ARMA SPEED
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > BMW M3 (F80) and BMW M4 (F82) General Forum

09-09-2021, 06:04 PM   #1
pfrederi
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 1995 E36 M3

2918 M4 Leather Interior Care

Hello All
Once again Im new to the forum and a new M4 owner. I find myself making excuses to go take a drive in this thing. I enjoy this car so much. the interior is just as i want it and i would like to keep it that way for as long as possible. this car is like a work of art to look at. But Im not scared to drive it either. i didnt buy it to just sit there and look at. Anyways I would luv some valuable input on how to treat and take care of the leather interior including seats and dash with the doublesticthing without discloring the doublestictching. I ask because I own a 95 E36 M3 as well and when i got it years ago i was just as enthusisatic on keeping the car and its leather (dove grey leather on avus blue exterior) interior in great shape but over the years the drivers seat leather has been torn to shreds. I understand that partly because thats the seat thats used the most but damn. I treated the leather and cleaned but slacked off some. I guess part due to the car was parked outside because i didnt have a house then to park it in a garage so its seen a lot of heat/cold cycles. Ami the only one that thinks that for the price of these cars BMW should reinforce the parts of the drivers seat that get hammered a lot especially on leaving and entering the car. By that i mean the lumbar seat area closest to the outside of the car. It cant be helped that it gets hit on entry and exit evrytime. Seems like it should be bolstered or reinforced somehow so the leather does not wear out as fast comapred to the rest of the seat. Or ami the only one that thinks that way lol

Can anyone recommend a good product and routine to take care of the leather seats and dash without overdoing it with leather products. Ive tried top leather products (Leatherique, Lexol) before and some make the leather look too shiny and leave a lot of residue. I just want something natural to keep it looking the way it is now. Not shiny but clean and pliable. Any good recommendations please??

Thansk in advance
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2021, 06:32 PM   #2
explore.more
Rep
Drives: F82 M4

Everyone will have their own preference in brands, so that's going to get a lot of different responses.

I've been detailing vehicles on the weekends for over 5 years and have used a lot of different products. It all depends on your budget really. I've found that the higher priced products aren't always worth it.

I've been using Wolfgang leather cleaner & conditioner for a while now, and I've been happy with the results. No greasy final product, and it's budget friendly.
https://www.autogeek.net/wolfgang-leather-combo.html
I've been using Nextzett interior cleaner for years now. It'll get rid of any of the dirt and grime on the interior areas, and leave a matte finish. It used to be under the name Einzett. https://www.autogeek.net/1z-einzett-...t-premium.html
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2021, 06:50 PM   #3
hellokitty
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 M3 ZCP DCT

+1 for nextzett interior cleaner.
2017 F80 M3 ZCP / AA GESI DPs / Akrapovic Evo / BBS FI-R 19" / Bend Calibration ECUTEK Flex Fuel | Bilstein B16 DDC + CS EDC / BMC Filters / BMS OCC / CSF HE / ESS CP / Nitto NT555R2 / PD Crank Hub / SPL Suspension / Uniden R7 / Wagner Top Mount IC

2021 Mini GP3 / BMC Filters / BM3 / Cary Jordan E30 / Wagner IC / Remus Race
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2021, 08:25 PM   #4
Shubacca
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F80 M3, E36/7 M Roadster

After some reading around on this and other forums I went with this:

Chemical Guys SPI_109_16 Leather Cleaner and Leather Conditioner Kit for Use on Leather Apparel, Furniture, Car Interiors, Shoes, Boots, Bags & More (2 - 16 Oz Bottles) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001TJ3HUG...UTF8&psc=1

Well reviewed and inexpensive. Only 1/2 way through using it but it seems to do the job.
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2021, 08:49 PM   #5
NickyC
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: M4 CS. Former G82, x2 F82, F80

Nothing.

A microfiber towel with warm water once a week. All the other stuff strips the leather. I keep everything looking brand new for years with this method, especially the steering wheel, shift knob, etc.
Appreciate 1
RickFLM410971.00
      09-09-2021, 09:27 PM   #6
JagR2611
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW F80

Quote:
Originally Posted by pfrederi@hotmail.com View Post
Hello All
Once again Im new to the forum and a new M4 owner. I find myself making excuses to go take a drive in this thing. I enjoy this car so much. the interior is just as i want it and i would like to keep it that way for as long as possible. this car is like a work of art to look at. But Im not scared to drive it either. i didnt buy it to just sit there and look at. Anyways I would luv some valuable input on how to treat and take care of the leather interior including seats and dash with the doublesticthing without discloring the doublestictching. I ask because I own a 95 E36 M3 as well and when i got it years ago i was just as enthusisatic on keeping the car and its leather (dove grey leather on avus blue exterior) interior in great shape but over the years the drivers seat leather has been torn to shreds. I understand that partly because thats the seat thats used the most but damn. I treated the leather and cleaned but slacked off some. I guess part due to the car was parked outside because i didnt have a house then to park it in a garage so its seen a lot of heat/cold cycles. Ami the only one that thinks that for the price of these cars BMW should reinforce the parts of the drivers seat that get hammered a lot especially on leaving and entering the car. By that i mean the lumbar seat area closest to the outside of the car. It cant be helped that it gets hit on entry and exit evrytime. Seems like it should be bolstered or reinforced somehow so the leather does not wear out as fast comapred to the rest of the seat. Or ami the only one that thinks that way lol

Can anyone recommend a good product and routine to take care of the leather seats and dash without overdoing it with leather products. Ive tried top leather products (Leatherique, Lexol) before and some make the leather look too shiny and leave a lot of residue. I just want something natural to keep it looking the way it is now. Not shiny but clean and pliable. Any good recommendations please??

Thansk in advance
Quote:
Hello All

Thansk in advance

Colourlock or Leatherique - Tried & true.

Several informational and DYI type videos out there on both. If you have time, check out Obsessed Garage & Esoteric.
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2021, 10:11 PM   #7
icebiker
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 F83 6MT

On the other side of the coin, try modifying your entry technique. I insert my right foot first, then grab the steering wheel with my right hand and use it to hold the rest of my body away from the outer bolsters until my rear end is seated. This way I avoid the typical rubbing against the bolster that causes fading, wear or cracking. As for leather care I use Lexol and seems to be holding up well.
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2021, 11:16 PM   #8
hC1001
Captain
Rep
Drives: E36 M3, F80 M3

The leather is coated so conditioners dont do anything except rub onto your cloths as you sit in the seat.

A diluted mild interior cleaner is what i use.
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2021, 11:51 PM   #9
MW F82 ///M4
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW M4

I use the BMW branded leather care on my 2018 and have been very happy with it. I’ve used leatherique in the past on my older bmws that needed some rehab, and it’s a fantastic product for that purpose.

I also use a modified entry and exit technique when using the vehicle to avoid beating up the bolster. Goofy but over time it really does save the leather.
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2021, 01:01 PM   #10
pfrederi
Private First Class
Rep

Hey Thanks for all the valuable feedback guys. Ill definitely try a couple of the suggestions and products and see what works best for me. Much Appreciated.

As an added note I did figure out method of sorts to help so I dnt beat up my leather too bad on exit and entry. I figure if i program my seat buttons in a manner to have one for when im driving in the car and one for when im exiting i can stand a better chance.

In other words I pgm my seat button:
1) for when im driving (which is more constricted) and my seat button
2) to be more wide open with the seat far back and the bolsters all the way out to give me more clearance on entering and exiting the vehicle.

So now when I enter and exit the vehicle I just hit one of the two buttons and when im rdy to drive i hit the seat button 1. Its a lil more added steps but i think itll be worth it. Again I dnt know why a car at this price point does not have a setting like my infinti that when i enter and leave the vehicle it automatically does that to give you clearance and sets the seat back to your setting automatically when you enter the vehicle. It even moves the steering wheel out of the way back and up.

Thanks
Appreciate 1
GBM3NJ48.50
      09-10-2021, 02:53 PM   #11
RoundelM3
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 15 F80 M3, 22 G01 X3 30i

Garage List
2022 BMW X3  [9.83]
2015 BMW M3  [6.50]
Griot's 3-in-1 leather care, either spray or lotion. Smells great, too.

2015 F80 ///M3 Sedan 7DCT Tanzanite, 2022 X3 sDrive30i 8AT Brooklyn Grey
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2021, 08:31 PM   #12
Shubacca
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Hey Thanks for all the valuable feedback guys. Ill definitely try a couple of the suggestions and products and see what works best for me. Much Appreciated.

As an added note I did figure out method of sorts to help so I dnt beat up my leather too bad on exit and entry. I figure if i program my seat buttons in a manner to have one for when im driving in the car and one for when im exiting i can stand a better chance.

2) to be more wide open with the seat far back and the bolsters all the way out to give me more clearance on entering and exiting the vehicle.

So now when I enter and exit the vehicle I just hit one of the two buttons and when im rdy to drive i hit the seat button 1. Its a lil more added steps but i think itll be worth it. Again I dnt know why a car at this price point does not have a setting like my infinti that when i enter and leave the vehicle it automatically does that to give you clearance and sets the seat back to your setting automatically when you enter the vehicle. It even moves the steering wheel out of the way back and up.

Thanks
Do you have BimmerCode? If you do you can set up "exit seat" where the seat will move back after the ignition is turned off and the door is opened. You can choose the distance in mm that the seat moves. The one got ya is that if you start the car with the door open, the seat will not move into the last memory position. Not a big deal you can just press your memory setting and it goes.
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2021, 10:23 PM   #13
JagR2611
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shubacca View Post
Quote:

Thanks
Do you have BimmerCode? If you do you can set up "exit seat" where the seat will move back after the ignition is turned off and the door is opened. You can choose the distance in mm that the seat moves. The one got ya is that if you start the car with the door open, the seat will not move into the last memory position. Not a big deal you can just press your memory setting and it goes.
Quote:
Quote:

Thanks
I have BimmerCode but haven't used it recently. Is "exit seat" a new feature / option? I pulled demo mode up and see it but don't remember it being there last time I was using it. My AMG has this feature built in and I couldn't believe my F80 didn't. Any specific requirements or will it work with all F8X?
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2021, 05:24 PM   #14
Shubacca
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JagR2611 View Post
I have BimmerCode but haven't used it recently. Is "exit seat" a new feature / option? I pulled demo mode up and see it but don't remember it being there last time I was using it. My AMG has this feature built in and I couldn't believe my F80 didn't. Any specific requirements or will it work with all F8X?
*In demo mode* it's under "Seat Module Driver", "Easy Entry". Nothing special required to code this, I did it as soon as I got the car ('17 M3 Comp). Works great! Give it a go. Sorry I don't remember if it's called something different with an actual vehicle connection.
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2021, 09:55 PM   #15
JagR2611
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by JagR2611 View Post
*In demo mode* it's under "Seat Module Driver", "Easy Entry". Nothing special required to code this, I did it as soon as I got the car ('17 M3 Comp). Works great! Give it a go. Sorry I don't remember if it's called something different with an actual vehicle connection.
Appreciate the post & response! I will give it a go. Thank you.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2021, 01:03 PM   #16
pfrederi
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:

Ill have to try that as well. I didnt know about Bimmercode App but definitely will have to check that out and see how that works out for me. Seems like a lot of different apps and accounts to keep track of. they told me to download the My BMW app alonf with a couple other accounts to register for nut ill definitely check it out.

Thx
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2021, 01:13 PM   #17
pfrederi
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickyC View Post
Nothing.

A microfiber towel with warm water once a week. All the other stuff strips the leather. I keep everything looking brand new for years with this method, especially the steering wheel, shift knob, etc.
Ive tried that so far and i think i like it. it doesnt add any oily residue and takes off any dirt from the top layer and leather looking like it was with that still new car smell with no added perfumes and stuff. however I am concerned if just water on a rag will eventually dry out and contribute to cracking the leather or no??

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2021, 02:59 PM   #18
NickyC
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Ive tried that so far and i think i like it. it doesnt add any oily residue and takes off any dirt from the top layer and leather looking like it was with that still new car smell with no added perfumes and stuff. however I am concerned if just water on a rag will eventually dry out and contribute to cracking the leather or no??

Thanks
I have not had that happen. I even keep the matte look to the steering wheel leather long term with just this method once a week!
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2021, 09:53 AM   #19
spool twice
Rainbow Racer
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M4cs

Garage List
2019 M4cs  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by NickyC View Post
Nothing.

Same, keep it simple and just develop a routine and the interior will always look like new.

I use the same method on my Alcantara steering wheel. 2 years later, still looks showroom fresh and feels exactly the same as when new.
Appreciate 1
NickyC17473.50
      09-15-2021, 10:07 AM   #20
NickyC
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by spool twice View Post
Same, keep it simple and just develop a routine and the interior will always look like new.

I use the same method on my Alcantara steering wheel. 2 years later, still looks showroom fresh and feels exactly the same as when new.
Yep right on!
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2021, 10:31 AM   #21
pfrederi
Private First Class
Rep

Yeah Im liking the simple method. Not saying the others mentioned are not good as well but if this one works ill continue using it and keep it simple. If anything i may once in a blue moon add a tiny bit of conditioner real small amt just to add tad of keep up to the leather but thats it.

Thx again
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2021, 11:04 AM   #22
kcha
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Nextzett interior cleaner for quick wide down

Gyeon mild leather cleaner mild & leather coat for cleaning & protecting
Meguiars apc diluted 10:1 for carbonstructure surface
Appreciate 0