Mo Reviews
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

09-22-2022, 01:31 PM   #1
pesh
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 Black M4 Convertible

Garage List
2015 M4 Convertible F83 Brake Pad & Rotor Replacement?

I recently had the brake system indicator go off in my 2015 BMW M4 Convertible. I have about 36K miles. The car is my daily driver and just a city/highway car, no track time.

When i took it to my local shop, they said i need a complete brake job - front & rear. I understand replacing pads, but rotors too?

They are wanting me to replace everything: front left and right rotors, front left and right pads, front brake sensor, rear left and right rotors, rear left and right pads, and rear brake sensor.

Does this seem right?

Also, what seems reasonable for labor to do all this? From the video's I've watched on YouTube, it seems like its about a 2 hour job?

Last edited by pesh; 09-22-2022 at 09:29 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2022, 09:31 AM   #2
melanthius
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by pesh View Post
I recently had the brake system indicator go off in my 2015 BMW M4 Convertible. I have about 36K miles. The car is my daily driver and just a city/highway car, no track time.

When i took it to my local shop, they said i need a complete brake job - front & rear. I understand replacing pads, but rotors too?

They are wanting me to replace everything: front left and right rotors, front left and right pads, front brake sensor, rear left and right rotors, rear left and right pads, and rear brake sensor.

Does this seem right?

Also, what seems reasonable for labor to do all this? From the video's I've watched on YouTube, it seems like its about a 2 hour job?
That's low mileage for pad and rotor service unless you've been driving it like you stole it.

Hard to tell with no pics though.

I suggest you take a close look at the rotors and pads yourself, it's not rocket science if they need to be replaced, there will be likely be deep grooves and score marks in the rotors and thin pads with only several mm left.

Your rotors could also have thinned out to the point of being out of spec, but again hard to imagine that on such low miles.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2022, 11:35 AM   #3
TopJimmy
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3 Comp xDrive

Smells fishy… unless someone's been tracking or canyoning. Are you the original owner?

Rotors and pads do consume each other, but I ran my 18 F80 real hard for 50K miles and only wore halfway through them.

It is possible that your sensor broke (rock?) or a mouse chewed a sensor wire (there's two sensors). The brakes are so easy to work on I suggest you remove a wheel, tap out the pad pins and remove pads, and get a look with a flashlight. If something is really worn you should see it right away.
      09-24-2022, 05:26 AM   #4
pesh
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Front and Rear Drivers Side Pictures

Here are some pictures of the front and rear driver's side rotors.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-24-2022, 07:05 AM   #5
TopJimmy
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3 Comp xDrive

You can't really tell from an outside look. Need to check with a micrometer.
      09-24-2022, 02:37 PM   #6
therealkenc
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Oxide Grey iX M60

Even with canyon driving, 36k sounds like too soon to replace both pads and rotors, unless your foot is particularly heavy on the brake pedal. My F83 just had its rear pads replaced (rotors were fine) for the first time at 58k, and this is with mostly city/highway driving but the occasional canyon fun drive. The front pads still have a lot of life left (according to iDrive, although I've heard that the number drops off a cliff without warning), but the rotors are probably due in a few months (they're developing a pretty obvious lip) so I'll get new front rotors and pads for the first time at 62k-ish.

I'd suggest going to an(other) Indy shop for a second opinion on your brakes. Dealers will likely charge an arm and a leg for almost anything you get done there.
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2022, 10:16 AM   #7
pesh
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
I've gone to three different indy shops and they all are saying replace all four rotors and pads. Each has said you should have matched pad and rotor for proper bedding so that in imperfections in current rotor doesn't cause issues with new pads.
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2022, 11:25 AM   #8
therealkenc
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Oxide Grey iX M60

My new rear pads (EBCs) match my existing rear stock rotors perfectly as they're the same shape as OEM pads. No issues at all. That's what my Indy told me, and they've held up great on a decently hard canyon drive since installation.
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2022, 01:20 PM   #9
trungnguyen28
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M3

You don't need new rotors if there's life on them. My rotors will be replaced after this pad goes, but my last brake job @ ~50k. I just did the brake pads/fluid flush.

I've been driving around for well over a year with no issues.

If you want to replace all pads/rotors/sensors, there's a guy on the marketplace that sells an OEM replacement for ~$1000 shipped.
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2022, 11:04 PM   #10
pesh
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
I ended up buying pad / rotor / sensor from FCPEuro for a reasonable price. The nice thing is they carry a lifetime warranty, so if i still own the car and need to replace the brakes in a few years, they'll be covered (minus return shipping and labor).
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2022, 02:33 AM   #11
melanthius
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by pesh View Post
I ended up buying pad / rotor / sensor from FCPEuro for a reasonable price. The nice thing is they carry a lifetime warranty, so if i still own the car and need to replace the brakes in a few years, they'll be covered (minus return shipping and labor).
There you go - peace of mind
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2022, 11:55 AM   #12
Marioec
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M3 ZCP

Steelership love to take peoples money for no reason
and when you actually don't need it . Service advisors work on commission the more they sell the more they make. I had a service advisor tell me I needed front and rear break job when I took my car for warranty work. I had actually done front pads myself 4 month prior I was like this dude thinks I'm stupid total scam .
Appreciate 0