Mo Reviews
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > BMW M3 (F80) and BMW M4 (F82) General Forum

10-16-2020, 08:42 AM   #1
f80313
Rep
Drives: BMW F80 M3

Rattle from cabin

Hi fellas, I have had downpipes for over a year, no issues. In March, I got a vrsf midpipe on stock ZCP muffler and it was all was good too. But recently, there has been a weird rattle & vibration coming from cabin/passenger area. The rattle/sound is like as if you would drive with e-brake on..(creaking /metal noise). The sound comes at low speed/gears and is random or maybe comes when car is warmed up. Please advise. It's annoying!!

Appreciate 0
      10-17-2020, 02:54 PM   #2
timhatimay
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: ///M3

Garage List
2018 BMW M3  [0.00]
2009 135i  [0.00]
Did you check the chassis brace under the car. With non-OEM midpipes, there can be reduced clearance between the pipes and brace. Maybe over time the pipes shifted or temperatures changed, which caused you to notice it only recently. On some midpipe install guides it recommends you add washers to increase the clearance.

It should be quick to check and relatively easy to fix if that's the issue.

Tim
      10-17-2020, 08:25 PM   #3
Demxsr
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 16 M4

your exhaust is vibrating against each other or against the car. This happens to me when I run the car hard and the exhaust gets really hot. The resonators on my AWE do the exact same thing once they expand from the excess heat. Only happens at idle once I come to a stop. For me, It goes away after about 30 seconds of chill driving once the system contracts a little bit.

When your exhaust was put back into position after your DP Your mid pipes are probably a little out of perfect positioning. If you go under the car sometimes you can see a little rub make on the car or exhaust to show where it is. I also had rubbing around the diff and rear linkages that I corrected, after I saw some rub marks back there.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2020, 08:19 PM   #4
f80313
Rep
Drives: BMW F80 M3

All fixed, guys! It was one of the hangers that was hitting the midpipe. Not the gasket, not the brace. The hangers.
Appreciate 0