ARMA SPEED
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance (Wash/Wax/Detailing/Exterior Restoration & Repairs)

03-06-2021, 05:59 PM   #23
fiveohwblow
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: E70, E46 M3, F82

Quote:
Originally Posted by swagon View Post
Do I know the celebrity? How much did you pay for the provenance?

And thanks for the thread, had no idea so much dirt accumulates in this area.
White federal cop in breaking bad series. Don’t know if you know him LOL.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2021, 01:42 PM   #24
Morgen Black
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 AW BMW M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by horsepower_and_hounds View Post
When I dropped mine this is what fell out.... and there was more on round 2 cleaning. Car cane from Salt Lake City Utah. There is still so much gravel stuck in the cooler I might change it if I get any hi temp faults this summer
Is that a Murder Hornet I see on the ground?! lol

MB
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2021, 07:26 AM   #25
horsepower_and_hounds
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 M4 BSM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiveohwblow View Post
White federal cop in breaking bad series. Donít know if you know him LOL.
Too funny..... mine was owned by Trevor Booker
      03-15-2021, 06:06 AM   #26
Discordia
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 Comp Sakhir Orange

LOL. I was replacing a couple of the little plastic grilles in my bumper. Dropped the bumper (fender) to get to the back of them, then found that didn't help. You know the ones I mean! Damn, am I glad I did, though. I was horrified by how much crap was in there. Mine was WAY worse than any of yours! The previous owner must have lived in a forest or on a farm or something (a farm in a forest?). The oil cooler was completely buried and can't have been working at at all and there was so much shit between the charge cooler and main rads I had to drop the charge cooler one out to get it all out. The dirt had set like a kind of mortar. Took me hours to clean it all out and I ended up with like a mud bank around the front of the car. And then more hours straightening and clearing all the cooling fins. The aux rads in the wheel arches were just as bad.

Anyway, what I wanted to say was I found something really useful to help with this. I have this brush that looks like a wire brush but the bristles are made of plastic. It was part of a set I bought years ago and I never found a use for it before. Dunno why I kept it, really. Glad I did, though. It's really useful for getting that sandy stuff out that's set like mortar without damaging the cooling fins. All the rads are clear(er) now and I can sleep at night.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2021, 06:08 AM   #27
Discordia
United Kingdom
Rep

I really don't think you can do this job properly without removing the bumper, though. leaves is only part of the problem and not the worst of it, either. There's no way I could have blown that crap out of mine without ripping all the cooling fins out in the process.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2021, 06:48 PM   #28
dms-01
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Discordia View Post
I really don't think you can do this job properly without removing the bumper, though. leaves is only part of the problem and not the worst of it, either. There's no way I could have blown that crap out of mine without ripping all the cooling fins out in the process.
Nah you don't need to remove the bumper to clean it out. Maybe make it a little easier but not required IMHO.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2021, 03:47 PM   #29
jpy1980
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M3 -Smurfy Blue Vinyl

Have any of your considered upgrading to the mishimoto unit once you take this one off to clean? I'm considering it as it looks to be a fairly robust unit.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2021, 04:09 PM   #30
BzsBimmer
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 F80 M3 & 2019 X7

Iíve considered it but tbh didnít really see a need since the OEM is pretty efficient even with all the crap inside. The Mishi unit wonít prevent any less crap buildup me thinks and Iím not driving it heavy enough to warrant extra cooling.

Maybe those track die hards will have a better reason to upgrade or replace.
Appreciate 1
jpy19801342.00

03-19-2021, 08:47 AM   #31
Discordia
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dms-01 View Post
Nah you don't need to remove the bumper to clean it out. Maybe make it a little easier but not required IMHO.
So, how would you advocate removing the leaves and compacted dirt from between the gearbox cooler and main rads? It was packed and you couldn't even see it. I wouldn't even have known it was there if the amount of stuff everywhere else hadn't prompted me to take a closer look. I had to drop the gearbox cooler and, to do that I had to drop the oil cooler, which was completely buried under half an inch of dirt that had set like concrete. There's no way I could have cleaned all this with the bumper on.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2021, 01:06 PM   #32
dms-01
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Discordia View Post
So, how would you advocate removing the leaves and compacted dirt from between the gearbox cooler and main rads? It was packed and you couldn't even see it. I wouldn't even have known it was there if the amount of stuff everywhere else hadn't prompted me to take a closer look. I had to drop the gearbox cooler and, to do that I had to drop the oil cooler, which was completely buried under half an inch of dirt that had set like concrete. There's no way I could have cleaned all this with the bumper on.
Don't?
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2021, 02:48 PM   #33
wuzhatning
Rep
Drives: 2018 F82 M4 COUPE

Thanks for all the insights I was curious to know how to remove them leaves
Appreciate 0