Pandora Car Alarm System
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > DIY and Coding Discussions

09-18-2017, 05:35 PM   #1189
Almaretto
Major General
Rep
Drives: Test Vehicles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levi View Post
Just updated to the latest PSdZDATA version with the help of pmooiweer, all good so far. Coded the car and got the same message you got above. I'm gonna try it on a dark road to see if GFHB works.
Question: Is it just FLE33/34 need to be FDL coded or there are also things need to be changed in FEM_BODY AND KAFAS?
You VO code modules first and then FDL code both FLE's.
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2017, 08:56 PM   #1190
Sonic_M2c
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2020 F87N M2c

Quote:
Originally Posted by Almaretto View Post
You VO code modules first and then FDL code both FLE's.
Thanks! Just went out for a testing, all seems to work perfectly!
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2017, 02:49 AM   #1191
djMpower
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '18 SSII F82 ZCP

Hey guys, I was wondering if you could help me out with the '18 Anti-Dazzle. Many thanks so far for the work put in, especially pmooiweer and Almaretto.

I'm pretty new to coding (got my cable in a few days ago) but have managed to get everything set up and already successfully coded almost all the features I needed. I ran into an issue when trying to use your FDLCodes file pmooiweer.

No matter what I do I can't get it to recognize any of the cheats. It says none were found for this ECU on both FLE 43 and 44. I know I have it in the correct folder since other files I put in there show up in the list in the Launcher, but any time I add FDLCodes.xml it does not show up in the list, and if I rename it I can get it to show up but I run into the issue I mentioned before of cheats not being found for the ECU when trying to FDL code.

I even tried creating another custom xml file with just the FLE body cafd id and functions and no dice. Any idea what might be going on? I'm at my wits end.

Also, another strange thing I noticed is that after doing the VO coding (removing 5AP and 8S4 and coding KAFAS2, FEM_BODY, and both FLE's) some of my previous coding no longer works. Mirrors no longer fold and windows don't go up for example. Is this normal? I just hope I haven't messed anything up... Any help would be appreciated! Thanks!
      09-20-2017, 09:25 AM   #1192
audioMeth
BTC maxi
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80

djMpower

1. did you remove the .pdf file extension?
2. when you vo code an ECU it will undo the FDL coding that was previously done.

show file ext in windows 10

Last edited by audioMeth; 09-24-2017 at 10:51 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2017, 11:04 AM   #1193
Almaretto
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by djMpower View Post
Also, another strange thing I noticed is that after doing the VO coding (removing 5AP and 8S4 and coding KAFAS2, FEM_BODY, and both FLE's) some of my previous coding no longer works. Mirrors no longer fold and windows don't go up for example. Is this normal? I just hope I haven't messed anything up... Any help would be appreciated! Thanks!
VO coding resets ECU to factory values based on FA. That is why you always do it first before FDL coding.
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2017, 12:22 PM   #1194
djMpower
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuespeedgti View Post
djMpower

2. when you vo code an ECU it will undo the FDL coding that was previously done.
3. link to both fdlcodes.xml that were posted amber lights and no amber (.pdf removed)
https://mega.nz/#F!V6oFVKJQ!cA5VOe3hm6ljrxj8i_z4Xg

show file ext in windows 10
Thanks nuespeedgti.

I did in fact remove the pdf extension and was able to get the Launcher to recognize the FDL file if I renamed it. When keeping the original name I now realize it was mapping to "Default" under cheats. The issue is that when I'm trying to pull the cheats while FDL coding none are being mapped to that ECU.

I'm going to try your files in a couple of hours and post screenshots of what I see if they still don't work. Appreciate you getting those up.

One quick question, does the VO and FDL coding need to be done in the same session? That is, since I did the VO last night, can I just jump in right to FDL today or should I start from the top? I checked the VA and it looks like both option codes are still gone so I'm assuming it's a permanent change but just want to make sure.
      09-20-2017, 12:42 PM   #1195
audioMeth
BTC maxi
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Thanks nuespeedgti.

One quick question, does the VO and FDL coding need to be done in the same session? That is, since I did the VO last night, can I just jump in right to FDL today or should I start from the top? I checked the VA and it looks like both option codes are still gone so I'm assuming it's a permanent change but just want to make sure.
you do not have to do this all at once. while connected to the car i did my FA and VO coded. then while offline ran the FDL cheat, connected back to the car and fdl coded. i did it this way only to get familiar with esys. i found a helpful video on youtube that talks about offline coding.

start at 7:20

Last edited by audioMeth; 09-20-2017 at 01:05 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2017, 03:56 PM   #1196
djMpower
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuespeedgti View Post
djMpower

3. link to both fdlcodes.xml that were posted amber lights and no amber (.pdf removed)
So I just tried it again with your newly attached files and still ran into the same issues. Attaching some screenshots below. The file seems correct, Launcher is recognizing it, it has the correct CAFD ID (000024C3) but it just won't link the codes to the ECU. Is there anything I could have done when doing the VO coding that would mess it up like this?
Attached Images

09-20-2017, 04:44 PM   #1197
djMpower
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Finally got it going using a workaround. No matter what I tried it wasn't recognizing your file so I made a copy of Almaretto's file from the FDLCodes directory and modified that with your group id's and functions. When I loaded that one up it recognized the cheats and I verified all the values before coding over. Everything went through smoothly so now just have to wait until night time to test! Thanks for all the help guys.

One last question, GFHB only works when enabled using the auto high beam button on the stalk, right? I believe Almaretto mentioned that the setting to keep it on by default hasn't worked for some time?
      09-20-2017, 08:03 PM   #1198
audioMeth
BTC maxi
United_States
Rep

Quote:
One last question, GFHB only works when enabled using the auto high beam button on the stalk, right? I believe Almaretto mentioned that the setting to keep it on by default hasn't worked for some time?
This is my understanding, my car is currently in for PPF so i cant test.
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2017, 09:25 PM   #1199
MFNATIK
Blocked from G80/G82 for having an opinion
United_States
Rep
Drives: Trek Domane

You have to enable it by turning on the auto high beams via the stalk.

I used the chest codes last night and was able to update to the NGHBs and it works really and I love them. The only issue I noticed today is the Collision and Pedestrian warning systems are throwing errors and are no longer active. Did I activate or deactivate something by accident?

What can I do to restore these back to make the errors go away?
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2017, 08:54 AM   #1200
pmooiweer
Zymurgist
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M3 (F80)

Updated GFHB FLE settings

I've been working on decoding the FLE headlight settings, using some of the work others had done for the F30 last year. I've attached a spreadsheet detailing the differences between US and ECE settings for each of the environment indices, mapping the F80 light groups to each of the 10-byte lookup values.

Here's how the FLE parameters are structured:

- Each of the light groups (e.g. High Beam 1, Low Beam 2, etc) are defined in the LmmXX_Name values in Group 3006. For example, werte 01 means that it represents Low Beam 1. See the "Light Components - XRef" table in the XRef Excel worksheet for a complete list of werte/mappings.

- Each byte of the 10-byte indices in Groups 3003 and 3004, e.g. SchlechtWetter_C1_Idx, represents settings for the Lmm01_Name through Lmm10_Name light groups, e.g. the first byte refers to Lmm01_Name or High Beam 1, the second byte refers to Lmm02_Name or Low Beam 2, etc.

- The LmmXX_Name values/werte are set in Group 3006 and the US and ECE values for Lmm01_Name through Lmm10_Name are the same; i.e. US and ECE LmmXX_Names refer to the same light groups. Therefore each of the 10-byte index settings (e.g. SchlechtWetter_C1_Idx) refer to the same light group. As an example, LM01_Name werte is 04, meaning High Beam 1. See the XRef worksheet for LmmXX_Name mappings.

- The value of each byte within the 10-byte indices in Groups 3003 and 3004 is a Hexadecimal index into the LmmIDXX settings in Group 3005. For example byte value 0C (decimal value 12) sets the corresponding light group to the settings specified in Lmm12_Intensity, Lmm12_ErrorImpact, Lmm12_TimeOn, Lmm12_TimeOff, Lmm12_Priority and Lmm12_ErrorImpact.

The attached spreadsheet decodes the settings for each of the 10-byte indices, comparing US and ECE values for each of the light group settings (i.e. Intensity, ErrorImpact, TimeOn, etc). I have highlighted the ECE settings that are different from the US settings for each of the light group settings in the corresponding worksheets, e.g. worksheet Intensity shows differences between US and ECE Intensity settings by light group for each of the 10-byte indices in Groups 3003 and 3004.

Note that the first worksheet (US vs ECE Settings) contains the output of the CAFD US to ECE comparisons. Column E contains the werte for each of the parameters that need to be FDL Coded to properly enable GFHB. Column D is a copy of the factory ECE settings in column C, with highlighted cells showing the modified ECE settings to enable the orange sidemarkers to match the original US settings for Intensity and Priority (I've ignored the ErrorImpact values, which are all set to 00 for ECE light groups). The only byte changed in each of the highlighted cell is byte 4 (value 0C). You can set that byte to 00 to see the differences between US and ECE factory settings; setting it back to 0C shows the settings that are coded in the attached FDLcodes.XML file.

As you can see, the actual ECE light group settings after decoding the indices are not that different from the US settings. The primary differences are:
1. ECE settings slightly dim Low Beam 2 in poor weather conditions and in urban settings (see Intensity worksheet),
2. ECE settings have different TimeOn, TimeOff and Priority values for High Beam 1 and 2 for GFHB (Blendfreies_Fernlicht_Idx), which are important settings for proper GFHB enablement.

Obviously remove the .pdf extensions from the attachments before opening or using them. The FDLcodes.xml file should be placed in your Launcher's FDLcodes directory, enabling GFHB cheat code to be applied to both FLE [43] and FLE [44] after removing 5AP and 8S4 from your FA and VO coding FEM_BODY, KAFAS2, FLE [43] and FLE [43]. Enjoy!
Attached Images
File Type: pdf F80 GFHB FLE Coding - US to ECE.xlsx.pdf (74.5 KB, 286 views)
File Type: pdf FDLCodes.xml.pdf (9.1 KB, 229 views)
Appreciate 5
      09-21-2017, 01:13 PM   #1201
djMpower
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Thanks pmooiweer, that explains why I noticed my outer headlights get dimmer after running the cheats. I thought I had messed something up and was going to code to reset.

For those that have got it working and are marveling at the difference, is it supposed to be noticeable at all in city/freeway driving, or is it mostly useful for nighttime canyons? I only got a chance to test it in the former conditions last night and apart from seeing the highbeams flicker on and off a couple of times I noticed no light tunneling. Am I just expecting too much in-city?
      09-21-2017, 01:21 PM   #1202
Almaretto
Major General
Rep

Quote:
For those that have got it working and are marveling at the difference, is it supposed to be noticeable at all in city/freeway driving, or is it mostly useful for nighttime canyons? I only got a chance to test it in the former conditions last night and apart from seeing the highbeams flicker on and off a couple of times I noticed no light tunneling. Am I just expecting too much in-city?
VLD will show different light patterns based on speed and steering wheel direction.

Unless coded otherwise, the NGHB tunneling only occurs when you initially drive over 41 mph and then maintain over 38 mph. And, it is dependent on various factors, including ambient light as well as other vehicle light.

Limitations.
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2017, 04:23 PM   #1203
pmooiweer
Zymurgist
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Almaretto View Post
VLD will show different light patterns based on speed and steering wheel direction.

Unless coded otherwise, the NGHB tunneling only occurs when you initially drive over 41 mph and then maintain over 38 mph. And, it is dependent on various factors, including ambient light as well as other vehicle light.

Limitations.
Yup; those settings/limitations are implemented via the Schlechtwetter (bad wheather) and Stadt (urban areas) indices. The camera recognizes lamp posts and other ambient lights, and interprets highly reflective signs as urban lighting as well, including relatively small reflective street name signs, which causes the high beams to be switched off. Also, as you can see in the Blendfreies_Fernlicht index, when the system switches to GFHB it uses only one of the two high beams on each side. I believe it switches off the inner high beams (HB2) and swivels the outer high beams (HB1) to the side to create a light tunnel when following other vehicles.

All in all, I think it works fairly well, especially if you're used to using high beams primarily on dark roads, which is where the system most effectively switches between full high beams (Volles_Fernlicht), with both HB1 and HB2 at 100% intensity, to GFHB whenever it detects another vehicle.
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2017, 03:56 PM   #1204
MFNATIK
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmooiweer View Post
I've been working on decoding the FLE headlight settings, using some of the work others had done for the F30 last year. I've attached a spreadsheet detailing the differences between US and ECE settings for each of the environment indices, mapping the F80 light groups to each of the 10-byte lookup values.

Here's how the FLE parameters are structured:

- Each of the light groups (e.g. High Beam 1, Low Beam 2, etc) are defined in the LmmXX_Name values in Group 3006. For example, werte 01 means that it represents Low Beam 1. See the "Light Components - XRef" table in the XRef Excel worksheet for a complete list of werte/mappings.

- Each byte of the 10-byte indices in Groups 3003 and 3004, e.g. SchlechtWetter_C1_Idx, represents settings for the Lmm01_Name through Lmm10_Name light groups, e.g. the first byte refers to Lmm01_Name or High Beam 1, the second byte refers to Lmm02_Name or Low Beam 2, etc.

- The LmmXX_Name values/werte are set in Group 3006 and the US and ECE values for Lmm01_Name through Lmm10_Name are the same; i.e. US and ECE LmmXX_Names refer to the same light groups. Therefore each of the 10-byte index settings (e.g. SchlechtWetter_C1_Idx) refer to the same light group. As an example, LM01_Name werte is 04, meaning High Beam 1. See the XRef worksheet for LmmXX_Name mappings.

- The value of each byte within the 10-byte indices in Groups 3003 and 3004 is a Hexadecimal index into the LmmIDXX settings in Group 3005. For example byte value 0C (decimal value 12) sets the corresponding light group to the settings specified in Lmm12_Intensity, Lmm12_ErrorImpact, Lmm12_TimeOn, Lmm12_TimeOff, Lmm12_Priority and Lmm12_ErrorImpact.

The attached spreadsheet decodes the settings for each of the 10-byte indices, comparing US and ECE values for each of the light group settings (i.e. Intensity, ErrorImpact, TimeOn, etc). I have highlighted the ECE settings that are different from the US settings for each of the light group settings in the corresponding worksheets, e.g. worksheet Intensity shows differences between US and ECE Intensity settings by light group for each of the 10-byte indices in Groups 3003 and 3004.

Note that the first worksheet (US vs ECE Settings) contains the output of the CAFD US to ECE comparisons. Column E contains the werte for each of the parameters that need to be FDL Coded to properly enable GFHB. Column D is a copy of the factory ECE settings in column C, with highlighted cells showing the modified ECE settings to enable the orange sidemarkers to match the original US settings for Intensity and Priority (I've ignored the ErrorImpact values, which are all set to 00 for ECE light groups). The only byte changed in each of the highlighted cell is byte 4 (value 0C). You can set that byte to 00 to see the differences between US and ECE factory settings; setting it back to 0C shows the settings that are coded in the attached FDLcodes.XML file.

As you can see, the actual ECE light group settings after decoding the indices are not that different from the US settings. The primary differences are:
1. ECE settings slightly dim Low Beam 2 in poor weather conditions and in urban settings (see Intensity worksheet),
2. ECE settings have different TimeOn, TimeOff and Priority values for High Beam 1 and 2 for GFHB (Blendfreies_Fernlicht_Idx), which are important settings for proper GFHB enablement.

Obviously remove the .pdf extensions from the attachments before opening or using them. The FDLcodes.xml file should be placed in your Launcher's FDLcodes directory, enabling GFHB cheat code to be applied to both FLE [43] and FLE [44] after removing 5AP and 8S4 from your FA and VO coding FEM_BODY, KAFAS2, FLE [43] and FLE [43]. Enjoy!
So if I download the attached FDLCodes file you attached and loaded into my E-Sys launcher, I should be able to load your latest edit/iteration of the NGHB?
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2017, 05:52 PM   #1205
pmooiweer
Zymurgist
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MFNATIK View Post
So if I download the attached FDLCodes file you attached and loaded into my E-Sys launcher, I should be able to load your latest edit/iteration of the NGHB?
Yes, you can simply redo the FLE FDL coding. If E-Sys doesn't "see" the cheat codes, you can try removing the chassis codes from the CAFD header (i.e. the one starting with "<cafd"). I put those in to prevent messing up non-compatible cars. I know this works fine for an F80 chassis, but I'm not sure about the F82. Given that you have the same headlights, the coding should work fine. Simply delete the F080 and F082 specifications. HTH!
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2017, 06:10 PM   #1206
MFNATIK
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmooiweer View Post
Yes, you can simply redo the FLE FDL coding. If E-Sys doesn't "see" the cheat codes, you can try removing the chassis codes from the CAFD header (i.e. the one starting with "<cafd"). I put those in to prevent messing up non-compatible cars. I know this works fine for an F80 chassis, but I'm not sure about the F82. Given that you have the same headlights, the coding should work fine. Simply delete the F080 and F082 specifications. HTH!
Hmm, for some reason none of the cheat sheets load now. BTW, I have a 2017 so I don't have the latest iconic headlights. Should I use an older version. Or is the software edits the same for the older LED headlights?
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2017, 07:56 PM   #1207
djMpower
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Hmm, for some reason none of the cheat sheets load now. BTW, I have a 2017 so I don't have the latest iconic headlights. Should I use an older version. Or is the software edits the same for the older LED headlights?
If you have a MY17 the coding is different. You should reset all the ECUs that you modified (FEM_BODY, KAFAS, FLE43/44) and then VO and FDL code the correct ones. You can find the correct instructions in this document and the correct cheats as part of Almaretto's list.
      09-22-2017, 08:05 PM   #1208
MFNATIK
United_States
Rep

Quote:
If you have a MY17 the coding is different. You should reset all the ECUs that you modified (FEM_BODY, KAFAS, FLE43/44) and then VO and FDL code the correct ones. You can find the correct instructions in this document and the correct cheats as part of Almaretto's list.
Thanks, I went back and repaired my e-sys launcher and I was able to re-code using Almarettos cheat sheet. Going to test everything tonight. I was getting a little worried when the cheat sheets wouldn't load. I managed to reload my backup files and start over...whew!!
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2017, 08:08 PM   #1209
djMpower
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Thanks, I went back and repaired my e-sys launcher and I was able to re-code using Almarettos cheat sheet. Going to test everything tonight. I was getting a little worried when the cheat sheets wouldn't load. I managed to reload my backup files and start over...whew!!
Super excited for you! LSB is my favorite M color of all time btw so super jealous of your ride

Question for the thread: Is there any way to increase the LED brightness on Icon lights? I feel as though they could be brighter. Even my 435i's Xenons produced more light.
      09-22-2017, 11:53 PM   #1210
MFNATIK
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Super excited for you! LSB is my favorite M color of all time btw so super jealous of your ride

Question for the thread: Is there any way to increase the LED brightness on Icon lights? I feel as though they could be brighter. Even my 435i's Xenons produced more light.
Thanks man! Its my favorite BMW blue as well! Its got the right balance between deepness and blue/green that I prefer over a solid deep blue like Santorini (also a very beautiful blue!)

BTW, I think what you're experiencing with the LED headlights is the more white/blue color temp which I'm guessing is in the 5000K range. I believe stock xenons are 4300K which is a little more yellow and more receptive to the human eye. But again, if there is a way to increase the outputs I'm all for it too! I have 70% Crystalline windshield tint so I wouldn't mind some more output hahaha
Appreciate 0