proTUNING Freaks
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > M3 / M4 Photos and Videos

01-24-2017, 10:50 PM   #155
Paul-Bracq-BMW
Australia
Rep
Drives: 1981 323i, sports M5, LSD

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadRunner///M View Post
As an M3/M4? wow!

You just can't understand?.... to get the GC with required stiffness of M3/M4 with that massive hole from the hatch would add weight. But hey, carry on with your photoshop specials, I am sure that's how BMW do it.
First of all, we need to discuss in good faith and not insinuate stuff such as "can't understand or photoshop specials". All my statements are researched and I am proud of my photoshop work and contributions to Bimmerpost.

The 4 GC has the same weight as the 3 series and the same torsional rigidity as the 4 series: these are official BMW datas.

So in order for BMW to make an M4 GC, they would just need to do the same process to rigidify the chassis and remove weight the same way they do to make a 4 series become an M4. You can see the the process here: http://www.bmwblog.com/2013/10/19/dt...hassis-bmw-m4/

So to make a 4 series GC to an M4 GC with a similar weight to the M3 is not at all far fetched and looks to be a simple process.

In my opinion, BMW just decided not to do it, probably because they don't believe there is a market for such a car.
      01-25-2017, 01:33 AM   #156
440xiGCMsport
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Estoril Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadRunner///M
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul-Bracq-BMW View Post
Disproved again mate: the GC has the same torsional rigidity as the coupe as per BMW.
As an M3/M4? wow!

You just can't understand?.... to get the GC with required stiffness of M3/M4 with that massive hole from the hatch would add weight. But hey, carry on with your photoshop specials, I am sure that's how BMW do it.
BMW can easily build a M4 GC in the next Gen if they want to. If you think the hatch is a problem with Torsional rigidity than all BMW need to do is make it l Iike the M6.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2017, 01:57 AM   #157
Paul-Bracq-BMW
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 440xiGCMsport View Post
BMW can easily build a M4 GC in the next Gen if they want to. If you think the hatch is a problem with Torsional rigidity than all BMW need to do is make it l Iike the M6.
The hatch being a problem for torsional rigidity is NOT TRUE. The Press release from BMW states: The use of high-strength and extra-high-strength multi-phase steel as well as tailored blanks – customized precision components for specific applications – maximizes the degree of stability at an optimized weight. Crucial, stiffness-enhancing components are made of micro-alloyed steel. As a result, the BMW 4 Series Gran Coupe features torsional rigidity that matches that of the two-door model variant.

Source, BMW Press, Paragraph "Intelligent lightweight construction: reduced weight, maximum stability. ": https://www.press.bmwgroup.com/usa/a...language=en_US
      01-25-2017, 02:20 AM   #158
Paul-Bracq-BMW
Australia
Rep

Torsional rigidity.

This is a very interesting post about torsional rigidity in cars and the F80 M3 is exceptional in this regards with 40,000 Nm/deg. The F30 3 series is 29,300. There is no official information about the F32 4 Series coupe, but the press release from BMW says it is 60% more rigid than the previous generation.

http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/showthread.php?t=498405
      01-25-2017, 05:57 AM   #159
bunker
BVARIAN
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M240xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by cntzl View Post
To me, 4 series GC looks a lot bigger than 3 series, not in a good way. 4 series GC is somewhere in between a coupe and a sedan. It's neither of them. Therefore, it looks so weird to me from the rear. 6 series GC is not like this tho. I think current M3 still looks a lot better than this. But nice job with the render
+1 to all of this, including that the renders are really well done.
      01-25-2017, 06:45 AM   #160
ice31
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: x3 3.0i

Oh.my.God. I would buy this the first second it was available.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2017, 06:46 AM   #161
440xiGCMsport
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Estoril Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul-Bracq-BMW
Quote:
The hatch being a problem for torsional rigidity is NOT TRUE. The Press release from BMW states: The use of high-strength and extra-high-strength multi-phase steel as well as tailored blanks – customized precision components for specific applications – maximizes the degree of stability at an optimized weight. Crucial, stiffness-enhancing components are made of micro-alloyed steel. As a result, the BMW 4 Series Gran Coupe features torsional rigidity that matches that of the two-door model variant.

Source, BMW Press, Paragraph "Intelligent lightweight construction: reduced weight, maximum stability. ": https://www.press.bmwgroup.com/usa/a...language=en_US
thanks for the great info.
Totally agree with you about the M3 should have looked like this.
My previous car was an S4 and one of the reasons I purchased it instead of the 335i was because the Bimmer roofline was just too tall looking and it made the sedan look well like a sedan. When the 4GC came out I knew that it would be my next car because BMW made a sedan look like a coupe with the functionality of a sedan. More importantly is when you sit in the 4GC it feels less sedan like and more like a sportscar.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2017, 07:19 AM   #162
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep
Drives: 1M, X1 M Sport, E46 325ic

Quote:
Quote:
Hi. Disproved. Same weight for the 4 GC and 3 series.
missing the point mate. Your M4GC would need stiffening vs standard 4GC. This will lead to more weight added with additional supports put in place. The GC is going to lack rigidity, just as a vert does.
You are simply wrong on this. As is jmg

It's been fairly well known since the E36 days that BMWs coupes and sedans share the same specs when it comes to curb weight , rigidity, and any and all measures of performance.

BMW sedans actually have been preferred over coupes in many racing series ( see Turner BMW E36,E46,E90, F30..).

Attempting to argue that the gran coupe version of a 3/4 series is any less sporting than the coupe or sedan version is absolute folly.

The 6 series gran coupe has a CF roof and there is no reason that a CF roof wouldn't be possible on a 4 GC.

BMW has gone to a lot of effort to make sure that the coupe/sedan/gran coupe forms are nearly identical in terms of performance other than styling.

If you want to hate on the hatch styling just do so .. but Paul-Bracq-BMW is just knocking your half truth softballs out of the park.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2017, 07:28 AM   #163
Paul-Bracq-BMW
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Adjuster
Quote:
Quote:
missing the point mate. Your M4GC would need stiffening vs standard 4GC. This will lead to more weight added with additional supports put in place. The GC is going to lack rigidity, just as a vert does.

It's been fairly well known since the E36 days that BMWs coupes and sedans share the same specs when it comes to curb weight , rigidity, and any and all measures of performance.

BMW sedans actually have been preferred over coupes in many racing series ( see Turner BMW E36,E46,E90, F30..).

Attempting to argue that the gran coupe version of a 3/4 series is any less sporting than the coupe or sedan version is absolute folly.

The 6 series gran coupe has a CF roof and there is no reason that a CF roof wouldn't be possible on a 4 GC.

BMW has gone to a lot of effort to make sure that the coupe/sedan/gran coupe forms are nearly identical in terms of performance other than styling.
Actually, the 4 series (here in 440i specs) weighs 75kg less than the same specs 340i, which is the same weight as the 440i GC. the weight differential is not negligible probably due to structure reinforcements because of more openings in the 4 door... I remember reading that the F32 coupe body is less aerodynamically efficient than the F30 sedan body... therefore, one advantage offsets the other in some way...
      01-25-2017, 10:51 AM   #164
jmg
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: G82 M4C X-Drive

Garage List
2022 G82 M4C X-Drive  [9.85]
2018 F80 M3 CS  [9.87]
2019 i3 BEV  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul-Bracq-BMW
Quote:

thanks for the great info.
Totally agree with you about the M3 should have looked like this.
My previous car was an S4 and one of the reasons I purchased it instead of the 335i was because the Bimmer roofline was just too tall looking and it made the sedan look well like a sedan. When the 4GC came out I knew that it would be my next car because BMW made a sedan look like a coupe with the functionality of a sedan. More importantly is when you sit in the 4GC it feels less sedan like and more like a sportscar.
If I wanted the sports car look I would have gotten a Porsche. I wanted a sedan so I got an M3. I'm a former S4 owner myself and I'm a big fan of sporty sedans. Like the 911, the M3 has an iconic shape. It might not be as unique and identifiable as a 911, but it's certainly got a shape that is distinctly a sedan. It always has. If the M3 wants to go the fastback, sports car look then it's lost it's character IMHO. I'm sure a GC will still be a fine car, but it's not my style.

2022 G82///M4 Competition X-Drive - KW-HAS, EBC Bluestuff, Millway Race Camber Plates, Cup2 Connect*, PSI High Flow Midpipe, Lightweight Front Lip, M Perf Flow Through Wing
Previous • 2018 F80 ///M3 CS • 2016 F80 ///M3
IG: Raging_G82
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2017, 10:58 AM   #165
jmg
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
2018 F80 M3 CS  [9.87]
2019 i3 BEV  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Adjuster View Post
Quote:
Quote:

If you want to hate on the hatch styling just do so .. but Paul-Bracq-BMW is just knocking your half truth softballs out of the park.
I didn't say it was less sporting. I said I didn't like it because it doesn't fit what I think an M3/4 should look like. Other facts were speculation on why M division never made a GC and I threw out researched numbers that seem to contradict the opposing argument. When those numbers were challenged I did not press the issue. These aren't soft ball half truths, at least from me. I never asserted I came from a place of expertise and I didn't dispute the OP's counter arguments. These are the results of a dialog which is what this forum is for. Condescending remarks about soft balling and folly are counter-productive to a forum and has a motive outside the purpose of civil discussion.

2022 G82///M4 Competition X-Drive - KW-HAS, EBC Bluestuff, Millway Race Camber Plates, Cup2 Connect*, PSI High Flow Midpipe, Lightweight Front Lip, M Perf Flow Through Wing
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2017, 04:02 PM   #166
starbai
PPRSWCE
Guyana
Rep
Drives: 18 Tanzanite Blue F80 ZCP

Man I would buy an M4 Gran Coupe over an M3 any day of the week.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2017, 05:02 PM   #167
CanAutM3
General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2021 911 turbo

Garage List
Quote:
From the BMW germany website's pdf brochures.

4 Series coupe 440i model: 1615kg
4 Series gran coupe 440i model: 1690kg
3 series 340i : 1690kg

Weight was definitely not an issue...

Rigidity could have, but then again we'll never know...
This is where I got the "weight" reason (they also mention rigidity):

Quote:
Another reason is the trunk lid on the gran coupe because of the rigidity of the body and the weight, it's not that suitable for an M car.
I think I found another very plausible answer (two different sources):

Quote:
According to M sales boss Jörg Bartels, logistical issues in regards production are mainly to blame. The 4GC is built at the Dingolfing plant where no other 3 or 4 series M models are produced. The cost of bringing yet another plant online with all the complexities of M production is apparently not cheap.
Quote:
According to M GmbH head of sales Jörg Bartels, the new 4 Series Gran Coupe won't be getting the M treatment in the foreseeable future. "It was definitely considered, but there is no plan to build an M4 Gran Coupe," said Bartels. He added that an M4 Gran Coupe wouldn't make financial sense, especially due to the fact that the M3 and M4 models are already built in separate factories, and that adding another compact M car to the mix would only complicate production further.

Previous cars: M4cs 2019 F82 Limerock Grey / M4 2015 F82 Silverstone / M3 2008 E92 Silverstone / M3 2002 E46 Carbon Black

Last edited by CanAutM3; 01-25-2017 at 05:09 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2017, 05:20 PM   #168
Paul-Bracq-BMW
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanAutM3
Quote:
From the BMW germany website's pdf brochures.

4 Series coupe 440i model: 1615kg
4 Series gran coupe 440i model: 1690kg
3 series 340i : 1690kg

Weight was definitely not an issue...

Rigidity could have, but then again we'll never know...
This is where I got the "weight" reason (they also mention rigidity):

Quote:
Another reason is the trunk lid on the gran coupe because of the rigidity of the body and the weight, it's not that suitable for an M car.
I think I found another very plausible answer (two different sources):

Quote:
According to M sales boss Jörg Bartels, logistical issues in regards production are mainly to blame. The 4GC is built at the Dingolfing plant where no other 3 or 4 series M models are produced. The cost of bringing yet another plant online with all the complexities of M production is apparently not cheap.
Quote:
According to M GmbH head of sales Jörg Bartels, the new 4 Series Gran Coupe won't be getting the M treatment in the foreseeable future. "It was definitely considered, but there is no plan to build an M4 Gran Coupe," said Bartels. He added that an M4 Gran Coupe wouldn't make financial sense, especially due to the fact that the M3 and M4 models are already built in separate factories, and that adding another compact M car to the mix would only complicate production further.
it wouldn't be the 1st time they contradict themselves ;-). bulls__t talk happens all the time in interviews and people don't always say the whole truth ( an example is AWD in the next M5 that was denied for a long time, but now almost confirmed). I believe you pointed out the real reason for not producing the M4 GC: cost, and therefore less profit (or selling price too high compared to the M3).
      01-25-2017, 08:34 PM   #169
Brake_Late
Brigadier General
Norway
Rep
Drives: 2015 F82 M4 FIREORANGE2

Quote:
Updated with Carbon Roof, M Mirrors and M Wheels...

Attachment 1558256
I love mine it's definitely awesome to have the foot activated hatch and extra room the power is quite adequate especially with minor bolt on mods. The body could just stand to look like these killer renders ! Cmon Munich !
BMWPhotoVin, 01of01, GTS DCT, EPS, MDM,
CS EDC,Analog Dip ,GTS parts.
Euro Vin e30 M3, FIA cage / 14.7 p / w ratio.
Euro E30 touring G30 MSport i3s LBB X5M
3.2carrera

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UClRTsfNzuz_EjUBu59UCykA
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2017, 09:07 PM   #170
jmg
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
2018 F80 M3 CS  [9.87]
2019 i3 BEV  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brake_Late View Post
I love mine it's definitely awesome to have the foot activated hatch and extra room the power is quite adequate especially with minor bolt on mods. The body could just stand to look like these killer renders ! Cmon Munich !
All M3/4s have foot activated trunk lids btw.

Appreciate 0
      01-26-2017, 01:08 AM   #171
DCG
REBEL
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X4

Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-26-2017, 01:47 AM   #172
Paul-Bracq-BMW
Australia
Rep

Latest update with a profile view with original 440i GC, M4 GC, M3 and animated Gif showing the transformation from the 440i to M4.

Name:  2017 M4 Gran Coupe Profile Original-S.jpg
Views: 2150
Size:  925.3 KB

Name:  2017 M4 Gran Coupe Render Profile-S.jpg
Views: 2568
Size:  930.3 KB

Name:  bmw_m3_30_years_m3_Profile.jpg
Views: 935
Size:  885.7 KB

Name:  Profile.gif
Views: 1183
Size:  359.6 KB
      01-26-2017, 02:36 AM   #173
jmg
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
2018 F80 M3 CS  [9.87]
2019 i3 BEV  [0.00]
Quote:
Latest update with a profile view with original 440i GC, M4 GC, M3 and animated Gif showing the transformation from the 440i to M4.

Attachment 1563039

Attachment 1563040

Attachment 1563041

Attachment 1563042
Lol before I read your post I was thinking that the blue car was my favorite render.

Appreciate 1
      01-26-2017, 09:44 AM   #174
Paul-Bracq-BMW
Australia
Rep

Some colour variations...

Name:  2017 M4 Gran Coupe Render Profile Black.jpg
Views: 949
Size:  238.4 KB

Name:  2017 M4 Gran Coupe Render Profile Blue.jpg
Views: 903
Size:  237.4 KB

Name:  2017 M4 Gran Coupe Render Profile Purple.jpg
Views: 937
Size:  239.1 KB

Name:  2017 M4 Gran Coupe Render Profile red.jpg
Views: 878
Size:  241.0 KB

Name:  2017 M4 Gran Coupe Render Profile Taiga Green.jpg
Views: 1347
Size:  245.7 KB

Name:  2017 M4 Gran Coupe Render Profile White.jpg
Views: 889
Size:  232.9 KB
      01-28-2017, 03:47 PM   #175
Brake_Late
Brigadier General
Norway
Rep
Drives: 2015 F82 M4 FIREORANGE2

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCG View Post
lol I know
BMWPhotoVin, 01of01, GTS DCT, EPS, MDM,
CS EDC,Analog Dip ,GTS parts.
Euro Vin e30 M3, FIA cage / 14.7 p / w ratio.
Euro E30 touring G30 MSport i3s LBB X5M
3.2carrera

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UClRTsfNzuz_EjUBu59UCykA
Appreciate 0