Autotalent
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > BMW M3 (F80) and BMW M4 (F82) General Forum

01-26-2024, 02:30 AM   #1
hoodieeric
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW M3

Garage List
2017 BMW M3  [10.00]
Paddle Shifters Not Working

Hey guys recently had this issue where sometimes my paddle shifters don’t respond to my input. I can be trying to downshift it won’t work nither upshfiting. Sometimes when I click down shift the car upshifts. Or when I downshift the car goes from third to first instantly leaving me at like 5 thousand rpm. But the center console dct stick works perfectly fine. Anyone know what I can do to fix this? Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2024, 07:23 AM   #2
M3SQRD
Major General
Rep
Drives: E92 M3,G20 330ix,F22 240iX,F82

Can’t explain why it doesn’t respond or why it upshift when you select downshift and vice versa. However, a multi-gear downshift (5000 rpm is high, btw) occurs if you go wot and hold the downshift paddle, instead of a quick click, when downshifting you’ll engage the kickdown mode. Kickdown mode makes the DCT work like a conventional AT and it will select the lowest possible gear that doesn’t exceed redline. Note, engaging kickdown puts you into manual mode even if you were in auto mode so be prepared to upshift. I 100% use manual mode so it’s not an issue for me. However, I’ve never had it go from 3rd to 1st but I’ve never intentionally tried it either. I don’t use it often but when I do it’s always on the highway when trying to pass slower moving traffic.
Appreciate 2
      01-27-2024, 01:24 PM   #3
hoodieeric
Private
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2017 BMW M3  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3SQRD View Post
Can’t explain why it doesn’t respond or why it upshift when you select downshift and vice versa. However, a multi-gear downshift (5000 rpm is high, btw) occurs if you go wot and hold the downshift paddle, instead of a quick click, when downshifting you’ll engage the kickdown mode. Kickdown mode makes the DCT work like a conventional AT and it will select the lowest possible gear that doesn’t exceed redline. Note, engaging kickdown puts you into manual mode even if you were in auto mode so be prepared to upshift. I 100% use manual mode so it’s not an issue for me. However, I’ve never had it go from 3rd to 1st but I’ve never intentionally tried it either. I don’t use it often but when I do it’s always on the highway when trying to pass slower moving traffic.
Thank you for the reply. Yea I never hold the downshift just tap it. I always drive manual mode to avoid accidental kickdowns. It only happened one time i was in third around 2200 rpm I go to downshift and goes into first. But for now my car isn’t responding to my shifts sometimes. Or my downshift paddle thinks it’s a up shift and goes up in gears. Very weird.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2024, 01:32 PM   #4
M3SQRD
Major General
Rep
Drives: E92 M3,G20 330ix,F22 240iX,F82

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoodieeric View Post
Thank you for the reply. Yea I never hold the downshift just tap it. I always drive manual mode to avoid accidental kickdowns. It only happened one time i was in third around 2200 rpm I go to downshift and goes into first. But for now my car isn’t responding to my shifts sometimes. Or my downshift paddle thinks it’s a up shift and goes up in gears. Very weird.
That’s so strange. It seems like it’s a software issue. I wonder if getting the GTS/CS DCT flash, which would update your DCT software, would address your DCT issues?

Have you checked for stored codes?
Appreciate 1
      01-27-2024, 04:19 PM   #5
WhiteFox
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M4 F83

Might be the slip ring squib and this might need changing as had similar issues when BMW swapped my steering wheel and they replaced this under warranty.
Appreciate 1
      01-27-2024, 04:54 PM   #6
hoodieeric
Private
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2017 BMW M3  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteFox View Post
Might be the slip ring squib and this might need changing as had similar issues when BMW swapped my steering wheel and they replaced this under warranty.
I’ve looked into this also this is the same thing as a “clock sprint” correct? Might solve my issue going to a shop hopefully sometime next week.
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2024, 05:16 PM   #7
NSX2M4
Major
Rep
Drives: 2019 M4 ZCP- RIVIAN R1S QUAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoodieeric View Post
I’ve looked into this also this is the same thing as a “clock sprint” correct? Might solve my issue going to a shop hopefully sometime next week.
Could be a clock "spring" for sure. Or a bad connection at the shifter plugs.
Are your turn signals working as normal? If not, clock spring would be my guess.
      01-29-2024, 11:23 AM   #8
hoodieeric
Private
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2017 BMW M3  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by NSX2M4 View Post
Could be a clock "spring" for sure. Or a bad connection at the shifter plugs.
Are your turn signals working as normal? If not, clock spring would be my guess.
Yes everything else on the steering wheel is working perfectly fine. That’s why it’s kind of werid.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2024, 01:10 PM   #9
Bimmer.Plug
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW G82 M4 & F82 M4

Bimmer Plug offers paddle shifters that you are more than welcome to look into as well as custom steering wheels.

Appreciate 1
      01-29-2024, 04:32 PM   #10
NSX2M4
Major
Rep
Drives: 2019 M4 ZCP- RIVIAN R1S QUAD

Shifter plug got you down? Call bimmer Plug today!
      01-29-2024, 11:06 PM   #11
hoodieeric
Private
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2017 BMW M3  [10.00]
Found the issue! Before taking in to my mechanic wanted to see if I could solve this myself. So when I first got the car I had a shop do my red M1 M2 buttons. When I removed the airbag I found a line of cables put behind the bracket where your airbag is supposed to sit. Ultimately putting pressure on the wires. I re routed the wires now there’s no pressure and it works! My mechanic also said it could be the paddles that are giving me the issue. Just for future information if anyone has this issue. Also if your clock spring goes bad usually the car will throw codes and a check engine. So try these fixes out before you replace your clock spring because the part is expensive! Thank you guys for the help.
Appreciate 0