BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > BMW M3 (F80) and BMW M4 (F82) General Forum

10-19-2020, 11:36 PM   #1
HeatGun
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW E93 335i N55

Coolant is green and need to top it off?

Hi all,

I realized that my coolant level is slightly low, I had a gallon of blue BMW coolant sitting in my garage but I am not sure if I can mix the blue coolant with green ones?
I just learned that BMW does not use the blue coolant anymore, it is green only but I already have the blue coolant which was made for BMW.
Is it safe to add blue on top of green or do I need to go to the dealer and buy a green one instead?
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2020, 04:18 AM   #2
AlmondJayRoM3
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeatGun View Post
Hi all,

I realized that my coolant level is slightly low, I had a gallon of blue BMW coolant sitting in my garage but I am not sure if I can mix the blue coolant with green ones?
I just learned that BMW does not use the blue coolant anymore, it is green only but I already have the blue coolant which was made for BMW.
Is it safe to add blue on top of green or do I need to go to the dealer and buy a green one instead?
It isn’t recommended. Looks like they’re compatible and green can be mixed in with cars filled with blue but not the other way around. Pasted from getbmwparts:

BMW HT-12 can be used in any vehicle that currently contains G48 coolant (blue), but G48 should not continue to be used in vehicles that were originally filled with HT-12. (see compatibility image) This HT-12 Antifreeze/Coolant is exclusively formulated and produced for BMW to protect your engine year-round when used as directed. It fulfills the very high standards and requirements set by BMW to help protect the engine against freezing, boil over, corrosion, and excessive silicate gel precipitation. This ethylene glycol-based antifreeze contains no nitrites or phosphate, greatly reducing the possibility of harmful deposit formation. BMW antifreeze provides protection for metals such as cast iron, steel and aluminum.
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2020, 01:07 PM   #3
JamesGames
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E60 550i|F82 M4|F48 X1|VA STi

Quote:
Hi all,

You're in california man. It won't ever freeze up - if you are just slightly low top it off with distilled water.

The coolant is contained in a sealed system, however. If you are low and need to keep replacing, there is probably a leak somewhere.
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2020, 01:50 PM   #4
BzsBimmer
Major General
Rep
Drives: '23 G80 FO M3, M3 & MY Tezzy's

Check around your expansion tank seam. If there’s residue, it’s probably leaking.

I did a DIY a while ago. If done right, can swap it out easily without needing much coolant to top off.
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2020, 05:17 PM   #5
HeatGun
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW E93 335i N55

I just bought this M4 and not sure if it’s loosing coolant or not. It’s little less than full. I just dropped it off at an Indy shop for an oil change. The tech will fill up coolant. I’ll monitor for leaks thank you.
Note: Indy charges $92 for an oil change including top off for coolant
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2021, 01:36 PM   #6
Slo_F80_Mike
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3 (MW SO, 6MT)

Quote:
I just bought this M4 and not sure if it’s loosing coolant or not. It’s little less than full. I just dropped it off at an Indy shop for an oil change. The tech will fill up coolant. I’ll monitor for leaks thank you.
Quote:
I just bought this M4 and not sure if it's loosing coolant or not. It's little less than full. I just dropped it off at an Indy shop for an oil change. The tech will fill up coolant. I'll monitor for leaks thank you.
You might wanna check your charge cooler if that's the tank which is low (smaller tank in the back by firewall). They have a tendency to leak the coolant leaks all into the intake ports and cylinders. If you're keeping the car for a while I'd recommend just upgrading the charge cooler.
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2023, 05:25 PM   #7
b74heavy
Alpine White|19" Wheels|
Rep
Drives: 2023 M340i

Exclamation

Quote:
Hi all,

My manual for my M340i says not to mix coolants of different colors. I just ran into the same thing. My 2023 M340i needed a top-off today before I went on a trip. It has 6200 mi on it so far. I also had a quart of blue collant from my old BMW 540i so I had to go buy a gallon of green collant since that is what is in from the factory. It was $35. I spent $67,000 on this car so I am not about to run it out of collant and burn the engine up or use a different kind of coolant to save a few dollars. You only live once.
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2023, 10:34 AM   #8
M3SQRD
Major General
Rep
Drives: E92 M3,G20 330ix,F22 240iX,F82

This! Check your charge cooler because if it’s leaking it’s going straight into the engine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slo_F80_Mike View Post
You might wanna check your charge cooler if that's the tank which is low (smaller tank in the back by firewall). They have a tendency to leak the coolant leaks all into the intake ports and cylinders. If you're keeping the car for a while I'd recommend just upgrading the charge cooler.
Appreciate 0