Autotalent
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip / Driving Techniques

07-19-2022, 12:27 PM   #1
mitch32
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F82 ZCP

Tire/Wheel Widest Option for Track with KW DDC?

I want to upgrade my wheel setup on my comp pack, I have a track dedicated car but I want the F82 to take that spot. I am currently on KW DDC which is far from the best ideal track coilover but it will need to suffice for a season or two. They are from my understanding the same fitment as a KW V3, I plan to run camber front/rear, not sure the recommended numbers but I'm guessing -3F/-2R. I am worried about the perch more then anything. Recommendation please!!!!! I want the widest tire and wheel without having to cut anything.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2022, 02:54 PM   #2
shaddy
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3

You should be able to run 18x10 +25 with a 5mm spacer with 275/35. Ideally 275 is happier on an 18x10.5, but in your case you can get away with it! I wouldn't go higher than 275 on an 18x10 though.

This info all comes from Apex's figment guide which is awesome https://support.apexraceparts.com/hc...-Fitment-Guide

They describe what's possible per suspension type.
      07-25-2022, 01:05 PM   #3
mitch32
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaddy View Post
You should be able to run 18x10 +25 with a 5mm spacer with 275/35. Ideally 275 is happier on an 18x10.5, but in your case you can get away with it! I wouldn't go higher than 275 on an 18x10 though.

This info all comes from Apex's figment guide which is awesome https://support.apexraceparts.com/hc...-Fitment-Guide

They describe what's possible per suspension type.
275/35 seems too small, I already run that on my stock wheels. My issue though is what is widest I can fit with that coilover but I'll try swaping my 295/30/20 on 666m wheels which are a 20x10 et40 just to see if a **x10 et40 fits with a 295. I'm going to add camber no matter what, my stock camber lowered gave -1.7degrees and at the track I was definitely on the shoulder limits of the tire.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2022, 01:22 PM   #4
MineralWhiteF80
Dont listen to me
United_States
Rep
Drives: F82, E92 M3, G30 M550i, E46

295/30 is stretching too tight for inner clearance. See attached pictures of KW V3 versus an m437 rear wheel on the front (19x10 +40 offset) with a 20 mm spacer (so effective 10 inch wide wheel +20mm offset) and a 285/35 MP4S tire @ -2.0 degrees camber.

As you can see, there might be 5 mm of clearance between the tire and spring perch at that ride height and the outside edge of the tire rubs on the fender and fender liner. That ride height is too low anyway, so raising up the perch another half to one inch will buy you extra real estate on the inside, but you still need to clear the outside of the fender. That is where adding a lot of negative camber will come in. The wheel/tire to spring perch distance will not change by adding or removing camber since the wheel/tire/knuckle/coilover is basically one fixed assembly and moves as one.

If you raised the car up by raising the spring perch up super high to clear the tire, plus adding a 10mm spacer up front, plus lots of negative camber to clear the outside fender, you might be able to squeeze a 295 tire up there, but at that point, you might be making a worse handling car just trying to fit a "fat tire" up front.

That is why you see a lot of guys running skinny diameter 5" spring coilover setups with 18" wheels to keep the lower spring perch above the tire so they can maximize tire width while keeping stock front fenders.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
mitch32126.50
      12-03-2022, 11:46 AM   #5
mitch32
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MineralWhiteF80 View Post
295/30 is stretching too tight for inner clearance. See attached pictures of KW V3 versus an m437 rear wheel on the front (19x10 +40 offset) with a 20 mm spacer (so effective 10 inch wide wheel +20mm offset) and a 285/35 MP4S tire @ -2.0 degrees camber.

As you can see, there might be 5 mm of clearance between the tire and spring perch at that ride height and the outside edge of the tire rubs on the fender and fender liner. That ride height is too low anyway, so raising up the perch another half to one inch will buy you extra real estate on the inside, but you still need to clear the outside of the fender. That is where adding a lot of negative camber will come in. The wheel/tire to spring perch distance will not change by adding or removing camber since the wheel/tire/knuckle/coilover is basically one fixed assembly and moves as one.

If you raised the car up by raising the spring perch up super high to clear the tire, plus adding a 10mm spacer up front, plus lots of negative camber to clear the outside fender, you might be able to squeeze a 295 tire up there, but at that point, you might be making a worse handling car just trying to fit a "fat tire" up front.

That is why you see a lot of guys running skinny diameter 5" spring coilover setups with 18" wheels to keep the lower spring perch above the tire so they can maximize tire width while keeping stock front fenders.
Quote:

Looks like 285/35/19 is a decent option square. Someone told me it does rub the liner slightly so I will try max camber and as much spacer as I can get
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2022, 12:00 PM   #6
MineralWhiteF80
Dont listen to me
United_States
Rep
Drives: F82, E92 M3, G30 M550i, E46

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitch32 View Post
Looks like 285/35/19 is a decent option square. Someone told me it does rub the liner slightly so I will try max camber and as much spacer as I can get
a 285/35-19 tire on the front rubs the hell out of the fender liner in several spots. You really need a 30 profile tire when going 285mm or wider tire up front. My 265/35-19 tire rubs the front fender liner enough to where I would consider it the 'maximum allowable rub' before you really start destroying and chewing holes all the way through the plastic liner.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2022, 12:12 PM   #7
mitch32
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
a 285/35-19 tire on the front rubs the hell out of the fender liner in several spots. You really need a 30 profile tire when going 285mm or wider tire up front. My 265/35-19 tire rubs the front fender liner enough to where I would consider it the 'maximum allowable rub' before you really start destroying and chewing holes all the way through the plastic liner.
Quote:
Quote:
Ok makes sense the only issue is there is no real track tire (200tw or lower) options with 285/30/19. I ended up getting some 19x10 et40 a few days back hoping I could source something. Only thing 285/30r19 is a slick from pirelli dh slick.
Appreciate 0