GetBMWParts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > M3/M4 versus...

05-12-2015, 12:10 AM   #463
mattkim85
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3MC

I have both.

Get the M4 if you want a roomy comfortable ride (compared to the vette). Its stupid fast and the interior feels more premium. I dont like the traction management system though (euro mdm).

Get a stingray if you want a sports car thats fast and agile with one of the best traction management systems that lets you play.
But one major gripe is whenever i get inside my vette, it just feels like a cheaper car even though they are both priced at $80k a piece.

I'm keeping the m4 and getting rid of the vette btw. Only because personally i want a more comfortable car with more luxury features
2018 F83 M4 MW
2020 F97 X3MC BSM
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2015, 12:33 AM   #464
///M3Owner
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattkim85 View Post
I have both.

Get the M4 if you want a roomy comfortable ride (compared to the vette). Its stupid fast and the interior feels more premium. I dont like the traction management system though (euro mdm).

Get a stingray if you want a sports car thats fast and agile with one of the best traction management systems that lets you play.
But one major gripe is whenever i get inside my vette, it just feels like a cheaper car even though they are both priced at $80k a piece.

I'm keeping the m4 and getting rid of the vette btw. Only because personally i want a more comfortable car with more luxury features
I just love V8s since i currently have the E92 M3. I love the sound and thrill of the drive if you know what I mean. The M4 is fast for what it is and it's beautiful as well, but the thing that I love about corvette is the sound of the V8 and the driving enjoyment. If i were to get a corvette Id wait to be able to afford the z06, but if it comes down to stingray vs M4 id get the M4. I love the looks of the z06 just looks exotic and that engine is wonderful too. The M4 will need a lot of modding to be where I want the car to be where the z06 will come with everthing I could want, but who knows I'm very indecisive haha
      05-12-2015, 03:57 AM   #465
Vectors2final
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 YMB/SS ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by bravm3pwr View Post
Best quote I've seen on this forum.
Yup, that happened.
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2015, 07:03 AM   #466
gthal
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattkim85 View Post
I have both.

This is pretty close to my feeling too... other than I think the interior of the C7 is pretty close to the M4. Not quite as well done but not the big difference of previous generation Corvettes.

One difference to note (which gets back to the sports car feel) is the seating position. The M4 you sit up high... it is a 3/4 series, you know With the C7, you sit very low in the cockpit and feel more immersed in the car... like a sports car
2015 M4 | Austin Yellow | DCT
2012 MB C63AMG | 2011 E92 M3 | 2010 E92 M3
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2015, 08:27 AM   #467
Electron mike
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3, GT4

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M3Owner View Post
You prefer the M4 over the z06?
Yes I do. On paper the Z06 is promising, but I had so many issues it killed the experience:
1. Overheating on track after just a few laps, and not only when in high ambient temps. I had the oil temp over 300 degrees on a 65 degree day at COTA In three laps. On pilot super sports.
2. Gauge cluster goes out intermittently. Very disconcerting on track when all gauges are gone.
3. Broken lower control arm ( scary!)
4. Fuel delivery problems on track that GM couldn't fix. Caused car to go into limp mode on track in every session.
5. Transmission grinds when not up to full operating temp, which takes about 30 minutes of driving on the street.
6. On the rare occasion it did run ok for a lap or two, once up to temp it pulls so much timing the car drops power signicantly. From trap speed of 150 on the back straight at COTA to 138 (Obd 2 numbers).

I haven't been on track with my M3 yet, but based on my experience and talking to other Z06 and M3/M4 owners, I know which one I would choose.
Appreciate 2
      05-12-2015, 08:31 AM   #468
gthal
Major General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electron mike View Post
Yes I do. On paper the Z06 is promising, but I had so many issues it killed the experience:
1. Overheating on track after just a few laps, and not only when in high ambient temps. I had the oil temp over 300 degrees on a 65 degree day at COTA In three laps. On pilot super sports.
2. Gauge cluster goes out intermittently. Very disconcerting on track when all gauges are gone.
3. Broken lower control arm ( scary!)
4. Fuel delivery problems on track that GM couldn't fix. Caused car to go into limp mode on track in every session.
5. Transmission grinds when not up to full operating temp, which takes about 30 minutes of driving on the street.
6. On the rare occasion it did run ok for a lap or two, once up to temp it pulls so much timing the car drops power signicantly. From trap speed of 150 on the back straight at COTA to 138 (Obd 2 numbers).

I haven't been on track with my M3 yet, but based on my experience and talking to other Z06 and M3/M4 owners, I know which one I would choose.
Wow... that sucks!!!

I can understand the frustration you had. My C7 worked very well and had no issues (although it was a non-Z06) and was a notably better track car than my M4. No surprise as it is more purpose built. The M4 is no slouch either

Too bad the Z06 had issues... if it had been trouble free it would have been a monster!
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2015, 08:57 AM   #469
Electron mike
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gthal View Post
Wow... that sucks!!!

I can understand the frustration you had. My C7 worked very well and had no issues (although it was a non-Z06) and was a notably better track car than my M4. No surprise as it is more purpose built. The M4 is no slouch either

Too bad the Z06 had issues... if it had been trouble free it would have been a monster!
Yeah, it was certainly disappointing and I have talked to many other Z06 owners with similar issues. My C7 Z51 was better, but I still had the grinding issues in the transmission, intermittent gauge problem, and the brakes are not up to track duty.. although I do admit COTA is hard on brakes. I didn't have any issues with the Z51 brakes at Bondurant, but the speeds are slower there.
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2015, 10:38 AM   #470
fusionchicken
Captain
Rep
Drives: C6 Z06, Z4M Roadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electron mike View Post
Yeah, it was certainly disappointing and I have talked to many other Z06 owners with similar issues. My C7 Z51 was better, but I still had the grinding issues in the transmission, intermittent gauge problem, and the brakes are not up to track duty.. although I do admit COTA is hard on brakes. I didn't have any issues with the Z51 brakes at Bondurant, but the speeds are slower there.
Your C7 Z51 also had the tranny grind / gauge problems? Wow that's not cool
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2015, 10:47 AM   #471
Electron mike
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusionchicken View Post
Your C7 Z51 also had the tranny grind / gauge problems? Wow that's not cool

Yes, and so did both of the C7 Z51s I drove at Bondurant. It really ruins the driving experience on the street for me since most of my trips are too short to heat up the transmission enough. Even when warm it happens occasionally. The gauge problem is a known issue according to GM that they are working on fixing.
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2015, 07:20 PM   #472
StraightUpFitness
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2013 Boss Laguna Seca

I'm thinking of getting a C7 for track days.. even though I'm a 31, half-European (every track day I've been to has the old non-vegetable-eating-men driving Corvette's, no matter how much you try not to believe it).

From all I've heard, I'd much rather get a Z51 than a Z06. Even with the base Z06 being just $10kish more than a fully loaded Z51.. I feel I'd get more enjoyment out of the Z51.

It's all about approaching the limits for me. Something I don't think I'd ever do in a Z06.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2015, 10:47 PM   #473
azzurro
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by soberin View Post
C7 for sure. The review in the current C&D, Autoweek, and R&T are some of the best reviews of any sports car I have read. It is amazing, that at the C7's price, you have a car that will wipe a 911 and I suspect, can (or has?) lap the Ring faster than a Ferrari 458. After 4 years of my highly modded M3, it's time for the new C7. I just don't want anyone to see me in it.
Appreciate 1
      11-08-2015, 01:16 PM   #474
saleen556
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rotherd31 View Post
I sold my C-7 for the M. No regrets whatsoever. Had it seven months now and 7000 miles. I find nothing wrong with the exhaust note, other than the 30 seconds or so of cold start up, but that is gone by the time I back out of the driveway. The C-7 has nothing on the M4....especially entry and exit. And I LOVE the YMB Dick
What didn't you like about your C7? I'm actually planning on getting a 17 convertible for a weekend/summer toy. I assume the M3 is just about as fast on the street with some better creature comforts.
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2015, 06:13 AM   #475
Rotherd31
User Name
Rep
Drives: 2023 G83 BG/FR/ 963M wheels

Quote:
Originally Posted by saleen556 View Post
What didn't you like about your C7? I'm actually planning on getting a 17 convertible for a weekend/summer toy. I assume the M3 is just about as fast on the street with some better creature comforts.
I loved my C-7, but the entry/exit for a DD was cumbersome. Because of that it was more a fair weather car. You're right, in that the M4 has all the capability performance-wise of the C-7 but for me, a much better DD option. My C-7 was my seventh vette and by far the best one, both in style and performance. Dick
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2015, 06:48 AM   #476
saleen556
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rotherd31 View Post
I loved my C-7, but the entry/exit for a DD was cumbersome. Because of that it was more a fair weather car. You're right, in that the M4 has all the capability performance-wise of the C-7 but for me, a much better DD option. My C-7 was my seventh vette and by far the best one, both in style and performance. Dick
Thanks for the response. Exactly what I was thinking. Even the BMW is a bit low to get in and out of. However I do enjoy the ride.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2015, 07:58 PM   #477
F85FTW
Private
Rep
Drives: x5m

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASAP View Post
I personally think that the only high horsepower American car that is a legitimate alternative to an M3 if looking for more of a pure sports car is the new Z06... Refinement is up 10 levels from previous generations and that is a world class car in every way... one that uses all of its 650 hp perfectly and handles like a razor sharp tool. The GT350 looks like a great car but would be an awful daily driver and once again you get that terrible interior... the hellcat, challenger are just god awful in every way.
I would think the stingray z51 would be the real alternative to the m3. Give up some refinement and rear seats for a better performing sports car. The z06 is on a whole other level and will put most exotics in place its an animal with no comparison to the m3/4
Appreciate 2
      12-07-2015, 08:31 PM   #478
ASAP
Major General
Rep
Drives: '23 X3 M40i

Agreed 100% with the z06 comments... completely disagree on the stingray comments, its not a better performing car and u have to live with the cons of a sports car for not any better performance gain... i don't know of any track it beats an m3 on nor is it any faster straightline... You have to step to a Z06 to get a true upgrade.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2015, 09:53 PM   #479
///Mpossible
Banned
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASAP
Agreed 100% with the z06 comments... completely disagree on the stingray comments, its not a better performing car and u have to live with the cons of a sports car for not any better performance gain... i don't know of any track it beats an m3 on nor is it any faster straightline... You have to step to a Z06 to get a true upgrade.
OMG I did'nt just read that!?! : In what world do you live in to think that the only true American alternative to the M3/M4 is the Corvette that can run with GT3RS at the race track and beat 911 turbos at the drag strip, don't you think you are overestimating the F8x a tiny bit?!? The Stingray is more then performing enough to be considered a legetimate alternative to the F8x, specially with the Z51 package, and that's not even considering the fact that a C7 cost A LOT less money than an M4.

Here's some learning for you:

Here you can see the car is doing more than great against cars that an F8x can't even dream to compete with. Watch in the first video, it even beats the 991 4S by .7sec around Laguna Seca while the M4 is not even faster than a base Carrera!

And if you were worrying about straightline accelaration, here's what it can do against a stock F8x and some modded ones! And let's not even talk about the ability of the Corvette to put the power down compared to the F8x.

Next time try to think before posting such nonsense.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2015, 10:02 PM   #480
saleen556
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///Mpossible View Post
OMG I did'nt just read that!?! : In what world do you live in to think that the only true American alternative to the M3/M4 is the Corvette that can run with GT3RS at the race track and beat 911 turbos at the drag strip, don't you think you are overestimating the F8x a tiny bit?!? The Stingray is more then performing enough to be considered a legetimate alternative to the F8x, specially with the Z51 package, and that's not even considering the fact that a C7 cost A LOT less money than an M4.

Here's some learning for you:

Here you can see the car is doing more than great against cars that an F8x can't even dream to compete with. Watch in the first video, it even beats the 991 4S by .7sec around Laguna Seca while the M4 is not even faster than a base Carrera!

And if you were worrying about straightline accelaration, here's what it can do against a stock F8x and some modded ones! And let's not even talk about the ability of the Corvette to put the power down compared to the F8x.

Next time try to think before posting such nonsense.

Thanks for this. Makes me feel better about getting the convertible stingray for my weekend toy. I was afraid after getting the M3 it may feel like a waste of money.
Appreciate 1
      12-12-2015, 01:27 PM   #481
gthal
Major General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASAP View Post
I have to disagree based on my experience at the track in both cars... the Z51 is absolutely a performance upgrade. It is more capable on the track, period. I won't bother digging out lap times (which are hard to compare unless same driver, same track, same conditions) but I can assure you the M3/4 isn't beating a Z51 at the track unless the M4 is at least a DCT (with a MT in the Corvette), better tires, etc. I was 1-2 seconds faster at my home track in my C7 vs. my M4 on a 1:20 lap in stock for stock cars. After a 20 minute lapping session, I wouldn't be able to see the M4 in my rear view mirror any longer if I cloned myself and was driving both cars . The Z51 It is more stable at speed, stays flatter, puts the power down better, is more predictable and has better ultimate grip.

The C7 is also trapping slightly higher on a consistent basis... many guys were getting 120mph consistently and the M3/4 is tough to pull those numbers... straight line speed, however, is pretty close.

I'm not saying it is a better overall car but it is, absolutely, a faster and more capable car... and easier to push to the limit than the M3/4 if that matters.

Last edited by gthal; 12-12-2015 at 01:33 PM..
Appreciate 1
      12-12-2015, 01:36 PM   #482
gthal
Major General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by saleen556 View Post
Thanks for this. Makes me feel better about getting the convertible stingray for my weekend toy. I was afraid after getting the M3 it may feel like a waste of money.
The C7 is better mostly at the track. Around town, there is less difference. Also, I would expect the extra weight of the convertible would likely nullify some, or most of, the C7's performance advantage. Again, likely irrelevant on the street and most people aren't tracking verts so likely doesn't matter... I still think the C7 vert would be a fun weekend car.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2015, 09:14 PM   #483
M3guy3
Captain
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by gthal View Post
The C7 is better mostly at the track. Around town, there is less difference. Also, I would expect the extra weight of the convertible would likely nullify some, or most of, the C7's performance advantage. Again, likely irrelevant on the street and most people aren't tracking verts so likely doesn't matter... I still think the C7 vert would be a fun weekend car.
i know on the Z06. the vert is only 60 pounds more. not sure about the base car though.
Appreciate 0