GetBMWParts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

10-12-2021, 10:26 PM   #1
dawei213
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3

Loose EDC connector for monoball camber plates install

Issue: I recently installed Millway uniball camber plates. My EDC connector to my strut does not sit snug fit because of the strut nut doesn't go far down enough (Picture 1) and the EDC connector just barely sits and able to make a connection (Picture 2).

Second issue is with the more aggressive camber setting, the placement of the top of the EDC connector doesn't align with the open channels of rubber strut tower cover. (Side note: I also have to move the EDC connector cover to the outside of the rubber strut cover as it will not sit properly - Picture 3.) So what ends up happening is when going over very uneven road (think grassy areas or dirt roads), there's some flex where the rubber cover would knock the top of the EDC loose, then I'd get the Chassis malfunction error. A simple push from the top would set it straight again.

As a temporary solution to this issue, I've used electrical tape to tape down the EDC connector to the top of the strut. However, one of my EDC connector snapped. Not sure how it happened but I'm thinking the flexing of the car probably snapped the top off from the inserted part.

So basically I'm reaching out to the community to see what are some solution to this issue? Basically are other camber plates and EDC owner facing the same issues relying?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-13-2021, 04:48 AM   #2
bvrider1
Captain
Rep
Drives: e90 m3 + f80 zcp

The last pic in this thread shows more thread showing than yours. Did you achieve the torque spec?

https://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...87&postcount=1
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2021, 07:25 AM   #3
dawei213
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Knightarmor has the street version of the plate which has the polyurethane bushing, so the design is similar to the oem top hat. Where the nut eventually sits once torqued down is much lower. The uniball/monoball design, the nut will rest much higher. Take a look at the attached pic.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-13-2021, 10:51 AM   #4
FaRKle!
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 328d Wagon, M2 Comp, i4 eD35

Garage List
Are you supposed to use the stock top strut nut? For the F2x/F3x monoball versions they include a nut that's lower profile.

Please don't PM me for suspension recommendations unless interested in paid private consultations.
Appreciate 1
      10-13-2021, 12:14 PM   #5
dawei213
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FaRKle! View Post
Are you supposed to use the stock top strut nut? For the F2x/F3x monoball versions they include a nut that's lower profile.
Huh, there is no extra low profile nut included as part of the package. Are you referring to this? https://www.millway.se/damper-nut-m1...tes-90377.html

I asked Sam from Millway about the OEM nut and he said my install looks correct and made no mention of a low profile nut. I'll ask about it.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2021, 02:10 PM   #6
FaRKle!
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by dawei213 View Post
Huh, there is no extra low profile nut included as part of the package. Are you referring to this? https://www.millway.se/damper-nut-m1...tes-90377.html

I asked Sam from Millway about the OEM nut and he said my install looks correct and made no mention of a low profile nut. I'll ask about it.
Yes, I don't know of the F8x plates are supposed to come with a nut like that or not (they'd be M14 instead of M12 though).
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2021, 06:52 PM   #7
dawei213
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by dawei213 View Post

Yes, I don't know of the F8x plates are supposed to come with a nut like that or not (they'd be M14 instead of M12 though).
Millway responded that the F8x platform does not come with the lower profile strut nut. Sam also mentioned they've sold plenty of the f8x monoball version but have not received any complaints/issues from customers. Surprisingly, I can't find much threads on this forum regarding Millway camber plates except from a few members who got the street version, FaRKle's analysis and individuals selling the plates. I found another member who did the same thing as me, ordered the wrong version thinking it was the street version.

I had the shop who did the alignment to check my install and they confirmed the install was done correctly. Both my left and right strut had the same amount of thread protruding from the plate, which is to say it isn't much.. The shop also took the top nut off, drop the suspension and just reinstalled with the same results. So for now it's a mystery.

Sam also mentioned they are investigating it further and will get back to me. I just hope there's a solution as the EDC connector can get dislodged enough, even with electrical tape, to throw the Chassis malfunction error.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2021, 08:28 PM   #8
FaRKle!
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
One of the other things you can look into is using one of the rear damper top nuts on the front. It's shorter/lower profile, but has the same thread pitch. I just don't know how much weaker that nut is due to the fewer threads.

Please don't PM me for suspension recommendations unless interested in paid private consultations.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2021, 10:44 PM   #9
dawei213
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
One of the other things you can look into is using one of the rear damper top nuts on the front. It's shorter/lower profile, but has the same thread pitch. I just don't know how much weaker that nut is due to the fewer threads.
That could be an option, though like you said, the reduce number of threads may affect the hold onto the strut. And considering it's the one piece that'll face the most about of vibration, it may not hold for the long term.

Hopefully Millway finds an acceptable solution or if they can't, replace just that portion with the street version.
Appreciate 0