ARMA SPEED
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning

10-07-2021, 06:55 PM   #617
ogyousefm4
Registered
Rep
Drives: bmw m4 2018

my car keeps smoking whenever i stop it sweat smell looked in the intercooler empty assumed it was cracked replaved it car is still doing the same thing, what do you think it would be
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2021, 07:04 PM   #618
bvrider1
Captain
Rep
Drives: e90 m3 + f80 zcp

On the new replacement it still leaks?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ogyousefm4 View Post
my car keeps smoking whenever i stop it sweat smell looked in the intercooler empty assumed it was cracked replaved it car is still doing the same thing, what do you think it would be
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2021, 08:51 PM   #619
Matt Liang
Rep
Drives: Bmw F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by bvrider1 View Post

Quote:
Guys, quick check that if I add additional coolant much more over the ''maximum'' level, which almost fill up the reservoir, does it cause any harm to the vehicle?
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2021, 09:08 PM   #620
Jbonly21
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Bmw 15 F80, 2011 X5 35i, E46 M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Liang View Post
Quote:

Quote:
Guys, quick check that if I add additional coolant much more over the ''maximum'' level, which almost fill up the reservoir, does it cause any harm to the vehicle?
Yes, you need to leave some room for heat expansion. If you overfilled it, when the engine gets up to operating temperature and build up pressure that extra coolant will have to go somewhere, which puts extra stress on your coolant system.
      11-22-2021, 09:32 PM   #621
Matt Liang
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbonly21 View Post
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
Yes, you need to leave some room for heat expansion. If you overfilled it, when the engine gets up to operating temperature and build up pressure that extra coolant will have to go somewhere, which puts extra stress on your coolant system.
So, does the additional fluid evaporate over the cap to an ideal level controlled by system? Or it will remain in the reservoir keeping unpredicted pressure to the coolant system?
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2021, 11:40 AM   #622
Jbonly21
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Bmw 15 F80, 2011 X5 35i, E46 M

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbonly21 View Post
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
So, does the additional fluid evaporate over the cap to an ideal level controlled by system? Or it will remain in the reservoir keeping unpredicted pressure to the coolant system?
Keeps building pressure on the coolant system.
      11-23-2021, 02:50 PM   #623
Fat Goose
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 F83 ZCP 6MT | F/A-18E

I would suspect a large majority of the coolant reservoir failures (leaking, seaping) are due to too much coolant (above the max line) and the resultant excessive pressure build up.
Unfortunately after every service at the BMW dealership, they “top off” all the fluids and end up adding too much coolant. I ALWAYS am removing excess coolant from both reservoirs.
Appreciate 3
      11-25-2021, 11:25 PM   #624
Matt Liang
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Goose View Post
I would suspect a large majority of the coolant reservoir failures (leaking, seaping) are due to too much coolant (above the max line) and the resultant excessive pressure build up.
Unfortunately after every service at the BMW dealership, they “top off” all the fluids and end up adding too much coolant. I ALWAYS am removing excess coolant from both reservoirs.
Quote:
Unfortunately after every service at the BMW dealership, they "top off" all the fluids and end up adding too much coolant. I ALWAYS am removing excess coolant from both reservoirs.

This is the coolant level of mine now, is it still too much or it's good enough?

The coolant level is a tiny little bit over the Max level line
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      11-26-2021, 08:36 AM   #625
Fat Goose
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Unfortunately after every service at the BMW dealership, they "top off" all the fluids and end up adding too much coolant. I ALWAYS am removing excess coolant from both reservoirs.
Quote:

This is the coolant level of mine now, is it still too much or it's good enough?

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

With the engine cold, the coolant should not be any higher than the middle between Max and Min. Allows for temperature fluctuations.
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2021, 08:51 AM   #626
Drei3000
Rep
Drives: F82

Is the coolant color supposed to be clear/brownish? Noticed Mine was when upgrade it to CSF?
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2021, 10:33 AM   #627
jeremywag01
Rep
Drives: F80

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drei3000 View Post
Is the coolant color supposed to be clear/brownish? Noticed Mine was when upgrade it to CSF?
Mine was clear/brownish as well. Curious as to what others say.
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2021, 01:14 PM   #628
THEROK
Major
South Korea
Rep
Drives: Genesis GV80

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremywag01 View Post
Quote:
BMW factory coolant is an aqua green/bluish color.

Also keep an eye on weeping at seam coolant expansion tank. I've had two fail in two f80s bought new. It's a very slow leak over time so takes some convincing to get it replaced under warranty since the pressure test checks out ok.
      01-19-2022, 12:38 AM   #629
TopJimmy
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3 Comp xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremywag01 View Post
Quote:
Depends on age of your car. There was a Magenta coolant before they switched us to Blue. It was for easy recognition that it's "not green". The color also made it easy to know when it was flushed through (with Blue). I recall seeing a chart that allowed certain colors to be mixed and others not.
      02-20-2022, 10:56 AM   #630
anurak
Private
Thailand
Rep
Drives: M4 CS

This is happening to me too, mine seems to be very weird, at first I open the cap and see that the tank is empty and then I top it off.

I then try bleeding procedure and this foams starting to show up, not bubbles but literally white foams. After I park the car for half an hour, the white foams disappear, but it shows up again if I try bleeding the system.

So this can conclude that my main reservoir take is leaking? or Intercooler?

Appreciate 0
      05-11-2022, 01:24 PM   #631
trungnguyen28
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M3

Man this thread had me running to my car to check my coolant levels.

MY2015 55k miles.

My TMIC reservoir looks great. Nice and full.
My engine reservoir was empty though.

Should I be worried or just top off and continue my day?
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2022, 03:44 PM   #632
Fat Goose
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by trungnguyen28 View Post
Man this thread had me running to my car to check my coolant levels.

MY2015 55k miles.

My TMIC reservoir looks great. Nice and full.
My engine reservoir was empty though.

Should I be worried or just top off and continue my day?
Fill it up with some “distilled” water!
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2022, 10:34 AM   #633
ubeone
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW M4 CS - 2018

29k miles, 2018 M4 CS

Just got my intercooled replaced

Mechanic went inside with camera and saw cracks

Started with a drivetrain malfunction and leaking coolant

Lucky that insurance took it (1700 dollars for parts + work)
Appreciate 1
      06-19-2022, 09:21 AM   #634
Bettertomorrow
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2015 F83 M4

Fill tank

I think I saw two posts that talked about overflow tank showing white foam/bubble. I saw the same thing (image attached) with level near bottom end. It stayed on that level many months. I just added a bit of coolant, test drove and foam/bubble is gone.

Before adding coolant: Charge air temp was about 20-22 degree above ambient while cruising.

After adding coolant: Charge air temp was about 18-20 (saw as long as 14) degree above ambient while cruising.

I think if there is no leak, adding coolant can help with foaming. It looked like water was rushing through the tank and when the level was low, and it was causing it to foam up (many small bubbles). After adding coolant, I can see the water stream but no more foam/bubble.
Attached Images

15 BMW F83 M4, MHD Stage 2, CBC, xHP Stage 2, ADD W1 Catchcan, AA Single Mid, Eibach Pro, 12.5mm spacers, BMC drop-in with charcoal removed, other misc/cosmetics (Alpha 1 speakers, all exterior LED light bulbs, ambient light upgrade-center console/doors, Hardwired Garmin Dashcam)
15 BMW X3 x35i
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2022, 12:25 PM   #635
NickyC
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: M4 CS. Former G82, x2 F82, F80

Quick question, if intercooler/reservoir tank replacement is needed (heat exchanger not included), does the system need to be bled when coolant is added or no? Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2022, 01:49 PM   #636
WeekendWarriorz
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z4M

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickyC View Post
Quick question, if intercooler/reservoir tank replacement is needed (heat exchanger not included), does the system need to be bled when coolant is added or no? Thanks.
Depends on how much fluid is lost/air has gotten in. Wouldn't hurt to do it either way
2021 M2 Competition DCT Hockenheim Silver
Appreciate 1
NickyC17356.00
      06-19-2022, 09:22 PM   #637
BzsBimmer
Major General
Rep
Drives: '23 G80 FO M3, M3 & MY Tezzy's

I would do it either way
Appreciate 1
NickyC17356.00
      07-23-2022, 05:48 PM   #638
BGut12
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeekendWarriorz View Post
Here's an update to the OP's car. Almost two years later the replacement charge air cooler failed again. The car is at 42k miles and on its second charge air cooler.

Codes found via MHD include:
108C01- Charge air temperature, plausibility:temperature too high
120408- Charging pressure control: Switch-off as consequential reaction
20A201- Charge air, cooling system: Dry-run detected
i just got these same codes when pulling up my codes on MHD. so this pretty much means my tmic is screwed and i should upgrade? or what else do i need to do? did coolant more than likely leak into the intake manifold like your original post? i don't know what to do, any help appreciated. i will check the j pipe and coolant level once i'm home after the weekend to see what's going on but i can't right now, just worried.