GetBMWParts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics

09-21-2015, 12:25 AM   #23
nelson29
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2005 E60

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsturbointeg View Post
Totally agree that they want the ability to put it back to stock when the lease is up. I Am curious to see if Bav will provide some data on these new subs. If there's a big difference with the factory amps vs the bimmertech dsp amp?.
If you're not willing to upgrade the OEM amp i see no reason to upgrade the subs. Like its been mentioned numerous time the weakest link in the OEM system is the amp, not the speakers. Those subs need POWER! I created a tuning file for F10 the other day with our amp and i couldn't believe how bad the OEM Hifi system is without it...
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2015, 10:06 AM   #24
Mandi90TT
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BSM 6MT M4 F82

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave 90TT View Post
Nice. Already went with a different solution but good to see Bavsound coming out with this.
Quoting myself, I know, but I had a couple of folks PM me as to what I meant.

Full description in this thread

Also, since then, I have added the Jehnert mid bass in place of the stock woofers. The Jehnerts are powered by the extra amp as part of the MusicCarNW package. Well worth it.
      09-21-2015, 10:23 AM   #25
Siciliano611
Major
Rep
Drives: SMB M6GC

Quote:
Originally Posted by nelson29 View Post
If you're not willing to upgrade the OEM amp i see no reason to upgrade the subs. Like its been mentioned numerous time the weakest link in the OEM system is the amp, not the speakers. Those subs need POWER! I created a tuning file for F10 the other day with our amp and i couldn't believe how bad the OEM Hifi system is without it...
Nelson, are you saying it's essentially a waste of money buying these subwoofers without buying a better amp? I have the HK system so I assume the amp is a bit better than the standard audio system.....
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2015, 12:20 PM   #26
OneRib
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 AY M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siciliano611 View Post
Nelson, are you saying it's essentially a waste of money buying these subwoofers without buying a better amp? I have the HK system so I assume the amp is a bit better than the standard audio system.....
I doubt it's a waste of money. It's just not going to give you huge thumping bass. I do think it will be a cleaner tighter bass, but for some it's just going to be underwhelming.

If it's not as good as I would like then I still have 30 days to return it for a refund. Considering how easy it will be to swap out, what's the risk. Just get it and see for yourself.
Appreciate 1
      09-21-2015, 12:36 PM   #27
soapman72
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 X1 M Sport, 2016 M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnhomes View Post
For $397 I ordered them! I'll let you all know how much of a improvement they are over stock.
Are you using these with the H/K system? With the stock amp? I'm very interested to know how these perform. My only concern is the sensitivity of these speakers. If they are as efficient as the stock ones with better quality sound and or deeper bass response, they would be worth it to me to go ahead and upgrade. I'm not looking for or expecting a massive increase in volume (which you would never get without adding power), but more extension with tighter bass would be awesome as long as I don't lose any output.
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2015, 12:50 PM   #28
nelson29
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siciliano611 View Post
YES! the HK amp is a little better but if you have the HIFI system and are upgrading the underseat woofers you're wasting your money...

The HK woofers are not that bad to begin with, they just need power....

Please search for Technic's threads regarding upgrading HK systems...
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2015, 12:54 PM   #29
nelson29
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneRib View Post
I doubt it's a waste of money. It's just not going to give you huge thumping bass. I do think it will be a cleaner tighter bass, but for some it's just going to be underwhelming.

If it's not as good as I would like then I still have 30 days to return it for a refund. Considering how easy it will be to swap out, what's the risk. Just get it and see for yourself.
Bavsound are not the only ones with PNP underseat woofers upgrades. Jehnerts, Gladen, Helix Match, Focal....You need power not just for a louder system but also for tighter midbass.....
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2015, 02:02 PM   #30
Mandi90TT
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Jehnerts are not quite plug and play. Really close, but not quite; you have to cut and splice wires to plug them in. Pretty simple, but honestly, some people have trouble with that and it also raises issues with a leased vehicle.
      09-21-2015, 02:09 PM   #31
OneRib
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Jehnerts are not quite plug and play. Really close, but not quite; you have to cut and splice wires to plug them in. Pretty simple, but honestly, some people have trouble with that and it also raises issues with a leased vehicle.
This is it exactly. Bavsound are the equivalent to Apple products. They work well with each other, the hardware performs as it should, but you could customize a system or find better components. I am interested in a 100% no compromise plug and play solution. If that only yields 25% gains over stock, then I have 30 days to decide if its worth it. Plus I can sell the set when I turn in my lease and people will want it because of how easy it is to install. They won't have to worry if I butchered the wiring installing it.

Even Bavsound doesn't pretend that their stuff is the best available. They just make high quality components that work seamlessly with BMW audio systems.
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2015, 03:05 PM   #32
nelson29
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Do you really believe people are gonna look under the seat when you turn you car in?
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2015, 03:09 PM   #33
Mandi90TT
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Do you really believe people are gonna look under the seat when you turn you car in?
Not at all. But it is still a concern for some people.
      09-21-2015, 05:42 PM   #34
OneRib
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I don't think they will but if you botch the wiring or have an issue, you'll possibly be looking at a costly repair. With a true plug and play all you do is unplug and put OEM back in. Plus I want to be able to sell the stuff after I turn my car in and it's easier if it's PnP.

Lots of other good product out there and adding amps will give you more than just speakers, but there are reasons to just go Bavsound.

If you are just going to leave the aftermarket speakers in then it doesn't matter much.
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2015, 01:22 PM   #35
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i Jet Black

Good info here! Since my car is not a lease I'm not so worried about the PnP. Sounds like either way an amp is a must over a stock
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2015, 02:44 PM   #36
RocketBoots
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Horse Drawn Carriage

Quote:
Quoting myself, I know, but I had a couple of folks PM me as to what I meant.

Full description in this thread

Also, since then, I have added the Jehnert mid bass in place of the stock woofers. The Jehnerts are powered by the extra amp as part of the MusicCarNW package. Well worth it.
Could you tell us your thoughts on the stock HK woofers vs the Jehnerts, given you have ample power going to both of them? Where did you hear the most improvements, and in what way? You have a great apples/apples comparison
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2015, 03:30 PM   #37
mtbdood
Rep
Drives: 2016 MG M4

I don't have access to the email info about these underseat subs, but aren't Bavsound sub systems supposed to be all powered? On their product info page, it states a 250 watt amp is used to power each sub. Is this not correct for the M4 with HK?
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2015, 03:32 PM   #38
Mandi90TT
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketBoots View Post
Could you tell us your thoughts on the stock HK woofers vs the Jehnerts, given you have ample power going to both of them? Where did you hear the most improvements, and in what way? You have a great apples/apples comparison
Sure. The mid bass on the Jehnerts was more pronounced, cleaner, sharper, if that makes sense. Not a huge difference, but worth it to me.

That was going from the HK woofers with the MusicarNW amp power, to the Jehnerts with MusicarNw amp power.
      09-22-2015, 05:16 PM   #39
emfo
Rep
Drives: TT

I didn't get an email. Someone mind PM me the details?
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2015, 05:21 PM   #40
BitchinManWheels
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Dinan M4, Z4, X5, Raptor

Quote:
Originally Posted by emfo
I didn't get an email. Someone mind PM me the details?
http://www.bavsound.com/Subwoofer-System/Buy-Now/
If that doesn't work then just enter your car's info in the ghost sub page.
I thought it was invite only but I found it on their web site.
      09-22-2015, 06:19 PM   #41
emfo
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BitchinManWheels View Post
Thanks. Tough choice - get Jehnerts or Bavsound...

Also, other decision is if we buy Bavsound sub now on its own, whether we miss out on package deal with the speakers..
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2015, 06:39 PM   #42
BitchinManWheels
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Dinan M4, Z4, X5, Raptor

Quote:
Originally Posted by emfo
Quote:
Originally Posted by BitchinManWheels View Post
Thanks. Tough choice - get Jehnerts or Bavsound...

Also, other decision is if we buy Bavsound sub now on its own, whether we miss out on package deal with the speakers..
I have Bavsound stage one and even though it sounds better over the HK, it still lacks bass. My friend has stock HK and getting the subs. We'll do a Pepsi challenge when the subs come in.
      09-22-2015, 07:15 PM   #43
emfo
Rep

Preorder placed. Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2015, 07:28 PM   #44
Siciliano611
Major
Rep
Drives: SMB M6GC

So consensus is what, these are worth buying with no amp add on or very little difference compared to HK sub?
Appreciate 0