ARMA SPEED
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning

01-05-2016, 10:43 AM   #1
RocketBoots
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Horse Drawn Carriage

Installed my Ultimate Clutch Pedal

I didn’t see much feedback on this, so I thought I’d share my experiences. First off, let me say that I didn’t think the OEM clutch pedal was too bad. It doesn't have much ‘slop’ or play, as the car is pretty new, and while it’s a soft clutch (compared to older 911’s, E36/E46 M’s), it had pretty decent feel. It does have a fair bit of travel though, and the engagement point is a little far from the firewall. I’ve never done a clutch pedal mod, and wasn’t unhappy with the OEM. If you’ve never heard of the Ultimate Clutch Pedal, it’s a replacement clutch pedal made of billet aluminum, with solid bronze bushings, a different shape, and a 15mm lower resting position, and claims to eliminate all “slop” and provide “shorter throws, quicker shifts, sportier feel”. More feel is good, so I figured what the hell, I’ll give it a try.
UCP provided nice install instructions, and the whole thing was fairly simple, except for ONE thing (I’ll get to that later). First, you have to remove the lower dash trim panel. Two nuts (10mm, I believe), and it just pops off from the clips. You don’t have to touch the airbag.

The OEM clutch, with the over-center spring.

The OEM shoulder bolt that connects to the clutch master cylinder.

OEM bolts removed, to be replaced by UCP hardware provided.

OEM clutch pedal vs UCP.

Notice the much more pronounced ‘S’ shape of the OEM vs the more straight direct line of the UCP, as well as the plastic bushing of the OEM vs the bronze bushing. You can’t tell from the pictures, but the UCP has a good amount more heft to it than the plastic OEM, even though the UCP is made out of aluminum. The UCP felt very solid.

Now, up to this point, the install was going well. Then, this little thing almost made me say screw it and put the OEM back.

It’s the over-center spring. The purpose of this spring is to “help make the second half of the clutch pedal travel easier – this is a good thing in traffic. It also helps return the pedal to its resting location. The problem with the over-center spring is that it takes away a lot of the feel of the clutch, it makes it a bit tricky to shift smoothly when driving slowly and can slow down the shifting when driving “aggressively”” The E9X guys debate on the usefulness of this spring, and some removed it altogether. But one problem, if you remove it, is that it seemed to create more play or ‘slop’ with the clutch. In our newer model F8X’s, this spring actually consists of two springs, a spring inside a spring. I wanted to retain this spring, and if you follow the instructions, there is no F*CKIN way you’re getting it back in, I don’t care how strong you are. SO, my tip: You have to remove the upper shoulder bolt, the one that connects to the clutch master cylinder, so that the clutch pedal can be moved towards the driver’s seat, not the firewall, to put the over-center spring in place. This is me going back in, with the allen wrench and socket wrench to remove the bolt.

The real tip, if you don't want to do double work, is this: Connect the over-center spring to the UCP first, then do the clutch master cylinder bolt. I know this is too technical and makes absolutely no sense, but if you do this mod, you will know exactly what I’m talking about.

Hard to tell from the pics, but the clutch pedal does seem to sit a little lower. The UCP kit also comes with a clutch stop, which must be installed.

So, does it live up to it’s claims? Is it worth doing? Absolutely. As I mentioned before, I didn't feel the OEM clutch had much 'slop' in the first place, but the UCP eliminates what little 'slop' or play it had. The pedal itself feels much more solid. The 15mm lower resting position, while seemingly insignificant, is very noticeable with your foot and leg; with less leg lift needed. There is much less pedal travel, both before and after the engagement point. I put the over-center spring on the middle location, and I really like the feel. I'd say the biggest improvement is in the shifting. The UCP allows me to shift way more smoothly, especially in sport+. I'm not sure if it's because of the more linear feel, less travel distance, solidness of the pedal, better ergonomics for moving your left foot/ankle, or just catering to my muscle memory of what a clutch should feel like, but I'd say it does everything it claims. Smooth is fast. Now, I was a little wary of the clutch stop. I tried the BMS one, and while it seemed good at first, I removed it after a little while because for some reason it made me shift much less smooth, and I didn't like the mushy feel it had compared to OEM. The UCP clutch stop gave me no issues and felt very solid. I regret I waited one year to try this mod. It's worth every penny. The UCP was originally developed by racers. Maybe that's why it suits me so well, cuz I'm really a race car driver... or I'm super bad and need all the help I can get Let me know if you have any questions.

Last edited by RocketBoots; 02-17-2016 at 09:55 AM..
Appreciate 15
Draper3454.00
FR00ZN24.50
AndrewC198910903.50
ryanb0655.00
kern4174442.00
///M Houbi1653.00
Abe71Z1.50
david51537.50
      01-05-2016, 11:52 AM   #2
Savory
Kaskasero
Rep
Drives: You Insane

My main complaint test driving the F80 was the super light clutch. Does this add more heft to the pedal?
2001 E39 M5
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2016, 01:23 PM   #3
RocketBoots
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Definitely. IMO the "lightness" of the clutch partly comes from the springs. The UCP has 3 settings for the spring. I think they refer to it as stock, sport, race, with race being the most stiff. I have mine on the middle setting. You can also remove one of the springs, or both. But that does allow the clutch pedal a little more play.
Appreciate 1
      01-05-2016, 02:03 PM   #4
TurboAL47
Colonel
Philippines
Rep
Drives: M4 / X5

Garage List
great write up. i've had to deal with that stupid spring on my e92 and needed to bring it to my friend's shop to get it back on even though i was always so close to lining everything up while being upside down and on my back on the floor mats.

i wish i could "test drive" this pedal to experience what you are describing which all sounds really positive. i would definitely have to pay someone to install this for me as i know i'd get frustrated with that spring again. got me thinking.

'22 G82 M4 - Individual Marina Bay Blue 6MT | MBB G82 Ongoing Build Thread
'21 AW G05 X5 xDrive40i MSport

'15 SS/SO F82 - M4 - SOLD| Industry City Shoot
'08 AW E92 - 335xi - SOLD[/b] | Mods and Photoshoot
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2016, 02:05 PM   #5
vonmayr
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3

Garage List
Thanks for sharing. This was on my "mod list" - it just moved to the top. Appreciate the pix and the pro tip on the over center spring.
Best Regards, Robert (BMWCCA #471893)
Loreley 2015 / //M3 6MT SO over full SO, Exec,Susp & Lighting, HK & Blk 19's - ED 15 May 2015, Redelivery 23 July 2015
My photography: WWW.PBASE.COM/VONMAYR
My ED Adventure http://www.vonmayredadventure.blogspot.com
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2016, 03:51 PM   #6
RocketBoots
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Yeah, that motorfrackin spring. I was so close, for so long. I just couldn't get the pin in that secures it in the hole. The tolerances are just too tight; there is no wiggle room. It doesn't help that you are upside down sideways, with poor lighting, and not enough hands, in a space that is too tight for anybody else to help. When you are able to tilt the pedal towards the steering wheel, the spring has NO tension on it, so the pin slides in easily.

Other than this, it really is pretty straightforward. I think you could do it in 30-60 mins easy. Removing the C and E clips, which I thought would be a PITA, was actually not bad. I got it on the first or second try.

I don't want to over-hype the UCP, but it made a noticeable difference for me.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2016, 08:51 PM   #7
TPG Tuning
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 / F82 M4

Great write up! I think this could be a good investment. The stock pedal feel is good but I do feel the travel is a bit much and in sport + it's tough to pull out some times.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2016, 09:05 PM   #8
RocketBoots
Colonel
United_States
Rep

I don't have to be deliberate in sport+ any more. In fact, I don't really even think about it; it's pretty natural, and very smooth
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2016, 09:07 PM   #9
SROC3
The limit of adhesion is my home.
United_States
Rep
Drives: Like a Boss.

This was supposed to be an instant mod for me, together with the UUC shifter. I delayed both for other reasons but now I'm pretty used to the cars shifting....not sure if it's worth the $500 mod. I'm also shorter than most so my leg travel isn't something I'd want to increase as I already sit pretty close to the wheel to begin with (habit, as I like my arms to be bent comfortably for quick turning movements when I drive in Le Mans....) I feel like if I do this mod I'll have to sit closer to the wheel and move my seat a couple of clicks forward.
      01-06-2016, 09:33 AM   #10
RocketBoots
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SROC3 View Post
I feel like if I do this mod I'll have to sit closer to the wheel and move my seat a couple of clicks forward.
Quite the opposite for me. Because I have to lift my leg less, and some of the clutch travel after the engagement point has been removed, I feel like I can actually sit a click or two farther back, which was a good thing, as I like to sit fairly upright. For full disclosure's sake, I'm one of those guys who pretty much always depresses the clutch all the way to the clutch stop; it's just how I learned.
Appreciate 1
      01-06-2016, 03:57 PM   #11
SROC3
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketBoots View Post
Quite the opposite for me. Because I have to lift my leg less, and some of the clutch travel after the engagement point has been removed, I feel like I can actually sit a click or two farther back, which was a good thing, as I like to sit fairly upright. For full disclosure's sake, I'm one of those guys who pretty much always depresses the clutch all the way to the clutch stop; it's just how I learned.
Awesome man thanks for the feedback
      01-06-2016, 04:10 PM   #12
Warranty P
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: F83

DCT > all the issues or whatever above.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2016, 09:09 PM   #13
SROC3
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warranty P View Post
DCT > all the issues or whatever above.
No way. I love "rowing" hahahaha! Seeking that feeling of shifting perfection is part of the fun! I had a DCT m3 before, I know what it's like....I got bored. It is, however, an amazing transmission. Smooth as silk and fast as a rabbit.
      01-07-2016, 12:55 PM   #14
Warranty P
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: F83

Quote:
No way. I love "rowing" hahahaha! Seeking that feeling of shifting perfection is part of the fun! I had a DCT m3 before, I know what it's like....I got bored. It is, however, an amazing transmission. Smooth as silk and fast as a rabbit.
I'm the opposite, my last few cars were manuals including last gen M3 which BTW had the worst manual I had. Then I tried DCT with my current car and I will never again buy manual. In my mind you must be crazy to choose BMW shit manual over DCT. I also understand all those die hard manual guys...bla blah blah.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2016, 10:27 PM   #15
SROC3
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warranty P View Post
I'm the opposite, my last few cars were manuals including last gen M3 which BTW had the worst manual I had. Then I tried DCT with my current car and I will never again buy manual. In my mind you must be crazy to choose BMW shit manual over DCT. I also understand all those die hard manual guys...bla blah blah.
Oh I agree - my E92 manual was seriously lacking but this version, while not perfectly at S2000 standards, is pretty nice. I think the clutch pedal mod will make it as good as it can get. And again - DCT rocks.....but I got bored
      01-14-2016, 12:27 PM   #16
rubber_ducky
Colonel
Rep
Drives: roach coach

Thanks for the write-up OP. Wondering if you tried any of the other spring positions or did you decide on the middle position ahead of time.

This item has been on my wish list for a while now, but a lack of user reviews has kept me from pulling the trigger
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2016, 12:31 PM   #17
rubber_ducky
Colonel
Rep
Drives: roach coach

Quote:
Oh I agree - my E92 manual was seriously lacking but this version, while not perfectly at S2000 standards, is pretty nice. I think the clutch pedal mod will make it as good as it can get. And again - DCT rocks.....but I got bored
I agree with you. The Cayman S that I had before my F80 had a PDK and while it certainly had its strengths, in hindsight, I wouldn't have checked that option box if I had the opportunity to do it again. I was thrilled to be able have a MT in a 430hp sedan.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2016, 02:37 PM   #18
RocketBoots
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I think the clutch pedal mod will make it as good as it can get.
I think a proper SSK might make it as good as it gets. I'm hesitant to get the UUC or the Shifteck because they both seem to lean a little to the right in the neutral position, unlike OEM. Not sure why they can't fix that... if they did, I'd get one. It won't be a CAE, but it will look a lot better

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubber_ducky View Post
Thanks for the write-up OP. Wondering if you tried any of the other spring positions or did you decide on the middle position ahead of time.

This item has been on my wish list for a while now, but a lack of user reviews has kept me from pulling the trigger
I have only tried the middle position. I was planning to try the others, but I've been too lazy to go back in and remove all the way up to the master cylinder bolt. I'm happy with the stiffness/feel of it, so I'm not super motivated. I also didn't find too many user reviews; it's one of the main reasons I wrote something up. I just decided to take the plunge, not expecting very much. It's not a $4000 mod, so even if it sucked, the cost wasn't really a factor. I was very pleasantly surprised, and wanted to let others know this thing is pretty good
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2016, 02:26 PM   #19
PeteX-
Rep
Drives: '15 M3 (6MT, MG/SS)

I just installed my UCP, and am thankful for your advice about springs before master cylinder! Both went fairly easily. I had a heckuva time with a module on the left (more specifically its plastic mount) that kept me from removing the old clutch for the longest time. I have some pics and will do a writeup soon. I dropped a note to Tom @ EAS and want to get his feedback first.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2016, 06:18 PM   #20
RocketBoots
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteX- View Post
I just installed my UCP, and am thankful for your advice about springs before master cylinder! Both went fairly easily. I had a heckuva time with a module on the left (more specifically its plastic mount) that kept me from removing the old clutch for the longest time. I have some pics and will do a writeup soon. I dropped a note to Tom @ EAS and want to get his feedback first.
Glad to be of help. Still lovin mine
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2016, 11:32 PM   #21
SROC3
United_States
Rep

Mine rocks as well......I have to say - ToTOaLLy worth the mod.

02-12-2016, 11:07 AM   #22
Jeffe
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C 6MT

Thanks for the write up OP. I'm in the midst of purchasing this right now after reading this. I'll post my experiences later once I install

Previous:
2018 Mini Cooper S (F56) (grey/black)6MT
2015 NC Miata club PRHT 6MT
2007 911 Carrera 2 (black/tan) 6MT
2017 Grand Sport (blue/white/red) 7MT
2015 BMW M4 (BSM/SS) 6MT
2011 C63 AMG (black/black) 7A
Appreciate 0