Mo Reviews
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in | Oil & Fluids | Servicing | TSB | Recalls

08-16-2021, 11:19 AM   #1
Keebs_yo
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 Laguna Seca Blue DCT M3

Weird A/C hiccup this morning

As stated in the title, I left the house for my normal commute to work and the A/C was blowing cold, but about 5 minutes in it started blowing warm without any input from myself. A/C was in auto mode and set to 68 F. And yes the center vent dial was rotated to the blue side lol! Anyway, took it straight to the dealership since warranty and all they did was scan my key (so they said) and it started blowing ice cold again?! So I’m happy it’s working, but confused about what happened. Only other condition to note which may or may not have played a part was that I was into my fuel reserve, but even after I fueled up the A/C was still blowing warm. Figured I’d post this to see if anyone has ever experienced the same or similar.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2021, 01:12 AM   #2
wlin001
Rep
Drives: M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keebs_yo View Post
As stated in the title, I left the house for my normal commute to work and the A/C was blowing cold, but about 5 minutes in it started blowing warm without any input from myself. A/C was in auto mode and set to 68 F. And yes the center vent dial was rotated to the blue side lol! Anyway, took it straight to the dealership since warranty and all they did was scan my key (so they said) and it started blowing ice cold again?! So I’m happy it’s working, but confused about what happened. Only other condition to note which may or may not have played a part was that I was into my fuel reserve, but even after I fueled up the A/C was still blowing warm. Figured I’d post this to see if anyone has ever experienced the same or similar.
Did you turn on engine auto start/stop function? AC will shut off while the engine stop function is on (i.e., waiting at a stop light)
      08-17-2021, 07:28 PM   #3
Keebs_yo
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by wlin001 View Post
Did you turn on engine auto start/stop function? AC will shut off while the engine stop function is on (i.e., waiting at a stop light)
I have that “feature” disabled thru BimmerCode. A/C still blowing cold today without any further issues. I dunno, maybe the temp sensor utilized for the climate control went screwy or offline for a bit? However I didn’t see any error codes either so hard to really say Not gonna worry about it unless it goes warm again on me cuz that’s no bueno this time of year here in Central Florida!
Appreciate 1
Cboy39.00
      08-17-2021, 09:47 PM   #4
wlin001
Rep
Drives: M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keebs_yo View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by wlin001 View Post
I have that “feature” disabled thru BimmerCode. A/C still blowing cold today without any further issues. I dunno, maybe the temp sensor utilized for the climate control went screwy or offline for a bit? However I didn’t see any error codes either so hard to really say Not gonna worry about it unless it goes warm again on me cuz that’s no bueno this time of year here in Central Florida!
Does sound like a sensor issue. Good luck
      08-18-2021, 11:47 AM   #5
vietboyx1115
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: MG F80 Comp

Something similar happened to mine a few weeks back. Dealer told me it's a common issue, but the fix was adding a spacer to the A/C Temp sensor to back off the evaporator. Apparently it thinks it's getting too cold so thats why the A/C stops blowing cold.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2021, 12:46 PM   #6
Keebs_yo
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by vietboyx1115 View Post
Something similar happened to mine a few weeks back. Dealer told me it's a common issue, but the fix was adding a spacer to the A/C Temp sensor to back off the evaporator. Apparently it thinks it's getting too cold so thats why the A/C stops blowing cold.
Interesting. Thanks for the insight!
Appreciate 0