Pandora Car Alarm System
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

03-26-2014, 05:37 PM   #23
Carl L
Major
Rep
Drives: '15 M3

Adaptive suspension makes these very comfortable, I'm sure the F8X will be even more so. Comfort is also the fastest (read "confidence inspiring) setting on city streets as it absorbs mid corner ridges amazingly.

Compared to an S-Class, the ride is rough, compared to just about anything else it's plenty smooth.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2014, 06:43 PM   #24
Jedi_M
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3 MG/SO

Quote:
Originally Posted by stressdoc View Post
Hmmm... Having a 335 week one build with ZSP, my fix was to dump the runflats and stiffen everything up further. I never thought the original ride was "buckboard" but the runflats seemed wooden. Regardless I expect a superb enthusiast suspension on the F8x. I don't want a Lexus.
I thought that the cars come standard with run flat tires, tire pressure monitoring system and no spare. How can you switch out the run flats for conventional tires without the risk of getting a flat and being stuck?
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2014, 06:48 PM   #25
CanAutM3
General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2021 911 turbo

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by OnYourLeft View Post
I thought that the cars come standard with run flat tires, tire pressure monitoring system and no spare. How can you switch out the run flats for conventional tires without the risk of getting a flat and being stuck?
M3 have been delivered with with high performance non-runflat tires for quite a while now. There is a useless "mobility" repair kit in the trunk instead of a spare, so if you get a flat, you need to call a towing (don't ask how I know ).
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2014, 07:03 PM   #26
aus
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Odysse

Threads like this make me sad.
Let me get this straight... You are swapping out parts designed by some of the top engineers in the world because some guys sponsored by a company told you it's "better??" But when you ask the same guy about tracking, "oh no, I have a kid now" or "I just detailed my car." or "i just got new tires."
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2014, 02:43 AM   #27
stressdoc
Dominica
Rep
Drives: BMW i8; Toy 4runner TRD pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnYourLeft View Post
I keep an electric tire pump and plugger kit for repairs in the trunk. Plugs are pretty easy to use once you have done it a few times. I have a tractor, and when hauling thorny locust trees around got dozens of flat tires. Plugging was easy. Grab thorn (or nail...) with pliers, pull it out. Put sticky rubber plug in plugger tool. Ram it into hole, pull back out carefully, leaving both ends of plug emerging from hole. Snip excess if necessary. Reinflate tire. Pour beer or whatever over repair to check for bubbles. Any hole in sidewall, or anything that cut through structural cords = new tire; but simple in the tread repairs are pretty safe at any speed.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2014, 09:00 AM   #28
JoeFromPA
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '15 AW M3 6MT Stripper

Quote:
Originally Posted by aus View Post
Threads like this make me sad.
Why? It's an all-season car, a cross-trainer. Some people want their car to be a bit more track oriented, some care a bit more about comfort.

I drive 15-20k miles a year and ALOT of those miles are on very poorly maintained highways. Even in such a setting, I enjoy the lithe agility of a smaller and lighter vehicle with plenty of power on tap, great braking, and alive steering.

But I also enjoy a car that can take the rough edges off.

Let me give a really timely analogy: My e39 m5 is on a dinan stage 2 suspension, which is a fairly soft suspension that is more oriented to track use than the stock suspension, but without much ride quality sacrifice. I just had continental DW tires put on.

It now has probably the best ride quality I could ask for - it is low and connected to the ground, with amazing weight control/balance. However, these tires do an excellent job absorbing small bumps and taking harshness out of larger bumps/potholes.

If I spend $70k on a brand new m3, I'd like it to offer me superior handling and better ride comfort than my 13 year old, modified M-series sedan of similar proportion. And I don't want to have to tweak anything more to get that.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2014, 09:56 AM   #29
aus
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Odysse

We're talking about a car from BMW. It's NOT going to rattle your teeth- there is NO WAY BMW would release such a car. If anything, it's going to be a little softer than is should be. I'd be more concerned about the suspension leanng too far towards comfort than sport. As was obviously the case for your E39 M5.

Let me get this straight... You are swapping out parts designed by some of the top engineers in the world because some guys sponsored by a company told you it's "better??" But when you ask the same guy about tracking, "oh no, I have a kid now" or "I just detailed my car." or "i just got new tires."
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2014, 02:45 AM   #30
JoeFromPA
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '15 AW M3 6MT Stripper

Absolutely, though for instance the e46 m3 was pretty close to 'teeth rattling'.

BMW has long been one of the only car manufacturers that combined very nice connectedness with a velvety smooth suspension that managed to both react quickly and stay in touch with the road while taking off all harsh edges.

The f30, for example, is more of a bank vault than my e39 in terms of feel. It's also more tossable (though my e39 is far more "germanic" in heft of movements). However, I wouldn't exactly say the f30 is super in tune with the road.

Anyway, I feel I've gotten an answer to my question about the e90 m3 and ride comfort. The biggest difference appears to have been tires alone.
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2014, 03:32 AM   #31
tisme
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 in Sakhir Orange

Garage List
I'm curious. I have an MSport 330d, how does the suspension in comfort mode on existing M3s compare to the MSport models? I'd expect it to be similar.
      04-01-2014, 05:40 AM   #32
CanAutM3
General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2021 911 turbo

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by tisme View Post
I'm curious. I have an MSport 330d, how does the suspension in comfort mode on existing M3s compare to the MSport models? I'd expect it to be similar.
Based on my experience with the E9X ///M and non-M models, I believe there will be little similarity between the F8X and F3X even in M-sport guise. The suspension on the F8X is significantly modified (wider track, different suspension arms lengths and weight, different subframes and attachments, and different spring and shock tuning.
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2014, 06:58 AM   #33
mkoesel
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW for now

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeFromPA View Post
Anyway, I feel I've gotten an answer to my question about the e90 m3 and ride comfort. The biggest difference appears to have been tires alone.
One note on that. We put non-RFT all-season tires on my wife's E90 335i Sport for the last year or so we had it, but the E93 M3 (which is non-EDC, even) still had the more comfortable ride. So it's not all the RFT, though I will certainly agree with others that the 335i without RFT was definitely less harsh than it was with RFT.

Now, both cars had 18" wheels, so the M3 had the taller sidewall. I'm sure that makes a difference as well. Same would be true for the F3x vs. F8x because again the latter have more sidewall for a given wheel size. And obviously if you go with the 19" wheels instead of the 18" ones that gives you a shorter sidewall as well.

In any case, I honestly think the car will be just fine for you. My E93 M3 is much less jolting than the E46 M3 was, and I suspect the F8x will further improve the situation.
Appreciate 0