GetBMWParts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

06-26-2019, 11:30 PM   #1
yeg_m_club
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: ymb m4

Thoughts on v2 m performance steering wheel

Recently thinking of change the steering wheels.
i really like the V2 steering wheel, the thickness and the flat bottom.also half alcantara half leather, i guess its easier to maintain than all alcantara one.
whats your thoughts about it, who got this steering wheel on hand??? any regrets on it??

Appreciate!!!
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2019, 11:51 PM   #2
exmike
Rep
Drives: F82

delete
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2019, 12:35 AM   #3
FSHNGRY
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: INDIVIDUAL F90 M5C LCI

Garage List
The blue strip indeed fades, more specifically right at the crease on the wheel- If you're Ok with a quick fix, buy a quality permanent marker.

One of my favorite mods. The alcantara has kept up GREAT after roughly 2.5 years of having it installed on my car. WAY better than previous alcantara experiences I've had. DO IT!
GONE: '05 E46 ZHP | LOADED | DINAN STG3 PKG |

IG: @FSHNGRY
Appreciate 1
      06-27-2019, 12:50 AM   #4
NickyC
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: M4 CS. Former G82, x2 F82, F80

It's an absolutely fantastic wheel. I had one for a little while, but only replaced because I was saving up for a Nexon wheel. You won't be disappointed!
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2019, 07:07 AM   #5
matty088
Major
Rep
Drives: 335i

i own it. love the feel and look. very worries about the longevity of it.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2019, 07:12 AM   #6
Tommy L Garage
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2017 YMB M3 6MT CP EP VP

I love my wheel.
My blue strip has been holding up strong for almost 2 years now.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2019, 10:29 AM   #7
akack79
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: '18 F80 M3 ZCP

Installed for about 3 months now, absolutely love the looks and feel.

3 observations:

Wheel thickness is not uniform: the top leather portion is thinner than rest of wheel.

Seen complaints about the blue strip fading but haven't had mine long enough to comment on.

Bottom part is not really flat, more like its slightly rotated, hard to explain.
      06-27-2019, 01:52 PM   #8
x.shell
▆ ✚✚   ▆▆▆▆▆▆
Rep
Drives: ▋ ▉▉

Quote:
Originally Posted by yeg_m_club View Post
Recently thinking of change the steering wheels.
i really like the V2 steering wheel, the thickness and the flat bottom.also half alcantara half leather, i guess its easier to maintain than all alcantara one.
whats your thoughts about it, who got this steering wheel on hand??? any regrets on it??

Appreciate!!!
I've had my V2 for almost 2 years of daily driving now and here is my take on it.

I thought I would like the wheel for all the reasons you mentioned above and some: half alcantara/leather, the flat bottom, and the different shape on the top half.

Turns out, I dislike all of those things.

The half/half annoys me some times. I wish it was all leather or all alcantara. The alcantara is not that hard to maintain; just soap and water once a month will keep it looking new, and I have sweaty hands. The leather part is actually more difficult to keep looking new but, again, soap and water will keep it looking matte and new.

The flat bottom is not really a flat bottom. In fact, it's like they took a circle, pinched the bottom corners and pulled them out. So essentially, the steering wheel is bigger than stock. I wish it was a true flat bottom like the Audis.

I thought I would love the top half of the wheel where the shape transitions into an edge. I dislike this part the most. The edge bothers me and it's really thin compared to the rest of the wheel. I try to avoid putting my hands on the top area because it doesn't feel good or natural at all. And even though I hardly ever touch the top half of the wheel, my blue stripe faded/chipped off along the edge (like everyone else). Go figure.

I do think the wheel looks good though.

It's on my list to change the wheel out to the V1 or CS wheel whenever I get to that part of my mod-list (it's pretty much at the bottom of the list at the moment).

Appreciate 1
SherM4n630.00
      06-27-2019, 09:47 PM   #9
matty088
Major
Rep

I feel
Like I end up keeping my hands off the alcantara Bc it seems like it won’t last. Which is shame on me Bc that’s where your hands are suppose to go and that’s the entire purpose of the wheel.

I am not sure a steering wheel is suppose to be alcantara.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2019, 12:48 AM   #10
yeg_m_club
Private
Canada
Rep

Thanks for everyone's input. decent reviews
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2019, 12:58 AM   #11
hellokitty
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 M3 ZCP DCT

Use gloves
2017 F80 M3 ZCP / AA GESI DPs / Akrapovic Evo / BBS FI-R 19" / Bend Calibration ECUTEK Flex Fuel | Bilstein B16 DDC + CS EDC / BMC Filters / BMS OCC / CSF HE / ESS CP / Nitto NT555R2 / PD Crank Hub / SPL Suspension / Uniden R7 / Wagner Top Mount IC

2021 Mini GP3 / BMC Filters / BM3 / Cary Jordan E30 / Wagner IC / Remus Race
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2019, 01:07 AM   #12
yeg_m_club
Private
Canada
Rep

do you guys miss the heated steering at all???
i am ok to give up the lane assist, but heat steering umm i not really sure. winters in vancouver
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2019, 02:57 PM   #13
Ferg
Master of my own domain!!
Rep
Drives: F82 M4/F15 X5

Hardly used my heated function, even in the winter. I used it once, it was a neat little gimmick, never after that. As for the blue stripe, mine faded. I got me a roll of 1/2" gloss red vinyl tape and covered the blue; it now matches my IND start/stop and M1/M2 buttons.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2019, 10:17 PM   #14
Spiff7
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW F80 M3 ZCP

I went back and forth on this decision for the longest time. One of my favorite features on all my cars is a heated steering wheel. My hands are always cold. However, coming from previous BMWs with the M sport package and already having this exact steering wheel it just didn't feel special to me. I really wanted something different for the M. So after searching for options with trying to keep the heating feature I couldn't find what I ultimately hoped for. I narrowed it down to the V2 and CS style wheels. I loved the look of the V2 with the squarish bottom but wished it didn't have that blue stripe. It might be cool if you had a YAS and then it matches. I much preferred the subtleness of the center marker on the CS wheel but I was not thrilled of it being all alcantara and wanted that square looking bottom. The idea of alcantara on both wheels also concerned me. Of course I researched quite a bit and you will read horror stories about how gross it can get. By this point I thought I would just stick with the OEM wheel and enjoy keeping the heating feature. Yet everyday I would continue to look and kept finding myself staring at pics of the V2. Well one day, I came across a great deal on a brand new one so I figured this was my chance just go for it. I will say it was the best decision I could have made and wished I had done it sooner. It literally transformed the car. Every time I get in the car and grip the wheel I feel like I'm in a race car. This car should have come with a steering wheel like this from the start. Something more special than you can get on any 3 serious with M package. But then again this car for the money should have also come with a rear diffuser and we can probably add plenty of other things to add on to this list haha. Regarding the cold, I find that the wheel does not get cold like the OEM leather wheel. The leather parts on this one will get just as cold but I'm gripping the alcantara part most of the time and it's totally fine temp wise. It won't heat up obviously but it will not be cold either, more cool to the touch. Vise versa in summer, it won't get hot but rather warm. As for the alcantara, I don't have sweaty or greasy hands so I'm not finding or seeing any issues with it. I have yet to clean it but I feel like I don't want to risk cleaning it if it doesn't need it. In summary I love the V2 wheel and would not hesitate to make the same decision again. You will feel like you are in a different car with it and for the better. You should definitely consider it and try someone's out if you can. Goodluck with your decision!
2008 E92 328xi (retired)
2001 E46 325xi (retired)
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2019, 08:33 PM   #15
yeg_m_club
Private
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiff7 View Post
I went back and forth on this decision for the longest time. One of my favorite features on all my cars is a heated steering wheel. My hands are always cold. However, coming from previous BMWs with the M sport package and already having this exact steering wheel it just didn't feel special to me. I really wanted something different for the M. So after searching for options with trying to keep the heating feature I couldn't find what I ultimately hoped for. I narrowed it down to the V2 and CS style wheels. I loved the look of the V2 with the squarish bottom but wished it didn't have that blue stripe. It might be cool if you had a YAS and then it matches. I much preferred the subtleness of the center marker on the CS wheel but I was not thrilled of it being all alcantara and wanted that square looking bottom. The idea of alcantara on both wheels also concerned me. Of course I researched quite a bit and you will read horror stories about how gross it can get. By this point I thought I would just stick with the OEM wheel and enjoy keeping the heating feature. Yet everyday I would continue to look and kept finding myself staring at pics of the V2. Well one day, I came across a great deal on a brand new one so I figured this was my chance just go for it. I will say it was the best decision I could have made and wished I had done it sooner. It literally transformed the car. Every time I get in the car and grip the wheel I feel like I'm in a race car. This car should have come with a steering wheel like this from the start. Something more special than you can get on any 3 serious with M package. But then again this car for the money should have also come with a rear diffuser and we can probably add plenty of other things to add on to this list haha. Regarding the cold, I find that the wheel does not get cold like the OEM leather wheel. The leather parts on this one will get just as cold but I'm gripping the alcantara part most of the time and it's totally fine temp wise. It won't heat up obviously but it will not be cold either, more cool to the touch. Vise versa in summer, it won't get hot but rather warm. As for the alcantara, I don't have sweaty or greasy hands so I'm not finding or seeing any issues with it. I have yet to clean it but I feel like I don't want to risk cleaning it if it doesn't need it. In summary I love the V2 wheel and would not hesitate to make the same decision again. You will feel like you are in a different car with it and for the better. You should definitely consider it and try someone's out if you can. Goodluck with your decision!
Nice!!!thanks so much
Appreciate 1
Spiff7115.00
      06-30-2019, 01:21 PM   #16
dave12285
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW M4 CS

I know it's not the exact question but I've had multi material wheels, on the rim of the wheel, before and they have never held up as well as a solid material. I personally love Alcantara or suede and think it makes the driving experience great. I had the V1 wheel in my old F80 and have the CS wheel in my F82 CS. Cheers!
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2019, 02:46 PM   #17
yeg_m_club
Private
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave12285 View Post
I know it's not the exact question but I've had multi material wheels, on the rim of the wheel, before and they have never held up as well as a solid material. I personally love Alcantara or suede and think it makes the driving experience great. I had the V1 wheel in my old F80 and have the CS wheel in my F82 CS. Cheers!
The CS wheel is good!!! easy to maintain?
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2019, 09:12 AM   #18
dave12285
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW M4 CS

Quote:
The CS wheel is good!!! easy to maintain?
Well I only have 800 miles on it so far but considering its very similar to the V1 wheel I'd imagine the maintenance is very low. I never had any matted parts of the wheel and just a bit of soap and water with a towel or soft brush works fine. The important part with an Alcantara wheel is to have dry hands and no lotion or sunscreen when driving.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2019, 11:01 PM   #19
hellokitty
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

V2 wheel is awesome even though I hated it at first lol
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2019, 10:34 AM   #20
matty088
Major
Rep

mine is hardily used. I am very cautious how clean my hands are before i touch the wheel. Yet i feel like the alcantara where my thumbs are is starting to deteriorating. As a result i am starting to not touch the alcantara intentionally ..which is stupid and defeats the whole thing.
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2019, 02:25 PM   #21
yeg_m_club
Private
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by matty088 View Post
mine is hardily used. I am very cautious how clean my hands are before i touch the wheel. Yet i feel like the alcantara where my thumbs are is starting to deteriorating. As a result i am starting to not touch the alcantara intentionally ..which is stupid and defeats the whole thing.
yes sir. thats thing i am worried about. my M4 is my daily, so i can not make sure my hands are perfectly clean everytime i get on the car. ironically, we try to prevent alcantara off and not touch it, then why we change it lol
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2019, 02:26 PM   #22
hellokitty
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
yes sir. thats thing i am worried about. my M4 is my daily, so i can not make sure my hands are perfectly clean everytime i get on the car. ironically, we try to prevent alcantara off and not touch it, then why we change it lol
Just wear driving gloves (bmw m gloves). I do that every time I drive the M and my steering wheel is perfect.
Appreciate 0