Mo Reviews
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > BMW M3 (F80) and BMW M4 (F82) General Forum

04-04-2020, 09:51 AM   #1
Formermercowner
Rep
Drives: Bmw m4 2015

Time to change rotors?

My front brakes make a whistle sound sometimes when i brake. I have new pads (driven 500km). The car is a bmw m4 2015 modell, never had a disc change and just now noticed small craks in the disc.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-04-2020, 10:48 AM   #2
hC1001
Captain
Rep
Drives: E36 M3, F80 M3

The minimum thickness is etched on the rotor. I would go by that unless one of those cracks reach the edge of the rotor. The cracks developing in your rotors arent anything to worry about unless you are lower than min thickness.
Appreciate 1
      04-04-2020, 01:05 PM   #3
weytie
Banned
Rep
Drives: BMW M4 F82 Competition

Take of your wheel and punch out that baked brake dust in the holes. That's the reason why they start cracking, as the holes don't transfer any heat like that.
Appreciate 1
      04-04-2020, 02:47 PM   #4
SD ///M4
///Multiple
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 Coupe | M3 | Z4M Roadster

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Formermercowner View Post
My front brakes make a whistle sound sometimes when i brake. I have new pads (driven 500km). The car is a bmw m4 2015 modell, never had a disc change and just now noticed small craks in the disc.
How many miles on your car? What pads are you using? Do you track your car? If you do track your car, which pads do you use for the track?

That's a lot of pad dust in the holes. I've never seen that on my rotors. As mentioned above knocking out that dust would be the first step.

Putting a micrometer on the rotor is the best way to determine how thin the rotors are getting and if you get below the minimum thickness you should replace the rotors. From your picture you have quite a bit of ridge on the edge of the rotor.

I have a 2016 M4 that has 24 track days on it. All track days were done with Pagid RSL-29 pads and I've gone through two sets of those. My independent mechanic, who also tracks his car is recommending that I replace the rotors this year, but it's less of a need now since the car isn't driven due to stay-at-home orders and two upcoming track weekends have been cancelled.

His advice was to keep an eye on the rotors and if a crack extends and connects two holes or extends to the edge of the rotor, the rotor should be replaced immediately. Brakes are one of the most essential safety items on your car and it's always better to replace earlier rather than too late.

If you plan on replacing the rotors yourself I'd go ahead and order them now so that you have them on hand. Don't forget to order 4 rotor bolts with the rotors.

Appreciate 1
doug_9992541.50
      04-04-2020, 08:18 PM   #5
Poiseuille
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M4 DCT Tanzanite/Amaro

Garage List
  [0.00]
  [10.00]
sounds like whoever replaced your pads either didn't apply caliper grease (frequently called anti-squeal) to the backs of the pads and points of movement, or didn't do it right.
the 'squeal' you hear is actually VERY high frequency vibration from these parts, but no harm done, just remove the calipers and apply the grease. there's plenty on YouTube about this.
Appreciate 1
BMWM5NYC496.00
      04-05-2020, 03:49 AM   #6
Formermercowner
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by weytie View Post
Take of your wheel and punch out that baked brake dust in the holes. That's the reason why they start cracking, as the holes don't transfer any heat like that.
Both the rotors on the front axle have all the holes filled with break dust which seems kind of odd, I'll start with making sure that they aren't stuffed. Thx for the reply!
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2020, 03:56 AM   #7
weytie
Banned
Rep
Drives: BMW M4 F82 Competition

Quote:
Both the rotors on the front axle have all the holes filled with break dust which seems kind of odd, I'll start with making sure that they aren't stuffed. Thx for the reply!
And if you are in the possibility, do the back of the rotor aswell. At the back it will be the same i guess.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2020, 03:57 AM   #8
Formermercowner
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD ///M4 View Post
Quote:
How many miles on your car? What pads are you using? Do you track your car? If you do track your car, which pads do you use for the track?

That's a lot of pad dust in the holes. I've never seen that on my rotors. As mentioned above knocking out that dust would be the first step.

Putting a micrometer on the rotor is the best way to determine how thin the rotors are getting and if you get below the minimum thickness you should replace the rotors. From your picture you have quite a bit of ridge on the edge of the rotor.

I have a 2016 M4 that has 24 track days on it. All track days were done with Pagid RSL-29 pads and I've gone through two sets of those. My independent mechanic, who also tracks his car is recommending that I replace the rotors this year, but it's less of a need now since the car isn't driven due to stay-at-home orders and two upcoming track weekends have been cancelled.

His advice was to keep an eye on the rotors and if a crack extends and connects two holes or extends to the edge of the rotor, the rotor should be replaced immediately. Brakes are one of the most essential safety items on your car and it's always better to replace earlier rather than too late.

If you plan on replacing the rotors yourself I'd go ahead and order them now so that you have them on hand. Don't forget to order 4 rotor bolts with the rotors.
Quote:
Quote:

His advice was to keep an eye on the rotors and if a crack extends and connects two holes or extends to the edge of the rotor, the rotor should be replaced immediately. Brakes are one of the most essential safety items on your car and it's always better to replace earlier rather than to late.

The car has 4500 miles on it. I haven't tracked it yet but I've pushed the car pretty hard at som local twisty roads. I also find it weird that all if the holes are filled with break dust, but I will clean them.

You are right about the changing part, better safe than sorry. I've checked the rotors and the biggest crack is that in the picture, so there isn't any that are connected or extend to the edge of the rotors.

Sorry to hear that you must be isolated, I live in Sweden and we can move freely with our cars and I have a track session planned soon.

thank you for your reply!
Appreciate 1
SD ///M42992.00
      04-05-2020, 05:14 PM   #9
SD ///M4
///Multiple
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
The car has 4500 miles on it.
You must mean 45,000 miles! A 2015 with 4500 miles would be rare, and definitely wouldn't have that kind of rotor wear.

Appreciate 0
      04-06-2020, 03:55 AM   #10
Formermercowner
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
The car has 4500 miles on it.
You must mean 45,000 miles! A 2015 with 4500 miles would be rare, and definitely wouldn't have that kind of rotor wear.
I converted it to US miles and its 27961miles. 45000km
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2020, 12:56 PM   #11
SD ///M4
///Multiple
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I converted it to US miles and its 27961miles. 45000km
You must be hard on your brakes. That's a lot of wear on the rotor for ~28,000 miles.

Appreciate 0
      05-21-2020, 05:05 AM   #12
irshaadd
Registered
Rep
Drives: Bmw M4

Brake Squealing

I've got a similar problem with my M4, I've noticed a squealing sound coming from the passenger side wheel occasionally when I brake. I've checked the brake pad and it looks fine, so not sure what the issue is.
Appreciate 0