Coby Wheel
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications

05-04-2018, 01:13 AM   #1
M4lifestyle
Private
Rep
Drives: M4

Carbon fiber replica parts

Any of you used carbon fiber replica parts?

I know OEM should be better but is it that visible? Or the durability is that much of a different?

Any comment welcome. I am looking into buying trunk lip, diffuser, front lip and side skirt. Maybe side mirror cover too.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2018, 02:41 AM   #2
Yachtmaster
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3

there's a thread on ebay parts/cf, should find more info and reviews on parts. basically it comes down to the vendor, some have better quality check than others. fitment/weave quality etc. usually going with reputable seller is ideal.

currently i only have OEM CF parts on the f80, in the past owned a replica m4 style spoiler purchased off the forum ~$150. honestly compared to oem, you can really only tell quality difference if you look up close, and even then difference is minimal in weave quality, and fitment should be close (usually not as good as oem), but close enough to do the job. this all depends of on the vendor also and there is a wide range of prices for replica - from ebay for a spoiler $100 to mode carbon $300-500+ . all depends what you are willing to pay and what you're looking for. i try to go for OEM as a first choice (usually you can find great deals on the forum for parts below retail in the classified) and 2nd choice would be aftermarket, especially if the part isn't made from BMW (i.e. m4 style spoiler for f80)

The quality of replica parts have definitely evolved over the years. At a fraction of the price, sometimes 1/4 of the price vs. oem, it's definitely a reasonable consideration if you never plan on having your car a show car and trying to be cost effective. even then, many show cars have replica/aftermarket parts.

I'm currently on the fence myself for a GTS hood, $5k painted from my local dealer or quoted $2.4k painted for a replica GTS hood. Leaning toward the replica and dropping the rest of the cash on a new set of HRE's.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2018, 04:25 PM   #3
M4lifestyle
Private
Rep
Drives: M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpsupreme View Post
there's a thread on ebay parts/cf, should find more info and reviews on parts. basically it comes down to the vendor, some have better quality check than others. fitment/weave quality etc. usually going with reputable seller is ideal.

currently i only have OEM CF parts on the f80, in the past owned a replica m4 style spoiler purchased off the forum ~$150. honestly compared to oem, you can really only tell quality difference if you look up close, and even then difference is minimal in weave quality, and fitment should be close (usually not as good as oem), but close enough to do the job. this all depends of on the vendor also and there is a wide range of prices for replica - from ebay for a spoiler $100 to mode carbon $300-500+ . all depends what you are willing to pay and what you're looking for. i try to go for OEM as a first choice (usually you can find great deals on the forum for parts below retail in the classified) and 2nd choice would be aftermarket, especially if the part isn't made from BMW (i.e. m4 style spoiler for f80)

The quality of replica parts have definitely evolved over the years. At a fraction of the price, sometimes 1/4 of the price vs. oem, it's definitely a reasonable consideration if you never plan on having your car a show car and trying to be cost effective. even then, many show cars have replica/aftermarket parts.

I'm currently on the fence myself for a GTS hood, $5k painted from my local dealer or quoted $2.4k painted for a replica GTS hood. Leaning toward the replica and dropping the rest of the cash on a new set of HRE's.
You got my point! I look into replicas not cause I cannot affort oem its cause is it worth it. If only that little differences I would go replicas. Unless its like it will lose its color in a year or so kind of diff you know.
Appreciate 0