ARMA SPEED
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > BMW M3 (F80) and BMW M4 (F82) General Forum

02-20-2021, 04:30 PM   #1
Beemer125
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW M4 Comp Convrtible

Whoosh!

Hi Everyone,

I'm from the UK and got my 2016/17 M4 Competition Pack Convertible last Wednesday. Great car and so pleased with it but, I have a question about a noise. If say I was traveling at 30mph and accelerate I hear a whooshing sound coming from the area of the idrive screen or maybe the air-vents below the screen. It sounds as though the air-con fans have momentarily decided to speed up. I thought that maybe it was some sort of BMW artificial turbo noise but it doesn't sound that good to have made it through the R&D team. i've googled it and cannnot find anything so wondered whether your cars do the same before I speak to the dealer as I've not been in any other M4 to compare it.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2021, 06:03 PM   #2
PKizzle
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3, E36 M3, X4 M40

You sure it's not just the intake noise? I've noticed that as well, but only when in sport+ and accelerating suddenly from say around 3000 rpm. There's a prominent whoosh then. This car certainly makes all kinds of interesting noises that you get used to after a while.

First time my wife heard it she described it as 'that sounds like someone sucking on a bong'.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2021, 06:06 PM   #3
deeldoo
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW M4 - DCT 2016

This is a combination of intake and active sound, active sound will shake your front windshield a tiny bit.

Ignore it, these cars make all sorts of noise, or you can unplug your asd.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2021, 02:33 AM   #4
Beemer125
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW M4 Comp Convrtible

Thanks guys. i bought th car from an independent garage (not a BMW dealer) but I am in touch with the previous owner via Instagram who cherished the car and is very helpful with advice so he asked me to send him a video which I will try to do today
Appreciate 0