proTUNING Freaks
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

04-14-2014, 01:01 PM   #67
Powaup
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 Supra 3.0 (Past: 2015 M23

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by absoluteis350 View Post
Your dealer is probably unaware of the change. They definitely are covered now. Confirmed by BMW NA and the M5 guys that have gotten CCB. It was only the first year that they were uncovered.

But the point is largely irrelevant: They will last the life of the car under normal use, so no money out of dealers pocket. And if you track the car, they will void the Maintenance program on the CCB, also no money out of dealers pocket.

As for wear, I don't think anyone around here has worn them yet. The largest dealer that has sold CCB around here told me they have yet to replace a set of pads. That can mean anything tho (maybe the ppl that got CCB don't put many miles on their cars, maybe they got them done somewhere else, who knows)

Good info to know. Now what happens if the brakes explode because you washed your car improperly and dented the discs? I'm guessing that's still covered by warranty?
      04-14-2014, 01:11 PM   #68
CanAutM3
General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2021 911 turbo

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Powaup View Post
Good info to know. Now what happens if the brakes explode because you washed your car improperly and dented the discs? I'm guessing that's still covered by warranty?
Since when is damage resutling from an accident or improper use/maintenance covered under warranty
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2014, 01:25 PM   #69
TNTofthe916
Rep
Drives: 2010 e90 m3, 2015 F83 m4

I know folks stationed here in Germany have had maintenance under warranty voided because they revealed it occurred at the ring. It's best to reveal nothing regarding even limited track use and keep requests at a reasonable pace.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2014, 09:04 PM   #70
Dog Face Pony Soldier
2006 TIME Person Of The Year
United_States
Rep
Drives: M Sport 335i

Garage List
2014 335i  [9.74]
Much better braking, better handling and acceleration (27.5+ lb rotational and unsprung weight savings), perpetually clean wheels, low maintenance, plus street cred and super cool aesthetic... CCB's price of admission seems reasonable to me!
      04-14-2014, 09:11 PM   #71
GregW / Oregon
Commander-In-Chief
Rep
Drives: 2023 M2 Coupe, 2020 GLE 450

Garage List
CCBs

Quote:
Originally Posted by glennQNYC View Post
Much better braking, better handling and acceleration (27.5+ lb rotational and unsprung weight savings), perpetually clean wheels, low maintenance, plus street cred and super cool aesthetic... Price seems reasonable to me!
Almost got me talked into them!

Greg Lake Oswego, Oregon, USA
2023 M2 Coupe - Brooklyn Grey/Cognac/CF, 6MT; 2020 MB GLE 450
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2014, 10:02 PM   #72
CanAutM3
General
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Much better braking, better handling and acceleration (27.5+ lb rotational and unsprung weight savings), perpetually clean wheels, low maintenance, plus street cred and super cool aesthetic... CCB's price of admission seems reasonable to me!
27.5lb rotational mass saving yes, but not unsprung weight. Unsprung weight is only reduced by 3.25-3.75lb per corner due to the heavier callipers.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2014, 10:21 PM   #73
swamp2
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
And "much better braking" is clearly a big stretch. Maybe, somewhat improved fade resistance but surely not better braking force/time/distance. That is largely governed by available traction (assuming brakes matched well to weight distribution change under hard braking).

Massivle higher price, makes your car look more like a exotic, much more fragile and little to no wear benefit when pushed hard on the track = totally unreasonable price of admission (of course my perspective).
| XPEL Full Front Wrap | Hardwired V1 | Interior Xenon Light Kit |
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2014, 10:56 PM   #74
consolidated
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Garage List
Think of it as a luxury item first, you know, like a BMW M car.

Not even full leather gets this much debate, because it's purely a luxury selection. Not worth overthinking this one, feel it or don't feel it. It happens to stop the car, but that's not a measure of it's complete 'value' if you know what I mean.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2014, 11:02 PM   #75
KevN27
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: ///M

Is the M3 more of a sport or luxury car? I tend to add options enhancing such characteristic of the car.

To some people, it's more of the latter. So full leather, comfort access are more worth spending their money on.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2014, 11:14 PM   #76
consolidated
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevN27 View Post
Is the M3 more of a sport or luxury car?
The beauty of the formula. Sporty lux auto for reasonable money. More lux these days, but that's the case for every car.

I can have a daily driver, kid hauler with carbon ceramic brakes and 9/10th of the capability of a pure sports car for SUV money. Only a wagon would make it more perfect.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2014, 11:58 PM   #77
Caelric
Banned
Rep
Drives: n/a

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanAutM3 View Post
As far as being covered for track days and HPDE, the term "competitive events" is very specific. Track days and HPDEs are not considered competitive events.

While we all understand that HPDEs and Track Days are not competitive events, almost all insurance companies and warranty programs consider that it you are on any form of race track, even if for a 'non-competitive event' such as an HPDE, they consider it to be competitive and will not honor insurance and/or warranty claims.

I have USAA, considered one of the best, if not the best, insurance company in the US, and they, like all other insurance companies make it more than clear that if you are on a track surface, you are not covered. This goes for most warranty programs, as well.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2014, 12:42 AM   #78
ss134
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNTofthe916 View Post
I know folks stationed here in Germany have had maintenance under warranty voided because they revealed it occurred at the ring. It's best to reveal nothing regarding even limited track use and keep requests at a reasonable pace.
.. ....which is shocking considering every promo or commercial for the M3 show a racing driver thrashing it around a track clearly trying to show that the M3 is a road car designed with occasional track days in mind.
2009 6MT E90 LCI 335i M -Sport - Sold
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2014, 12:51 AM   #79
gago1101
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 911 GT3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ss134 View Post
.. ....which is shocking considering every promo or commercial for the M3 show a racing driver thrashing it around a track clearly trying to show that the M3 is a road car designed with occasional track days in mind.
Agree, if BMW meant track use will void warranty, they would have clearly stated that. Instead, they say competitive events, which gives room for interpretation. Any time there is room for interpretation, you can interpret it as you like and you can and will win in court with appropriate representation.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2014, 06:26 AM   #80
CanAutM3
General
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caelric View Post
While we all understand that HPDEs and Track Days are not competitive events, almost all insurance companies and warranty programs consider that it you are on any form of race track, even if for a 'non-competitive event' such as an HPDE, they consider it to be competitive and will not honor insurance and/or warranty claims.

I have USAA, considered one of the best, if not the best, insurance company in the US, and they, like all other insurance companies make it more than clear that if you are on a track surface, you are not covered. This goes for most warranty programs, as well.
We have had students have incidents while attending HPDEs. With the proper documentation and reports proving it was a non-competitive event, their insurance covered. If you have a clause that specifically specifies that you are not covered on a race track, then it is a different story.

As for warranty, as others have stated, the BMW documentation is not explicit about use on a track, which makes it open to interpretation.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2014, 09:10 AM   #81
Caelric
Banned
Rep
Drives: n/a

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanAutM3 View Post
We have had students have incidents while attending HPDEs. With the proper documentation and reports proving it was a non-competitive event, their insurance covered. If you have a clause that specifically specifies that you are not covered on a race track, then it is a different story.

As for warranty, as others have stated, the BMW documentation is not explicit about use on a track, which makes it open to interpretation.
Conversely, every single incident I have heard of of someone trying to claim on their insurance from an HPDE mishap has been denied. But anecdotal evidence is just that...anecdotes. Enough of them actually make data, but I certainly don't claim to have enough anecdotes to make data.

As for the BMW warranty documentation bein open to interpretation, you are certainly correct in that; but I would azrd to say that BMW has a number of on staff lawyers that are experts in such interpretation, whereas the average owner has....less of such resources.

We are certainly straying far from the original subject of the CCBs.

For me, the CCBs are just plain not worth it, even though I plan on doing multiple track days in my M4. Of course, changing brake pads the morning of track event is incredibly easy, if you are not an idiot, and it is something I did every track day I went to in the past, and probably about halway into my track day time, started chaging wheels/tires to a dedicated r-compound tire and wheel set.

The lack of brake dust from the CCBs is a nice bonus, and the 'bling' certainly is there, but it is not worth the $8k, not for me.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2014, 09:15 AM   #82
CanAutM3
General
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Conversely, every single incident I have heard of of someone trying to claim on their insurance from an HPDE mishap has been denied. But anecdotal evidence is just that...anecdotes. Enough of them actually make data, but I certainly don't claim to have enough anecdotes to make data.
I am very involved with our local BMW club, and what I mentioned is factual, not anecdotal

It might be different in Canada vs the US though...

Quote:
We are certainly straying far from the original subject of the CCBs.

For me, the CCBs are just plain not worth it, even though I plan on doing multiple track days in my M4. Of course, changing brake pads the morning of track event is incredibly easy, if you are not an idiot, and it is something I did every track day I went to in the past, and probably about halway into my track day time, started chaging wheels/tires to a dedicated r-compound tire and wheel set.

The lack of brake dust from the CCBs is a nice bonus, and the 'bling' certainly is there, but it is not worth the $8k, not for me.
We are on the same page here
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2014, 11:49 AM   #83
jphughan
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 Cayman GT4

Quote:

USAA and many other insurance carriers do indeed word the exclusions in their policy to make it clear that driving on a race track for any reason is not covered. USAA's goes so far as to say something like, "for any reason, including to improve your skill as a driver." Wouldn't want people doing THAT! On USAA in particular, I've read multiple threads about people who called them to ask about HPDE coverage either as part of their regular policy or as part of some supplemental coverage they could purchase. USAA not only told them that HPDEs were not covered, but then chose not to renew their policies just because they asked about it.

It USED to be that the most carriers' policies said that you were only excluded from coverage on the track if you were "practicing for or participating in any timed or competitive event" -- which means HPDEs would be covered. Open track days with no instructors or classes probably wouldn't be covered though, even if you weren't timing anything, since that could more easily be construed as practice for a competitive event. My policy with Amica Mutual (in Texas in case there are variations from state to state) says that I'm not covered on a race track if I'm "practicing for or participating in any racing or speed contest", which again doesn't describe HPDEs. But Amica seems to be one of the few left that still uses that type of language rather than a blanket exclusion on track driving.

Gone but not forgotten:
'11.75 M3 E92 Le Mans | Black Nov w/ Alum | 6MT (owned 5/2011 - 11/2015)
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2014, 11:52 AM   #84
Black Gold
Major General
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jphughan View Post
USAA and many other insurance carriers do indeed word the exclusions in their policy to make it clear that driving on a race track for any reason is not covered. USAA's goes so far as to say something like, "for any reason, including to improve your skill as a driver." Wouldn't want people doing THAT! On USAA in particular, I've read multiple threads about people who called them to ask about HPDE coverage either as part of their regular policy or as part of some supplemental coverage they could purchase. USAA not only told them that HPDEs were not covered, but then chose not to renew their policies just because they asked about it.

It USED to be that the most carriers' policies said that you were only excluded from coverage on the track if you were "practicing for or participating in any timed or competitive event" -- which means HPDEs would be covered. Open track days with no instructors or classes probably wouldn't be covered though, even if you weren't timing anything, since that could more easily be construed as practice for a competitive event. My policy with Amica Mutual (in Texas in case there are variations from state to state) says that I'm not covered on a race track if I'm "practicing for or participating in any racing or speed contest", which again doesn't describe HPDEs. But Amica seems to be one of the few left that still uses that type of language rather than a blanket exclusion on track driving.
I agree that it sucks, but honestly, do you blame them?

Ive been on track a number of times and it is absolutely more dangerous / more accident prone than regular driving. Zero doubt about it. Expecting a regular insurance policy to cover this type of extreme driving is unrealistic and unfair IMO. I don't blame the insurance companies at all.

Tracking is much more risky. Especially a place like TWS, which you also know, that has extremely dangerous and bad runoff areas where if you go off, bad things will happen.
      04-15-2014, 12:17 PM   #85
Randy M
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 B302 LS

Sport bike track days are far more exciting and fun. While I've done a car day before, they're fun but not nearly as intense. Not only that but wadding up a bike makes for a bad day. Wadding up a high dollar car that will not be covered by insurance is a bad year lol...
      04-15-2014, 12:35 PM   #86
jphughan
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by KennyPowers View Post
I agree that it sucks, but honestly, do you blame them?

Ive been on track a number of times and it is absolutely more dangerous / more accident prone than regular driving. Zero doubt about it. Expecting a regular insurance policy to cover this type of extreme driving is unrealistic and unfair IMO. I don't blame the insurance companies at all.

Tracking is much more risky. Especially a place like TWS, which you also know, that has extremely dangerous and bad runoff areas where if you go off, bad things will happen.
I'm not saying I blame them -- except USAA for dropping people just for asking. That's just wrong. I do wonder whether those other carriers reduced their rates when they reduced their risk by excluding all track driving though. Somehow I doubt it.

As for relative safety, I have absolutely no data to substantiate this conjecture, but I would wager that there are fewer accidents at the track than on the road even per capita. Yes speeds at the track are higher and yes there are some tracks like TWS that have some nasty runoff areas, but on the other hand, traffic only goes in one direction, there are no intersections, there are corner workers to warn you of issues ahead, there are no pedestrians or kids/animals suddenly leaping out into the road, there are almost never any collisions with other cars, and most importantly, everyone out there is focused on actually driving rather than trying to balance a smartphone and a latte. I think those factors go a long way toward offsetting the increased risk from the other factors.

But again, I don't have any hard numbers. It'd be fascinating if the dedicated HPDE insurance carriers shared their average payout per insured party so we could compare against the average for regular insurers' payouts on comprehensive coverage from moving accidents on public roads, but I don't see that happening.

Gone but not forgotten:

Last edited by jphughan; 04-15-2014 at 01:13 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2014, 12:43 PM   #87
jphughan
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rated R
Sport bike track days are far more exciting and fun. While I've done a car day before, they're fun but not nearly as intense. Not only that but wadding up a bike makes for a bad day. Wadding up a high dollar car that will not be covered by insurance is a bad year lol...
True, though a nasty incident on a bike is also more likely to lead to a nasty death, or at least permanent bodily damage -- either of which kind of outweighs a nasty financial year from wadding up a car in my book. But then again I go skydiving, so we all have our level of acceptable risk for the thrill available.

That's why I'm considering an Ariel Atom though. Closer to sport bike intensity but you still get harnesses and roll bars.

Gone but not forgotten:

Last edited by jphughan; 04-15-2014 at 01:04 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2014, 09:11 AM   #88
2thdr
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: '18 Macan GTS/'18 GT3/''21 X5M

So, I am wondering after seeing so many Porsche's running around in the city with CCB's as to how many people are considering the ceramic option on the F80/F82 for daily drivers with no track use. I don't think I need the CCB in that situation and am not even sure as to how well they would perform if I decided to run the vehicle in the winter months as well, but I honestly don't know enough about them aside from anecdotal generalizations about using CCBs in the winter.

Can someone please provide their opinions/experiences?
Appreciate 0