Autotalent
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > M3/M4 versus...

02-06-2014, 11:26 PM   #23
LDSM
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: ...

That RS5 looks great!

Quote:
Originally Posted by racedoc11 View Post
As another owner of both RS5 (and E93 M3) the RS5 is useless with summer tires in the snow and winter tires or all season are a must.
The RS5 and the new M3/M4 are 2 different cars the M will have higher torque at low RPMs while the RS5 is a high rev engine which is in my opinion is more fun. When it comes to handling I'm sure it will be neck to neck. The handling of the RS5 is breath taking if you will be brave enough to push the car .
The RS5 has no adaptive suspension and the ride is rough and that will give the M an advantage when it comes to the comfort level.
The RS5 pulls much faster than my E93 (don't know about the E92) and since I got H&R sways installed I don't drive the M at all. At the beginning my plan was to get the RS5 until the ZCP package is offered for the M4 (2-3 years) but now I'm selling the M3 and keeping the RS5.
Don't make you mind until you drive both. With either cars you will not lose and for the winter just get a winter tires for the one you end up buying.
Best of luck!
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2014, 02:51 AM   #24
vladberca
Major General
Romania
Rep
Drives: '18 octavia 2.0 tdi dsg

The cars can't be compared, the new M4 will destroy the RS5 on circuit and will be more pleasant to drive as a DD
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2014, 06:58 AM   #25
domd817
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '16 YMB F80 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by m3nari
The car may be near the end of its life-cycle, but it is STILL one of the most beautiful coupes on the road. Quarttro is considered by most to be the best all wheel system in the world and it is amazing to have the confidence when driving in bad conditions.

EXCEPT don't try this with Quarttro:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HyOMskK3A2o

As stated before the major drawbacks are the excessive weight, the lack of driver to car feel and input, and the lack of a manual transmission. Plenty of people track the RS5 and have a blast while doing it (you can get on the gas much earlier in the apex than in a rrd). If you go this route be sure to look at getting the Eurocode Alu Kreuz (helps structural rigidity and stiffens up the steering feel) and a set of sways to "help" with the understeer issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RealStig View Post
I dont understand the winter argument. RS5 is a performance car and it comes with summer tires no? How is the AWD going to help in snow with summer tires? Put on a set of cheap winter tires on the M3, it will destroy RS5 in snow.
You are joking right? Thats like saying because my car comes with all seasons but I track it it every other month that i must keep my all season tire on the car? If you spend over $75k for the car you can most likly afford $1200 on a winter wheel and tire setup.

Quote:
Originally Posted by domd817 View Post
My brother has a s4 with the v6T engine and it even gives him fits.
What type of fits? The V6 Supercharged engine is a beautiful thing (especially when mated to a manual transmission). Around 340 Hp and tons of torque. Smooth and powerful., not to mention there are a few great performance upgrades for this engine that add a ton more HP and Torque for only a couple grand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rated R View Post
Audi is owned by Volkswagen, as is Porsche. Both make it very tough on the owner in regard to cover anything under warranty. They try to weasel out of covering anything.
This is only partially true from experiences that I read on the Audi forums, but very few and far between, and ONLY when and an upgraded aftermarket part could easily be the culprit in the failure. I have never had this issue with any of my Audi's and I have owned 4 with mods.
The EPC light has come on 3 times in it's 25,000 mile life. The dealer keeps saying it's a cylinder misfire but when he takes it in they say there's nothing they can do? Idk just pain to worry about. I do agree that throw sway bars on the Rs5 to help eliminate the movement but at the same time. I feel that for an 80k car, to have to put sways on it is stupid. They should've corrected it in the factory.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2014, 07:15 AM   #26
mkoesel
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW for now

Quote:
Originally Posted by gblansten View Post
RS5 is a beautiful but heavy player in the segment and we are already moving into the next gen for everyone. Audi will be releasing a lighter and meanerA/S5 next fall. The RS5 is a Johnny come lately at this point.
I was thinking along the same lines.

Debates about the performance, reliability, quality of the two cars (B8 RS5 and F8x M4) aside, the B8 platform is nearing end-of-life. The new B9 MLB is supposed to bring lower weight, better handling, and where the RS models are concerned, a switch back to a turbocharged engine. I don't think it is known yet whether the engine will be a 3.0L V6 or 4.0L V8 (I give the former the better chance).

I also have this hunch we'll see a B9 RS4 sedan. So for anyone who wants four doors (OP mentioned M3 and M4), maybe Audi will indulge this time. Mercedes is said to be offering all four body styles (coupe, sedan, convertible, estate) for the W205 AMG, so I could see Audi following suit. BMW seems content with no five door M3, though we have heard rumblings about an F84 M3 GT (which is not what most people want hear I suspect #F81Please).

On the flipside, if you want to buy the last high-revving (> 8000 RPM) V8-powered car on the market south of $200k+, this is your chance.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2014, 07:17 AM   #27
hwelvaar
Major
Belgium
Rep
Drives: BMW M135i MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by paddy335 View Post
The RS5 is a bloated, out-dated boat.
Says the X5 owner...
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2014, 09:20 AM   #28
Randy M
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 B302 LS

Quote:
Originally Posted by domd817
Quote:
Originally Posted by m3nari
The car may be near the end of its life-cycle, but it is STILL one of the most beautiful coupes on the road. Quarttro is considered by most to be the best all wheel system in the world and it is amazing to have the confidence when driving in bad conditions.

EXCEPT don't try this with Quarttro:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HyOMskK3A2o

As stated before the major drawbacks are the excessive weight, the lack of driver to car feel and input, and the lack of a manual transmission. Plenty of people track the RS5 and have a blast while doing it (you can get on the gas much earlier in the apex than in a rrd). If you go this route be sure to look at getting the Eurocode Alu Kreuz (helps structural rigidity and stiffens up the steering feel) and a set of sways to "help" with the understeer issue.

Quote:
I dont understand the winter argument. RS5 is a performance car and it comes with summer tires no? How is the AWD going to help in snow with summer tires? Put on a set of cheap winter tires on the M3, it will destroy RS5 in snow.
You are joking right? Thats like saying because my car comes with all seasons but I track it it every other month that i must keep my all season tire on the car? If you spend over $75k for the car you can most likly afford $1200 on a winter wheel and tire setup.

Quote:
My brother has a s4 with the v6T engine and it even gives him fits.
What type of fits? The V6 Supercharged engine is a beautiful thing (especially when mated to a manual transmission). Around 340 Hp and tons of torque. Smooth and powerful., not to mention there are a few great performance upgrades for this engine that add a ton more HP and Torque for only a couple grand.

Quote:
Audi is owned by Volkswagen, as is Porsche. Both make it very tough on the owner in regard to cover anything under warranty. They try to weasel out of covering anything.
This is only partially true from experiences that I read on the Audi forums, but very few and far between, and ONLY when and an upgraded aftermarket part could easily be the culprit in the failure. I have never had this issue with any of my Audi's and I have owned 4 with mods.
The EPC light has come on 3 times in it's 25,000 mile life. The dealer keeps saying it's a cylinder misfire but when he takes it in they say there's nothing they can do? Idk just pain to worry about. I do agree that throw sway bars on the Rs5 to help eliminate the movement but at the same time. I feel that for an 80k car, to have to put sways on it is stupid. They should've corrected it in the factory.
The EPC light is likely carbon buildup.
      02-07-2014, 09:42 AM   #29
absoluteis350
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2016 Singapore Grey M3

Quote:
Driver experience: Less than stellar. Both the RS4 and RS5 understeer, even with the torque vectoring I've found. Both engines are pretty much the same which means they have zero torque and you have to wind them out to get any sort of performance out of them. And both cars are very heavy which makes their understeering tendencies even worse. Murder on the front brakes and tires as well.

Ownership experience: I can't speak of the RS5 but with the RS4 I needed new tires and brake pads at 20K. My DRC suspension blew the front shocks and Audi didn't want to cover them. That took a poison pen letter to the regional rep to get that fixed. The 4.2 FSI engine is also notorious for carbon buildup in the intake. Audi will not cover the cleaning even though their patent filing state that this is a potential problem with their FSI direct injection design. Audi is owned by Volkswagen, as is Porsche. Both make it very tough on the owner in regard to cover anything under warranty. They try to weasel out of covering anything.
As a current RS4 owner, I do agree the car understeers and is quite heavy, but saying that handling is less than stellar is a bit of an overstatement. It is rough on the front brakes, but changing to aftermarket Stoptech pads, I resolved the high brake wear. The DRC has been fine for me, without any problems, and at 100k mi, while I prob have carbon buildup, I haven't had much power loss (on dyno) and no CEL's. Personally, for a snowy area like Boston where I need to get to work, regardless of the snowfall or state of the roads, there is no other car I would rather have. I'm sorry, RWD with snow tires does not cut it in a couple of the situations I have had to drive. And the V8 engine note is simply the best sound south of $125k I will miss this car.

However... I am getting an M4 for my next car, and an AWD beater for getting to work in crap weather. #1 reason? No Manual Transmission. That's it, discussion is over for me.
Also already mentioned, the RS5 is near end of life with the b8 platform. The weight reduction from the RS4/5 will be huge. The M4 engine looks like it will be amazing with the amount of torque produced.

As far as the M4 "demolishing" the RS5... well, people have a very liberal definition of demolishing... the M4 will demolish a Crown Vic on the track, it will not 'demolish' an RS5.

Anyway, I can't wait for the M4. I think the RS5, while beautiful and awesome, is older and will be surpassed in performance by the M4.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2014, 09:48 AM   #30
Carl L
Major
Rep
Drives: '15 M3

I have two good friends with B7 RS4 and have borrowed their cars on many occasions. It is a GREAT car, exhaust note, braking feel and body control are like no other Audi save the R8.

One of those same friends was given an RS5 for the day and found it a big disappointment. Other than the fact it's a DCT, he was disappointed by the overall feel (particularly steering he said) and said it felt far less alive than his RS4. Perhaps it was just his expecting of an advancement given that it's 5 years newer than his car while in actuality it's basically a re-body.

Looking at the two, I do miss the amazing arches the RS4 received. It still looks very special. Good to see that V8 get a final runout though in an affordable body, other than some reliability issues the engine really is every bit as accomplished as the M V8.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2014, 09:50 AM   #31
absoluteis350
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl L View Post
One of those same friends was given an RS5 for the day and found it a big disappointment. Other than the fact it's a DCT, he was disappointed by the overall feel (particularly steering he said) and said it felt far less alive than his RS4. Perhaps it was just his expecting of an advancement given that it's 5 years newer than his car while in actuality it's basically a re-body.
Yea.. I agree.. I have had one of my friends say the same thing. Also, Chris Harris agrees in his online reviews Who can argue with him? heh
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2014, 10:18 AM   #32
UK6
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M4 & 330e

Quote:
Originally Posted by phishhead24 View Post
That is SEXY!!!!! Good job brother!
Agreed, best looking one I've seen.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2014, 10:38 AM   #33
GregW / Oregon
Commander-In-Chief
Rep
Drives: 2023 M2 Coupe, 2020 GLE 450

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by UK6 View Post
Agreed, best looking one I've seen.
Yep. Wish we could get a red like that on the M4.

Greg Lake Oswego, Oregon, USA
2023 M2 Coupe - Brooklyn Grey/Cognac/CF, 6MT; 2020 MB GLE 450
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2014, 12:56 PM   #34
bimmerj
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: cars

Quote:
No it won't. I passed, during a snow storm, an M3 with my C250/4-matic, like it was standing still.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2014, 01:00 PM   #35
UK6
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M4 & 330e

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW / Oregon View Post
Yes, I'd kill for a good solid Audi like red on the M4.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2014, 01:05 PM   #36
domd817
Private First Class
Rep

Just drove the RS5. Great car. The engine is awesome and the transmission is aggressive. The sound is great. One thing I noticed. The ride is harsh. more than I was expecting. The steering was good in dynamic mode but comfort felt bland. I took a drive over to the BMW dealer now and I just talked to the sales guys. Tom Morgan at P&W BMW. great guy. He said I'd be second in line for the m4. what to do what to do.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2014, 01:12 PM   #37
jbockrd
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 Alpine White/Carbon M3

the steering and weight, along with no manual trans are deal breakers for me
      02-07-2014, 01:17 PM   #38
absoluteis350
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbockrd View Post
the steering and weight, along with no manual trans are deal breakers for me
Exactly..

Quote:
Of course you can... BMW Individual it. Any custom color you want.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2014, 01:18 PM   #39
Powerslide
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 ZCP

I've never driven as RS5, but an RS5 with the same snow tires as
An M3/M4 should (at least in theory) handle better...

On the flip side - an M3/M4 with winter tires should handle better in snow than and RS5 with all season tires, and way better than RS5 with summer performance tires (but
That is a classic - unfair apples to oranges comparison).

Bottom line: all things being otherwise equal - winter performance is more dramatically affected by winter v. all season or summer tires on the one hand, versus AWD or RWD on the other hand.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2014, 02:39 PM   #40
Race_Doc11
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2023 G82 M4

Garage List
2023 BMW G82 M4  [10.00]
2018 F80 M3  [10.00]
2013 Audi RS5 (Sold)  [10.00]
2008 E93 M3 (Sold)  [10.00]
I told you the ride is rough it bothered me at the beginning then I got used to it. The steering in numb but I'm not expecting a great improvement on the M3/4 since they are going to have electric as well. I'm not going to commit to the M4 until I drive it first.
Quote:
Just drove the RS5. Great car. The engine is awesome and the transmission is aggressive. The sound is great. One thing I noticed. The ride is harsh. more than I was expecting. The steering was good in dynamic mode but comfort felt bland. I took a drive over to the BMW dealer now and I just talked to the sales guys. Tom Morgan at P&W BMW. great guy. He said I'd be second in line for the m4. what to do what to do.

Last edited by Race_Doc11; 02-07-2014 at 04:28 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2014, 03:01 PM   #41
Powaup
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 Supra 3.0 (Past: 2015 M23

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [10.00]
Wait and test drive both. Ask yourself if you will miss rowing your gears as well
      02-07-2014, 03:59 PM   #42
domd817
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powaup
Wait and test drive both. Ask yourself if you will miss rowing your gears as well
Definitely will miss rowing gears and since that'll be extinct soon, I'm gonna have to go m4. That's a bigger deal to me than the high revving v8.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2014, 04:03 PM   #43
ixse
Major
Rep
Drives: 2015 boxster s

i hate to admit, but as dd, things like mpg and seats for family matter to me. had e60 m5 giving me 8.5mpg on avg.. and it sucked. rs5 is prettier car imo. but just not efficient enough as dd.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2014, 04:17 PM   #44
signes
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 991 GT3 RS

Quote:
Always liked Misano red (which I believe that is.) A nice classic, rich red. Closest BMW has had was Imola which is still my fave.