...

06-07-2020, 06:20 AM   #45
MaynardZed
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: wife crazy

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by yayaya View Post
Nice! Would you say stock F80 is slower than gt3 in straight line?
That’s an illusion, mostly because of the massive torque the S55 has. You feel it way more in the seat than the GT3, so it “feels” faster.

The reality is the GT3 is probably quicker in every practical acceleration metric under 100mph. I have seen both cars extensively at the track and it’s not even close. A more fair comparison would be my 991.1 GTS.

Congrats to the OP! I traded in my M4 for 991.1 GTS two years ago. The sound and feel of those NA engines is exhilarating.
WHP East Track: 1:04.880, Arizona Motorsports Park: 1:54.352
Road course laptimes for Porsche 911 991.1 GTS 7MT
WHP East Track: 1:02.770, Arizona Motorsports Park: 1:48.889
Appreciate 3
JTO245246.50
paliknight2186.50
      06-07-2020, 08:55 AM   #46
guarnibl
Major
Rep
Drives: Depends on the day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UGADawgFan View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigsur View Post
Check out Dundon Motorsports as well for exhaust options.
Love their stuff, but man, you pay for it
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeFromPA View Post
Very nice man. I recently sold my m3 after almost 6 years and went to a 997.1 turbo 6mt.
That's awesome! Congrats!
Quote:
How do you like it so far? Any regrets?
Loving it- no regrets at all. It's much slower at the top end than my F80, but the car is much more visceral and exciting to drive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by THEROK View Post
UGA, congrats man. That thing has got to sound insane esp after you add a GMG bypass or something like it.

How are you logically navigating through owning a car with, presumably, a replaced engine covered for 4 warrantied years at a minimum?

I understand with the new .2 lump, there's little to worry about as it's inherently a much more robust design.
It sounds insane stock, but I can't WAIT to hear it with the center muffler bypass installed ( I ordered a soul performance one)

The engine has been replaced in mine (it was replaced when the car had 600 miles on it- I assume due to the recall) ...and I'm under warranty until January 2025 or 120,000 miles whichever comes first. The car has 11,000 miles on it now so I'm not worried about it at all. Thankfully my car is one of the few that hasn't been beaten to death on a track (original owner had it in a car collection).

Quote:
Originally Posted by 325iExecutive View Post
Congratulations on the purchase. Very happy for your purchase. Enjoy in good health!!
Thanks so much!

Quote:
I'm going to be in the market for an E92, 997 turbo, or a GT4 within the next couple of years so this was helpful. I agree that having the engine behind you is a completely different feeling that you'll only get with Porsche and higher end automobile manufacturers. I've heard some say the E92 sounds better than the Turbo/GT4 and vice versa. I guess it's all subjective and depends on what exhaust setup you have. Although the Turbo is kind of muffled because of the twin turbos, I'd say it sounds good in a different way because with an aftermarket setup, you'll be able to hear them spool up and blow off. Honestly you have to experience P cars in person to understand how good they are. The first time I rode in a GT3 and the sound of the engine was amazing. YouTube compression unfortunately does not portray that same feeling. I was also looking at a F80 M3 but I'm not a fan of the sound it makes when it releases boost pressure. At that point I'd rather get a 997 turbo. As for ride comfort and interior quality, I will be coming from a older Mustang so it's not a big issue for me. I'm sure any of the cars I upgrade to will be superior in almost every way.
The sound is the MAIN reason that I sold my F80. I missed my E92 M3 every day that I had the F80 because simply beacause of that sound track. I fully admit the F8X is superior in every way to the E92, but I could never love the car since it was boring to rev out. So rather than go back to an E92 M3, my wife told me to go ahead and buy my dream car - and the GT3 does not disappoint.

I will say that I drove several Cayman GT4's (and toyed with ordering a new 718 Spyder), and as awesome as they are, I couldn't get over the long gearing..what fun is a manual that you can't shift very often? I know Sharkwerks makes a replacement gear set, but spending $10K on fixing a huge flaw wasn't appealing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FormulaMMM View Post
This should be pushed into every 911 vs. M3 thread from here forward. Props for a normal, non-fanboy assessment. Don't see how you acquire a 911 and not develop an overwhelming appreciation for the diverse talents of the M3. If you don't have, then you didn't really explore and enjoy the potential of the m3.

Congrats, OP. Sharkwerks sport exhaust is killer, if you're looking for some more character but don't want to (even potentially) mess with the engine warranty. (Assuming you don't have a G transplant already.) Cold starts are LOUD, though. https://www.sharkwerks.com/exhaust/p...gt3-rs-SHAX410
Sorry, as I stated before, while I liked my F80 (I especially loved LOOKING at it, since it's a gorgeous design and I adore Sakhir Orange), but I never loved driving it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcpatters View Post
It goes without saying OP, that is a beautiful GT3.

UGADawgFan

Off topic, I was out in Athens last season to catch a UGA game. Wow, what an experience. UGA fans definitely show up for games.
Thank you OMG tell me about it. Something special about seeing a game between the hedges.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blockdoc View Post
Nice car brother!!!!!! Enjoy!
Thanks!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmg View Post
S55 sounds like crap and it's improved with an exhaust but who cares because that's a nice upgrade! Congrats!
No exhaust could ever fix the S55 sound in my book. In fact, when it was driving away and I heard the new owner (who's a dear friend of mine) take off at WOT, I knew I had made the right decision to move on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yayaya View Post
Nice! Would you say stock F80 is slower than gt3 in straight line?
Yes- mainly because of the traction advantage and the superior launch control the GT3 has. My F80 had a tune so it's not a fair fight, but on a highway pull the F80 will destroy the GT3. But then highway pulls aren't what the GT3 was built for

Quote:
Originally Posted by jc05e46m3 View Post
Hell yes! Congrats! I went to a .2 GT3 myself back in April and haven't even thought about looking back. These cars are a riot! It does remind me a lot of the E92 in terms of power delivery.
Agree 100% ...GT3 makes you work for the power like the E9X M3 did.

And lucky you! I wanted to get a 991.2 GT3, but couldn't justify the $50K price difference. I'm going to use the difference in cash to buy a Jeep Wrangler
Congrats on the GT3. I'm a 981 spyder owner ( prev had M4, 911 TTS, E92 M3) — the Porsche is really special with it's NA power delivery. I've got Dundon race headers on my spyder and it sounds like a cup car ! Insanity. Significantly better than how my e92 sounded even with an exhaust. I think they make the same setup for the Gt3. Very well respected company just like GMG , Sharkwerks etc. I don't mind the gearing as much as most I think. The power just wasn't very usable in the M4 but every ounce of it is in the Spyder.

Enjoy the 911. My DD is also a wrangler. Literally the perfect DD!
      06-08-2020, 10:59 AM   #47
UGADawgFan
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 991.1 GT3, B9 S4, E92 M3, G05

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaynardZed View Post
That’s an illusion, mostly because of the massive torque the S55 has. You feel it way more in the seat than the GT3, so it “feels” faster.

The reality is the GT3 is probably quicker in every practical acceleration metric under 100mph. I have seen both cars extensively at the track and it’s not even close. A more fair comparison would be my 991.1 GTS.

Congrats to the OP! I traded in my M4 for 991.1 GTS two years ago. The sound and feel of those NA engines is exhilarating.
Thanks I was hugely torn between a 991.2 GTS and the 991.1 GT3. The 991.2 had all the creature comforts, but not the soundtrack and that's what won me over.

Quote:
Originally Posted by guarnibl View Post
Congrats on the GT3. I'm a 981 spyder owner ( prev had M4, 911 TTS, E92 M3) — the Porsche is really special with it's NA power delivery. I've got Dundon race headers on my spyder and it sounds like a cup car ! Insanity. Significantly better than how my e92 sounded even with an exhaust. I think they make the same setup for the Gt3. Very well respected company just like GMG , Sharkwerks etc. I don't mind the gearing as much as most I think. The power just wasn't very usable in the M4 but every ounce of it is in the Spyder.

Enjoy the 911. My DD is also a wrangler. Literally the perfect DD!
I actually wanted a new Spyder over the GT3, but didn't want to wait a year. Your car must sound insane- especially with the top down.

And I 100% agree, the power wasn't useable in my F80- especially for back roads driving. It was just too explosive and I couldn't never get comfortable reining it in.

Can't wait to find the perfect Wranger/Gladiator. If I have my way, It will always be doorless and topless
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2020, 02:56 PM   #48
JoeFromPA
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '15 AW M3 6MT Stripper

The new Jeep JL is really freaking good.

I got a 6mt and for what it's worth I question if I had to do it over again if I'd have stayed manual. It's got good shifter feel but a vague clutch and throttle tip-in is.....well it's on it's own schedule.
      06-08-2020, 08:25 PM   #49
TR930
Car Enthusiast
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 F80 M3 TB/AB

I test drove a new 992 c4s. It's a brilliant machine and very different than my m3 with 6spd.

My M3 feels more powerful, but the PDK is sharp, very quick. And the sports chrono package is interesting, turns things up to 11 for 20 seconds and it's dramatic. The damping is very good with PASM too. Never harsh, but firm.

More than enough for a weekend enthusiast or 2 day a week commuter. It costs almost twice as much as my M3 though and it isn't twice the car in my mind.
Appreciate 1
Jockey3434.50
      06-08-2020, 08:54 PM   #50
Jockey
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 992 C4S

Quote:
Originally Posted by TR930 View Post
More than enough for a weekend enthusiast or 2 day a week commuter. It costs almost twice as much as my M3 though and it isn't twice the car in my mind.
Every time I think about going over to Porsche, that's my problem. Is a car 2x the cost really 2x the car?
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2020, 09:19 PM   #51
TR930
Car Enthusiast
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 F80 M3 TB/AB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jockey View Post
Every time I think about going over to Porsche, that's my problem. Is a car 2x the cost really 2x the car?
The sum of the 911 experience is more special than the M3. But honestly the performance value is with the M3 all day long.
Appreciate 1
JTO245246.50
      06-08-2020, 11:28 PM   #52
kss
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 AY F80 ZCP

Quote:
If I could afford the 911 turbo, it wouldn’t even be a choice. But given what I can afford and what I paid for a new 2017 fully loaded M3 (everything but CCB and carbon lip), I doubt if I could have done better.

Most ho can afford the 911 turbo - especially new can afford to have another sedan that is more comfortable for the kids. We have an SUV that the wife drives, but I only drive it on trips where we need the space. After getting the M3 I hate driving the SUV (drove one for 8 years after having two kids and needing a double stroller). No way could I afford a 911 turbo and another family friendly car for myself.
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2020, 10:58 AM   #53
JoeFromPA
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
No, it's not. A value equation will never work out for the Porsche. But....is an $80k m3/m4 really worth $30k more than say a proper CPO $50k? Etc. etc.

Here's what I'll say on why I went Porsche:

A car doesn't cost it's price. It's an asset. It costs it's depreciation + repairs + any interest paid on a loan to purchase the asset.

I bought a nearly $80k used 997.1 turbo because I believe I can enjoy it for ~3 years or so and spend less than $15k on it across those areas.

I spent more than $15k on a brand new $60k m3 after 3 years.

So which is costing me more money? The m3 was certainly reliable and under warranty.

Anyway...
      06-09-2020, 11:22 AM   #54
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: C6Z

Quote:
I bought a nearly $80k used 997.1 turbo because I believe I can enjoy it for ~3 years or so and spend less than $15k on it across those areas.
All I can say is that I hope you enjoy your car in good health and that things go as planned for your in terms of maintenance and repair.

It will help if you keep the engine power stock.

We discussed over PM how much I’ve spent on my 6TT
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2020, 04:41 PM   #55
UGADawgFan
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicknaz View Post
All I can say is that I hope you enjoy your car in good health and that things go as planned for your in terms of maintenance and repair.

Thanks I have no need for more power than this- I want the exhaust only to hear the car more.

I'm under warranty for a few more years and the GT3 isn't that maintenance intensive- especially since I won't be tracking the car. Should be good to go
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2020, 10:58 PM   #56
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by UGADawgFan View Post
Thanks I have no need for more power than this- I want the exhaust only to hear the car more.

I'm under warranty for a few more years and the GT3 isn't that maintenance intensive- especially since I won't be tracking the car. Should be good to go
I was replying to Joe and his 997.1TT

Agreed. Warm it up and drive it hard. Congrats again
Appreciate 1
      06-10-2020, 07:20 AM   #57
JoeFromPA
Colonel
Rep

Quote:

I know buddy

To be fair we don't all shear a gear off a rather stout stock transmission.

All kidding aside: I'm expecting my experience to fall into one of two buckets that both seem entirely possible -

1. I spend minimal money on maintenance alone and it's super reliable besides a couple of minor things.

2. I have at least one $5k+ expense on an engine out repair for something stupid like pinning coolant lines and I blow my expense budget
      06-10-2020, 11:37 AM   #58
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
I know buddy

To be fair we don't all shear a gear off a rather stout stock transmission.

All kidding aside: I'm expecting my experience to fall into one of two buckets that both seem entirely possible -

1. I spend minimal money on maintenance alone and it's super reliable besides a couple of minor things.

2. I have at least one $5k+ expense on an engine out repair for something stupid like pinning coolant lines and I blow my expense budget
That’s what can happen with older car, awd, power adders and cup 2 tires I just pressed the gas at 4k rpm in first.

It’s $3.5k in Bay Area to pin the lines. How much is it for you?

Have you tracked it yet
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2020, 12:17 PM   #59
JoeFromPA
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
That’s what can happen with older car, awd, power adders and cup 2 tires I just pressed the gas at 4k rpm in first.

It’s $3.5k in Bay Area to pin the lines. How much is it for you?

Have you tracked it yet
I haven't gotten a quote for pinning lines but expect it would be $3k. Holt Motorsports, who sell alot of 997 turbos over the years, basically says it almost never happens or it's blown out of proportion. We shall see.

Haven't tracked it yet - considering doing it in ~2 weeks in a DE.
      06-10-2020, 12:48 PM   #60
UGADawgFan
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I was replying to Joe and his 997.1TT

Agreed. Warm it up and drive it hard. Congrats again
oh lol that makes more sense. thanks man!
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2020, 01:17 PM   #61
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
I haven't gotten a quote for pinning lines but expect it would be $3k. Holt Motorsports, who sell alot of 997 turbos over the years, basically says it almost never happens or it's blown out of proportion. We shall see.

Haven't tracked it yet - considering doing it in ~2 weeks in a DE.
Is holt more of a street car shop or a cup car shop? Advice I got was not to heavily track my car without pinning and several orgs here ban unpinned Mezger cars from tracking.....
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2020, 10:56 AM   #62
JoeFromPA
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Is holt more of a street car shop or a cup car shop? Advice I got was not to heavily track my car without pinning and several orgs here ban unpinned Mezger cars from tracking.....
Well his cup car is there, he tracks heavily, and he specifically called out how his cup car remains unpinned with the same engine and "it gets way hotter than yours"

Their stock is probably 95% street cars, 5% track cars, and they help people get their vehicle track ready and get out there.

Kinda bizarre they banned mezgers from tracking unless their pipes were pinned. It's not that prevalent and it tends to emerge as a modest leak first before going catastrophic. It's not like coolant leaks are unusual across a broad array of vehicles, so why ban mezgers for a relatively uncommon failure? Weird.
      06-11-2020, 12:57 PM   #63
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Well his cup car is there, he tracks heavily, and he specifically called out how his cup car remains unpinned with the same engine and "it gets way hotter than yours"

Their stock is probably 95% street cars, 5% track cars, and they help people get their vehicle track ready and get out there.

Kinda bizarre they banned mezgers from tracking unless their pipes were pinned. It's not that prevalent and it tends to emerge as a modest leak first before going catastrophic. It's not like coolant leaks are unusual across a broad array of vehicles, so why ban mezgers for a relatively uncommon failure? Weird.
I don't make the rules

I also wasn't precise enough. You don't need to pin, but you can't run antifreeze if you don't pin

Quote:
11.0.25.... 996 997 and 991 GT2, GT3 and Turbo models using the GT1 derived engine may use antifreeze if the manifold fittings on the cooling ssytem have been welded or pinned to reduce the chance of fitting failure.
These cars have a history of fitting failure when on track and can dump coolant on the racing surface requiring cleaning and causing significant delays. if the manifolds are not pinned or welded, then the Antifreeze must be removed and replaced with pure water (redline water wetter allowed)
Also, I'm a bit sensitive to this since I caused the lower coolant hose on my SM to rupture from heat while on track . It isn't fun to navigate your own antifreeze... and on our p-cars cars, gallons of coolant get dumped over the rear wheels if there is a coolant line failure

anyway, new car owner Dawg is chuckling at these old water cooled car issues. sorry for the thread jack bud
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2020, 09:48 PM   #64
UGADawgFan
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I don't make the rules

I also wasn't precise enough. You don't need to pin, but you can't run antifreeze if you don't pin

Also, I'm a bit sensitive to this since I caused the lower coolant hose on my SM to rupture from heat while on track . It isn't fun to navigate your own antifreeze... and on our p-cars cars, gallons of coolant get dumped over the rear wheels if there is a coolant line failure

anyway, new car owner Dawg is chuckling at these old water cooled car issues. sorry for the thread jack bud
lol no worries at all. it's pretty comical.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2020, 10:35 PM   #65
ANP202
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatorfast View Post
This post is cringe worthy.
Lol I agree. WTH is he doing on F80 post if it wasn’t good at anything and he no longer owns one.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2020, 10:37 PM   #66
///M4ster Yoda
Banned
Rep
Drives: '16 F82 M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by ANP202 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by gatorfast View Post
This post is cringe worthy.
Lol I agree. WTH is he doing on F80 post if it wasn’t good at anything and he no longer owns one.
He's been trolling for years
Appreciate 0