Next Level Auto Brokers
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > BMW M3 (F80) and BMW M4 (F82) General Forum

05-18-2016, 07:32 AM   #177
absoluteis350
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2016 Singapore Grey M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by aboulfad View Post
It seems it's a general trend that some owners are willing to take that risk, even if small, of bricking an $$$ ECU... but it's possible that the guys that charge for it may know something we don't... And hence why they say it's safe and I bet they give a written warranty. And for those that want to DIY, be ready for many unpredictable things that can happen. A fellow had his car in transport mode while doing it... This is not coding "easy entry" or ASD off! Better know the risks ahead then blindly diving in
Dude.. this isn't black magic.. it's software. If you flash it wrong, you just flash it back to your backup/original configuration. It isn't like the dealer is going to do anything different to fix a bad flash. The ECU doesn't run on dealer pixie magic dust. It's software. Not a big deal.
Appreciate 1
      05-18-2016, 07:51 AM   #178
aboulfad
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4 MG/SO

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by absoluteis350 View Post
Dude.. this isn't black magic.. it's software. If you flash it wrong, you just flash it back to your backup/original configuration. It isn't like the dealer is going to do anything different to fix a bad flash. The ECU doesn't run on dealer pixie magic dust. It's software. Not a big deal.
I appreciate your optimism and views, I tend to over analyze things. My point was specific to people who are flashing ECUs without having adequate power supply, not just the flashing operation which carries its own risks.

Please read the countless threads where people's cars were in transport mode and only because of special super nice super patient super knowledgeable person that they got out of their mess, or the others that flatbed their cars to the dealers and paid few hundred $. Those stories aren't here but they are not a myth and are a reality. I am not saying all hell will break loose but you need to be careful when flashing your car's ECUs. It is not upgrading an iPhone iOS operation...

If you have updated your F8x I-step successfully numerous times, then I invite you over to the DIY section to volunteer your experiences and knowledge that would definitely help future DIYers. As a matter of fact I am still researching the risk in flashing one of the most troublesome ECU, FEM_GW using Esys/ENET for our cars, it would be greatly appreciated if you have any pointers ? Respectfully.
Appreciate 2
      05-18-2016, 08:19 AM   #179
Bluex
Useful Idiot
United_States
Rep
Drives: My wife and kids insane.

Garage List
2015 BMW F80 M3  [10.00]
Quote:
I appreciate your optimism and views, I tend to over analyze things. My point was specific to people who are flashing ECUs without having adequate power supply, not just the flashing operation which carries its own risks.

Please read the countless threads where people's cars were in transport mode and only because of special super nice super patient super knowledgeable person that they got out of their mess, or the others that flatbed their cars to the dealers and paid few hundred $. Those stories aren't here but they are not a myth and are a reality. I am not saying all hell will break loose but you need to be careful when flashing your car's ECUs. It is not upgrading an iPhone iOS operation...

If you have updated your F8x I-step successfully numerous times, then I invite you over to the DIY section to volunteer your experiences and knowledge that would definitely help future DIYers. As a matter of fact I am still researching the risk in flashing one of the most troublesome ECU, FEM_GW using Esys/ENET for our cars, it would be greatly appreciated if you have any pointers ? Respectfully.
Agreed with your perspective.

I don't disagree with the perspective of absoluteis350 either. Yes it is only software and it all can be fixed.

But coming from 20 years in IT, everything can be fixed (with moderate preparation and backups), that's not the point. It comes down to how much of a pain in the ass, how long, and how expensive it is to fix.

We tend to want our software updates to go smoothly and uneventfully

I much prefer the conservative viewpoint when it comes to flashing my ECU

My European Delivery Thread
Appreciate 1
      05-18-2016, 08:43 AM   #180
neo871
Major
Romania
Rep
Drives: 340i xDrive MPPSK

Quote:
You are welcome, and if it's any consolation, given your car's sw is one of the oldest reported in this thread, you may experience the most improvements like going from a Motorola AMPS cell phone to an iPhone 6S+ (just kidding)
i will report back when I'll have it done

I see that the newest in your list is 58.2, but actually the latest one is 58.3, correct?
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2016, 08:49 AM   #181
aboulfad
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4 MG/SO

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by neo871 View Post
i will report back when I'll have it done
I see that the newest in your list is 58.2, but actually the latest one is 58.3, correct?
Correct, Master didn't have the ISTA/P 58.3 I-step overview. I'll update my post above.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2016, 09:04 AM   #182
sandjam
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016

My car is arriving in port on Friday. It has a build date of Apr27th 2016. Lets say for example it DOES have the latest version installed. The first thing I want to do is code the Euro LED Headlights. That coding requires changing the VO and the updating then ECU's to their factory settings. My question is, where do the ECU's get those factory settings from? The software on the ECU's themselves or from the ESYS software? If from ESYS wouldn't I be losing the latest update revisions if I had older ESYS files? Or am I totally off base?
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2016, 09:11 AM   #183
mephiska
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandjam View Post
My car is arriving in port on Friday. It has a build date of Apr27th 2016. Lets say for example it DOES have the latest version installed. The first thing I want to do is code the Euro LED Headlights. That coding requires changing the VO and the updating then ECU's to their factory settings. My question is, where do the ECU's get those factory settings from? The software on the ECU's themselves or from the ESYS software? If from ESYS wouldn't I be losing the latest update revisions if I had older ESYS files? Or am I totally off base?
If you are going to VO code properly you should be reading all the current settings off your ECUs and modify that. You won't be coding old settings that didn't come from your car onto it.
      05-18-2016, 09:58 AM   #184
sandjam
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by mephiska View Post
If you are going to VO code properly you should be reading all the current settings off your ECUs and modify that. You won't be coding old settings that didn't come from your car onto it.
Ok, so what you are saying is the factory default settings come from the car not the ESYS software files?

So if I am on the latest version when my car arrives then I change the VO and recode the ECU's to their defaults for the new VO, it would be resetting the ECU's to those latest defaults based on the version my car came with?
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2016, 10:26 AM   #185
philthy84
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 X2

Going for my 1 year service next Thursday and hopefully my SA will update my firmware. I'm sure my firmware is one of the older ones, my M4's build week was in early April last year. I wish I could check what the exact firmware number is, I tried the USB export profile thing suggested earlier in this thread but my BMW USB key fob gift is not being read by my iDrive after reformatting it to exFAT and FAT32. Will try again later with another USB stick since the BMW key fob USB was not working.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2016, 10:27 AM   #186
brian30tw
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F80 delivered in Munich

I think someone mentioned this possibility already, but I don't remember seeing anybody with an actual confirmation:

Has anybody paid their dealer to perform this upgrade (i.e., just truthfully told their SA what they wanted and paid for it, instead of trying to have it covered under warranty)? If so, how much did it cost, and what were the charges for (just the hourly rate?).

It seems like it could be worth it for some of us with older builds. I certainly wouldn't pay for every single upgrade, but this one seems particularly meaty.

Thanks,
Brian
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2016, 12:31 PM   #187
///M///
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2016 Manual AW F80

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian30tw View Post
I think someone mentioned this possibility already, but I don't remember seeing anybody with an actual confirmation:

Has anybody paid their dealer to perform this upgrade (i.e., just truthfully told their SA what they wanted and paid for it, instead of trying to have it covered under warranty)? If so, how much did it cost, and what were the charges for (just the hourly rate?).

It seems like it could be worth it for some of us with older builds. I certainly wouldn't pay for every single upgrade, but this one seems particularly meaty.

Thanks,
Brian
You don't want it to be hourly with the dealer. They have some ridiculous hourly rates.

My Amazing European Delivery Story
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2016, 12:40 PM   #188
brian30tw
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M/// View Post
You don't want it to be hourly with the dealer. They have some ridiculous hourly rates.
Agreed! Just curious how they would try to charge for it.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2016, 12:44 PM   #189
al3xander
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 M3

Quote:
1 hour labor charge to update
Appreciate 1
      05-18-2016, 12:58 PM   #190
MNoob
Grand Duke
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 M4CSL

Garage List
2024 BMW X3MC  [10.00]
2005 Lotus Elise  [10.00]
2023 BMW M4 CSL  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by al3xander
Quote:
For under $200, it's worth it.
      05-18-2016, 01:03 PM   #191
Bluex
Useful Idiot
United_States
Rep
Drives: My wife and kids insane.

Garage List
2015 BMW F80 M3  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by al3xander View Post
Really? Is this true? Some have stated it took upwards of 5 hours to complete the 58.3 update.

Just curious.

My European Delivery Thread
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2016, 01:16 PM   #192
al3xander
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluex View Post
Really? Is this true? Some have stated it took upwards of 5 hours to complete the 58.3 update.

Just curious.
Its very possible it will take that long but the dealer will just charge you 1 hours labor to do it. Atleast my shop will. The technician has to pull the car into the bay and set up the programming and then let the vehicle sit while the new firmware is being uploaded. If your dealer tries to ask for more than 1 hour id shop around
Appreciate 2
      05-18-2016, 01:37 PM   #193
brian30tw
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Its very possible it will take that long but the dealer will just charge you 1 hours labor to do it. Atleast my shop will. The technician has to pull the car into the bay and set up the programming and then let the vehicle sit while the new firmware is being uploaded. If your dealer tries to ask for more than 1 hour id shop around
Awesome, thank you for that! I am definitely going to ask about it when I'm in for my next oil change this summer.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2016, 01:38 PM   #194
///M///
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2016 Manual AW F80

Quote:
Yeah but as long as it occupies a bay, they are likely to charge the time for it.

My Amazing European Delivery Story
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2016, 01:45 PM   #195
mdemon
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: AY F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian30tw

Thanks,
Brian
My dealer has asked for $205 for performing the "infamous" update.
Appreciate 1
      05-18-2016, 02:08 PM   #196
jm600rr
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M8C Coupe

Quote:

Thanks,
Brian
Mine wanted $225
Appreciate 1
      05-18-2016, 02:09 PM   #197
BigSky702
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2016 M4 Sakhir Orange

Quote:
Originally Posted by jm600rr View Post
Mine wanted $225
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdemon View Post
Are either of you going to pay for it???
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2016, 02:20 PM   #198
mdemon
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: AY F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigSky702
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm600rr View Post
Mine wanted $225
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdemon View Post
Are either of you going to pay for it???
No. I just told him what can you do for a brother?

His reply: Call you after work!!

I'll keep you guys posted!
Appreciate 1