Mo Reviews
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > BMW M3 (F80) and BMW M4 (F82) General Forum

12-30-2014, 10:08 PM   #23
bronch
Waiting for the sun
Rep
Drives: 2018 M240ix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Accel Junky View Post
...So that begs the question...if you put on aftermarket wheels or replace the tires with non OE tires (being extremely common) can they really prove that either of those items would cause damage to wheel bearings, brakes, suspension?...
I think the answer, to some extent, is that BMW (and every other car manufacturer) has more money to counter your lawsuit should BMW come to the conclusion that your aftermarket iPhone holder caused a turbo failure and you disagree. Now, negative press aside, the ball is still in their court with respect to repairs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by myzmak View Post
...What is uniquely American is the need to put stupid warning labels up so that the car company can tell you 'if you fucked up this car, it is your fault, not ours' -- too many civil jury trials fucked upmthe common sense that would have otherwise prevailed...
Sigh... Sad, but very true. BTW, McDonalds coffee is hot and may burn you if spilt.
2018 M240ix- Daily driver. Still Woohoo!
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2014, 10:22 PM   #24
GrussGott
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M4 Comp Indv

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by bronch View Post
Sigh... Sad, but very true. BTW, McDonalds coffee is hot and may burn you if spilt.
Appreciate 1
      12-30-2014, 11:54 PM   #25
sharifm3
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: m3

This sticker has been in bmws for a very long time. More then 14 years
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2014, 09:32 AM   #26
DslDwg
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2014 Z4 35is

Quote:
Originally Posted by Accel Junky View Post
I follow, indeed. I'm just saying those items are so commonly replaced by owners with other brands that I would be surprised that a precedent hasn't already been set for their immunity.

I have to assume manufacturers build the risks of commonly replaced items into their pricing. A tune voiding the engine warranty I totally understand (which is exactly why I'm doing everything I can to avoid the temptation) but I'm going to give them the benefit of the doubt on the wheel/tires deal. Can't see them screwing anyone on that.
Agreed on wheels and tires. I'm surprised how many change the wheels on M3/M4 almost as soon as they pick them up. I personally think BMW makes some of the nicest wheels on the road and it's typically the furthest thing from my mind.

My guess is if the aftermarket wheel is very close in size to standard and there has been a failure there is probably some amount of discussion prior to fixing whatever problem has occurred. If someone has 24" wheels with some crazy offset on their new M3 which has destroyed bearings and bushings and all sorts of other stuff, I suspect you're in for a war.
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2014, 09:39 AM   #27
DslDwg
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2014 Z4 35is

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronch View Post
I think the answer, to some extent, is that BMW (and every other car manufacturer) has more money to counter your lawsuit should BMW come to the conclusion that your aftermarket iPhone holder caused a turbo failure and you disagree. Now, negative press aside, the ball is still in their court with respect to repairs.
I think this is the bottom line. I'm not even following how the ball is in their court?

Assuming you have a car that doesn't work. They "A" don't ever have to fix your car. "B" if they've fixed your car and you refuse to pay, they don't have to return your car.

I can't imagine a single person giving all the bad press they can muster is even on the radar of most Auto Manufacturers.
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2014, 10:21 AM   #28
Mandi90TT
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BSM 6MT M4 F82

Quote:
Originally Posted by DslDwg View Post
I think this is the bottom line. I'm not even following how the ball is in their court?

Assuming you have a car that doesn't work. They "A" don't ever have to fix your car. "B" if they've fixed your car and you refuse to pay, they don't have to return your car.

I can't imagine a single person giving all the bad press they can muster is even on the radar of most Auto Manufacturers.
Let me introduce you to the internet, and in particular, social media.

Also, with regards to courts and the legal system, yes, BMW (and any car manufacturer) has more legal firepower than the average person can muster, but juries in general are sympathetic to the 'little guy' and will often side with the customer against the big bad auto manufacturer. It's not as one sided as you seem to think. Sure, the deck is still stacked in the manufacturers favor, but not as bad as you, for some reason, want to believe.
      12-31-2014, 10:34 AM   #29
nbennettksu
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: DV F80

I removed my sticker because there was a long hair (yes, what I assume to be a human hair) right through the middle of it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kchu221 View Post
the wheels make me mad...
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhabs View Post
It's one thing for some buffoon to put an M badge on something that doesn't deserve it...it's another for a multi-billion dollar corporation to do the exact same thing and keep a straight face.
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2014, 10:55 AM   #30
utsteve98
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2019 M5 Competition

I removed it when I put the window tint on the windshield. Hey, maybe you can sue BMW for putting it on the windshield, because you got into a wreck while driving and reading it. A good lawyer could argue that and win. After all, that warning should have been on the back window so that it would be impossible for the driver to drive and read it at the same time. Hahaha.
Appreciate 1
      12-31-2014, 04:59 PM   #31
SemperFiGuy
United_States
Rep
Drives: Slow ;)

Better Call Saul!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0