Autotalent
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics

09-15-2018, 10:26 PM   #1
Vegetable
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M4 MT

How is the auto rev-matching feature a good thing?

How does this Rev matching make driving easier? For me it just makes it harder. For example, I was driving on a twisty road today, put the clutch in and shift to 3rd (clutch still in) and the RPM goes up to like 5,000. I wasn't ever ready to f-ing shift yet just preparing for a downshift. Now i have to be careful when I downshift every time, even with the clutch pedal in. BTW, does this rev match "feature" allow for over-rev with the clutch pedal pushed in?
      09-15-2018, 11:33 PM   #2
JackieChiles
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 MR M3 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegetable View Post
How does this Rev matching make driving easier? For me it just makes it harder. For example, I was driving on a twisty road today, put the clutch in and shift to 3rd (clutch still in) and the RPM goes up to like 5,000. I wasn't ever ready to f-ing shift yet just preparing for a downshift. Now i have to be careful when I downshift every time, even with the clutch pedal in. BTW, does this rev match "feature" allow for over-rev with the clutch pedal pushed in?
Not sure I totally understand what you are saying in your example but yes you can over rev, well at least rev too high accidentally.

I’ve forgotten to press the m button or just not activated it for some reason a couple times and downshifted and blipped the throttle to rev match and went overboard because the computer had already revved the motor to the proper rpm right before I added throttle (since the car defaults to efficient mode)
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2018, 12:10 AM   #3
Vegetable
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M4 MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackieChiles View Post
Not sure I totally understand what you are saying in your example but yes you can over rev, well at least rev too high accidentally.

I’ve forgotten to press the m button or just not activated it for some reason a couple times and downshifted and blipped the throttle to rev match and went overboard because the computer had already revved the motor to the proper rpm right before I added throttle (since the car defaults to efficient mode)

Downshifted from 4th into 3rd with clutch in. Did not want to engage 3rd gear quite yet, however the engine revved immediately even with the clutch pedal totally engaged as if I had selected 3rd gear and let off the clutch. With rev matching I can't choose when I actually want 3rd or any gear to engage, it revs the engine to hell regardless of when I tell it to. This was while in sport plus everything.
      09-16-2018, 01:21 AM   #4
Aaaaaaaaa
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: The other M3

Quote:
Quote:

I've forgotten to press the m button or just not activated it for some reason a couple times and downshifted and blipped the throttle to rev match and went overboard because the computer had already revved the motor to the proper rpm right before I added throttle (since the car defaults to efficient mode)

Downshifted from 4th into 3rd with clutch in. Did not want to engage 3rd gear quite yet, however the engine revved immediately even with the clutch pedal totally engaged as if I had selected 3rd gear and let off the clutch. With rev matching I can't choose when I actually want 3rd or any gear to engage, it revs the engine to hell regardless of when I tell it to. This was while in sport plus everything.
Why not just change gear when you're ready to. Are you coasting in neutral for a while before engaging the clutch on the lower gear while driving twisty roads? I understand people don't like the auto rev match from a purist point of view but it does make downshifting super easy. Just shift down wait for revs to jump and literally dump the clutch. Same goes for upshifts. You can almost shift this car with eyes closed.
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2018, 10:01 AM   #5
instarand
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by pheerIx View Post
Quote:
Quote:

I've forgotten to press the m button or just not activated it for some reason a couple times and downshifted and blipped the throttle to rev match and went overboard because the computer had already revved the motor to the proper rpm right before I added throttle (since the car defaults to efficient mode)

Why not just change gear when you're ready to. Are you coasting in neutral for a while before engaging the clutch on the lower gear while driving twisty roads? I understand people don't like the auto rev match from a purist point of view but it does make downshifting super easy. Just shift down wait for revs to jump and literally dump the clutch. Same goes for upshifts. You can almost shift this car with eyes closed.
Ha. Yeah, agreed. I happen to love the auto rev match. But I totally understand both perspectives and why someone wouldn't want it. That said, a toggle option between on and off would make everybody happy.

The thing about flying through twisties and holding the clutch in and coasting for any period of time sounds like a whole other issue lol. That actually sounds dangerous.
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2018, 11:21 AM   #6
Nikolas
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 996 TT

Quote:
Originally Posted by instarand View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by pheerIx View Post
Quote:
Quote:

Ha. Yeah, agreed. I happen to love the auto rev match. But I totally understand both perspectives and why someone wouldn't want it. That said, a toggle option between on and off would make everybody happy.

The thing about flying through twisties and holding the clutch in and coasting for any period of time sounds like a whole other issue lol. That actually sounds dangerous.
I can't understand why anyone would do that.
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2018, 11:47 AM   #7
gatorfast
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 718 Cayman

Quote:
Quote:

What you are saying doesn't make much sense. Why would you downshift to 3rd if you didn't want to engage that gear? That seems odd.

Also, the auto rev match happens at the point when the shifter enters the gate of the gear you are selecting, as it should. It doesnt wait for you to release the clutch as that would be too late. It's the same concept as if you were rev matching yourself.

So in your scenario, all you had to do was clutch in, move the shifter from 4th to 3rd, and then release the clutch. Easy as that.
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2018, 01:46 PM   #8
CanAutM3
General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2021 911 turbo

Garage List
Quote:
I am sorry to say, but what you are describing is bad driving technique combined with a basic lack of understanding of how a clutch/transmission system functions.

Previous cars: M4cs 2019 F82 Limerock Grey / M4 2015 F82 Silverstone / M3 2008 E92 Silverstone / M3 2002 E46 Carbon Black

Last edited by CanAutM3; 09-17-2018 at 01:51 PM..
Appreciate 1
SD ///M42992.00
      09-17-2018, 02:28 PM   #9
sprokai
Lurker
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 ZCP 6MT LSB

Quote:
BTW, does this rev match "feature" allow for over-rev with the clutch pedal pushed in?
I was wondering about this too. Will it over-rev on its own if you're still holding the clutch in? Or will it bounce off the rev limiter?
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2018, 04:06 PM   #10
jlhymb
Private
Rep
Drives: ymb

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprokai View Post
I was wondering about this too. Will it over-rev on its own if you're still holding the clutch in? Or will it bounce off the rev limiter?
When I accidentally heel toe with rev match on, the throttle input does nothing on my car. It simply jumps to and holds the rpm once the shifter is in the gate, as it would if I did not give any throttle input.

It's a bit weird having to "unlearn" heel toe behavior - like it feels wrong putting it into gear and letting the clutch out without throttle input. The rev-match is smooth and to be honest, the rev match feature does not change my opinion to get a 6mt.

If someone is cross shopping a CS with a zcp 6mt just for the transmission, however, I would offer the opinion that the 6mt is not a defining feature. Whereas, I would suggest the manual on an S2000 certainly adds character.
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2018, 08:16 PM   #11
gatorfast
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 718 Cayman

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprokai View Post
No it will not over rev. The car will not allow itself to electronically over rev. Same thing if you are revving your car in neutral - it will hit the limiter and no further. However if you release the clutch and force a mechanical over rev thats another story...
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2018, 05:16 PM   #12
SD ///M4
///Multiple
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 Coupe | M3 | Z4M Roadster

Garage List
Quote:
...I was driving on a twisty road today, put the clutch in and shift to 3rd (clutch still in) and the RPM goes up to like 5,000. I wasn't ever ready to f-ing shift yet just preparing for a downshift. Now i have to be careful when I downshift every time, even with the clutch pedal in. BTW, does this rev match "feature" allow for over-rev with the clutch pedal pushed in?
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanAutM3 View Post
I am sorry to say, but what you are describing is bad driving technique combined with a basic lack of understanding of how a clutch/transmission system functions.
What he said. You don't know how to properly drive a manual transmission. I don't care how long you've driving a manual, the technique you're using is wrong. There is absolutely no reason to push in the clutch and hold it in any longer than it takes to move the shift lever. You do not control the speed of the car with the clutch, you control it only with the accelerator and the brake. You can't "pause" a shift by pushing in the clutch until you "prepare" to shift or the car slows down enough to shift. If you have to do this then you're choosing to start the downshift process earlier than necessary and trying to wait until the right moment. Whether you're downshifting or upshifting, there is an optimal time to shift at which time you push in the clutch, move the shift lever, and then release the clutch pedal, all in one synchronized movement, quickly and smoothly.

Appreciate 0
      09-27-2018, 08:49 PM   #13
Suds
/M Enthusiast
United_States
Rep
Drives: Responsiblish

The only time the auto rev match jacks with me is the first time I downshift in one of my old cars that dosen't rev match, I pop the clutch in third or forth on a shift, it only takes once to remember.
Appreciate 0