proTUNING Freaks
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > BMW M3 (F80) and BMW M4 (F82) General Forum

06-08-2016, 10:17 PM   #1
1M4
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 16 M4 Alp/Sakhir CF Roof 19"

Do the extra cooling fans come on automatically with the Sport Plus engine setting?

BIMMERPOST
     Featured on BIMMERPOST.com
Every time I put the car in sport plus throttle,I notice the fans come on extra strong.If I select the sport plus throttle but have not even driven off,how could extra cooling be needed?Wouldnt the cars temp or oil temp have to go up to activate the fans?
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2016, 10:20 PM   #2
Apollo_1092
SITH
Rep
Drives: M4

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1M4 View Post
Every time I put the car in sport plus throttle,I notice the fans come on extra strong.If I select the sport plus throttle but have not even driven off,how could extra cooling be needed?Wouldnt the cars temp or oil temp have to go up to activate the fans?
When you go to Sport+ the fans kick on to keep the oil at an even cooler level for better performance. It runs warmer when you're in efficient mode which makes in more efficient. Others here can provide you the more technical data, but that's the gist.
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2016, 10:22 PM   #3
1M4
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 16 M4 Alp/Sakhir CF Roof 19"

I figured it was to anticipate higher temps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apollo_1092 View Post
When you go to Sport+ the fans kick on to keep the oil at an even cooler level for better performance. It runs warmer when you're in efficient mode which makes in more efficient. Others here can provide you the more technical data, but that's the gist.
Maybe to get ahead of cooling needs before you really need them.
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2016, 10:24 PM   #4
Apollo_1092
SITH
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1M4 View Post
Maybe to get ahead of cooling needs before you really need them.
Yeah that would make sense. Didn't think of it that way.
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2016, 11:54 PM   #5
DaBean
Sakhir Smurf
Rep
Drives: Plaid, F82 M4, E46 M3, Sequoia

Garage List
2002 BMW X5 4.4i  [0.00]
2015 BMW M4  [0.00]
2004 BMW M3  [0.00]
So by that logic, is it better to go with Sport+ at the track? Or will regular Sport get the fans to come on early as well? (I would assume so)

Maybe it's just best to go to Sport+ when on cooldown lap and drive in the pits...

(note - I personally find Sport+ throttle mapping less effective on track)
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2016, 06:19 AM   #6
Apollo_1092
SITH
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBean View Post
So by that logic, is it better to go with Sport+ at the track? Or will regular Sport get the fans to come on early as well? (I would assume so)

Maybe it's just best to go to Sport+ when on cooldown lap and drive in the pits...

(note - I personally find Sport+ throttle mapping less effective on track)
I think at that point it's going to be personal preference? I've read that people seem to like how Sport feels (and the rev matching for the manuals) over the Sport+, and I would add you to that list as well. I don't think regular sport gets the fans to come on as early and I don't think it forces the car to run cooler like Sport+ does, but I have been known to be wrong.

I'm curious why you don't like Sport+ at the track? Full disclosure I have never taken my car to the track, and I like the sensitivity of Sport+ and don't think I have ever actually driven in Sport. So this is more of a learning experience for me.
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2016, 06:32 AM   #7
woobiee
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E46/F82

I drive in Sport+ everyday as default. With the extra cooling does that mean the fan (or other cooling components) will wear out sooner than normal?
      06-09-2016, 06:50 AM   #8
Apollo_1092
SITH
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by woobiee View Post
I drive in Sport+ everyday as default. With the extra cooling does that mean the fan (or other cooling components) will wear out sooner than normal?
No I wouldn't worry about it. People had concerns as well with the Auto Start/Stop and that wearing out the starter. They wouldn't put things like this into the design of the car and not engineer them to last. But things do happen.
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2016, 07:50 AM   #9
Tomm3
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: M3 F80 AY DCT

Hello,

Some tech explanation. Checked in the Hidden Menu (to unlock 7 last Vin digits needed):

When you drive in Efficient or Sport mode - coolant temp will be around 100-105 deg. Celsius.
If you switch to Sport Plus - coolant will go quickly (in about 1minute) down to 75 deg C.
That's why you hear the fans starting suddenly. The system just wants to bring the temp down asap.
Howewer - if you start to push the car hard (full throttle) the coolant temp will automatically go down the same - 75 degC regardless of your driving mode. Then after some minute of easy driving it will raise to 100 degC unless you are in Sport Plus.

In my opinion it is not good to drive gently in Sport Plus mode as colder engine may be more prone to inlet valve contamination (just my theory).

Tom
Appreciate 1
      06-09-2016, 07:54 AM   #10
BigSky702
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2016 M4 Sakhir Orange

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomm3 View Post
Hello,

Some tech explanation. Checked in the Hidden Menu (to unlock 7 last Vin digits needed):

When you drive in Efficient or Sport mode - coolant temp will be around 100-105 deg. Celsius.
If you switch to Sport Plus - coolant will go quickly (in about 1minute) down to 75 deg C.
That's why you hear the fans starting suddenly. The system just wants to bring the temp down asap.
Howewer - if you start to push the car hard (full throttle) the coolant temp will automatically go down the same - 75 degC regardless of your driving mode. Then after some minute of easy driving it will raise to 100 degC unless you are in Sport Plus.

In my opinion it is not good to drive gently in Sport Plus mode as colder engine may be more prone to inlet valve contamination (just my theory).

Tom
Sooo, stay with efficient or Sport, unless on track???
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2016, 08:13 AM   #11
Tomm3
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigSky702 View Post
Sooo, stay with efficient or Sport, unless on track???
That's what I do.
Usually Sport to enjoy the exhaust
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2016, 08:34 AM   #12
DaBean
Sakhir Smurf
Rep

Garage List
2002 BMW X5 4.4i  [0.00]
2015 BMW M4  [0.00]
2004 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apollo_1092 View Post
I think at that point it's going to be personal preference? I've read that people seem to like how Sport feels (and the rev matching for the manuals) over the Sport+, and I would add you to that list as well. I don't think regular sport gets the fans to come on as early and I don't think it forces the car to run cooler like Sport+ does, but I have been known to be wrong.

I'm curious why you don't like Sport+ at the track? Full disclosure I have never taken my car to the track, and I like the sensitivity of Sport+ and don't think I have ever actually driven in Sport. So this is more of a learning experience for me.
The reason I don't like Sport+ at the track is that it's harder to modulate the throttle.

As you (may or may not) know, smooth throttle application (same as smooth steering, smooth braking) is essential to setting a fast time and minimizing wear on the components. By compressing the throttle mapping - I'll make up numbers going forward - instead of getting 50% of the throttle in the first 50% depression of the pedal, you now get 80%. So your foot has to be that much more sensitive. But it's not like you get more power. And it's not like it takes considerably more time to go from 0 to 80% than it does to go from 0 to 50% of pedal travel. So really, you're just making your right foot have to work that much harder to achieve precision. Given how much torque we have in this car, it's even more important to have high precision in the throttle application - Sport+ just makes the job harder than it needs to be

I get it that on the street, the car "feels" more powerful because you get that much power that much faster. And that's why they have the mode. But I hope the above clears up why on track I don't recommend it.

Quote:
That's what I do.
Usually Sport to enjoy the exhaust
Same!
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2016, 09:40 AM   #13
CaryTheLabelGuy
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M4 ZCP

Quote:
Hello,

Tom
Tell me more about this "hidden menu" you speak of.
Appreciate 1
      06-09-2016, 12:40 PM   #14
Tomm3
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaryTheLabelGuy View Post
Tell me more about this "hidden menu" you speak of.

Try on Youtube: "F30 hidden menu"
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2016, 04:08 PM   #15
Tomm3
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBean View Post
The reason I don't like Sport+ at the track is that it's harder to modulate the throttle.

As you (may or may not) know, smooth throttle application (same as smooth steering, smooth braking) is essential to setting a fast time and minimizing wear on the components. By compressing the throttle mapping - I'll make up numbers going forward - instead of getting 50% of the throttle in the first 50% depression of the pedal, you now get 80%. So your foot has to be that much more sensitive. But it's not like you get more power. And it's not like it takes considerably more time to go from 0 to 80% than it does to go from 0 to 50% of pedal travel. So really, you're just making your right foot have to work that much harder to achieve precision. Given how much torque we have in this car, it's even more important to have high precision in the throttle application - Sport+ just makes the job harder than it needs to be

I get it that on the street, the car "feels" more powerful because you get that much power that much faster. And that's why they have the mode. But I hope the above clears up why on track I don't recommend it.

Same!

I agree with you. According to my observation in Sport Plus we have at about 50-60% of accel pedal movement already full throttle. In Sport it decreases and in Efficient probablu 100% of pedal movement is usable.
So what about this?

http://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=975864

"There are three driving modes: EFFICIENT, SPORT and SPORT PLUS. In terms of engine activity, do these simply alter the accelerator curve?

No. With an M automobile, racetrack use is always an essential factor. Here it is necessary in all cases to be able to control very high power outputs with great precision using the accelerator pedal. For us, this means that we would not even consider a mode in which a small pedal movement would produce a great leap in power. In such a case it would not be possible to produce a measured power output. Which is why we prefer to create a largely linear torque curve controlled by the travel distance of the accelerator pedal."
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2016, 08:45 PM   #16
DaBean
Sakhir Smurf
Rep

Garage List
2002 BMW X5 4.4i  [0.00]
2015 BMW M4  [0.00]
2004 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
I agree with you. According to my observation in Sport Plus we have at about 50-60% of accel pedal movement already full throttle. In Sport it decreases and in Efficient probablu 100% of pedal movement is usable.
So what about this?

http://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=975864

"There are three driving modes: EFFICIENT, SPORT and SPORT PLUS. In terms of engine activity, do these simply alter the accelerator curve?

No. With an M automobile, racetrack use is always an essential factor. Here it is necessary in all cases to be able to control very high power outputs with great precision using the accelerator pedal. For us, this means that we would not even consider a mode in which a small pedal movement would produce a great leap in power. In such a case it would not be possible to produce a measured power output. Which is why we prefer to create a largely linear torque curve controlled by the travel distance of the accelerator pedal."
Interesting perspective. Looks like I'll have to give it another shot, if what he says is accurate...
Appreciate 0