Mo Reviews
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > BMW M3 (F80) and BMW M4 (F82) General Forum

12-13-2017, 10:43 AM   #1
Scotchtion
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2018 M4 Vert, 2021 X5 M50i

The Value of Color

I've got an F83 that is about to come off lease. I've really enjoyed the car and am thinking about just buying it outright. However, the car is Austin Yellow. While I find the color fun and befitting the personality of a convertible, I am growing tired of the constant commentary from people who do not like the color, who do not make the lease payment, yet feel entitled to give me their opinion.

I was thinking about wrapping the car to make it a little more subdued, but really don't like the finish of the wraps I've seen (plus, some wraps are even louder). So my next thought was to just repaint the car. However, a few folks have suggested that since it was the release color for the M4, I should keep it the same color.

Anyone have experience with resale of vehicles painted in the brighter colors like this? Does having a unique color help or hurt? Would repainting it a color like Azurite Black help or hurt? I wouldn't think it wouldn't matter, but I have zero experience with this sort of thing.
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2017, 10:48 AM   #2
RickFLM4
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4

I'd expect unique colors to limit the pool of potential buyers, but there will certainly be buyers.

Personally, I'd leave it as-is if you still enjoy it or return it to get another car if don't like it any longer or you are really concerned about it. I definitely would not paint it - will cost a fortune for a good job, not match factory finish and not make a lot of sense for a 3-year old car. Sounds like it is a good thing you leased and have the option to just drop it off.
lukej387.00
      12-13-2017, 11:23 AM   #3
Aaaaaaaaa
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: The other M3

Repainting, no matter how good of a job and what color, which most likely diminish the value. Wrapping is reversible and pretty good these days.
Appreciate 4
Jaymax85711.00
Draper3459.50
lukej387.00
      12-13-2017, 11:34 AM   #4
AustinGelbM4
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Austin Yellow M4

If YOU like the color then keep enjoying it.
Appreciate 3
Sedan_Clan24962.50
HotRodM4681.00
      12-13-2017, 11:52 AM   #5
Scotchtion
Private First Class
Rep

I've never met another Austin Yellow owner. Do you get the stream of comments on the color? Nothing worse than pulling up to a light with the top down, enjoying the drive and the putz in the next lane yells "nice car, hate the color". How about just stopping at 'nice car' or just keeping quiet. Jeez!

But you are right - I do love the color. I'll just turn up the radio when the comments start.
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2017, 12:48 PM   #6
Super Spartan
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2023 Nissan Z

Screw them, you like the color that's why you got it. Enjoy it and close your ears. Also about repainting your car, I would NEVER buy a wrapped or painted car. Period. If the car doesn't have the same color on the VIN, the first thing which pops into my mind is it has been into a big accident and fully repainted or had some pretty serious cosmetic damage. I have a YMB F83 but I love Austin Yellow. Very unique and pops really nice. Love what you have, others can only dream of having your car.
Appreciate 2
HotRodM4681.00
      12-13-2017, 12:57 PM   #7
325iExecutive
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2019 Mazda CX5

Keep the color. I would not mess with the factory finish. It will impact the value of the car.

People will always opinions whether asked or not. Stuff them - do what you like. If you like the color keep it.

Or you can blow off my view and repaint. Your car your decision. Whatever keeps you happy.
      12-13-2017, 01:04 PM   #8
jasnh
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 Atlantis Metallic

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotchtion View Post
I've never met another Austin Yellow owner. Do you get the stream of comments on the color? Nothing worse than pulling up to a light with the top down, enjoying the drive and the putz in the next lane yells "nice car, hate the color". How about just stopping at 'nice car' or just keeping quiet. Jeez!

But you are right - I do love the color. I'll just turn up the radio when the comments start.
As others have said, if you love the color who cares what anyone else thinks. I have an AY F80 and have never heard anything but compliments on the color....In fact I’ve had more than 1 BMW owner/driver stop me and ask where I got it painted
      12-13-2017, 01:21 PM   #9
Sassicaia
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: SMB F80 6MT

repainting is a BAD idea. AY is an awesome colour, and I guarantee the people not liking it would probably choose black, grey or white. Its an M exclusive colour and its awesome. Dont wrap or repaint it.
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2017, 01:24 PM   #10
Zayzel
IG: @Zayzel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 Atlantis Metallic M3

Please don't repaint over AY!! At the end of the day, you have to like the color. They're probably just commenting negative stuff because they're jealous anyways
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2017, 01:25 PM   #11
Sassicaia
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: SMB F80 6MT

As a side note I remember a lot of people not liking LSB when it first came out. There isn't a single M exclusive colour that I think doesn't look good.
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2017, 02:16 PM   #12
ImGoingPlaces
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: AMG GTS

Quote:

this actually happens? i find that odd.
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2017, 02:27 PM   #13
Scotchtion
Private First Class
Rep

Appreciate all the feedback. Will fully stay away from wrapping or painting. I've put up with the comments for over 3 years, so I can keep doing it. I fell in love with the color when I saw a pre-production Austin Yellow M4 at the Welt in Munich.

And yes, I get a lot of 'feedback' on the color as does my wife when she drives it. I'd say about 1/3 or a bit more is positive, but I am constantly surprised that people feel the need to tell me they don't like the color. I don't like their face, but I find the control to be polite and keep that to myself.
Appreciate 4
      12-13-2017, 02:58 PM   #14
Super Spartan
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2023 Nissan Z

Quote:
Appreciate all the feedback. Will fully stay away from wrapping or painting. I've put up with the comments for over 3 years, so I can keep doing it. I fell in love with the color when I saw a pre-production Austin Yellow M4 at the Welt in Munich.

And yes, I get a lot of 'feedback' on the color as does my wife when she drives it. I'd say about 1/3 or a bit more is positive, but I am constantly surprised that people feel the need to tell me they don't like the color. I don't like their face, but I find the control to be polite and keep that to myself.
when someone tells you that next time, tell them to buy the color THEY like and leave you the heck alone and move on. At the end of the day, IMHO what makes an M car special other than the performance and other parts that are M exclusive is the M exclusive colors, you don't see many BMWs or other cars that are AY, YMB, SO, etc. driving around, just adds to the uniqueness factor
LUX H8 189 Angel Eyes

2023 Nissan Z Performance (Ikazuchi Yellow)
Appreciate 2
HotRodM4681.00
      12-13-2017, 03:40 PM   #15
Blindside_137
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011.75 SSII E90 M3 ZCP

If you want a different color I would just get another car since you are coming off lease soon.

That said, there is A LOT of value in color. I would bet that austin yellow is the most rare color that was ordered for the M4 (don't know if someone has that information available). I'm currently keeping my eyes peeled for a red E90 M3 which is ridiculously hard. At any given moment there is only one for sale, or none (as is the case right now).

I say that because 10-15 years from now austin yellow may be highly sought after, not just because it was uncommonly ordered, but because it was also the launch color and has a lot of meaning for the M4. It is a polarizing color without a doubt, and if you are tired of trying to defend your choices to strangers then I certainly don't blame you. People feel extra eager these days to share their opinions whether good or bad, so kudos for you to not tell them their face is ugly (that made me lol).

But honestly, I would do one of the following:

1. Just get an individual color that stands out in a good way such as a red, blue, purple etc..
2. Go with a neutral color to blend in such as black/gray/silver/white.
3. Keep the car since you love it and it is a special color without the individual premium.

If I was in your shoes I would do number 1, I think it's great to stand out but the people going out of their way to tell me they didn't like something would get to me. It shouldn't, but it would. My current car is space gray and it gets compliments all the time, which is odd for a gray color, and I like that.
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2017, 04:56 PM   #16
M4RAUDR
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 16 AY M4

Quote:

I've never had a single negative comment - but LOTS of love. From all sorts of people. But the most love comes from little kids - seriously! I think it looks like something out of their Hot Wheels collection lol...

2016 AY M4 : SB Full Leather : HRE P104 20" x 9.5" Front / 11.5" Rear : Pirelli PZero Nero GT 255/30/20 Front / 305/25/20 Rear : CCBs : KW v3's : Active Autowerke Full Exhaust & DPs : ESS Silicon Charge Pipes : VF HEX Stage 2 : VF TCU : Status Gruppe Rear Diffuser : M-Perf Side Blades : M-Perf Front Lip : Reus Audio System : Painted Side Reflectors : Black Grill Surrounds : Black Side Markers
Appreciate 1
spuntyb4054.50
      12-14-2017, 02:07 AM   #17
CLABRO
THUNDER UP!
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M Sport G30

Garage List
First and foremost, as long as you like the color then that's what's most important.

In regards to painting the car, the value of the car will drop immediately if painted, and that's to be said for just about any car really. It doesn't mater if it's an official M4 color, done by the best painter in your area, etc; it will decrease the value of your car and shrink the number of people potentially interested in your car.

If you're not sure about the color going forward, take a look at all the different kinds of vehicle wraps they have available. I know it was already mentioned, but the past few years have led to some incredible vehicle wraps and colors that you used to only be able to get from OEM type paint jobs.

G30 l Alpine White l M Sport Package l Executive Tier l Icon Adaptive Full LED Headlights l Mocha Nappa Leather l Multi-Contour Seats l Drivers Assistance Package l Drivers Assistance Plus Package l Dynamic Handling Package l Parking Assistance Package l Bowers & Wilkins Diamond Surround Sound System l M Sport Brakes l Apple Carplay
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2017, 05:44 AM   #18
GOLFFRR
Rep
Drives: GOLFFRR cart

I would recommend you NOT re paint. It will def work against you if you decide to unload it later.

BEFORE YOU BUY YOUR NEXT BMW, EMAIL OUR GUY KOTE FIRST!
Kote M Sales:Kotem@bmwofcamarillo.com Cell:805-368-9101
vipfinance@bmwofcamarillo.com for warranties!
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2017, 06:00 AM   #19
spuntyb
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 F90 Competition

I'm not a fan of AY at all, but I appreciate any unique color, especially an M. F anyone who says you should change it or wrap it. It's yours.

That said, if you must, just wrap it. A re-paint will have the opposite effect on the value.

Keep it AY!!!

2019 F90 Comp MBB|Black (sold)
2018 F80 ZCP TB|SS (sold)
2015 F30 335 AW|CR (sold)
2015 F31 MG|CR (sold)
2011 E90 JB|Oyster (sold)
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2017, 06:02 AM   #20
spuntyb
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 F90 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by M4RAUDR View Post
Quote:

I've never had a single negative comment - but LOTS of love. From all sorts of people. But the most love comes from little kids - seriously! I think it looks like something out of their Hot Wheels collection lol...

It does!

http://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1350487

2019 F90 Comp MBB|Black (sold)
2018 F80 ZCP TB|SS (sold)
2015 F30 335 AW|CR (sold)
2015 F31 MG|CR (sold)
2011 E90 JB|Oyster (sold)
Appreciate 1
M4RAUDR248.00
      12-14-2017, 06:30 AM   #21
mmmmQuattro
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: f83 / E93 335 / E70 X5 40d

Garage List
Quote:
While I find the color fun and befitting the personality of a convertible, I am growing tired of the constant commentary from people who do not like the color, who do not make the lease payment, yet feel entitled to give me their opinion.
Here in conservative South Australia, I have only ever seen one AW M4 and I only saw it from a distance. I actually thought it was nicer than I expected.

There are some colours that are polarising, and AW is, in my opinion, one of them - you either like it or you hate it.
The big issue you have is that once it's off lease and you own it, when it comes time to sell, you might lose out big time; especially in a few years time, when the colour might be seen as 'what were they thinking?'

If other people's comments concern you, then change it up - get something different, or wrap it.

I had a 911 in emerald green - almost identical to this one. I found it really hard to sell and then found out that the next owner painted it guards red.
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2017, 07:58 AM   #22
Scotchtion
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M4RAUDR View Post

That is so true with the little kids. I've picked my daughter up from elementary school. All the kids go crazy for the car, but when I put the top up as I'm moving away, it truly becomes a real life transformer and they lose their minds. Its kind of fun!
Appreciate 2
M4RAUDR248.00