EXXEL Distributions
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning

11-23-2020, 11:20 AM   #1
Likeanowl
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW F80 M3/ Yas Marina Blue

Heat exchanger coolant low

Just did a random check today and noticed the larger coolant tank is low. Not empty, but very low. Any idea what would cause this? The smaller tank that’s located up by the wipers was full but the larger tank closer to the front was low. I haven’t seen any coolant leaking under my car and it seems to be running at normal temp. This wouldn’t be from the top mount cracking possibly could it? I thought the two were separate systems.
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2020, 12:08 PM   #2
niquehawk5
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW

https://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1570544

Good luck.....hopefully you caught it soon enough.
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2020, 12:23 PM   #3
BzsBimmer
Major General
Rep
Drives: '23 G80 FO M3, M3 & MY Tezzy's

Keep an eye on it. You could have slow leak at fins from front radiator causing a leak and evaporation during load.

If you haven’t seen any drips of coolant on your floor when parked for a while it could be an indication that it’s only leaking under load.

I believe they are split systems iirc.

*edit
Also are you seeing any coolant residue around your expansion tank seams? If so, that’s probably a good indicator where it’s going.

I did a write up on replacing. Pretty easy job.
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2020, 12:24 PM   #4
Likeanowl
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by niquehawk5 View Post
https://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1570544

Good luck.....hopefully you caught it soon enough.
That’s for the top mount charge cooler. That tank was full. The larger, lower tank closer to the headlights is what was low for me. I believe (but could be wrong) the top mount intercooler and the front mount heat exchanger are two separate systems.
Appreciate 1
      11-23-2020, 01:19 PM   #5
Likeanowl
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BzsBimmer View Post
Keep an eye on it. You could have slow leak at fins from front radiator causing a leak and evaporation during load.

If you haven’t seen any drips of coolant on your floor when parked for a while it could be an indication that it’s only leaking under load.

I believe they are split systems iirc.

*edit
Also are you seeing any coolant residue around your expansion tank seams? If so, that’s probably a good indicator where it’s going.

I did a write up on replacing. Pretty easy job.
As of now I’m seeing no evidence of leaks anywhere. I checked about as well as I could without taking anything apart or having it on a lift. The tank isn’t empty, it’s just low.
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2020, 01:36 PM   #6
niquehawk5
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Likeanowl View Post
That’s for the top mount charge cooler. That tank was full. The larger, lower tank closer to the headlights is what was low for me. I believe (but could be wrong) the top mount intercooler and the front mount heat exchanger are two separate systems.
Ahhhh....well thats "good" news. Misread your post.
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2020, 01:34 PM   #7
hC1001
Captain
Rep
Drives: E36 M3, F80 M3

Quote:
Your terminology is a little off.

The top mount intercooler, heat exchanger(for top mount) and passengerside bumper radiator is the low temp system.

The engine radiator and driverside bumper radiator is the high temp system that you are currently experiencing low coolant. When is the last time the system had been worked on or level checked? There could've been air in the system that finally moved its way to the tank and caused the level to go lower. You should fill it back up and recheck it after a couple miles. Try to refill and see if it stabilizes. If it never stabilizes, there is a leak somewhere... common leak point is the tank seams. If you see dried coolant around the tank seams, use a damp towel to clean it off and monitor it. If you see low coolant level again as well as dried coolant around the tank, you will need to replace the tank.

Last edited by hC1001; 11-24-2020 at 01:47 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2020, 01:39 PM   #8
Likeanowl
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hC1001 View Post
Your terminology is a little off.

The top mount intercooler, heat exchanger(for top mount) and passengerside bumper radiator is the same system.

The engine radiator and driverside bumper radiator is another system that you are currently experiencing low coolant. When is the last time the system had been worked on or level checked? There could've been air in the system that finally moved its way to the tank and caused the level to go lower. You should fill it back up and recheck it after a couple miles. Try to refill and see if it stabilizes. If it never stabilizes, there is a leak somewhere...
Thanks for the correction. I’m topping it off today and will check back tomorrow. Let’s hope it’s just low and not leaking.
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2020, 08:59 PM   #9
landonvan
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2015 f80 M3

Garage List
2009 E92 M3  [10.00]

This should help you understand your cooling system. The top reservoir is for the front mount heat exchanger and the top mount intercooler. The lower reservoir is your engine coolant. If you haven’t checked that one in a while then it could be low. You do loose some over time with the heating and cooling the engine does. Like others said. Fill it and check it in about a week.
Appreciate 1
scoale682.00
      12-03-2020, 01:32 AM   #10
scoale
Captain
Rep
Drives: M3 /M2C/540

Garage List
2018 BMW M3  [0.00]
2021 BMW M2  [10.00]
2018 BMW 540  [0.00]
2013 Porsche Boxster S  [0.00]
2013 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by landonvan View Post

This should help you understand your cooling system. The top reservoir is for the front mount heat exchanger and the top mount intercooler. The lower reservoir is your engine coolant. If you haven’t checked that one in a while then it could be low. You do loose some over time with the heating and cooling the engine does. Like others said. Fill it and check it in about a week.
You really did an outstanding job on this video
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2023, 12:42 PM   #11
jagus
Private
Rep
Drives: M3F80 - 135i N54 - 2x328ie36

Quote:
Thanks for the correction. I’m topping it off today and will check back tomorrow. Let’s hope it’s just low and not leaking.
Hello! Did you manage to find the issue with the low coolant level?
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2023, 01:07 PM   #12
Kilabyte
I'm Batman!
Poland
Rep
Drives: Mineral White M3 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by jagus View Post
It's always the same thing, leaking intercooler. Same thing happened to me.

S55, 2JZ, M48.00
Appreciate 1
      01-09-2023, 03:49 PM   #13
Dabeamerking
Second Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: m4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilabyte View Post
It's always the same thing, leaking intercooler. Same thing happened to me.
For him it wouldn’t be the intercooler. He specifically state the auxillery coolant was full and that the main reservoir was low. Therefore this pertains to the main radiator and engine and turbos.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2023, 03:50 PM   #14
Dabeamerking
Second Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: m4

Quote:
Originally Posted by jagus View Post
Leaking Low Coolant in main reservoir can be a lot of things. Engine, turbo main radiator, heat exchanger, water pump
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2023, 04:14 PM   #15
Kilabyte
I'm Batman!
Poland
Rep
Drives: Mineral White M3 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dabeamerking View Post
For him it wouldn’t be the intercooler. He specifically state the auxillery coolant was full and that the main reservoir was low. Therefore this pertains to the main radiator and engine and turbos.
Ah, reading 101 not even once.
I simply saw the title and figured it's 99.9 percent of these cases.

S55, 2JZ, M48.00
Appreciate 0