GetBMWParts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications

10-20-2017, 10:09 AM   #1
itrocks4u
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80, F36, E90

No drill license plate option? Carbonio.com

Hi all

I know we all continue to look for options where we don't need to drill holes in the front bumper. I'm currently using the usmillworks towhook which works great but it is on the side. Another option is the Sto n Sho but I think you still have to drill holes under.

I noticed another one here Carbonio.com:

https://www.carbonio.com/BMW_M2_M3_M...m-bmw-m2-6.htm

It looks like this does not need any holes to be drilled and can be aligned in the centre. Has anyone tried is yet?

I can't tell from the videos if (1) it blocks airflow (2) is it strong enough to go through car wash and (3) can it be mounted with license plate frame.

I'm thinking of trying it out if I get a chance to pick it up this week. But wanted to see if anyone else has tried it yet?

UPDATE: Based on my discussions with the seller:

(1) Does it block airflow: This bracket has been tested at high speed and in extreme heat. The placement of the mount in no way affects cooling.

(2) Is it strong enough to go through car wash: The mount has been tested through various car washes without problems. That said there are always variations so our instructions urge users to exercise care and remove the mount if you are not sure.

(3) Can it be mounted with license plate frame: The mount works with any license plate frame or cover. Getting back to the previous point, fitting a license plate frame or cover that borders the whole plate will greatly increase the plate strength through a car wash. The mount itself is plenty strong.

Last edited by itrocks4u; 10-20-2017 at 02:32 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2017, 07:54 PM   #2
Professor///M
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3, 2022 X5 40i;

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by itrocks4u View Post
Hi all

I know we all continue to look for options where we don't need to drill holes in the front bumper. I'm currently using the usmillworks towhook which works great but it is on the side. Another option is the Sto n Sho but I think you still have to drill holes under.

It looks like this does not need any holes to be drilled and can be aligned in the centre. Has anyone tried is yet?

I can't tell from the videos if (1) it blocks airflow (2) is it strong enough to go through car wash and (3) can it be mounted with license plate frame.

I'm thinking of trying it out if I get a chance to pick it up this week. But wanted to see if anyone else has tried it yet?

(1) Does it block airflow: This bracket has been tested at high speed and in extreme heat. The placement of the mount in no way affects cooling.

(2) Is it strong enough to go through car wash: The mount has been tested through various car washes without problems. That said there are always variations so our instructions urge users to exercise care and remove the mount if you are not sure.

(3) Can it be mounted with license plate frame: The mount works with any license plate frame or cover. Getting back to the previous point, fitting a license plate frame or cover that borders the whole plate will greatly increase the plate strength through a car wash. The mount itself is plenty strong.

This is a great alternative. My only worry is that the black plastic grille is relatively flimsy, and I've had mine broken just with routine driving (must have been a rock) on my e90.

Very intuitive design. Great find!
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2017, 12:41 PM   #3
OchoChino
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 21' M8 Competition Gran Coupe

Quote:
Hi all

Would you be interested in selling your usmillworks tow hook mount?
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2017, 01:06 PM   #4
Draper
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M4 Comp / Macan Turbo

Interesting...I wasn't aware the lower grill was structural, but it seems it may actually have some substantial mounting clips along the top edge which could keep it secure.
Attached Images

10-27-2017, 10:51 AM   #5
itrocks4u
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by OchoChino View Post
Yea lol - but you're in NY. It might be cheaper just getting it from the guys directly? But in any case, I'll msg you when I take it off.
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2017, 11:26 AM   #6
OchoChino
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 21' M8 Competition Gran Coupe

Quote:
Yea lol - but you're in NY. It might be cheaper just getting it from the guys directly? But in any case, I'll msg you when I take it off.
Seems that it's $125 USD.. way too expensive for me at the moment.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2017, 08:01 AM   #7
Professor///M
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3, 2022 X5 40i;

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by OchoChino View Post
PM me if you want USMillworks one. mine's sitting on the floor unused
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2017, 12:29 PM   #8
Rik84
Full Potato
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2015 F80 M3

Just grab the rentech toe hook mount. I’ve had it for 2 years with zero issues. Works great.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2018, 12:25 AM   #9
CoolBreeze
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2001 525i; 2017 530 ix; 2018 M

The Sto and Sho use the existing holes/screws located under the air dam.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2018, 03:05 AM   #10
joooiiiiii
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M3 ZCP

Quote:
Hi all

Hm, I might actually order this. However, I drive on the autobahn so...I hope it holds up being that it's attached to the plastic grille.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2018, 01:09 PM   #11
hlothery
Seeking mental floss
Rep
Drives: 2022 Mercedes EQS 450+

Respectfully, I just don't get this. All the cars of all types I've seen with a front license plate which is not drilled look like crap, IMHO. They are off center in the tow hook position, sometimes crooked on the car, sometimes look like they are velcro'd on, and do not look good at all. They definitely detract from the beauty of the car. My drilled front finder, by contrast, is centered and looks at least symmetrical. Seems to me the choice is to either take your chances and violate the law and not display one, or do it right. Just my opinion, again, respectfully submitted.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2018, 01:50 PM   #12
Parabolica
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: '18 M3 ZCP 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by hlothery View Post
Respectfully, I just don't get this. All the cars of all types I've seen with a front license plate which is not drilled look like crap, IMHO. They are off center in the tow hook position, sometimes crooked on the car, sometimes look like they are velcro'd on, and do not look good at all. They definitely detract from the beauty of the car. My drilled front finder, by contrast, is centered and looks at least symmetrical. Seems to me the choice is to either take your chances and violate the law and not display one, or do it right. Just my opinion, again, respectfully submitted.
Its true. I spent the last few weeks trying to determine which type of relocation plate adapator I should buy. Finally got a tow hook cover and it looks all crooked, out of place, and sets the PDC sensors off. Time to go back to square one and drill two holes in the bumper and be done with it.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2018, 04:34 PM   #13
marvinp
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 M3, '09 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by hlothery View Post
I use Carbonio's license plate holder and it's worked great so far. It's centered, requires no drilling and it's sturdy. The other day I hit a tumbleweed, which bent the license plate but did not affect the Carbonio license plate holder or my grill. When I drop my car off for detailing, I can easily take it off and store it in the car. Carbonio's solution is the best no drill solution I've seen so far.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2018, 08:12 PM   #14
FR00ZN
Private
Rep
Drives: F80 BMW M3

Try the 3M Dual Lock. Not the hook and loop type

One side sticks onto your bumper (easy to remove if ever selling the car) and the other on the back of your licence plate.

Have had this for 18 months and never an issue. It actually holds really well, because of the dual lock design, it doesn't matter if it gets wet and dirt doesn't really stick in there. Makes it really easy to remove the plates for cleaning the car, front and back, plus no bolts in the plate gives a clean look (if you pay that much attention )

Only downside is if some ass hat decides he wants to steal your plates, then it isn't bolted on so its easy, but how often does that happen?

Anyway - this was my hack and cheapo way but works well for me thus far
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-18-2018, 12:48 PM   #15
ellipsis212
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3

Garage List
2018 BMW M3  [0.00]
I just bought one of these Carbonio mounts on a whim after finding out about it in this thread. I've tried two others previously that were tow-hook mounts and they both set off my PDC no matter where I put the plate. The Carbonio mount is easy to attach, adjust, and is very high quality overall. It appears to be completely sturdy with no risk to the plastic grille because it grips it securely in multiple places, plus you get the option of how high/low to put it and how far in/out you want the plate as well as the angle to the road. Lastly it's compatible with my stainless black ///M plate frame.

I honestly have no issue with the price because (1) it solves a problem I've been trying to deal with for a while and (2) they spared no expense on the design or manufacturing.

Get one!
Appreciate 1
      01-18-2018, 12:51 PM   #16
BIGW0RM
You got my money?
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Ice Cream Truck

Garage List
2022 BMW M3  [9.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellipsis212 View Post
I just bought one of these Carbonio mounts on a whim after finding out about it in this thread. I've tried two others previously that were tow-hook mounts and they both set off my PDC no matter where I put the plate. The Carbonio mount is easy to attach, adjust, and is very high quality overall. It appears to be completely sturdy with no risk to the plastic grille because it grips it securely in multiple places, plus you get the option of how high/low to put it and how far in/out you want the plate as well as the angle to the road. Lastly it's compatible with my stainless black ///M plate frame.

I honestly have no issue with the price because (1) it solves a problem I've been trying to deal with for a while and (2) they spared no expense on the design or manufacturing.

Get one!
All you had to do was add a circle sticker or any sticker or tape over the PDC the plate is blocking and it wont go off anymore on THAT sensor. I used a round vinyl sticker.
      01-18-2018, 01:39 PM   #17
itrocks4u
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGW0RM View Post
All you had to do was add a circle sticker or any sticker or tape over the PDC the plate is blocking and it wont go off anymore on THAT sensor. I used a round vinyl sticker.
But then that PDC sensor wouldn't work anymore?
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2018, 01:41 PM   #18
BIGW0RM
You got my money?
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Ice Cream Truck

Garage List
2022 BMW M3  [9.50]
Quote:
But then that PDC sensor wouldn't work anymore?
Just the one you block wont register a big RED zone. The rest will work fine.
      01-18-2018, 03:54 PM   #19
ellipsis212
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
So blocking the sensor that's blocked unblocks it?

If only I had known that a couple weeks ago - good option for those of you still dealing with PDC sensor BS.

Now that I'm $125 into this new one I'm going to stick to it although I must say I had become accustomed to the look of the offset tow hook mount.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2018, 09:31 AM   #20
itrocks4u
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I don't know man, I like the sensors working.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2018, 09:32 AM   #21
itrocks4u
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:

If only I had known that a couple weeks ago - good option for those of you still dealing with PDC sensor BS.

Now that I'm $125 into this new one I'm going to stick to it although I must say I had become accustomed to the look of the offset tow hook mount.
This just it. I've started to like the tow hook one.

But I bought this too and I don't mind checking out how it looks in the centre for a while. From testing it out, it looks like pretty easy to put it on and take it off.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2018, 10:08 AM   #22
ellipsis212
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:

This just it. I've started to like the tow hook one.

But I bought this too and I don't mind checking out how it looks in the centre for a while. From testing it out, it looks like pretty easy to put it on and take it off.
Yep, just the thumb screw in the center and it's on or off in seconds.
Appreciate 0