proTUNING Freaks
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > M3/M4 versus...

02-24-2015, 09:19 AM   #89
Jedi_M
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3 MG/SO

Reviews of the 2015 Mercedes-AMG C63 & C63 S - comments mentioning M3

Reviews of the 2015 Mercedes-AMG C63 S are starting to come out ahead of the April release. Many of the reviews use the M3 as a benchmark comparison to this car because they seem to be the most direct competitors in terms of price and performance. Competition is good but I am still going to get the M3. Here are a few of the highlight quotes from the reviews:

Automobile:
“The new C63 and its more performance-attuned sibling, the C63 S, are deadly threats to the new BMW M3. Yeah, they’re that impressive.”

http://www.automobilemag.com/reviews...mg-c63-review/

Digital Trend:
“Where the new BMW M3 is an industrial machine made for lap times, the 2015 Mercedes-AMG C63 an enlivening brute that delights the senses at every turn.”

“The comparisons aren’t simply restrained to the AMG family; there are several outside competitors as well. Chief among them is the all-new BMW M3. At the time this review is written, Mercedes hasn’t announced official product pricing. They have hinted, though, that the C63 will start in the low $60,000s and the C63 S will fetch an asking price somewhere in the low $70,000s. Considering that, for my money, I’d have the C63 every day of the week over the Bimmer.”

http://www.digitaltrends.com/car-rev...s-first-drive/

Autocar:
“It has better steering than the M3, we feel, thanks to its crisper response just off centre, specifically when turning in to quicker corners. And the way the chassis loads up so smoothly when you begin to really commit to corners also makes the BMW feel edgier by comparison, particularly in the wet, when the C63 feels more planted, period, be that at the front or rear, on the way into or out of corners.”

http://www.autocar.co.uk/car-review/...s-benz/c63-amg

Autocar:
“Still, there is significantly more to this car than its mighty engine, rabid performance, effortless cruising credentials and outstanding economy figures. It is also blessed with a chassis that endows it with new-found levels of agility, outstanding handling and improved ride characteristics – all of which makes it a more compelling car drive than ever before, both on the road and at the track.”

http://www.autocar.co.uk/car-review/...g-c63-s-review

The Motoring Report:
“The direct competitor for the C 63 S, of course, is the BMW M3, and it's a choice that causes plenty of debate amongst aficionados. Certainly, in styling terms, the Mercedes could lay claim to being the sexier car, but, on this choice, I'd lean to the M3, purely because the steering is more talkative and more muscular fun than the C 63's.”

http://www.themotorreport.com.au/609...e-no-prisoners
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2015, 09:21 AM   #90
6spdTanzM4
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4 Tanzanite Blue 6spd

I think it's a great car and a lot of people will love it. It definitely differentiates itself a lot from the M cars. For me the front styling and engine are awesome, the rest is good but not enough for me to sway liking the M3/4 more. The M cars are just more aggressive and muscular IMO.

So up until now BMW has had little competition with the new M version being out while Mercedes and Audi get their cars together. Normally competition is good and when there are these other really good cars out vs. the M, what does BMW do? Do prices come down a bit or do incentives go up? I'm not sure what Audi is doing with their new S5/RS5 but I think it's also a turbo V8? BMW might have real issues being a turbo 6 vs. the others going V8. I wonder if they'll add in a turbo V8 to the current model, if that's even possible?
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2015, 09:26 AM   #91
8600RPM
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: e92 m3

Audi will be a turbo 6.

Mercedes has always had more grunt snd had a v8 in e46 M3 era. However what bmw always had was driving dynamics, steering, high revving engine sound and character. Sadly merc now has the grunt plus all of those attributes and bmw simply has no leg to stand 9n.

With my ess tune m3, I'm pretty happy but I really think if you put styling aside, the merc just crushes the m3 here.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2015, 09:36 AM   #92
Stallion150
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 Sedan

I agree with everyone else above; I think the new C63 pulls ahead on a lot of counts (Torque, Engine note, Interior, Daily Driveability)...Unfortunately, I also feel that the exterior could have been beefed up.
A car has to look the part to make you want to look further (I'm not a fan of so called sleeper cars as others put it)...and I only wish the exterior design matched the animal on the inside.
That being said, I've not seen the c63 in my favorite color (black) so we'll see how it ultimately turns out

What's interesting, though, is that a similar front end on the E63 AMG looks fantastic (IMO) because of the headlights.

Last edited by Stallion150; 02-24-2015 at 09:44 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2015, 09:37 AM   #93
shortseller
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: ‘18 ABM F80ZCP/dct

Onyourleft - I'd rethink it, if I were you.

Last edited by shortseller; 02-24-2015 at 10:37 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2015, 09:44 AM   #94
myzmak
Advocatus Douchebagus. Sex Marxist.
Canada
Rep
Drives: Lucy.

Garage List
2015 F80 M3  [10.00]
2013 MB E350 Wagon  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ybbiz34 View Post
I thought your transcript of the video review was very accurate.
Thanks, though sometimes accused of fanboy-ism by the lurkers on this forum, I just consider myself a fanbody of #$!$! great cars and I think we have two winners here.

Quote:
As you indicated, there weren't a lot of direct comparisons. Although Harris did emphatically state that he felt AMG did a better job in terms of replicating the excitement of the previous motor. Of course, BMW faced a stiff challenge going from the 4.0L NA V8 to the turbo'd I6 (and it still turned out fine).

And he noted that the sound of the V8 was still immense, despite the presence of two turbos.

And I think you're absolutely spot-on with your concluding paragraph.

I'm glad that the M3 and C63 have different personalities. Variety is the spice of life. The M3 should be the surgical, twitchy (in a good way), brash (also in a good way, referring to the exterior), well-rounded athlete that it has always been.

The C63 should be the faster, more stealthy/sedate, more luxurious Autobahn barnstormer that it always has been. It's just exciting to see that AMG has rectified some of the issues that the past generation suffered from (e.g., the transmission) and has taken further steps in making the C63 a more well-rounded performance car (rather than just a luxury car with big motor).

Both cars are now more competent performers than their predecessors. Both manufacturers are at the top of their game.

The Corvette (with the C7) has made similar strides toward becoming more dynamic but some folks (certainly not you) seem reluctant to accept that the AMG cars' personalities have changed a bit, while still retaining the positive attributes that made them unique.

Prior to the W204 C63, one of the criticisms was that the C-Class AMGs shared too much in common with the standard cars. Now, the W205 has been designed virtually from the ground up (more akin to the production of the M3). Compared to the standard C-Class, it has a bespoke rear axle assembly, front axle assembly, suspension, differential, etc.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkhm3 View Post
There is a lot of pent up excitement since the reviews are trickling out. Good times we are living in when you can choose between

RS5/M4/C63S/ATS-V

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vectors2final View Post
Well, I'll say that I love the car. Very nice, and while some probably love the interior/exterior styling of the car, it doesn't get me excited. I do like the front end, but I prefer sharper lines. I also think that the interiors are square in my mind. Both have things that I really like, but I like the dash more in the F8X. I think they were on point with the seats, but I don't like certain things. Too many similarities across the line. The CLA dash looks pretty close from what I remember. I was looking at a CLA, but that was partially because I wanted to settle on a car. I think I'd love the open pore wood trim over the CF in the F8X. I think BMW executed the nav location and appearance better, and I don't like the use of aluminum/chrome all over. Same goes for the seat adjustment being on the door, which might have to do with the seat design? If I recall, the seats are Recaro. The car looks like a hoot with great power and a similar sound/dynamic that you've always come to love with the C63. I like that the BMW isn't as "refined" as some are saying, when speaking of dynamics and characteristics.

It's going to be a great comparison, and it will be exciting to see what the boys at M will come up with for the ZCP. In before all the reviews compare the C63S vs M3/4 and not the standard C63.

It is indeed a good time to be in a market for a car in the segment. A segment I think I'll most likely remain in for at least another decade, quite possibly longer depending on where technology goes with the next rung up(M5/E63).
Quote:
Originally Posted by Year's_End View Post
And just like those ridiculous Apple versus Android discussions, it ultimately boils down to user preference.

At this point, both cars are entirely competent in areas that they previously weren't over their past generations. The result means that they're closer as a product with fewer separating points to highlight strength and weakness. It's not a comparison of a ballerina and a hobbling fat man; it's not a torqueless scalpel versus a brute musclecar; they're both so close in competency and overall nature that it's "whose sounds better," "whose looks better," and "which one would I enjoy driving around the most."

You can't point out any glaring faults these days. I think they're both appealing propositions, despite the two taking the segment further away from my personal preferences with the whooshie mills and ridiculous performance envelopes that aren't able to be fully enjoyed on a public backroad.

If only these sedans weren't measured and sold based on how fast they are, and instead you could just focus on how fun they are. The whole one-upping track stats and lap times is ruining the categories IMO (and others for that matter).
...and, yeah, +1 to all of that and all the other posts.

The C63 does look like a great car. I would have no regrets if I had one of those sitting in my driveway.

However, (at least based on these initial reviews which is all I have to go on) I am not at all regretting my F8X choice right now. I do like the exterior looks and I do love the MT. Whatever I give up in sound is a worthwhile trade for those points. Can't comment on what I gain/lose in driving, but owning MBs and BMWs I have some ideas of their differences.

All in all, there is nothing better for all of us enthusiasts than having absolutely great competition and I'm glad AMG is in this fight going toe to toe, blow for blow. All we have to do then is just sit back and win
      02-24-2015, 09:46 AM   #95
brava09
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: M4C xdrive

Looks like the better car for now, though we should wait for comparison tests before reaching any conclusion.

I don't really like the sleeper look, on this one the M3 is the more special car.
11 Audi RS5 Misano Red--sold
08 E92 M3 Jerez Black 6MT--sold
08 E92 335i 6MT traded in for M3
Appreciate 1
      02-24-2015, 09:53 AM   #96
Carl L
Major
Rep
Drives: '15 M3

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by ybbiz34 View Post
I thought your transcript of the video review was very accurate. As you indicated, there weren't a lot of direct comparisons. Although Harris did emphatically state that he felt AMG did a better job in terms of replicating the excitement of the previous motor. Of course, BMW faced a stiff challenge going from the 4.0L NA V8 to the turbo'd I6 (and it still turned out fine).

And he noted that the sound of the V8 was still immense, despite the presence of two turbos.

And I think you're absolutely spot-on with your concluding paragraph.

I'm glad that the M3 and C63 have different personalities. Variety is the spice of life. The M3 should be the surgical, twitchy (in a good way), brash (also in a good way, referring to the exterior), well-rounded athlete that it has always been.

The C63 should be the faster, more stealthy/sedate, more luxurious Autobahn barnstormer that it always has been. It's just exciting to see that AMG has rectified some of the issues that the past generation suffered from (e.g., the transmission) and has taken further steps in making the C63 a more well-rounded performance car (rather than just a luxury car with big motor).

Both cars are now more competent performers than their predecessors. Both manufacturers are at the top of their game.

The Corvette (with the C7) has made similar strides toward becoming more dynamic but some folks (certainly not you) seem reluctant to accept that the AMG cars' personalities have changed a bit, while still retaining the positive attributes that made them unique.

Prior to the W204 C63, one of the criticisms was that the C-Class AMGs shared too much in common with the standard cars. Now, the W205 has been designed virtually from the ground up (more akin to the production of the M3). Compared to the standard C-Class, it has a bespoke rear axle assembly, front axle assembly, suspension, differential, etc.
Some of your previous post on this thread weren't making sense to me (the BS comparo-excuse the pun- and also the repeating of the same quotes from the american magazine) but this post of yours is on the money.

AMG have a done a very good job again in producing a car that allows users of a super sedan to cross shop for an experience that is similar and yet different to the M3. The consumer wins.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2015, 09:57 AM   #97
Np2014
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 Bsm/Sb

As an M4 owner i love seeing Amg step up the competition between the M4/M3 versus C63/C63s because the consumer wins with more great choices. To all the track junkies With all the glowing reviews does this mean more C63's will be taken to the track?
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2015, 10:51 AM   #98
dmk08
Gone Fishin’
United_States
Rep
Drives: Walks

Quote:
Originally Posted by brava09 View Post
Looks like the better car for now, though we should wait for comparison tests before reaching any conclusion.

I don't really like the sleeper look, on this one the M3 is the more special car.
Definitely looks like a beast but I'm not sure I would call it better. Personally I prefer the BMW on most of the subjective items.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2015, 10:55 AM   #99
Roadkiller
Philosophiae Doctor
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4 BSM

Wow Chris -- thorough review on the C63. Did we get the same review on the F8X? In any case, that was a great review.

As for the C63S, I find it weird that MB did nothing to the externals of the car to differentiate it from the normal C class. WTF. It should have something on the outside that says badass. If you like a wolf in sheep clothing, okay...I get it. Otherwise, dress this thing appropriately -- like the badass it is.

I also wonder how well it will put the power down with those tires. I heard the previous C63 averaged about 8 to 10K miles on the rears. I suspect we (F8X owners) could have the same problem.

Props to Chris for this awesome review -- as always.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2015, 11:13 AM   #100
M4TW
///M Uber Alles
Canada
Rep
Drives: '15 MW M4

This car looks like a competitor of the M3 from the front and a regular 5 series from the back. Perhaps as it drives by you, you are intended to think of it first as a sports car and then as a luxury car. Either way, it is a confused look.

I am going to be a lone wolf crying in the wilderness here, but I am not impressed with the engine. V8 engines in this segment seem like yesterday's news to me. If one thinks of F1 as the pinnacle of modern racing engines, then a turbo 6 is where the future lies. Probably, at some point with an electric motor adding to the fun.

I think the M3/4 is closer to that curve with what the M division has wrung out of a 3 litre 6 cyl and its added tech to reduce lag and its astounding cooling capabilities. In other words, I would have been more excited if Mercedes had put some of that F1 goodness into a V6 and stuck that into its flagship AMG.

Had they done that, they would have taken the constructor cup in this segment as well in my books (which no one reads anyway). So for now, I'll say that the F80/2 looks more the part, front and back, and has something more forward looking under the hood.
      02-24-2015, 11:13 AM   #101
shortseller
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: ‘18 ABM F80ZCP/dct

Quote:
Originally Posted by Np2014 View Post
As an M4 owner i love seeing Amg step up the competition between the M4/M3 versus C63/C63s because the consumer wins with more great choices. To all the track junkies With all the glowing reviews does this mean more C63's will be taken to the track?
Hope it influences the comp pkg to come for the f80s!
      02-24-2015, 11:37 AM   #102
ixse
Major
Rep
Drives: 2015 boxster s

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadkiller View Post
Wow Chris -- thorough review on the C63. Did we get the same review on the F8X? In any case, that was a great review.

As for the C63S, I find it weird that MB did nothing to the externals of the car to differentiate it from the normal C class. WTF. It should have something on the outside that says badass. If you like a wolf in sheep clothing, okay...I get it. Otherwise, dress this thing appropriately -- like the badass it is.

I also wonder how well it will put the power down with those tires. I heard the previous C63 averaged about 8 to 10K miles on the rears. I suspect we (F8X owners) could have the same problem.

Props to Chris for this awesome review -- as always.
Hood line, front fenders, a wing insert all are amg only characters. And you just need to hear the noise to understand its a badass car. The car puts tq limiter on first 3 gears. Although still too much for 265 sections, its not going to be horrible. They said w launch control, they were getting consistant 4 sec 0-62.
Craziest thing is mpg figure.. 33 mpg european combined number. Probably translate to 27-8 combined mpg in US. Thats nuts.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2015, 11:49 AM   #103
brianeck
Part Time Firetruck Crash Barrier
Rep
Drives: 2022 M340ix Mineral Grey

Quote:
Originally Posted by ixse View Post
Hood line, front fenders, a wing insert all are amg only characters. And you just need to hear the noise to understand its a badass car. The car puts tq limiter on first 3 gears. Although still too much for 265 sections, its not going to be horrible. They said w launch control, they were getting consistant 4 sec 0-62.
Craziest thing is mpg figure.. 33 mpg european combined number. Probably translate to 27-8 combined mpg in US. Thats nuts.
Yeah, sorry if they actually get that combined gas mileage then they COMPLETELY blew BMW away while keeping a V8. That would be a huge win for AMG and a big WTF for BMW since the whole idea of the move was supposed to be on the efficient dynamics train. . . If AMG can get better efficiency out of the V8 then ///M definitely gets a -1 in that tickbox, AND a -1 in the sound tickbox that comes along with it too. I don't dislike the sound of my car, I like it, but I was told it couldn't be as good in the nature of efficiency, and AMG is looking to prove this isn't the case.

m340ix Mineral Grey/Tacora Red
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2015, 12:01 PM   #104
myzmak
Advocatus Douchebagus. Sex Marxist.
Canada
Rep
Drives: Lucy.

Garage List
2015 F80 M3  [10.00]
2013 MB E350 Wagon  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ixse View Post
.....not sure on that.

Recall (a) very different standards in Europe; (b) you may be looking at an imp gal (not US gal).

I seem to recall this same calculation/conversion/different test issue coming up on the F80

FWIW, through 2000 km I am average a shade under 12l/100 km on the F80

which is right about the manufacturer's claim (mostly city driving with a bit of freeway there, no highway/long trips to bring that average down)

frankly, it I at least as efficient as my 328 xi was for the same sort of driving, only much much more fun.

(if I really start pounding it, fuel economy will of course drop)

There is just no way to make 8 cylinders be more efficient than that. Especially once you start hitting the turbos.

Cruising on a highway it will be fine, but if you start to drive it hard it will be relatively thirsty.
      02-24-2015, 12:29 PM   #105
amanuuh
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 Audi R8

I think the blue looks extremely boring. It doesn't look aggressive. I prefer white which is why i ordered white lol. Silvers actually looks aggressive too but never been a silver car person.

[IMG]http://i59.tinypic.com/294jq7q.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i60.tinypic.com/28mfz44.jpg[/IMG]
      02-24-2015, 12:45 PM   #106
WWM3
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 GT3

Quote:
Originally Posted by amanuuh
I think the blue looks extremely boring. It doesn't look aggressive. I prefer white which is why i ordered white lol. Silvers actually look aggressive too but never been a silver car person.

Nice choice!

I don't quite get the criticism of the rear and 3/4 view of the car. I think it looks fantastic.
      02-24-2015, 12:47 PM   #107
SocalBM
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Porsche GT3

You think refrigerator white isn't boring? You think WHITE is aggressive? I was going to say something about "different parts of the world" but you're in Cali just like me; 86% of ALL Cars on the road in California are white or grey. It's the most depressing place to drive.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2015, 01:27 PM   #108
anerbe
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Red E90M 6MT

Personally, I like the rear 3/4 view with the bumper cutout and the quad tip exhaust.

I don't like the front air dam design. The upturn of the silver trim near the center where it leaves a gap to the front bumper cover makes the whole opening look small, like a 335i sportline.

They should have either made the feature go all the way to the bumper like the F80, or remove that silver trim piece all together and create a solid post like the C63 Black.

Attached is my very sh*tty MSPaint shot at the front bumper.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-24-2015, 01:51 PM   #109
Brosef
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 M5

so glad to finally get some reviews on this beast. and this is indeed a stellar review from Chris by any measure.

I'm not the least bit surprised by how much he likes it. this is truly one of the best automotive segments there is - so much everyday utility, comfort and style from these sporty 4-door muscly German sedans.

while only time will tell, this review only reaffirms my suspicion that this generation C63 will compare to its contemporary M3 in much the same way as the outgoing generation. It will undoubtedly be faster in a straight line (again), and it will continue its legacy as an overpowered and undertired AMG muscle car (and I mean that in a good way). it will be interesting to see how the track numbers shake out this time around. with all that extra grunt, I wouldn't be surprised if the C bests the M on a lot of tracks. one thing's for sure - I wouldn't fault anyone for choosing the C. each car seems to have its strengths and weaknesses versus the other.

glad to finally have a true (and worthy) competitor to spruce up this section of the board. too many Cayman/911/R8 vs. threads going on.

Yibbiz - I feel like I just witnessed the birth of your child. when are these hitting dealer lots?
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2015, 02:01 PM   #110
DocWeatherington
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 CP

Garage List
23 Bmw M3  [10.00]
I agree with many..

If you think about it the C63 should be the better car but time will tell. Its the newest chassis, not making an excuse for BMW. But when you look at the fact the bones of the F80 are off a platform that is at its midlife and has been in production since late 2011/early 2012.

Now saying BMW didn't do a great job, they did... but normally the last kid to give a presentation already knows who set the bar and the speech nerves have eased. BMW was the 1st one out of the gate for this generation as normal.

The real question is if you could take both the M3/C63 and put them on a track, drove them back to back on and off. I would think you would still have two great cars, just different ways of doing it. I am going to guess, performance will be very similar and no one will dominate. Each will have pros and cons, more or less focused on certain aspects.

Its a shame that BMW doesn't have the noise of the V8, but the business case is different than MB, and probably was when they where being developed. They(BMW) aren't using this motor to replace all the V8s, AMG has more to lose...this is the motor for the next decade for everything.

The real question is what does the ATS-V bring to the party, F80 LCI, Comp Pack,GTS, Black Series, C63 LCI ...

I think we as consumers win either-way

Last edited by DocWeatherington; 02-24-2015 at 02:16 PM..
Appreciate 0