Next Level Auto Brokers
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > M3/M4 versus...

01-08-2017, 08:30 AM   #45
996ttelise
Captain
Rep
Drives: 458, GTS, Performante

Quote:
Originally Posted by savage.ulm1 View Post
sure the 991 Gt3 owners think different. Really different.
I have a 15 with the F engine. The stop sale rod bolt was 14s with the E and were replaced with E1s. I used turbos as daily drivers from late 80s through 2015. All were purchased new, some heavily modified and all had between 35k and 80k+ miles on them when I upgraded. They were bullet proof, great daily drivers.

Most of the guys buying these GT3s under warranty coverage are purchasing them solely for track use and they are seeing long term track abuse that exceeds what I expect/get out of my cup and challenge car engines. Some are speculating that Porsche may not be providing warranty coverage track beginning with the 991.2 GT3.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2017, 02:26 PM   #46
MCarRacr07
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: a couple still in the garage

thought I would chime in here as I just took delivery of a QV...
and as my name would imply I have owned M3's my last being a 2015 F80.
as the weather here is for crap, I cannot give you a fair driving assessment yet.
I can comment on fit & finish...
styling is a matter of personal taste...so to those who bash it...it's your opinion which is fine...won't/can't rebuke you over it...
the interior is all business with some flair...ergonomically it is a driver's car...everything where you need it when you need it..
dash display is clear and very Ferrari like from appearance...infotainment is clear and concise...the graphic display when you click vehicle info is more modern than on the F80.
the HK sound is really very good...but in all fairness..I'm not a big audio guy...and it was already bundled in the car...
the steering wheel has a great feel to it...just thick enough and the CF bits are done well....the start/stop button is to the left on the wheel which I like very much...
seats are very comfortable, no better no worse than the F80. the rear space in the F80 feels bigger...
greenhouse is great...no real blindspots due to design...

as far as reliability, well that remains to be seen,....my E92 M3 was an 08, picked up in April of 08 and the car was 1 service away from being bought back by BMW under the lemon law....
I liked the styling of the QV, much more aggressive in appearance than the F80 in my opinion. My only concern really with the Alfa is more the dealer network and support...my local dealer seems to be on the ball...I'm hopeful it will be the case...only time will tell.
A benefit with BMW is the vast network of dealers so you can have options when you run into a lousy dealer service experience...of which I have had a few.
Regards
M
      01-08-2017, 02:33 PM   #47
NorCal f80
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: M3

nope too ugly
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2017, 02:24 AM   #48
Mpunk
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 335

Anyone Considering the Alfa Romeo Giulia Quadrifoglio?

Doug Demuro recently reviewed the Quadrifoglio and declared that it's worth every bit of the $80K asking price.

3:15
Doug then reviews the car's "Italian quirks" but the signal stalk mechanism seems just maddening. Anyone actually drive the car and can confirm this? This car looks gorgeous but that signal mechanism alone would be a deal killer. Doug is pretty sarcastic so it's sometimes hard to tell if he's being serious.

Oh that and that most Maserati dealers (where they'll presumably be sold) would probably add dealer markup on these cars. Think Focus RS.

Thoughts?
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2017, 02:38 AM   #49
Nothing
Roll Tide
United_States
Rep
Drives: White/red M3

This belongs in the "VS" forum.

But to answer your question. Some people are interested and some people aren't. Is the car tempting and alluring? Yes. It's an Alfa, it's Italian, exotic, and a new brand that will cause many attention seeking people to get lots of questions.

Personally I don't think of Alfa as a well built and dependable brand. This new version of Alfa needs time to build a reputation of well built, dependable and reliable cars. If I were only leasing the car I'd probably consider it. But if I were thinking of buying one... even a standard Gulia... I'd need a better warranty. Something to build my confidence on.
      02-20-2017, 11:55 AM   #50
Takumi587
///M3 Enthusiast
United_States
Rep
Drives: 05' M3 and 21' Tesla Model 3

Garage List
I just picked up a base Giulia and love it. Even as a base model it has some serious power. I was going to get a 3 or 4 series but the Giulia was much more fun to drive IMO. I still love BMW and I just believe the QV is a great competitor to the M3.
Appreciate 1
mcc3456332.00
      08-26-2017, 02:16 AM   #51
Captain Unknown GT4
Captain
Rep
Drives: GT4

There Is somthing about this car that gets to me, I want to accually test It. And I could see my selfe having one. From the first day Alfa did put out that attack ring lap, hhmm. Need to test It.

I kind of like the Ide of a superfast 4 door car thats not M5 or AMG or RS6. And we can have carbon bucket seats front as well.
Appreciate 1
mcc3456332.00
      08-26-2017, 12:11 PM   #52
ixse
Major
Rep
Drives: 2015 boxster s

This car is already having buncha electronic problems. Over heat issues. Fiat is about to sell alfa.. i really hope someone else revives alfa properly, just like when ford shitted on jag, landrover, and when they got released, they started doing well.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2017, 01:22 PM   #53
swifty
Colonel
Rep
Drives: F80, Levante & Tesla 100D

There have been many journalists who commented on the QV suspension being much better sorted than the M3s.

Everything else, when you read the QV forums makes me happy I went with the m3.
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2017, 10:03 AM   #54
mcc3456
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alfa QVs & 4C.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ixse View Post
This car is already having buncha electronic problems. Over heat issues. Fiat is about to sell alfa.. i really hope someone else revives alfa properly, just like when ford shitted on jag, landrover, and when they got released, they started doing well.
That's actually untrue, and here is why:

1.) There were a few software updates for the Start/Stop "feature" just after the car launched. The main issue was related to using the Remote start key fob which conflicted with the Start/Stop. One quick software update and the issue was solved. Alfa warned everybody of the issue immediately and solved the problem. Jalopnik was also warned, but they chose to keep driving the car without the software update. No surprise, some dope started the car via remote button, and stalled at the first busy intersection when the auto start/stop activated, and did not start again after stopping. The journalist wrote a negative rant...because of his own stupidity.

2.) The other issue that made the magazines was a journalist thrashing the car in Race mode on the track with a low coolant level. Car started getting too hot, and went into limp home mode to preserve the engine and prevent overheating damage. That's advanced sensoring, not a defect. It reacted exactly as it was supposed to in any high performance car. However, again journalist rant, not reality.

3.) Last negative rumor was the car throwing a warning light on the track. Again, a stupid journalist hopping in the car and thrashing it without reading the manual. In Race Mode, all traction aids are switched off. Since the car has torque vectoring still active, you are NOT supposed to left foot brake in Race Mode. Doing so will light up a instrument cluster warning light. It is stated right in the manual. Again, a negative journalist rant for no true reason.

Alfa can only engineer a phenomenal car, not guard against stupidity for not getting familiar with its opersting procedure before abusing it. Sadly, uninformed dopes read those continually relayed questions about reliability comments as if they are gospel and then spread them unwittingly as if they are accurate, then tie this new Alfa to shitboxes sold 30 years ago. That is just plain ignorant, but it happens everyday. Most people aren't bright enough to do firsthand research. Shame!

Lastly, most forum members are not old enough to even know this, but BMW were a complete disaster of electrical and mechanical issues 30 years ago. EVERYBODY knew you did NOT want to own a BMW out of warranty, so to think that only Alfa suffered those types of issues back then is just crazy.
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2017, 08:08 AM   #55
996ttelise
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcc3456 View Post

1.) There were a few software updates for the Start/Stop "feature" just after the car launched. The main issue was related to using the Remote start key fob which conflicted with the Start/Stop. One quick software update and the issue was solved. Alfa warned everybody of the issue immediately and solved the problem. Jalopnik was also warned, but they chose to keep driving the car without the software update. No surprise, some dope started the car via remote button, and stalled at the first busy intersection when the auto start/stop activated, and did not start again after stopping. The journalist wrote a negative rant...because of his own stupidity.

2.) The other issue that made the magazines was a journalist thrashing the car in Race mode on the track with a low coolant level. Car started getting too hot, and went into limp home mode to preserve the engine and prevent overheating damage. That's advanced sensoring, not a defect. It reacted exactly as it was supposed to in any high performance car. However, again journalist rant, not reality.

3.) Last negative rumor was the car throwing a warning light on the track. Again, a stupid journalist hopping in the car and thrashing it without reading the manual. In Race Mode, all traction aids are switched off. Since the car has torque vectoring still active, you are NOT supposed to left foot brake in Race Mode. Doing so will light up a instrument cluster warning light. It is stated right in the manual. Again, a negative journalist rant for no true reason.

Alfa can only engineer a phenomenal car, not guard against stupidity for not getting familiar with its opersting procedure before abusing it. Sadly, uninformed dopes read those continually relayed questions about reliability comments as if they are gospel and then spread them unwittingly as if they are accurate, then tie this new Alfa to shitboxes sold 30 years ago. That is just plain ignorant, but it happens everyday. Most people aren't bright enough to do firsthand research. Shame!

Lastly, most forum members are not old enough to even know this, but BMW were a complete disaster of electrical and mechanical issues 30 years ago. EVERYBODY knew you did NOT want to own a BMW out of warranty, so to think that only Alfa suffered those types of issues back then is just crazy.
I wish that was true, but . . . a Guilia just came back to our local dealer the other day for dying on the highway for the 4th time . . . Not sure the guy understands lemon laws . . . At one point, I heard every Guilia that had been sold had come back for an issue within a few short months of beginning to carry the line.

Lol on left break and people being stupid excuses . . ., you are in some serious denial. Its really sweet and I kind of doubt you would admit if yours did break down given your past posts and demeanor on this subject.
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2017, 10:05 AM   #56
blinkme323
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 CS

Quote:
Originally Posted by 996ttelise View Post
Quote:

I wish that was true, but . . . a Guilia just came back to our local dealer the other day for dying on the highway for the 4th time . . . Not sure the guy understands lemon laws . . . At one point, I heard every Guilia that had been sold had come back for an issue within a few short months of beginning to carry the line.

Lol on left break and people being stupid excuses . . ., you are in some serious denial. Its really sweet and I kind of doubt you would admit if yours did break down given your past posts and demeanor on this subject.
It's sad, but the rampant unreliability appears to be true. A co-worker of mine has had his Guilia in the shop more than on the road...he is just dejected over the whole thing.

*And for the record, I really like the Guilia.
      10-10-2017, 08:10 AM   #57
Antartic
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 2018

Unfortunately, a coworker of mine got a Guilia QV about 3 months back- he has already taken it into the service center 2 times- one for coolant leak, and another time for the ABS light coming on.

But when the car works, it works beautifully- I love driving it more than the M3, but I am not yet convinced that its reliable enough to be a family car/DD.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2017, 12:59 PM   #58
mcc3456
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antartic View Post
Unfortunately, a coworker of mine got a Guilia QV about 3 months back- he has already taken it into the service center 2 times- one for coolant leak, and another time for the ABS light coming on.

But when the car works, it works beautifully- I love driving it more than the M3, but I am not yet convinced that its reliable enough to be a family car/DD.
10,000 miles and 9 months into QV ownership with zero issues whatsoever. Already more reliable than the M3 I had for 20,000 miles over two years.

For the record, all car manufacturers have hiccups on occasion. For instance...
http://autoweek.com/article/recalls/...llion-vehicles
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2017, 04:35 PM   #59
Captain Unknown GT4
Captain
Rep

I might pick up a Gulia Q, should be fun to see Whats what then In terms of real Issues or not. Seems like a very cool car. Manual for me, Its ZF S6-53 gearbox as I understand, and Its god for 600nm Hence it should not brake down then.

As I understand Its also got that race gizmo who allow 100% full throttle and gearing whit out let go of gaspedal?
Appreciate 1
mcc3456332.00
      11-03-2017, 05:06 PM   #60
jmg
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: G82 M4C X-Drive

Garage List
2022 G82 M4C X-Drive  [9.85]
2018 F80 M3 CS  [9.87]
2019 i3 BEV  [0.00]
Quote:
10,000 miles and 9 months into QV ownership with zero issues whatsoever. Already more reliable than the M3 I had for 20,000 miles over two years.

For the record, all car manufacturers have hiccups on occasion. For instance...
http://autoweek.com/article/recalls/...llion-vehicles
25k+ miles on my F80. Zero issues. Yet I've known people will issues as little as 6k. I guess it goes to show that you can't take a sample of 1 and apply it to everything. The same goes for the QV. Your 1 example is just one of many, and those other many examples don't show a very confident trend in reliability in the QV... yet. I really do hope Alfa keeps it up, because their comeback in the US is welcome. I WANT a good reliable Alfa, I've love Alfa's since I was in grade school. The more the merrier, I say.

2022 G82///M4 Competition X-Drive - KW-HAS, EBC Bluestuff, Millway Race Camber Plates, Cup2 Connect*, PSI High Flow Midpipe, Lightweight Front Lip, M Perf Flow Through Wing
Previous • 2018 F80 ///M3 CS • 2016 F80 ///M3
IG: Raging_G82
Appreciate 1
mcc3456332.00
      11-03-2017, 10:14 PM   #61
996ttelise
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Unknown GT4 View Post
I might pick up a Gulia Q, should be fun to see Whats what then In terms of real Issues or not. Seems like a very cool car. Manual for me, Its ZF S6-53 gearbox as I understand, and Its god for 600nm Hence it should not brake down then.

As I understand Its also got that race gizmo who allow 100% full throttle and gearing whit out let go of gaspedal?
Won't be difficult to get a deal on one. They cannot give any of the new Alfa Romeos away here. They have not been able to sell a single QV off the lot and the Stelvio . . . . yeah, they now have perhaps around 50 and have sold . . . 3!!!!! More and more keep rolling in and no one is even looking at them.

They cannot give the base Guilias away either. Ghiblis are currently out selling them by perhaps 3 to 1 . . . Ghibilis!!!! Heck, they sell more Bentaygas and USSVs than cheap arse Stelvios.

It is seriously bad, Alfa Romeos across the entire product line are not moving at all and they cannot give 4Cs away at all. They cannot keep Lotus in stock, sold 3 this past week, and they have sold literally 1 4C this year so far.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2017, 04:54 AM   #62
mcc3456
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 996ttelise View Post
Won't be difficult to get a deal on one. They cannot give any of the new Alfa Romeos away here. They have not been able to sell a single QV off the lot and the Stelvio . . . . yeah, they now have perhaps around 50 and have sold . . . 3!!!!! More and more keep rolling in and no one is even looking at them.

They cannot give the base Guilias away either. Ghiblis are currently out selling them by perhaps 3 to 1 . . . Ghibilis!!!! Heck, they sell more Bentaygas and USSVs than cheap arse Stelvios.

It is seriously bad, Alfa Romeos across the entire product line are not moving at all and they cannot give 4Cs away at all. They cannot keep Lotus in stock, sold 3 this past week, and they have sold literally 1 4C this year so far.
The point of my posts are that the negative stories are few and far between, compared to everyday reality. I’ve seen some isolated complaints on the Alfa Giulia Forum, but they are a very small minority compared to all the very satisfied members. I doubt my car is the only trouble free QV out there, although if it was, maybe I can sell it for a higher price;-)

I understand that you’re very anti-Alfa, but I’ve owned 20-25 higher performance model variant German cars during my driving life, personally I’ve found the QV to be the most engaging car for driving to date. If I didn’t I certainly would not have dumped my beloved M3, mechanical issues aside.

If one understands, that the overblown negative hype of unreliability is simply not the norm (based on the majority of ACTUAL Alfa owner’s long-term ownership experiences vs a 1-3 day jounalist track beat down), then there some amazing deals for a really solid, fun, well-engineered, high quality car/SUV. Hell, you can buy a fully-loaded Giulia Ti Sport for about $10,000+ less than a similarly equipped BMW 330i, a clearly inferior driving car.

Regarding the reason they have not sold in volume (yet!) is because Alfa totally botched the launch. They spent an exorbitant amount on high exposure, yet low yielding TV advertising. Instead, they now need to increase other methods: product placements/appearances, test drive events, track days, celebrity usage image press, sales programs, premium fleet programs, etc. In addition, the initial finance/lease programs were terrible, but about to get much better. They should have initially primed the pump by getting lots of cars on the road for on the road exposure with cheap launch leases, then later on, cut back on incentives, not let cars stack up on lots to only then have end of year fire sales.

Alfa has also wrongly created a highly-variable dealership experience. In some markets, Alfa shares lot space with Ferraris and Maseratis, and in other cases Fiats, Jeeps, Kias. In the New England market, dealerships are few and far between located in some very hard to find places, and not being sold by the savviest of sales people...in fact, some real dummies. Fortunately, for me, my local service dealer is also a Lamborghini, Maserati, Rolls, and Bentley dealer, but the place where I actually bought the car was a Fiat, Kia dealer. For the record, Giulias are outselling Ghiblis 2 to 1, and that includes cases where the lease on the moderately equipped Giulia is nearly as expensive as a $30k more expensive Maserati. Said another way, if your dealership can’t even sell Quadrifoglios off the lot, then they have a real serious sales personnel issue, and they need to clean house.

Those are the most major detractors of launch experience, not people’s receptivity of the car when finally locating a dealership (usually behind another dealership), and actually driving the car. It is a very high quality, good driving car, and it is definitely making some in roads against the BMW 3 series, in particular. The amount of sales that BMW has lost year over year is almost exactly the number of Alfas sold this year. Obviously, they are winning over some traditionally diehard Mercedes and Audi fans too.

Lastly, you know what sells worse than the very niche 4C? The mega costly to develop yet highly unpopular BMW i8 and Z4. Therefore, I don’t pay too much attention to how single-purpose vehicles sell. Hell, my local BMW still has a M4 GTS sitting on their showroom floor, unsold for like 18 months now.

Last edited by mcc3456; 11-04-2017 at 05:10 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2017, 05:07 AM   #63
Captain Unknown GT4
Captain
Rep

I am Looking at a used one, new It was 87656euro pretty much all extras. And carbon front seat and ceramic brakes. Now Its 66 300 euro 10 months old car at 12000km. I guess It will keep going down but It took a hit from new and Its not on me anyway.

I never rate auto car tester that high, but It seems many like the Alfa, Its different wich I like aswell. Most seems to very much like the Alfa. Heck even youtube comments from average people are positive on It. Do that mean I have to like It, well no. But I might, and I think I will like It judged on what I seen so far.

My M4 GTS on the other hand got the worst rating ever from you average youtube comment people and some car testers, and that car I Love to drive and stick to saying most people are missing out on a very cool drivers car in M4 GTS.

Last edited by Captain Unknown GT4; 11-04-2017 at 05:18 AM..
Appreciate 1
mcc3456332.00
      11-04-2017, 05:18 AM   #64
mcc3456
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Unknown GT4 View Post
I am Looking at a used one, new It was 87656euro pretty much all extras. And carbon front seat and ceramic brakes. Now Its 66 300 euro 10 months old car at 12000km. I guess It will keep going down but It took a hit from new and Its not on me anyway.
That’s a fairly typical 1st year depreciation for a new fairly expensive car. All I can say is the I have been very impressed with mine so far. They more I drive the car, the more I seem to really enjoy it. I’ve taken more long drives in this QV than I’ve ever wanted to in any other car, including my recent M3, and prior 4 AMGs. If you test drive one, you’ll be pretty impressed too. It’s a very unique vehicle.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2017, 05:20 AM   #65
996ttelise
Captain
Rep

Quote:
The point of my posts are that the negative stories are few and far between, compared to everyday reality. I’ve seen some isolated complaints on the Alfa Giulia Forum, but they are a very small minority compared to all the very satisfied members. I doubt my car is the only trouble free QV out there, although if it was, maybe I can sell it for a higher price;-)

I understand that you’re very anti-Alfa, but I’ve owned 20-25 higher performance model variant German cars during my driving life, personally I’ve found the QV to be the most engaging car for driving to date. If I didn’t I certainly would not have dumped my beloved M3, mechanical issues aside.

If one understands, that the overblown negative hype of unreliability is simply not the norm (based on the majority of ACTUAL Alfa owner’s long-term ownership experiences vs a 1-3 day jounalist track beat down), then there some amazing deals for a really solid, fun, well-engineered, high quality car/SUV. Hell, you can buy a fully-loaded Giulia Ti Sport for about $10,000+ less than a similarly equipped BMW 330i, a clearly inferior driving car.

Regarding the reason they have not sold in volume (yet!) is because Alfa totally botched the launch. They spent an exorbitant amount on high exposure, yet low yielding TV advertising. Instead, they now need to increase other methods: product placements/appearances, test drive events, track days, celebrity usage image press, sales programs, premium fleet programs, etc. In addition, the initial finance/lease programs were terrible, but about to get much better. They should have initially primed the pump by getting lots of cars on the road for on the road exposure with cheap launch leases, then later on, cut back on incentives, not let cars stack up on lots to only then have end of year fire sales.

Alfa has also wrongly created a highly-variable dealership experience. In some markets, Alfa shares lot space with Ferraris and Maseratis, and in other cases Fiats, Jeeps, Kias. In the New England market, dealerships are few and far between located in some very hard to find places, and not being sold by the savviest of sales people...in fact, some real dummies. Fortunately, for me, my local service dealer is also a Lamborghini, Maserati, Rolls, and Bentley dealer, but the place where I actually bought the car was a Fiat, Kia dealer.

Those are the most major detractors of launch experience, not people’s receptivity of the car when actually locating a dealership (usually behind another dealership), and finally driving the car. It is a very high quality, good driving car, and it is definitely making some in roads against the BMW 3 series, in particular. The amount of sales that BMW has lost year over year is almost exactly the number of Alfas sold this year. Obviously, they are winning over some traditionally diehard Mercedes and Audi fans too.

Lastly, you know what sells worse than the niche 4C? The mega costly to develop BMW i8 and Z4. Therefore, I don’t pay too much attention to how single-purpose vehicles sell. Hell, my local BMW still has a M4 GTS sitting on their showroom floor, unsold for like 18 months now.
Your either delusional or just very dishonest.

At one point, every single Guillia they sold had come back at least once for issues. Some multiple times. That was 2 months ago after 7 months of selling the brand. No one is purchasing them because they suck, already have a horrible reliability track record and one can get into a comparable Audi, BMW or Mercedes cheaper. They have new lease deals and . . . crickets. No one cares.

You don't think a Lotus is a niche car? It is much more expensive than the 4C and they cannot keep them in stock. Look, they sell way more Vanquish and DB11s than the single 4C they have sold and a 4C is only about $67,000 before discount. No one wants them.

You can be a delusional Alfie fanboi cheerleader all you want, but the reality is the brand is a severe bust and it actually kind of sucks as I have friends and family heavily invested in the brand at two different dealerships . . . more keep showing up, no one wants them and it is almost comical how many there are now with no place to park them. I had hoped they would do better. They started out selling okay and getting some traffic, but has virtually dropped off to zero. Lol, Ghibilis are out selling them for crying out loud.

Last edited by 996ttelise; 11-04-2017 at 05:25 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2017, 05:22 AM   #66
Captain Unknown GT4
Captain
Rep

Quote:
That’s a fairly typical 1st year depreciation for a new fairly expensive car. All I can say is the I have been very impressed with mine so far. They more I drive the car, the more I seem to really enjoy it. I’ve taken more long drives in this QV than I’ve ever wanted to in any other car, including my recent M3, and prior 4 AMGs. If you test drive one, you’ll be pretty impressed too. It’s a very unique vehicle.
I Love the Looks, the 4 door layout and that Its kind of a powersedan with god dynamics and roadholding, It seems from what I see you sit also pretty low down to the car in them carbon seats?
Appreciate 1
mcc3456332.00