proTUNING Freaks
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > BMW M3 (F80) and BMW M4 (F82) General Forum

11-07-2019, 08:55 PM   #23
robbylou
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike991M4 View Post
looks like my screw up when I powdercoated the brakes. I've got fluid leakage. However, its got to be tiny, because I've driven the car 1500 miles over 2 and a half months before the fluid got low.

Dealer wants 6800 for new calipers. I bought 4 rebuild kits from rock auto for $40 instead.

One of my jobs is owning a powdercoat business specializing in rebuilding and refinishing brake calipers. (mostly retired from it now) I've done about 4000 sets of brakes since 2004, so rebuilding them won't be an issue. I'm just glad the set that failed was on my own car.
I know this is a couple years old but I woke up to a similar set of warnings. Were all of yours related to the brake fluid level or was something damaged in the area? I actually had the dealer flush brake fluid a couple weeks ago.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      11-09-2019, 11:34 AM   #24
2015f82m4
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Yas Marina 2015 M4 6MT

this is not the same issue i had, but i had the code p10e2 and clicking under my hood. ended up being a $2000 fix for the valvetronic motor and other misc parts. i can post the repair invoice if you'd like but the clicking noise under the hood is probablyy coming from the valvetronic motor/eccentric shaft
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2019, 07:56 AM   #25
cipri
Q3D
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Garage List
2015 F80 M3  [0.00]
2009 E92 M3 6MT  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2015f82m4 View Post
this is not the same issue i had, but i had the code p10e2 and clicking under my hood. ended up being a $2000 fix for the valvetronic motor and other misc parts. i can post the repair invoice if you'd like but the clicking noise under the hood is probablyy coming from the valvetronic motor/eccentric shaft
Same repair here, the valvetronic motor
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2019, 05:28 PM   #26
robbylou
Private First Class
Rep

UPDATE

The dealer said it is a brake fluid leak related to a failed caliper seal. They are trying to tell me it is unrelated to the brake fluid flush that they performed for me 3 weeks ago... interesting coincidence if that is the case (car has 40k miles but is out of warranty based on time). They want to replace the caliper rather than the seals so if they are not going to cover it, I'll be looking for a shop to replace the caliper seals.

Any recs around Greenwich, CT?

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbylou View Post
I know this is a couple years old but I woke up to a similar set of warnings. Were all of yours related to the brake fluid level or was something damaged in the area? I actually had the dealer flush brake fluid a couple weeks ago.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2019, 10:10 PM   #27
2015f82m4
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Yas Marina 2015 M4 6MT

Quote:
The dealer said it is a brake fluid leak related to a failed caliper seal. They are trying to tell me it is unrelated to the brake fluid flush that they performed for me 3 weeks ago... interesting coincidence if that is the case (car has 40k miles but is out of warranty based on time). They want to replace the caliper rather than the seals so if they are not going to cover it, I'll be looking for a shop to replace the caliper seals.

best BMW shop is Munich Motorsports in East Windsor, CT. Its about 1.5 hours from Greenwich, but great shop. If you want to go to NY which is closer RK Tunes is a great shop too.
Appreciate 1
      11-15-2019, 08:02 AM   #28
Bimmer Pleaser
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: nothing

Quote:

This is almost certainly due to the brake fluid flush job they did; brake caliper is pretty much a lifetime component unless maltreated. Don't let the stealership off the hook.
Appreciate 1
      11-22-2019, 09:21 PM   #29
robbylou
Private First Class
Rep

I ended up pulling the caliper myself today. Very clear that the brake fluid was coming from the bleeder screw and not the piston seals. Pretty sure they simply didn't tighten it after the flush. What we can't figure out is what they actually checked when I brought it back following the warnings. The write up just says caliper leaking recommend new caliper. When I picked it up all of the lights were still on so they clearly hadn't added any brake fluid. Seems like they just pulled the wheel, saw the bubbled paint around the bleed screw and said there was a leak.

Anyway, i ended up bringing the caliper to the dealership and the service director checked it out and ultimately apologized profusely and refunded the charges.
Appreciate 1
      11-25-2019, 02:20 PM   #30
Bimmer Pleaser
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: nothing

Quote:
I ended up pulling the caliper myself today. Very clear that the brake fluid was coming from the bleeder screw and not the piston seals. Pretty sure they simply didn't tighten it after the flush. What we can't figure out is what they actually checked when I brought it back following the warnings. The write up just says caliper leaking recommend new caliper. When I picked it up all of the lights were still on so they clearly hadn't added any brake fluid. Seems like they just pulled the wheel, saw the bubbled paint around the bleed screw and said there was a leak.

Anyway, i ended up bringing the caliper to the dealership and the service director checked it out and ultimately apologized profusely and refunded the charges.
So you just tightened the bleeder screw and added fluid and got all set? You won this round but makes you wonder how often they get away with this crap. I understand their first mistake (not tightening the screw) but not properly inspecting it after you brought it back is pretty messed up.
Appreciate 0