Mo Reviews
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

04-19-2021, 01:11 AM   #1
fidozoom
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 BSM M4 Convertible

Are there no good options for lowering f83?

I'd really like to lower my 2016 F83 M4 with EDC and 20" 666m wheels. I like my cars as low as possible to the ground and I like the seamless look of a smaller wheel/fender gap.

I'd read several threads but I can't seem to find a good option for lowering springs. My local indie shop suggested Swift springs and I've heard good things about them. I love the stock ride and would like to keep it close to that and seems like Swift are better in that regard than H&R or Eibach. But they don't have a F83 application and I don't know if their F82 application will work for F83 given the increased weight of the convertible (I drive top down most of the time).

Has anyone lowered their F83? Can you please share what you went with and your opinion of the ride?

Thanks in advance!
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2021, 06:29 AM   #2
vpegany
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M4

I have KW HAS kit. Rides very close to stock.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-19-2021, 12:51 PM   #3
fidozoom
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Swift springs?

Thanks. I was looking to go with just springs. Is there are big difference between just spring and something like the HAS kit? I don't expect to do height adjustments once installed.

I am worried that the additional weight of the convertible may cause the wheels to rub particularly in the rear with Swift springs. Anybody have Swift springs on their convertible?
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2021, 05:57 PM   #4
1000hp
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by fidozoom View Post
I'd really like to lower my 2016 F83 M4 with EDC and 20" 666m wheels. I like my cars as low as possible to the ground and I like the seamless look of a smaller wheel/fender gap.

I'd read several threads but I can't seem to find a good option for lowering springs. My local indie shop suggested Swift springs and I've heard good things about them. I love the stock ride and would like to keep it close to that and seems like Swift are better in that regard than H&R or Eibach. But they don't have a F83 application and I don't know if their F82 application will work for F83 given the increased weight of the convertible (I drive top down most of the time).

Has anyone lowered their F83? Can you please share what you went with and your opinion of the ride?

Thanks in advance!
I don't know about F83, but Swifts are MUCH more harsh than stock. Definitely not like the stock ride.
Eibachs ride like stock.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2021, 06:46 PM   #5
fidozoom
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1000hp View Post
I don't know about F83, but Swifts are MUCH more harsh than stock. Definitely not like the stock ride.
Eibachs ride like stock.
How much is the drop with the Eibach's? I hear they are not very significant. I'd like for somewhat more of a drop.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2021, 07:34 AM   #6
EricP3
Captain
Rep
Drives: '23 X3M Comp

Quote:
How much is the drop with the Eibach's? I hear they are not very significant. I'd like for somewhat more of a drop.
There is a US version of the eibachs that drop over 1" and then Euro version that drop just under 1". There are tons of threads on them if you search.
      04-21-2021, 08:33 AM   #7
ntg44
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: R8 4.2 Spyder

You're not going to find a set of springs with an aggressive drop that rides well. It'll be fine for a while until you realize how bouncy and crashy the ride is and then you'll end up changing it anyway.

If you want springs that you'll actually be happy with, get the eibach V2. But it won't be as aggressive of a drop.

Anything more will ride like garbage. There's no magic spring that will drop the car an inch or more and ride like stock on stock shocks designed for an inch more of shock travel.

What you really want is KW DDC coil overs, if they're compatible with the vert. I do not recommend B16D if you're looking for a comfortable ride.
      04-21-2021, 03:34 PM   #8
1000hp
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Quote:
Like the other guy said, plenty of drop with the second version. Not much with the "Euro V1" springs.

I started with Swifts. The car looked great but rode like a skateboard, and was unpredictable over rough pavement. Especially in bumpy corners. I switched to Eibach V1s to get the ride quality back. It rode nicely with the V1s but was not low enough for me.
Then I switched to the V2s and the drop looks perfect to me, and it rides just as nicely as the V1s.
Appreciate 0