Mo Reviews
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

01-15-2021, 11:25 AM   #1
stevehifi
Captain
Rep
Drives: 17 F80 M3 ZCP

Factory Ohlins TTX - anyone ordering?

Hi Guys,

Just wondering if anyone is planning to order the new factory Ohlinx TTX set (not Performance Shock version).

It features millway camber, plates, adjustable end links.

https://www.ohlins.com/product/road-...-m3-2014-2018/

Spring rates are pretty crazy but I guess it's meant for hardcore track car.

Steve
Appreciate 2
irunalot1518.00
      01-15-2021, 11:46 AM   #2
irunalot
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Porsche Carrera S

That looks pretty trick, unfortunately I just bought the Bilstein Damptronics.

This Ohlins setup or MCS would be my choice if I did more track days.

I'm surprised and happy about all the suspension choices for this platform.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2021, 01:05 PM   #3
Billy_BMW
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

May be worth buying the M4 GT4 Ohlins set instead:

https://www.apmotorsport.co.uk/produ...pension-ohlins

The price is without tax (20%) in GBP.

I’d love to see the value proposition relative to performance that these coilovers bring compared to their competitors (Bilstein/Intrax/KW).
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2021, 03:06 PM   #4
FaRKle!
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 328d Wagon, M2 Comp, i4 eD35

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevehifi View Post
Hi Guys,

Just wondering if anyone is planning to order the new factory Ohlinx TTX set (not Performance Shock version).

It features millway camber, plates, adjustable end links.

https://www.ohlins.com/product/road-...-m3-2014-2018/

Spring rates are pretty crazy but I guess it's meant for hardcore track car.

Steve
Interesting how they had the bottom of the camber plate changed from the normal millway OE thrust bearing receptacle. I presume for more travel.

Please don't PM me for suspension recommendations unless interested in paid private consultations.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2021, 03:25 PM   #5
stevehifi
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy_BMW View Post
May be worth buying the M4 GT4 Ohlins set instead:

https://www.apmotorsport.co.uk/produ...pension-ohlins

The price is without tax (20%) in GBP.

I’d love to see the value proposition relative to performance that these coilovers bring compared to their competitors (Bilstein/Intrax/KW).
3dm seems to have these for much cheaper and not as proprietary as the GT4 implementation (which is obviously based on the geometry, weight and driving dynamics of the M4 GT4.)

https://3dmmotorsport.com/collection...suspension-kit

plus they come with the adjustable end links, plates, essentially its a full blown kit for a street car.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2021, 03:35 PM   #6
ByeFelicia
Captain
Rep
Drives: F80

I just got my 1st gen R&T kit on quite the markdown (holidays) with custom Swift springs. Easy to work with and recommended to shop with.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2021, 05:20 PM   #7
Billy_BMW
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

Still a lot of money and it’s debatable whether the expense is justifiable on a street-driven car.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2021, 12:46 AM   #8
hellokitty
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 M3 ZCP DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy_BMW View Post
Still a lot of money and it’s debatable whether the expense is justifiable on a street-driven car.
I wouldn't drive on these on the street... that's just asking for a reason to hate your car lol
2017 F80 M3 ZCP / AA GESI DPs / Akrapovic Evo / BBS FI-R 19" / Bend Calibration ECUTEK Flex Fuel | Bilstein B16 DDC + CS EDC / BMC Filters / BMS OCC / CSF HE / ESS CP / Nitto NT555R2 / PD Crank Hub / SPL Suspension / Uniden R7 / Wagner Top Mount IC

2021 Mini GP3 / BMC Filters / BM3 / Cary Jordan E30 / Wagner IC / Remus Race
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2021, 11:48 PM   #9
Lienrocs
Captain
Rep
Drives: E92 M3, M4 GTS, HP4

I'm curious what the valving difference is between these and what PSI offers. I swapped out the KW's on my GTS for a ttx set up from PSI. It took some fiddling to get to the spring rates that I thought felt right and it seems ohlins would agree with my final choices more or less. I ended up with an identical front spring rate and 1100 pound spring out back, so only slightly softer than the ohlins offering which I think aids traction in my application in low to mid speed corner exits.

For anyone asking, the ohlins ttx stuff is witchcraft. It rides better than it did with the standard GTS KW's. I'm still working on dialing in the car on track but even where it's at, set up wise, it handles curbs and mid corner bumps significantly better than stock, and the KW's that came standard were no joke.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2021, 04:07 PM   #10
stevehifi
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lienrocs View Post
I'm curious what the valving difference is between these and what PSI offers. I swapped out the KW's on my GTS for a ttx set up from PSI. It took some fiddling to get to the spring rates that I thought felt right and it seems ohlins would agree with my final choices more or less. I ended up with an identical front spring rate and 1100 pound spring out back, so only slightly softer than the ohlins offering which I think aids traction in my application in low to mid speed corner exits.

For anyone asking, the ohlins ttx stuff is witchcraft. It rides better than it did with the standard GTS KW's. I'm still working on dialing in the car on track but even where it's at, set up wise, it handles curbs and mid corner bumps significantly better than stock, and the KW's that came standard were no joke.
what spring rates did you end up with on the PSI kit you have? I think you mentioned #1100 rear (divorced or coilover?) and what about front?

The ohlins kit comes valved for the spring rates for the kit which is 140N/m fr and 220 N/m rear (divorced). Barry at 3DM thinks the rates a bit high for street and valving as well, but they are easy to revalve.

I also had KW 3-ways (GTS) on my F8x m3 and although they really rode great on track they totally sucked on the street.

I've heard the ohlins twin tube low pressure system can allow for very high spring rates and still very good compliance.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2021, 05:49 PM   #11
Lienrocs
Captain
Rep
Drives: E92 M3, M4 GTS, HP4

I'm at 800 in the front and 1100 pit back, divorced. The car rides really well. I haven't had it on track with the updated spring rates but will report back. It had a 571 pound front recommended by PSI but it was way too soft. Poor tire wear and tons of body roll.
Appreciate 1
sly1types431.50