proTUNING Freaks
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > M3/M4 versus...

10-17-2020, 02:12 PM   #397
jpy1980
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M3 -Smurfy Blue Vinyl

Quote:
Originally Posted by secretanchitman View Post
I can only imagine which one you're talking about!
Which one?! I’m not hip to the times. I wanna know!
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2020, 02:14 PM   #398
///M4ster Yoda
Banned
Rep
Drives: '16 F82 M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by MFNATIK View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smooth 330i View Post
sooo evrybody is chillin on the f8x island lol

you got kicked out of the new club

I am not banned yet but that section is a ghostown ... you folks got a good thread going

Personnaly I am dissapointed with the size, brakes, weight if true, dash design and the same interior layout as all other new bimmers and that obvious feature

It's been an interesting year for them. 8 series pricing and design is an issue, crap 4 and g8x, more xm and fwd models and also x8 coming woow ... it's a different company.
Is it really? That's kinda ironic if it's dead bc maybe they banned too many of us hahah. I dunno if I'm still banned but I was able to look at one of the threads that had the Chris Harris video. But at this point, I've lost interest in posting my thoughts on the G8X. The biggest irony of cancel culture is once you remove opposing ideas and opinions, you're just left with an echo chamber. Without civil discourse things just stop being interesting and people just move along. In effect, the BP mods may have squashed all the hype and mojo out of the launch, whether for better or worse.
I think there is more disgust then hype for this launch but that's just me
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2020, 02:16 PM   #399
stein_325i
Ring Leader of G8X Haters
No_Country
Rep
Drives: A Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpy1980 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by secretanchitman View Post
I can only imagine which one you're talking about!
Which one?! I'm not hip to the times. I wanna know!
The F97 X3M forum and some particular members of it... not sure if secretanchitman was thinking the same, but that forum is very annoying.
      10-17-2020, 02:21 PM   #400
Mavus
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E90 335i, F80 zcp

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smooth 330i View Post
sooo evrybody is chillin on the f8x island lol

you got kicked out of the new club

I am not banned yet but that section is a ghostown ... you folks got a good thread going

Personnaly I am dissapointed with the size, brakes, weight if true, dash design and the same interior layout as all other new bimmers and that obvious feature

It's been an interesting year for them. 8 series pricing and design is an issue, crap 4 and g8x, more xm and fwd models and also x8 coming woow ... it's a different company.
Is it really? That's kinda ironic if it's dead bc maybe they banned too many of us hahah. I dunno if I'm still banned but I was able to look at one of the threads that had the Chris Harris video. But at this point, I've lost interest in posting my thoughts on the G8X. The biggest irony of cancel culture is once you remove opposing ideas and opinions, you're just left with an echo chamber. Without civil discourse things just stop being interesting and people just move along. In effect, the BP mods may have squashed all the hype and mojo out of the launch, whether for better or worse.
yeah there are 3-4 new treads but have 5-6 responses ... sedan clan is all alone but most knowledgable folks are gone ... think they created a vacum

one guy is asking how many folks would buy a modified bumper with the bar acroos the middle and most responses are we don't want to mod major panels ... I'm like what's a big deal to swap a bumper

we had perf bumpers and panels made by bmw in the past and even m2c had cfrp hood, trunk, fenders available

sooo it seems enthusiasts and moders are not their target audience ... hope they enjoy their new customers
Appreciate 3
stein_325i25083.00
MFNATIK3498.00
      10-17-2020, 02:23 PM   #401
MFNATIK
Blocked from G80/G82 for having an opinion
United_States
Rep
Drives: Trek Domane

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanAutM3 View Post
It has indeed very little activity. I still keep going there looking interesting new discussions, but nada. I remember the F8X forum was buzzing with activity from the release on with all kinds of good discussions, speculations, technical insights, etc...
Oh yeah, I was so excited for the F80 bc I skipped the E90 M3 for an E60 M5 (who could resist that 500hp V10) and upon reading all the F80 launch info and watching the press videos, I listed my M5 for sale and started planning for ED. There was so much excitement bc Albert Biermann was doing pressors talking about how his team emobodied the spirit of the E30 M3 while engineering the F80. It was the first time in M3 history the car had gone on a diet and the chasis was stiffer than prior M3 race cars. It's also the first time an M3 got competent track ready brakes good for 25 laps on Nurburgring (100 laps for CCBs). Super overkill for a family sedan but hell yeah why the freak not?! You always want the most bang for your money and Biermann delivered! I remember so many of us lining up for allocations too.

Now I think most of us are all pretty disturbed by the change in design direction and engineering philosophy that we wonder if this is the same company that produced our beloved F80s.

BTW, I am still banned lol
Appreciate 5
stein_325i25083.00
CanAutM321116.50
Mr. Hankey1027.00
SD ///M42992.00
      10-17-2020, 02:36 PM   #402
///M4ster Yoda
Banned
Rep
Drives: '16 F82 M4

Quote:
Quote:
It has indeed very little activity. I still keep going there looking interesting new discussions, but nada. I remember the F8X forum was buzzing with activity from the release on with all kinds of good discussions, speculations, technical insights, etc...
Oh yeah, I was so excited for the F80 bc I skipped the E90 M3 for an E60 M5 (who could resist that 500hp V10) and upon reading all the F80 launch info and watching the press videos, I listed my M5 for sale and started planning for ED. There was so much excitement bc Albert Biermann was doing pressors talking about how his team emobodied the spirit of the E30 M3 while engineering the F80. It was the first time in M3 history the car had gone on a diet and the chasis was stiffer than prior M3 race cars. It's also the first time an M3 got competent track ready brakes good for 25 laps on Nurburgring (100 laps for CCBs). Super overkill for a family sedan but hell yeah why the freak not?! You always want the most bang for your money and Biermann delivered! I remember so many of us lining up for allocations too.

Now I think most of us are all pretty disturbed by the change in design direction and engineering philosophy that we wonder if this is the same company that produced our beloved F80s.

BTW, I am still banned lol
I think it's banned for "life". Seems very childish to me.

What's stopping us from creating another account and going over to the bugs bunny threads? I hate pretty much everything about the car except the seats so I guess there is really no point in going there anymore.

Been contemplating joining rennlist so I can read up and ask some questions.
Appreciate 4
CanAutM321116.50
stein_325i25083.00
MFNATIK3498.00
Mr. Hankey1027.00
      10-17-2020, 03:07 PM   #403
bimmer pleaser V2
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: C43

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9M71 View Post
first they get rid of the politics section then they start banning in the buck tooth section. smh
they were right about politics IMO. I used to post in Politics but realized how toxic it was and stopped going there altogether. A few weeks later they shut that craphole down.

But regarding people bitching about the look of new gen M3/4, I think banning is over the top though I understand that at some point whiners get exhaustive. I guess that's just a safe space for people who like the new look.
Appreciate 3
9M711233.50
minn1914034.50
MFNATIK3498.00
      10-17-2020, 04:11 PM   #404
CanAutM3
General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2021 911 turbo

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M4ster Yoda View Post
Been contemplating joining rennlist so I can read up and ask some questions.
Already done for me

Previous cars: M4cs 2019 F82 Limerock Grey / M4 2015 F82 Silverstone / M3 2008 E92 Silverstone / M3 2002 E46 Carbon Black
Appreciate 2
minn1914034.50
      10-17-2020, 04:15 PM   #405
Arcades
In The Rain
Rep
Drives: '24 GT4RS, '24 Macan GTS

Garage List
Quote:
Already done for me
Honestly, Rennlist is about as brutal when it comes to their opinions and honesty.

I do see Larry Cable there, though I am not surprised as well as a few others that username I recognize.

P.S. I see on the Supra forms about them disliking the G8x too.
      10-17-2020, 04:47 PM   #406
doug_999
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2011 1M/2021 992/2023 X3

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrussGott View Post
None of those are pros of financing:

(1.) Ownership.
Well first, whether you finance or lease, the financier owns the car so the real question is who owns the risk? With financing it's you, with leasing it's the financier. Leasing is a sole-right-of-use for a single lease payment meaning with no risk of de-value/depreciation, *but with* the SOLE RIGHT OF USE & PURCHASE. Lessees can choose to buy-out their lease at any time (and when the used market is strong many do ... like the X5 market right now where lessees are buying out and selling on the used car market).

(2.) Mods.
Because of #1, the lessee can buy out at any time and sell the car. The only reason a lessee wouldn't want to buy-out is either to save time or because the lease is underwater for the lessor - that is, the lessee almost always wins* (i.e., you can lease-mod-buy-sell if don't want to pull the mods)

(3.) Cheaper financing.
Again, because of #1, leasing has full optionality vs. financing which doesn't - meaning the lessee is negotiating the sale price of their used car 3 years in advance (residual). *If the car devalues due to accident, or the market drops, the lessee wins. If the market strengthens the lessee can buy out and sell on the open market so the lessee wins again. If a cheaper loan rate comes by the lessee can buyout and finance, the lessee wins again.

This is why it's almost always smarter to lease a BMW than finance or buy except in the case of PHEV/EVs where the incentives are easily into 5 figures (but that'll expire as soon as BMW hits the 200k in sales mark).
Disagree - and I'm not a proponent of either leasing or buying.

The main issue that I disagree with is that leasing is normally a more expensive proposition if you plan to buy the car out. You are paying interest on a residual amount and then financing the remaining. You start over with the paying at the end of the lease as you need to either come up with the buy out number or finance it.

And you have LESS flexibility because getting out of your lease early is normally an expensive thing. Yes, there are exceptions (the early X6s) and some X5s today it sounds like. But those are exceptions - a good one might be the M2 right now, I would suspect that most people who leased that car (not a smart move BTW, residual is close to 50%) could get out and make $ - but that's cause they signed on for a terrible lease. The M2 holds its value much better than 50% over three years(I think the 2016s are just hitting that).

In short, 1) rarely is a lease cheaper and 2) rarely does it provide you more "flexibility" than owning. There are LOTS of pros of leasing, especially on a highly optioned car where you are getting residual on your B&O stereo (something that would normally be worth zero on trade) - but flexibility and cost, especially if you are going to buy the car at the end of the lease are not them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CT_M3 View Post
BUT if you run a business, I’d just go lease and call it a day. The numbers change again in that case.
AGHGHG - no. Leasing is NOT always better - even if you own a business. I've run the numbers for my business over the years, sometimes it was, sometimes it was not - but it is a myth to think that just because you are going to run it through the business you should lease. That's just not true.
Appreciate 1
CanAutM321116.50
      10-17-2020, 05:44 PM   #407
PhatLyfe
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 F83 AW/SO ZCP

The sales number will bite them in the Ass, but they will make up fake number like they got caught recently and pay the fines. Nothing new but their sheer stupidity and dumb ego's.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2020, 06:36 PM   #408
GrussGott
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M4 Comp Indv

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by doug_999 View Post
As you point out it's math, not philosophy - for last 12 years over 6 vehicles leasing BMWs has always been cheaper for us. Just the the math of it.

Same with owning a home - for us, for the last 12 years, renting is *much* cheaper than owning (financing) plus we own shares of the REIT that we rent from (which have a 40% return this year!). Home loan rates are cheap right now so maybe if we planned to stay in one place for the next 20 years that could be different (but we don't).

So, really, there's no "disagree" there's only the math.
Appreciate 1
doug_9992542.50
      10-17-2020, 06:56 PM   #409
f80er
Banned
Rep
Drives: An M3

STFU already about leasing or buying it's beaten to death. Can we get back to the G8x and how fucking dead those forums are? Don't think our resident BMW cheerleader @sedan_clan can even resurrect them.

RIP before the car is even available.
Appreciate 8
      10-17-2020, 08:20 PM   #410
9M71
Major
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 M3 | 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmer pleaser V2 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by 9M71 View Post
first they get rid of the politics section then they start banning in the buck tooth section. smh
they were right about politics IMO. I used to post in Politics but realized how toxic it was and stopped going there altogether. A few weeks later they shut that craphole down.

But regarding people bitching about the look of new gen M3/4, I think banning is over the top though I understand that at some point whiners get exhaustive. I guess that's just a safe space for people who like the new look.
That is true, really weird not seeing the frequent faces in the politics section anymore in these subforums but agreed it was getting out of hand.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2020, 08:54 PM   #411
CanAutM3
General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2021 911 turbo

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by doug_999 View Post

The main issue that I disagree with is that leasing is normally a more expensive proposition if you plan to buy the car out. You are paying interest on a residual amount and then financing the remaining. You start over with the paying at the end of the lease as you need to either come up with the buy out number or finance it.

And you have LESS flexibility because getting out of your lease early is normally an expensive thing. Yes, there are exceptions (the early X6s) and some X5s today it sounds like. But those are exceptions - a good one might be the M2 right now, I would suspect that most people who leased that car (not a smart move BTW, residual is close to 50%) could get out and make $ - but that's cause they signed on for a terrible lease. The M2 holds its value much better than 50% over three years(I think the 2016s are just hitting that).

In short, 1) rarely is a lease cheaper and 2) rarely does it provide you more "flexibility" than owning. There are LOTS of pros of leasing, especially on a highly optioned car where you are getting residual on your B&O stereo (something that would normally be worth zero on trade) - but flexibility and cost, especially if you are going to buy the car at the end of the lease are not them.

AGHGHG - no. Leasing is NOT always better - even if you own a business. I've run the numbers for my business over the years, sometimes it was, sometimes it was not - but it is a myth to think that just because you are going to run it through the business you should lease. That's just not true.
Same here, I am not a proponent of either. I take what I think is the best deal. So far I've ended up purchasing all of my ///Ms. Keeping the offered lease proposals and comparing them to after I owned and sold the car, purchasing has always proven to be the better option for me.

Previous cars: M4cs 2019 F82 Limerock Grey / M4 2015 F82 Silverstone / M3 2008 E92 Silverstone / M3 2002 E46 Carbon Black
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2020, 01:50 AM   #412
BzsBimmer
Major General
Rep
Drives: '23 G80 FO M3, M3 & MY Tezzy's

I dunno... I’m starting to consider getting the AWD G80 M3 when it launches...
Bucky is starting to grown on me...

With wheels, aero, exhaust... this will be a formidable platform. Most cars will only see its rear.
It’s BMW’s Buttaface
Appreciate 1
      10-19-2020, 05:58 AM   #413
amrazM
mTekMods
United_States
Rep
Drives: like a granny.

dont speak negatively on this car, moderators on here have been flagging certain posts in an effort to silence members who have a less than loving outlook towards the g8x platform.

Name:  IMG_2122.jpg
Views: 432
Size:  286.9 KB

G-Power Supercharged
First DCT to Manual Conversion Worldwide
KW CS, BBS RI-A, BW Headers, Snow 2.5

Last edited by amrazM; 10-19-2020 at 06:03 AM..
Appreciate 1
6ixSpd6014.50
      10-19-2020, 07:15 AM   #414
Whyte_Diamonds
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80

Guess i should add my name to the list of banned posters on the G8x forums. Whats unfortunate is while i've been critical i've still voiced hope. It's not like long time members get a rise out of this. We're all passionate and frustrated of what has come out. It's sad the admins didn't give a heads up before silencing members out of nowhere. : Either way, I'd like to see this in person so i can get a better view of the car. The AWD is what i'll likely target if i can shake that grill or see something unveiled in the aftermarket for front bumpers. Time will tell.
M Performance / Active Autowerke / RKP Carbon Fiber / Vorsteiner Carbon Fiber / PSM Dynamics Carbon Fiber / DINAN Stage 3 / Evolution of Speed / Evolution Racewerks / Wagner Tuning / Supreme Power / IND Distribution
Appreciate 2
MFNATIK3498.00
F32Fleet3570.00
      10-19-2020, 07:24 AM   #415
stein_325i
Ring Leader of G8X Haters
No_Country
Rep
Drives: A Car

I saw the regular 4-series in person the other day and confirmed my opinion that it is ugly, and this is coming from someone who has liked controversial BMW's when they first came out (no waiting, specific colors or adjustments needed!) like the E60, E65LCI, E63, X3, X5, X7.

It also drives as bad as it looks.

This will haunt your dreams!
Attached Images

10-19-2020, 09:39 AM   #416
BzsBimmer
Major General
Rep
Drives: '23 G80 FO M3, M3 & MY Tezzy's

^ dunno...
Isn’t that the look these days? All the cool kids are doin it
Appreciate 2
stein_325i25083.00
Mr. Hankey1027.00
      10-19-2020, 11:06 AM   #417
Colinv6
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 M4 comp, Mexico / Opal

Quote:
Originally Posted by amrazM View Post
dont speak negatively on this car, moderators on here have been flagging certain posts in an effort to silence members who have a less than loving outlook towards the g8x platform.

Attachment 2441361
I got a 2 week ban a couple of months back from the G8x bimmerpost site. Couldn’t believe it. Never been banned or even warned from a forum in the last 15 years+ so this didn’t go down particularly well with me.

Never really posted or visited again after that. Forums are for posting your thoughts and discussions either way. I don’t like being dictated to what I can and can’t post. Just to keep the BMW management happy.

Instagram c1_cdg
Appreciate 1
6ixSpd6014.50
      10-19-2020, 11:54 AM   #418
secretanchitman
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 F82 M4 6MT

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by jstein55 View Post
I saw the regular 4-series in person the other day and confirmed my opinion that it is ugly, and this is coming from someone who has liked controversial BMW's when they first came out (no waiting, specific colors or adjustments needed!) like the E60, E65LCI, E63, X3, X5, X7.

It also drives as bad as it looks.

This will haunt your dreams!
Honestly I will probably have a nightmare about this!
Appreciate 1
stein_325i25083.00