Autotalent
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > BMW M3 (F80) and BMW M4 (F82) General Forum

View Poll Results: What transmission will-you-get or do-you-have in your M3/M4?
6MT 1,320 53.57%
DCT 1,144 46.43%
Voters: 2464. You may not vote on this poll

04-20-2014, 04:39 PM   #287
Sir Loin
M3AT LOVER
United_States
Rep
Drives: Silverstone F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by solstice View Post
As I understand it the DCT is maintenance free unless it breaks when the whole thing is replaced to a tune of ~$14k. Not sure if that's a myth or true. Mine has needed no maintenance this far.
My 10-year-old 67K miles E46 M3 with SMGII still running great, knock on wood!
      04-20-2014, 07:14 PM   #288
Denk
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Loin View Post
My 10-year-old 67K miles E46 M3 with SMGII still running great, knock on wood!
Sweet! My first M3 was a 2006 with SMG, fun aggressively driving, a bitch around town though. No doubt, the new DCT will be sublime for those in favor. Hell, the e9x DCT was sublime to me. I can't imagine it getting any better. Looking forward to blasting it.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2014, 11:28 AM   #289
Drift Master
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

UAE 247 answer please

Why did you say that going with a DCT is a better trans for this car than a 6 MT. PLEASE let me know i am on the edge between both trans and your input will help ALLOT since you have a good experience in both
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2014, 11:35 AM   #290
tdizzle
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 F80 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drift Master View Post
Why did you say that going with a DCT is a better trans for this car than a 6 MT. PLEASE let me know i am on the edge between both trans and your input will help ALLOT since you have a good experience in both
Because dct is one of the best transmissions available? It'll shift faster than you could ever dream, allow you to leave it in full auto mode, or shift yourself with he paddles.

Only two reasons I could see for going manual, if you really want to realize the extra weight savings the manual offers and/or you just like rowing your gears all the time.

Dct outperforms manual obviously but some just like a regular manual. If you're not dieing to have that extra pedal then dct wins on every other aspect other than weighing a bit more.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2014, 11:59 AM   #291
M5Rlz
Colonel
Rep
Drives: R8, f10m59(Rip), m4, GTR

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdizzle View Post
Because dct is one of the best transmissions available? It'll shift faster than you could ever dream, allow you to leave it in full auto mode, or shift yourself with he paddles.

Only two reasons I could see for going manual, if you really want to realize the extra weight savings the manual offers and/or you just like rowing your gears all the time.

Dct outperforms manual obviously but some just like a regular manual. If you're not dieing to have that extra pedal then dct wins on every other aspect other than weighing a bit more.
^Racecar, super fast, best drivers ever buy manual. Everyone else just isn't as good or special as the manual guys
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2014, 12:00 PM   #292
Remonster
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdizzle
Quote:

I was about to argue but that's actually a good way to put it; get manual if you love to drive manual and will enjoy your car less without a manual transmission. If not, DCT is truly faultless. I love shifting my own gears but I almost wish I could live without a manual because DCT is that amazing.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2014, 12:30 PM   #293
neverbeentoofast
Private
Germany
Rep
Drives: 35i e93

i assume it is a psychological thing of what is considered "sporty" or "new tech".
In germany where 95% of the cars are manual and every kid starts with manual in drivers school, dct is simply "cool, new tech" nobody ... Or at least very, very few...would consider manual to be very sporty and buy an M with it.

Some may argue, that with manual you have a better emotional connection to the car. Well...that may be the case for some. And although it may FEEL faster, it IS not faster. Dct is simply better than 99,98% of all of us AND it is better all the time ...never beeing tired or unconcentrated, nor making stupid mistakes.

Last edited by neverbeentoofast; 04-26-2014 at 12:44 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2014, 01:13 PM   #294
left123
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: TiAg 330i 6MT ZSP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remonster
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdizzle
Quote:

I was about to argue but that's actually a good way to put it; get manual if you love to drive manual and will enjoy your car less without a manual transmission. If not, DCT is truly faultless. I love shifting my own gears but I almost wish I could live without a manual because DCT is that amazing.
Another thing to consider about manual transmissions is long term maintenance (not to mention it is $3k cheaper, hello!). It is a lot easier to service BMW manual transmission than the DCT (fluid changes predominantly). Even though BMW may state the fluid is "lifetime" if you are going to keep it past the warranty (or maintain it for people like me who can only afford it after you take the depreciation hit!) changing the fluid is an easy maintenance task.

I hear changing the DCT fluid is not so simple/cheap.

I'm obviously a hard core manual person and don't particularly care about speed of shifts, as it's really about having fun driving. The one comment above about not being concentrated is a little silly to me, as driving a car like an M3 should always take concentration (or any car for that matter). Perhaps I'm old fashioned.

To each their own, but I'll take the manual (and save the $3k!!!) all day.
      04-26-2014, 01:51 PM   #295
neverbeentoofast
Private
Germany
Rep

dont call me silly! I was referring to tired driving going home from work, for example - not falling asleep in the car...

and with a lower residual value, you are not going to save 3k. maybe 1500?
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2014, 02:19 PM   #296
hwelvaar
Major
Belgium
Rep
Drives: BMW M135i MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by neverbeentoofast View Post
In germany where 95% of the cars are manual and every kid starts with manual in drivers school, dct is simply "cool, new tech" nobody ... Or at least very, very few...would consider manual to be very sporty and buy an M with it.
What are you saying ? In Germany M buyers all take the automatic, because manual is not very sporty ?
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2014, 03:01 PM   #297
solstice
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3 6MT

My guess is that when reviews are coming in of drivers who had the chance to drive the MT and DCT back to back will be a slight preference for the MT. That is if the car really does feel as light and agile as this thread indicates.

The reason the majority of side to side reviews preferred the E92 M3 over the 1M is overwhelmingly the S65 and to a lesser extent the more confident handling. No one I can remember was asking for a DCT in the 1M.

The M5 reviews are on the opposite side were the 6MT is panned compared to the DCT.

With the F8X presumably feeling more like the 1M than the M5 or the E9X M3 I think they will love it with MT but also be very impressed with the DCT package. You can't go wrong here.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2014, 03:09 PM   #298
uae247
Second Lieutenant
United Arab Emirates
Rep
Drives: F80/E90/E30 M3s+1M+Boss 302

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drift Master
I like the DCT in this car cause the whole car is more involving than the M6.

Also,
All my other cars are manuals.

I thought that I would be disappointed with the DCT but so far am liking it.

The only gripe with DCT is moving from a start. It always feels like a person riding the clutch.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2014, 03:12 PM   #299
Rockette
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

Garage List
2012 BMW 135i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by uae247 View Post

Also,

The only gripe with DCT is moving from a start. It always feels like a person riding the clutch.
The gripe is the major one I have with my 135i, and the M3 (last generation) I drove with it as well. It's making me strongly consider the manual gearbox.
      04-26-2014, 03:28 PM   #300
ChrisK
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '19 M2C

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockette View Post
The gripe is the major one I have with my 135i, and the M3 (last generation) I drove with it as well. It's making me strongly consider the manual gearbox.
I only experience that when the DCT on my e92 M3 is cold. At temp, never.
      04-26-2014, 03:37 PM   #301
neverbeentoofast
Private
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hwelvaar View Post
What are you saying ? In Germany M buyers all take the automatic, because manual is not very sporty ?
Well - M5 e90 and F10 - were only available in the US with MT, because of lack of interest in europe. For the M3 the DCT was available from 2010 on - and some 80% ordered it - if I am correct.

hi uae247 - any comments on deactivating the exhaust noise in the neighborhood?
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2014, 03:40 PM   #302
Rockette
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

Garage List
2012 BMW 135i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisK View Post
I only experience that when the DCT on my e92 M3 is cold. At temp, never.
Even in heavy traffic? I've experienced it in both cars.
      04-26-2014, 03:58 PM   #303
IMrMark
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M4

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [9.66]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockette View Post
Even in heavy traffic? I've experienced it in both cars.
I was test driving a few different DCT the last couple weeks to just see how I liked it and felt the same kind of "eh" from start/stop/start. I may have just been psyching myself out of DCT though because deep down I'm dying for 6MT. The lady would prefer I didn't though - she wants DCT and she's a native German! The nerve!

The last comments have made me rethink though........... DCT is most definitely slick and quick. But I hate the nagging feeling about possibly getting lazy and disconnected from the feel of the car. I feel like the "extra work" keeps me in-tune more with what I'm doing. but hey that's another thread I think. not matter what our opinions... the OP is truly a king of kings.. or something like that.

Kill that last 1000km so we can start bugging you for drift videos!
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2014, 04:16 PM   #304
gmd2003
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2014 CP M6 and 2006 VT 525 Z4M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockette
Quote:
Originally Posted by uae247 View Post

Also,

That is absolutely not a problem with the newest DCT in my 2014 M6. And it's the exact same unit that's in the M3/4 so I'm surprised he ( the OP) said that . I also disagree about 500 lb feet to wheels being boring but to each his own . The CP is worlds more dynamic than the standard car .
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2014, 04:34 PM   #305
M5Rlz
Colonel
Rep
Drives: R8, f10m59(Rip), m4, GTR

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmd2003 View Post
That is absolutely not a problem with the newest DCT in my 2014 M6. And it's the exact same unit that's in the M3/4 so I'm surprised he ( the OP) said that . I also disagree about 500 lb feet to wheels being boring but to each his own . The CP is worlds more dynamic than the standard car .
Maybe 3 or 4 people here have spent considerable amount of time around the 2013+ DCT's I wouldn't expect most to get the improvements to an already great transmission .
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2014, 05:01 PM   #306
3M TAPE
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by left123 View Post
Another thing to consider about manual transmissions is long term maintenance (not to mention it is $3k cheaper, hello!). It is a lot easier to service BMW manual transmission than the DCT (fluid changes predominantly). Even though BMW may state the fluid is "lifetime" if you are going to keep it past the warranty (or maintain it for people like me who can only afford it after you take the depreciation hit!) changing the fluid is an easy maintenance task.

I hear changing the DCT fluid is not so simple/cheap.

I'm obviously a hard core manual person and don't particularly care about speed of shifts, as it's really about having fun driving. The one comment above about not being concentrated is a little silly to me, as driving a car like an M3 should always take concentration (or any car for that matter). Perhaps I'm old fashioned.

To each their own, but I'll take the manual (and save the $3k!!!) all day.
I wouldn't worry about the $3k when buying this kind of machine.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2014, 05:10 PM   #307
tomwac
First Lieutenant
Belgium
Rep
Drives: 545i/520d/320d/S1000R/E24

Quote:
Well - M5 e90 and F10 - were only available in the US with MT, because of lack of interest in europe. For the M3 the DCT was available from 2010 on - and some 80% ordered it - if I am correct.
This...In the EU everybody can drive stick, all kids start with driving manual cars, so it's not the holy grail anymore here, people are more into the new tech I guess...The dealer where mine is ordered, sold something like 5/6 M3/4's, all DCT... You can argue which transmission gives the most pleasure as it is very subjective, but you can't argue that DCT is more performant... This all MT or GTFO is getting old quickly...
But this is off topic, let's focus on what the only known F80 owner has to say more ...
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2014, 05:16 PM   #308
cipri
Q3D
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Garage List
2015 F80 M3  [0.00]
2009 E92 M3 6MT  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomwac
Quote:
This...In the EU everybody can drive stick, all kids start with driving manual cars, so it's not the holy grail anymore here, people are more into the new tech I guess...The dealer where mine is ordered, sold something like 5/6 M3/4's, all DCT... You can argue which transmission gives the most pleasure as it is very subjective, but you can't argue that DCT is more performant... This all MT or GTFO is getting old quickly...
But this is off topic, let's focus on what the only known F80 owner has to say more ...
in EU everybody drives stick?
are you serious?
Appreciate 0