Next Level Auto Brokers
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > BMW M3 (F80) and BMW M4 (F82) General Forum

01-17-2022, 06:47 AM   #23
Gbcarmona
Private
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by FJ_OPA80 View Post
I was in a similar boat past few weeks. Full thread on cutters. I pushed the 'ring BMW UK and threaten to give the car back for a full refund' button as soon as I heard I may be liable for costs to fix the issues I had.

It sucks but you do need to genuinely be prepared to walk away. Both BMW UK and the original dealer I got the car from then volunteered to pay the £840 for the repair my car needed.

Edit: now I have it back and it's all good!
How did you proceed?
Did you contact BMW UK straight away? Were they fast coming back to you?
Really don't know what to do...
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2022, 10:22 AM   #24
spidy512
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 f80 M3

Garage List
2015 BMW M3  [0.00]
Heya,

First, so sorry you are having to deall with this. As a fellow car nut, this sort of thing can be super stressful, as I just had to have a hit and run on my front bumper delt with. Body blemishes pain me....

If it were me, I would for sure be returning the car. I get it is your dream build, color, etc. But the repairs needed to correct the paint will be extensive, and really a big respray is in order. For me, that is the game changer. I would rather look for another, cleaner f80 than to know the cars paint was thrashed then fixed. Lots of paint matching, blending, etc. I know there are some great body shops out there that could make this look new. But for me its knowing what the car went through that would make me itchy, and never 100% like the car.

This is on top of the fact they are getting defensive and sounds like the customer service is fading. Which is a yet another big deal for me. I have zero patience for pushy managers and sales folks in ANY retail setting. You spent a giant amount of money at their establishment. They should be doing everything they can to keep your business...

Either way, good luck! This will all work out....

josh

PS This COULD be an op to wrap the car? Have the dealer pay for replacement wraps for life? HAHA!
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2022, 11:19 AM   #25
Gbcarmona
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by spidy512 View Post
Heya,

First, so sorry you are having to deall with this. As a fellow car nut, this sort of thing can be super stressful, as I just had to have a hit and run on my front bumper delt with. Body blemishes pain me....

If it were me, I would for sure be returning the car. I get it is your dream build, color, etc. But the repairs needed to correct the paint will be extensive, and really a big respray is in order. For me, that is the game changer. I would rather look for another, cleaner f80 than to know the cars paint was thrashed then fixed. Lots of paint matching, blending, etc. I know there are some great body shops out there that could make this look new. But for me its knowing what the car went through that would make me itchy, and never 100% like the car.

This is on top of the fact they are getting defensive and sounds like the customer service is fading. Which is a yet another big deal for me. I have zero patience for pushy managers and sales folks in ANY retail setting. You spent a giant amount of money at their establishment. They should be doing everything they can to keep your business...

Either way, good luck! This will all work out....

josh

PS This COULD be an op to wrap the car? Have the dealer pay for replacement wraps for life? HAHA!
UPDATE - I have now pressed a complaint with BMW UK. I went to the local dealer who I know would repair it really well and give me lifetime warranty but at a cost of 5500 pounds for full sides basically.
The Scottish dealership says he will have a word and consider but want to collect the car in a van and do it themselves. Leave me courtesy car in the meantime.
I will have t o see what they and BMW UK says and make a decision. Its really sad and annoying.
Appreciate 1
spidy512491.50
      01-17-2022, 11:52 AM   #26
khoa@x-ph.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: F83

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gbcarmona View Post
I went to the local dealer who I know would repair it really well and give me lifetime warranty but at a cost of 5500 pounds for full sides basically.
Hopefully BMW UK will do you right and cover the cost of repairs.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2022, 01:37 PM   #27
Gbcarmona
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by khoa@x-ph.com View Post
Hopefully BMW UK will do you right and cover the cost of repairs.

FURTHER UPDATE

This situation went from bad to worse. The dealership now gave me two choices:
1- keep the car has it is
2- return the car. However they are saying the car CANNOT be driven there, needs to go on a lorry that they will facilitate and deduct the cost from the refund. I would also expect them to after claim there was something wrong with the car or something.

BMW UK basically cannot do anything by the looks of it!?

I bought from a dealership thinking I would be protected and I wouldn't have these issues. How wrong was I?
Could cry!
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2022, 01:40 PM   #28
FJ_OPA80
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: F80 ZCP

Quote:
UPDATE - I have now pressed a complaint with BMW UK. I went to the local dealer who I know would repair it really well and give me lifetime warranty but at a cost of 5500 pounds for full sides basically.
The Scottish dealership says he will have a word and consider but want to collect the car in a van and do it themselves. Leave me courtesy car in the meantime.
I will have t o see what they and BMW UK says and make a decision. Its really sad and annoying.
Sorry I couldn't reply earlier. For others reading BMW UK have a free phone number you can call and answer very very quickly for complaints.

OP if the OG dealer wants to sort it themselves and give you a temp car in the meantime but will cover the cost that's the best outcome imo. Similar to what happened to me.

By involving BMW UK you are applying moderate pressure on the dealership though they will insist the dealers are independent, they can and will apply pressure as obviously too many complaints and bad PR is bad for BMW.

Good luck OP. Remember you have 30d from day of purchase to reject the vehicle. Be prepared to use that right if they are not doing right by you. I know it sucks and you want to keep the car, but there are others out there

Edit: I replied whilst you were writing another reply

Reject it - contact BMW UK complaints again and say you're rejecting the car and you don't want to pay for transport costs. See if they can help on that front

I don't know the legality here when it comes to transporting the vehicle back to base but so far as I know car transport isn't as expensive as you might think.

I would also suggest seeing if any of the original videos and photos from the dealer and/or the AUC website show the issue at all. Have that info ready just incase you ever need it?
Appreciate 1
spidy512491.50
      01-17-2022, 01:47 PM   #29
FJ_OPA80
Enlisted Member
Rep

Also see here https://www.thecarexpert.co.uk/rejec...cle%20yourself.

"You are entitled to a full refund by the same method in which you paid for the car. The dealer cannot charge for usage, wear and tear, collection of the vehicle or anything else.

It is the dealer’s obligation to collect the vehicle, unless your sales contract includes a clause obliging you to return the car. You only have to make sure the car is available to collect.

Be reasonable about this and work with the dealer if you want to get your money back with minimal fuss. Make their lives difficult and you can be sure they will return the favour"
Appreciate 2
      01-17-2022, 03:45 PM   #30
Gbcarmona
Private
Rep

Quote:
Also see here https://www.thecarexpert.co.uk/rejec...cle%20yourself.

"You are entitled to a full refund by the same method in which you paid for the car. The dealer cannot charge for usage, wear and tear, collection of the vehicle or anything else.

It is the dealer’s obligation to collect the vehicle, unless your sales contract includes a clause obliging you to return the car. You only have to make sure the car is available to collect.

Be reasonable about this and work with the dealer if you want to get your money back with minimal fuss. Make their lives difficult and you can be sure they will return the favour"
Yes, I’ve seen all of that. The issue is that previously I lost my trust that they would even collect the car before my 14days period and even before the 30 days…which is why I was advised to involve BMW U.K…however I think BMW U.K. cannot do anything and got to “the end of the road”…and now they are saying that because I basically drove the car from the dealership knowing about the issue that I can only reject the car but will have to pay for it. Quotes of around £400…but then I also think they will cause me more issues, maybe claiming damages I will have to repair, keep my money for a long time, etc…let’s not forget the car for them will straight away be worth less since it has now another registered owner…so they will cause me issues.
I know a few good independent bodywork places where they can spray the car well and probably for around 1K…it feels like that is the safer solution for me now!
Will contact the trading standards and The Motor Ombudsman tomorrow to see if they can find a solution. Really sad…lesson, never buy a car too far away and don’t assume just because you buy from BMW you will be protected or treated professionally!
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2022, 04:04 PM   #31
NSX2M4
Major
Rep
Drives: 2019 M4 ZCP- RIVIAN R1S QUAD

I have to ask, does the vehicle have wheel spacers? If so, correct the issues with the paint and take them TF off.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2022, 05:02 PM   #32
bigj505
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by NSX2M4 View Post
I have to ask, does the vehicle have wheel spacers? If so, correct the issues with the paint and take them TF off.
Solves nothing
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2022, 07:58 PM   #33
FJ_OPA80
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Yes, I’ve seen all of that. The issue is that previously I lost my trust that they would even collect the car before my 14days period and even before the 30 days…which is why I was advised to involve BMW U.K…however I think BMW U.K. cannot do anything and got to “the end of the road”…and now they are saying that because I basically drove the car from the dealership knowing about the issue that I can only reject the car but will have to pay for it. Quotes of around £400…but then I also think they will cause me more issues, maybe claiming damages I will have to repair, keep my money for a long time, etc…let’s not forget the car for them will straight away be worth less since it has now another registered owner…so they will cause me issues.
I know a few good independent bodywork places where they can spray the car well and probably for around 1K…it feels like that is the safer solution for me now!
Will contact the trading standards and The Motor Ombudsman tomorrow to see if they can find a solution. Really sad…lesson, never buy a car too far away and don’t assume just because you buy from BMW you will be protected or treated professionally!
I would expect if you request the refund within 14d doesn't matter if they collect in that timeframe, surely? If the contract states you have to pay for transport costs in event of a return, I would also expect they cannot fabricate other issues as a means of revenge. Ultimately they sold the vehicle either knowing it had a significant defect or without thoroughly checking it over.

May be worth utilising any legal advice you can get I guess.

Has the dealer formally accepted your rejection and the reason why? If you knew the areas had damage when you left but you didn't review it closely in the dealership they may well have you on that technicality
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2022, 02:12 AM   #34
Gbcarmona
Private
Rep

Quote:
I would expect if you request the refund within 14d doesn't matter if they collect in that timeframe, surely? If the contract states you have to pay for transport costs in event of a return, I would also expect they cannot fabricate other issues as a means of revenge. Ultimately they sold the vehicle either knowing it had a significant defect or without thoroughly checking it over.

May be worth utilising any legal advice you can get I guess.

Has the dealer formally accepted your rejection and the reason why? If you knew the areas had damage when you left but you didn't review it closely in the dealership they may well have you on that technicality
I understand what you are saying but I’m not willing to take that risk because these people are now pissed off and are obviously scam artists. A quick Google search on John Clark Tayside Dundee reviews, reveals loads and loads of bad reviews and customer negative feedback on the Facebook and TrustPilot…someone dated Sept 21 had the exact same experience…travelled far away for a car that was supposed to be spotless, got there and it wasn’t but was told “take it, let us know the cost to fix it, and we will pay”…yes, looking at it, it’s very naive, but you are exited to take your new car, you trust the brand and people who you have been dealing with.
My only alternative is to keep the car, repair it but still try to expose them as much as possible or send the car back (a car that I ultimately want) and lose money, potentially even more and they retain my money for a long time!

The most annoying thing is the fact that BMW can’t really do anything about this…might be my last BMW!
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2022, 07:08 AM   #35
FJ_OPA80
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
I understand what you are saying but I’m not willing to take that risk because these people are now pissed off and are obviously scam artists. A quick Google search on John Clark Tayside Dundee reviews, reveals loads and loads of bad reviews and customer negative feedback on the Facebook and TrustPilot…someone dated Sept 21 had the exact same experience…travelled far away for a car that was supposed to be spotless, got there and it wasn’t but was told “take it, let us know the cost to fix it, and we will pay”…yes, looking at it, it’s very naive, but you are exited to take your new car, you trust the brand and people who you have been dealing with.
My only alternative is to keep the car, repair it but still try to expose them as much as possible or send the car back (a car that I ultimately want) and lose money, potentially even more and they retain my money for a long time!

The most annoying thing is the fact that BMW can’t really do anything about this…might be my last BMW!
Trust me I know how you feel - the excitement around keeping it does take over. I'm lucky, I test drove mine before paying any money and had good opportunity to look round it to point out paint defects which they sorted, before I paid anything

Ultimately your choice as to what to do - if they've formally accepted your rejection then i don't think they can change their mind and retroactively charge you for other bits but I dont know that for sure. Sales Contract may have more info in on that.

For what little it's worth I've checked back to the AUC photos I have stored of mine from the website and I would not be able to tell from there whether mine had the same level of stone chips.

If you keep it - welcome aboard, be interesting to know how you get on sorting it out. Fully no idea what caused the issue, like others said maybe someone with ridiculous spacers driving fast on dirt trails or something?!
If you don't - all the best finding another one
      01-18-2022, 09:25 AM   #36
nickl630
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 18 M3CS, 09 GTR

First, OP im sorry this is happening, that's got to be a terrible feeling.

Second, is anyone else surprised that BMW is even entertaining this as a return? Im guessing this is a UK law? BMW USA would tell you "you should have inspected the car better at pickup" on any used car with 30k miles.

I would lean towards returning it. As others have stated, to get that sheer amount of damage on the paint is worrying. Wonder if it was tracked often, or just driven on snow/gravel a bunch. Hope it works out for you OP.
      01-18-2022, 12:31 PM   #37
icebiker
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 F83 6MT

OP sorry about this bad experience. Couple of thoughts here if you are leaning towards keeping it:

-any chance you and the dealer can agree to splitting the cost of repainting? You are clearly enamored with the car and this compromise would not "waste" the time effort and money you've already sunk into the process ( train, etc).

-be sure to put it on a lift and see if there is any other damage ( eg differential, exhaust, etc). Whatever caused the extensive paint chips could also have affected the undercarriage. If it's bad, then this could go beyond the cosmetic issues you've already noticed and could swing your decision towards retuning it.

Good luck!
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2022, 02:34 PM   #38
Gbcarmona
Private
Rep

Thanks guys…so the update is that this morning after a heartfelt email they told me I could return the car at my own expense or give me £500 as a good will gesture…then asked me to get some quotes. 2 of them came at £1500 (one of the garages has really good reputation is restorations of classic cars, etc), another came in at 3000 and the main BMW dealer at 5500! They offered to give me £1000 (updated amount offered)…I’m trying to convince them to go 1k ideally. I do love the car and before the sale they offered a £500 reduction (on a car that had just been reduced recently)…ultimately I really love the car, for the extras it has but mainly the colour combo which is rare, at least in U.K.! Just want to get this out of the way and start enjoying the car and later do a couple of mods I want (mainly carbon mirror caps and rear diffuser…maybe CF boot spoiler)

I’ve been told that stone chips of that kind are common on cars from Scotland since they use grit more often, etc. A guy I talk to from a dealer told me he had problems like these before on Scottish cars.

Also tomorrow I’m taking the car the the main dealer for a full inspection and mainly on the brakes…the discs seem in good condition (the rear ones were replaced not so long ago), pads according to idrive have loads of miles left, but the brakes squeak and squeal and also make some rough noises sometimes…might be normal, might not, might be because the car has been sat for a few months and the pads are glazed a bit!? But since the car has warranty I want them to give a thorough check.

Last edited by Gbcarmona; 01-19-2022 at 04:45 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2022, 03:08 PM   #39
Gbcarmona
Private
Rep

FURTHER UPDATE- the saga continues…
Just when I thought the paint-gate was coming to and end, they were going to give me a good contribution and I could see the light at the end of the tunnel, that tunnel just turned around…so took the car to get the brakes inspected…they were making all sorts of noises…apparently they just need to be stripped and cleaned since they might have been sat for a while…but…
…two broken springs on the rear and a buckled alloy…on a car that was supposed to pass MOT a week ago / 300 miles…and they had the cheek to suggest I could have been very unlucky and that happened during this week, etc!?

On a positive note (need to be a half-glass-full type of person) the car has now had a full check and it’s good otherwise…and to sort those out is not too expensive…I’m going to try to repair the alloy rather than a new one straight away and hopefully the dealership will also come forward on this besides the paintwork! Seriously…my dream car has been nothing but a nightmare. (The BMW guy actually said that probably any second hand car will have a buckled alloy wheel anyway…especially 20’s…as long as it doesn’t vibrate too much and you can them them balanced)…just pray for me…lol
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2022, 04:27 PM   #40
FJ_OPA80
Enlisted Member
Rep

Fwiw none of my 666's on a car with 28k are buckled, warped or kerbed in any way at all.

As long as you're content sorting these bits out, that's all that matters. It's a month of stress and expense followed by years of happy ownership. This time next year you won't be bothered by this shit at all I'm sure
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2022, 04:35 PM   #41
Gbcarmona
Private
Rep

Quote:
Fwiw none of my 666's on a car with 28k are buckled, warped or kerbed in any way at all.

As long as you're content sorting these bits out, that's all that matters. It's a month of stress and expense followed by years of happy ownership. This time next year you won't be bothered by this shit at all I'm sure
At this stage of the game, it’s better the devil you know than the one you don’t!
I’ll have to see what happens tomorrow if the dealership comes forward with what we have agreed…contribution for the paintwork repair and sort out these mechanical things. Would prefer to get these all sorted and keep the car rather than reject it…not sure anyone would win with that outcome now!
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2022, 07:43 PM   #42
bigj505
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW M4

I would take issue with the springs and the wheels but if it were my dream car then i wouldn't worry too too much considering I would be lowering my car with new springs and probably wheels so I could spin it as I was going to upgrade anyways. My main gripe would be the paint issue which it seems like they could be paying a decent amount towards the 1500 repair.

I purchased my BSM M4 a few months ago and had to deal with short term pain myself but I've been as happy as can be once I got pass the issues.

1. My 437 wheels had run flats installed. The 2nd day of ownership and I had a low pressure light. Bmw Charged the dealer $400 for a new rear tire citing a failed sidewall which was a lie. The new tire had the same issue. My dealer dodged my messages for a week until I threatened to go there in person (70 mile trip 1 way). The issue ended up being the 275 run flats are stretched too much and would only maintain the seal if I overinflated a bit. Issue took me weeks of back and forward and had me feeling like poooooop.

Additionally, BMW scratched my rim when putting it on the lift and the dealer scratched my wheels along the edges when "remounting" them so I was in shambles. I ended up saying forget it and purchasing some HREs I was eyeing to completely get over the issue.

2. A couple of dents I didn't see when I got the car cost me $250.

The dents didn't bother me too much but the whole wheel ordeal killed my vibe for a bit.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2022, 12:24 AM   #43
dezzracer
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 CS

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by dezzracer View Post
Worst peppered car I've ever seen. Surprised you did not see it and refuse the car and eat the travel cost. Unless I'm misunderstanding something, if you visually inspected then sign papers and drove away I think you're screwed. If you love the car have it painted or wrapped. Since you love the current color, the under hood, inside doors, trunk etc will already match and be in good condition and roof is carbon so no paint needed saving you money.
Imagine travelling for 6 hours on a train to get your dream car that someone says its all in great condition, then I see the wheel arches but im assured I can take it and send a quote from the local guys to get sorted...im dealing with BMW not someone around the corner...naive I know now!
The ones along the doors and cills, you will be surprised how close you have to look and "under" almost to notice from close even, because of the angles.

ive called and said I was rejecting it...manager calls me with an attitude and saying a few lies "we never told you we would pay, we told you about these issues, we mention them on the presentation video (clearly not as I show him, etc etc)...quite aggressive and negative...the trust is lost now...but they have offered to collect the car in a van drive 300 miles to them and re-spray it and send it back...my worry is where will that be even done now? Can I trust it? Will it have lifetime warranty, I asked? he wouldn't commit to it.

Ive also said I would ask the local BMW for a quote and send it to them, which I know the job would be well done and sorted because they are reputable.

Not sure what to do?
Still reject and look at another (seen some in silver which are good spec and price but not really my favourite colours to be honest), send it to them and hope for the best, or contact BMW UK and hope they can make the car be resolved here in Sheffield...I don't know how good, or fast BMW UK customer service is even?
In that case I would personally would take them up on the respray offer . Just let them know that this is a big purchase for you, it's your dream car, and you expect it to look factory fresh when they're finished. Make it clear what your expectations are. Yes, I would take the chance on that especially since they're picking the car up in an enclosed vehicle as well.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2022, 12:38 AM   #44
dezzracer
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 CS

Two Broken springs? You mean rear suspension? . I would be wondering what this car has been through.
Appreciate 1
spidy512491.50