Mo Reviews
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

04-08-2021, 12:08 PM   #67
irunalot
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Porsche Carrera S

There has to be an issue with the damper itself, sorry you are having so many issues.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2021, 12:20 PM   #68
jpy1980
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M3 -Smurfy Blue Vinyl

Quote:
Originally Posted by irunalot View Post
There has to be an issue with the damper itself, sorry you are having so many issues.
That's what I'm thinking but when talking to Bilstein, they are pretty sure its not the damper as they called the damper "robust." haha
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2021, 12:20 PM   #69
irunalot
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevehifi View Post
Just a comment on my end about the b16d on track. Overall I have to say it's not bad, but a couple issues with it:
- sport plus setting seems to run way too much high speed compression and lacks enough low/high speed rebound.
- the spring rates on the setup are much too soft for track use
- you can't lower the setup too much, you'll hit bump stops too easily when hitting berms. (Probably because of too soft springs)
- rolls too much(again spring rates too soft)

Overall I think the shocks are excellent, but the edc preconfigured settings are inadequate. The spring rates are ok for the street but too soft for track use.
I can agree with all of these, for the street it’s amazing. But for the track they are too soft at F515/R799 (divorced). Track rates are closer to F700/R1000-divorced(600 coil over). If DSC made a controller for these, they would be perfect for extreme street with stiffer springs. It’s possible to get away with lowering and not hitting bump stops if you fix the roll center with SPL front lower control arms and rear eccentric lower control arm bushings, but at that point you are getting more track focused and might as well move to a more track focused coil over.

These are best for high performance street setups that lower the car 20mm-30mm.

If you do a lot of track days or are super sensitive to damper tuning go with a track setup.
Appreciate 1
jpy19801581.50
      04-08-2021, 12:31 PM   #70
stevehifi
Captain
Rep
Drives: 17 F80 M3 ZCP

Quote:
I can agree with all of these, for the street it’s amazing. But for the track they are too soft at F515/R799 (divorced). Track rates are closer to F700/R1000-divorced(600 coil over). If DSC made a controller for these, they would be perfect for extreme street with stiffer springs. It’s possible to get away with lowering and not hitting bump stops if you fix the roll center with SPL front lower control arms and rear eccentric lower control arm bushings, but at that point you are getting more track focused and might as well move to a more track focused coil over.

These are best for high performance street setups that lower the car 20mm-30mm.

If you do a lot of track days or are super sensitive to damper tuning go with a track setup.

Do you have a source/link that shows the rates listed at 515/799? AFAIK Bilstein doesn't publish the rates for the B16D kit. Also they are progressive rate springs (Fr/Rr)

I really doubt they are that stiff.. my guess is that they are closer to stock rates (~150-200 FR and ~550-700 RR)

I could be wrong of course, but if you have a document or site link that shows this please forward it.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2021, 12:54 PM   #71
irunalot
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevehifi View Post
Do you have a source/link that shows the rates listed at 515/799? AFAIK Bilstein doesn't publish the rates for the B16D kit. Also they are progressive rate springs (Fr/Rr)

I really doubt they are that stiff.. my guess is that they are closer to stock rates (~150-200 FR and ~550-700 RR)

I could be wrong of course, but if you have a document or site link that shows this please forward it.
They sent it to me an in email, I can forward it to you if you like just PM me your email.

Also keep in mind they are progressive rate, so this is the main rate only. If you are lowered you will hit the second rate at a certain point of suspension travel, which is not ideal.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-09-2021, 09:26 PM   #72
jpy1980
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Just got another chassis malfunction error today and I am over it!

Just bought some ST XTA Non-EDC coilovers and I am going to swap them out, code out EDC and finally have no more electronic gremlins. I wont miss pushing the button to change modes...I'll drive my car old school style ahha =)

In the end I think my rear right shock wire or shock is the culprit, but I'm not up for diagnosing and going through the whole Bilstein warranty process. I'll probably sell my Bilsteins really cheap for someone else to buy the extra rear shock or diagnose it.
Appreciate 2
      04-10-2021, 10:05 AM   #73
slaughter.mode
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M4 Competition

Garage List
2018 BMW M4 ZCP  [9.80]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpy1980 View Post
Just got another chassis malfunction error today and I am over it!

Just bought some ST XTA Non-EDC coilovers and I am going to swap them out, code out EDC and finally have no more electronic gremlins. I wont miss pushing the button to change modes...I'll drive my car old school style ahha =)

In the end I think my rear right shock wire or shock is the culprit, but I'm not up for diagnosing and going through the whole Bilstein warranty process. I'll probably sell my Bilsteins really cheap for someone else to buy the extra rear shock or diagnose it.
Man what a bummer. Meanwhile mine are perfect. Might be interested for backups. There's no way these are gonna last long with these LA roads.
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2021, 11:34 AM   #74
jpy1980
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_ghost View Post
Man what a bummer. Meanwhile mine are perfect. Might be interested for backups. There's no way these are gonna last long with these LA roads.
Funny thing was that when I initially had the issues, I bought an extra set for that extra wire. I should've kept the extra set, but I just couldn't stomach having $7.5k of suspension parts for my car haha. I'll update this post when I uninstall everything. I'll probably sell my Bilsteins for $700 or something like that. Need to recoup at least something. Also gonna sell my GC cambers plates too since the XTAs come with camber plates.

Such a bummer but at least I wont have any issues anymore. Was cruising down PCH yesterday, enjoying the beautiful weather, when the error popped up again. RUINED the drive. =(
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2021, 04:34 PM   #75
jpy1980
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Just installed my ST XTA static coilovers system and coded out the EDC. I’m in love. The car drives so well and it is very comfortable/compliant yet sporty. Best decision ever.

I’ll give more driving impressions after I Get an alignment and take it for canyon run.
Appreciate 1
      04-24-2021, 09:43 PM   #76
Ant_tc
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW M3 30 Jahre

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpy1980 View Post
Just installed my ST XTA static coilovers system and coded out the EDC. I’m in love. The car drives so well and it is very comfortable/compliant yet sporty. Best decision ever.

I’ll give more driving impressions after I Get an alignment and take it for canyon run.
Do the rears dropped really low like how the kw v3 are?
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2021, 11:00 PM   #77
jpy1980
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant_tc View Post
Do the rears dropped really low like how the kw v3 are?
If you look at this link of my car lowered with The b16, its at the samr height with the XTAs

https://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...2&postcount=50
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2021, 07:03 PM   #78
EvoFire
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: None

Quote:
They sent it to me an in email, I can forward it to you if you like just PM me your email.

Also keep in mind they are progressive rate, so this is the main rate only. If you are lowered you will hit the second rate at a certain point of suspension travel, which is not ideal.
Would you consider running it with custom swift springs like how a lot of ppl do with BC coils?

It's tempting for me to do, but I don't want to drop something like $4k on a set of coils and still having to shell out another g for custom springs.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2021, 06:37 PM   #79
irunalot
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvoFire View Post
Would you consider running it with custom swift springs like how a lot of ppl do with BC coils?

It's tempting for me to do, but I don't want to drop something like $4k on a set of coils and still having to shell out another g for custom springs.
Sure, it's possible to run a linear springs that are within ~15% of the main rate to avoid the need to re-valve the dampers. So that would be around F 438-592 R 679-918. I was about to do the same before I decided to go to the MCS 3-ways. I contacted Vosrhlag about this and they said while they have not tested custom springs on the B16D specifically that it is possible to switch the springs. Bilstein makes some good dampers, I just feel as though the progressive rate springs can be improved on when seeing a bit more track duty.

Here is an article forum post I found that was written by someone at Vorshlag that discuss using standard coil over springs with Bilstein coil overs.
https://www.e46fanatics.com/threads/...eview.1105281/
Appreciate 1
EvoFire99.00
      05-16-2021, 07:41 PM   #80
clutchdj
Colonel
Rep
Drives: a few cars

I have 400 ish miles on this suspension. Ran Pocono Full course today. I would say for an intermediate driver these are OK. Great value for what they are. I ran them sport mode and again they are ok. Comfort is too bouncy in the midfield. Sport is much better. Didn’t try S+. I would probably do it all over
again. On the street they are typical bilstien but a bit stiffer; I think because of our already rigid chassis. The car is 60/40 track/street so these are a the right choice so far lol. Car is M3cs
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2021, 11:14 PM   #81
jpy1980
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by clutchdj View Post
I have 400 ish miles on this suspension. Ran Pocono Full course today. I would say for an intermediate driver these are OK. Great value for what they are. I ran them sport mode and again they are ok. Comfort is too bouncy in the midfield. Sport is much better. Didn’t try S+. I would probably do it all over
again. On the street they are typical bilstien but a bit stiffer; I think because of our already rigid chassis. The car is 60/40 track/street so these are a the right choice so far lol. Car is M3cs
Not sure if this is hearsay, and I'm not sure if it is even possible, but can you code the stock CS EDC coding to the Comp pack or civic EDC settings? Basically lower than your current CS coding. The reason is that I had the CS EDC tuning on my B16s and it was harsh...Very harsh. You may want to see if you can play around with those settings.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2021, 11:32 PM   #82
clutchdj
Colonel
Rep

I think if the m3 was my every single day car I would consider it for the roads in the city that are treacherous. Overall I think I might be satisfied w/the current CS programming/setup and the compromise is good; today was sort of a shakedown with the different mods. But yeah, it’s not hearsay. It can be coded “down” so to speak,, at least I know Alex@alpine has done it for me on other cars.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2021, 01:10 PM   #83
jim1013yyf
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: YMB M4

Coded my EDC with CS software and the B16D feels more compliant now in comfort (comparing to it when on civic software)
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2021, 06:06 PM   #84
horsepower_and_hounds
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW

I fixed mine...I coded all that shit out
Appreciate 1
irunalot1518.00
      05-17-2021, 08:01 PM   #85
biofluke
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3 Competition

I can also add that I noticed a night and day difference between the ZCP EDC and CS EDC coding.

Sport plus I never had a problem with in either mode, as it always felt composed and compliant. However, comfort was super bouncy with the factory ZCP coding.

I am pleased to report that the CS EDC got rid of the bounciness. I just got back from a 3 day event at Watkins, and I have zero complaints about the setup. I would swear that the coding *feels like* it does even more than just rebound/damping adjustments. The car felt much more composed in sport plus mode on the track with less body roll. I wouldn't be surprised if the programming dynamically stiffens the car when detecting g-forces on car telemetry or something along those lines. Who knows what kind of additional logic and programming BMW added to the CS software.

You buy this suspension because you have a dual-use car. Yes, it has some compromises, but its supposed to be the swiss army knife of suspensions. The reality is, the M3 is a heavy sedan, so its already a compromise vs a dedicated lightweight track car.

When I first got the setup on, I wasn't crazy about it. It felt harsh and bouncy in comfort, which felt like it defeated the purpose. After 500 miles of break in, and then raising up the car to a reasonable drop (not slammed so no longer hitting bump stops), and now with the CS EDC coding, I am pleased to say that the B16D finally meets my expectations.

Could it be softer in comfort? Sure. Could it be stiffer in Sport Plus? Sure. But the fact that it can do both well enough and change with the push of a button is the whole reason why you'd get it.
Appreciate 2
SYT_Shadow11478.00
clutchdj1875.50
      05-25-2021, 05:26 PM   #86
clutchdj
Colonel
Rep

Nice. I am at the glen in august. I also raised my rear a bit. Noticed a big difference; way more compliant & less harsh in the rear.
Appreciate 1
rborane241.00
      05-26-2021, 06:54 AM   #87
SteveChester
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F82 M4

Garage List
2014 BMW F82 M4  [0.00]
Does the Bootmod3 GTS flash change the EDC settings or just the DCT aspect?
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2021, 07:15 AM   #88
irunalot
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveChester View Post
Does the Bootmod3 GTS flash change the EDC settings or just the DCT aspect?
The EDC needs to be coded. You can try to do it yourself or reach out to one of the remote coders such as kubax86. He changed mine to CS then coded out the EDC when i went to MCS.
Appreciate 0