ARMA SPEED
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning

02-17-2019, 06:14 PM   #1
devinesoftware
Registered
Rep
Drives: '17 F82 YMB CPZ

First post!! Got a few questions

Had my '17 F82 YMB for about a week now and I'm pretty much a noob. This is the first high performance vehicle I've owned, so if some of this is dumb, I apologize.

Considering picking up a bm3 tune but I have a few questions:

1. There is a station nearby that sells 100+ octane racing fuel (alcohol based). Is it worth making the switch? Do I need to swap any of the OEM equipment to run it?

2. I'm assuming some of the tunes available from bm3 will increase the boost. I've also read the stock charge pipes are the weakest link in the s55 powerplant. Should I go ahead and order some aftermarket ones?

3. Is it safe to run the bm3 tunes with other mechanical modifications, for example a new air intake and exhaust system? What other more serious modifications like the Pure stage 2 turbo upgrade?

Thanks a ton in advance!
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2019, 06:32 PM   #2
Suds
/M Enthusiast
United_States
Rep
Drives: Responsiblish

Drive your car for a while, then start thinking about mods., but yes you can build a ///Monster if you want.

Last edited by Suds; 02-17-2019 at 06:42 PM..
Appreciate 3
SakhirM410784.50
blockdoc373.00
      02-25-2019, 07:21 PM   #3
mike@x-ph.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

You cannot go wrong with BM3 + Charge Pipe.

Yes its 100% safe to run bootmod3 with other mods.

I would not both with racing fuel for every day driving, use it on the track with one of BM3 race maps

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2019, 11:55 PM   #4
blockdoc
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by devinesoftware View Post
Had my '17 F82 YMB for about a week now and I'm pretty much a noob. This is the first high performance vehicle I've owned, so if some of this is dumb, I apologize.

1. There is a station nearby that sells 100+ octane racing fuel (alcohol based). Is it worth making the switch? Do I need to swap any of the OEM equipment to run it?

2. I'm assuming some of the tunes available from bm3 will increase the boost. I've also read the stock charge pipes are the weakest link in the s55 powerplant. Should I go ahead and order some aftermarket ones?

3. Is it safe to run the bm3 tunes with other mechanical modifications, for example a new air intake and exhaust system? What other more serious modifications like the Pure stage 2 turbo upgrade?

Thanks a ton in advance!
Welcome!

At the risk of sounding condescending....that is not my intention....if this truly is your first "high performance" car, you should DEFINITELY spend a few months getting used it, before you try and graduate to more power and modifications.

The STOCK M4 is a rear wheel drive, very high torque vehicle (many say it is "tail happy") meaning it can get away from you very quickly. It is a handful from the get go. I have modified my car quite a bit, but I have also been driving high horsepower rear wheel drive vehicles for 20 years. Even at "Stage 1 levels", traction is a real issue

Take some time and get to know the car before you stat changing it. Once you know it....have a blast!

Just some words of advice from a guy who has "been there"
Appreciate 1
      02-26-2019, 12:24 AM   #5
Alpine_F82
Just Building My M4 Track Car
United_States
Rep
Drives: 15’ M4 Alpine

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by devinesoftware View Post

Thanks a ton in advance!
If it is your first high performance car and a noob don’t get a tune yet. The F80 platform is a amazing car but it is very tail happy like someone else said. I’ve driven high performance vehicles before and still own a couple other right now and if I never drove a car before and didn’t know how to manage the power I would probably be in a tree somewhere because it takes skill to mange it and yes you see all the people running 600hp 800hp or even 1100hp 425hp stock will do a lot straight from the factory now if you want it faster no problem but I would advise to get some experience and get comfortable with the 425hp first before anything. When I bought my M4 I didn’t know how it was gonna control or anything and things can get away from you quick. You need to be able to know all the little quirks in the car before you run a tune especially bm3.

And I don’t know your full background but I’m just saying it’s really dangerous if you don’t have any experience in the field and especially with this car knowing how it controls

I’ve had the car for 11 months now and I’m still getting used to everything
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2019, 01:36 AM   #6
Justin.AutoTalent
Banned
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Welcome!

I would highly advise enjoying the car a bit before going balls to the walls

I enjoyed stock for break in, then progressively added mods and power. I went from just exhaust, to adding stage 1, to downpipes, then downpipes and a different exhaust, then stage 2.... Now I'm on E85 tuned to almost 600 whp.

On my last F80 I was tuned to stage 2 from 500 miles up to 32k miles. It kind of gets boring pretty quick as a daily
Appreciate 0