BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance (Wash/Wax/Detailing/Exterior Restoration & Repairs)

04-17-2019, 09:45 AM   #23
Alan l.
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2020 F95 X5M Competition

Everything else set aside...just the hydrophobic properties of ceramic coatings is worth it alone when you wash/dry the car. Water beads and runs off car like it saw a ghost when I put my leaf blower to it. Its night and day compared to a car that doesn't have any coating on it. Plus the fact that the car stays cleaner longer, amazing shine and protection is just icing on the cake.

Last edited by Alan l.; 04-17-2019 at 01:48 PM..
Appreciate 2
Bobh5952.00
scrammer420.50
      04-17-2019, 10:56 AM   #24
Eric S
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: in pre-order stages

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan l. View Post
Everything else set aside but just the hydrophobic properties of ceramic coatings is worth it alone when you wash/dry the car. Water beads and runs off car like it saw a ghost when I put my leaf blower to it. Its night and day compared to a car that doesn't have any coating on it. Plus the fact that the car stays cleaner longer, amazing shine and protection is just icing on the cake.
boom!
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2019, 06:47 AM   #25
LLNM4
Second Lieutenant
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: M4 F82 MG

ceramiek pro

Easier to wash and the gloss looks awesome after applying ceramic pro gold. The car looks new everyday
And yes, it's more expensive than wax.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2019, 12:58 AM   #26
danchee
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 21 X7 40i

So I'm reading that most coating has a finite lifetime, some 2 years, some 3 years, etc... For those hitting close to the lifetime of their coating, do you see spots that wear faster than others or do they wear off evenly? When you do get to that time, do you simply put another layer on or do you have to somehow compound polish the coating off, then go through the whole prep+coat process?
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2019, 09:08 AM   #27
Eric S
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: in pre-order stages

minor polish and recoat - then just enjoy all the benefits all over again with easier maintenance
Appreciate 1
danchee136.00
      04-29-2019, 09:15 AM   #28
Alan l.
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2020 F95 X5M Competition

For me i never let it get to the point where the coating is on its last legs. Like Eric S. said a minor polish or even just a 50/50 alcohol wipe down is enough for me to apply another coating over it and its back to 100%. I can coat an entire car in 1/4 time it takes me to wax a car the traditional way. I see no reason to use wax anymore unless you want that max concurs shine at pebble beach.

I use Cquartz UK 3.0 which is alittle more work than something like OptiGloss. I find Cquartz lasting longer and beads better but nothing beats how easy it is to apply Optigloss. I just did my buddies suv over the weekend and it took less than 30mins to his entire exterior.

Alan
      04-29-2019, 10:20 AM   #29
danchee
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 21 X7 40i

Thanks! Took about 2 hours for me to do (first time) over the weekend. The prep on the other hand, damn, that took a while Wash, clay, strip off previous waxes and a second pass to make sure I get the edges all done right took about 4 hours! It's a whole day affair
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2021, 09:55 PM   #30
Gasman1962
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW 840i Gran Coupe

I did PPF on the whole front end and Ceramic Pro on top of the PPF and remainder of the car surfaces. 2 years later, I get compliments all the time on how great it looks. Just sold that vehicle and am scheduled to do it again on my M440i
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2021, 10:08 PM   #31
JagR2611
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW F80

Quote:
Originally Posted by marvinp View Post
Thanks for all the responses! I think this has made my decision that much more difficult

I think it may come down to a cost decision. To wrap my hood, front bumper, mirrors, rear bumper and trunk in PPF would cost $2,300 per one detailer's quote. A coat of Ceramic Pro 9H would cost $500 with each additional coat costing $150. In an ideal world, I'd get the entire car wrapped, but that's waaay too costly relative to the car's value IMO.

So I'm really torn as to what I'll do. I look at my 135i and it's littered with rock chips all over the hood, bumper, trump, roof, you name it.

I think my options are to either A) Get PPF on front bumper and hood (the areas most likely to get rock chips and most visible) or B) Get a couple of coats of Ceramic Pro 9H and live with the fact that I'll get rock chips. But I don't think I can justify getting both :/
Quote:
Originally Posted by marvinp View Post
Thanks for all the responses! I think this has made my decision that much more difficult

I think it may come down to a cost decision. To wrap my hood, front bumper, mirrors, rear bumper and trunk in PPF would cost $2,300 per one detailer's quote. A coat of Ceramic Pro 9H would cost $500 with each additional coat costing $150. In an ideal world, I'd get the entire car wrapped, but that's waaay too costly relative to the car's value IMO.

So I'm really torn as to what I'll do. I look at my 135i and it's littered with rock chips all over the hood, bumper, trump, roof, you name it.

I think my options are to either A) Get PPF on front bumper and hood (the areas most likely to get rock chips and most visible) or B) Get a couple of coats of Ceramic Pro 9H and live with the fact that I'll get rock chips. But I don't think I can justify getting both :/
If possible, do both (PPF + a coating).

For what it's worth, I have had different comparable professional grade coatings on various cars. Prep to me is just as if not more important than the product itself.

Ceramic Pro is a good choice but if forced to pick, Gtechniq edges it out.
Appreciate 0