Autotalent
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning

04-20-2021, 05:57 PM   #45
slaughter.mode
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M4 Competition

Garage List
2018 BMW M4 ZCP  [9.80]

Sigh...
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2021, 08:16 PM   #46
prodigal77
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2016 YMB F82 6MT

Disclaimer: engine bay is dirty, will be detailing it hopefully this weekend. Mine was just installed, shop said there were no issues whatsoever.

Review:
Looks: 10/10 Everything looks excellent!

Sound: 10/10- With the windows down slightly in efficient mode, full throttle you can definitely hear the whoosh and then discharge of air when you lift off the throttle. Almost sounds like a turbosmart blow off valve. With windows up or in sports mode you can barely hear it if at all. This is exactly what I wanted; some induction noise when I felt like it but not something intrusive in anyway.

Power: If you are expecting power increase from intakes, I have some
oceanfront property in Nevada you may be interested in. Plus my butt dyno is way out of calibration.

Thanks again to Ghost for the heads up on this.
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
Nothing285.00
Twistm4199.50
      04-20-2021, 08:22 PM   #47
hellokitty
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 M3 ZCP DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by prodigal77 View Post
Disclaimer: engine bay is dirty, will be detailing it hopefully this weekend. Mine was just installed, shop said there were no issues whatsoever.

Review:

Sound: 10/10- With the windows down slightly in efficient mode, full throttle you can definitely hear the whoosh and then discharge of air when you lift off the throttle. Almost sounds like a turbosmart blow off valve. With windows up or in sports mode you can barely hear it if at all. This is exactly what I wanted; some induction noise when I felt like it but not something intrusive in anyway.

oceanfront property in Nevada you may be interested in. Plus my butt dyno is way out of calibration.

Amazing. Thank you for sharing.

Can you comment on the clearance of the left intake box and how much room there is left for the charge pipe?

I am getting ready to upgrade my CP and I am worried that the Forge box may not clear some of the metal/enlarged pipes around the side of the engine near the turbo.
2017 F80 M3 ZCP / AA GESI DPs / Akrapovic Evo / BBS FI-R 19" / Bend Calibration ECUTEK Flex Fuel | Bilstein B16 DDC + CS EDC / BMC Filters / BMS OCC / CSF HE / ESS CP / Nitto NT555R2 / PD Crank Hub / SPL Suspension / Uniden R7 / Wagner Top Mount IC

2021 Mini GP3 / BMC Filters / BM3 / Cary Jordan E30 / Wagner IC / Remus Race
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2021, 08:32 PM   #48
apar
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:

Review:

Looks good! I'm in SD as well. If you go to any of the cars and coffee meets let me know, I'd love to check it out for myself. Thank you!!
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2021, 08:48 PM   #49
prodigal77
Private First Class
Rep

Thank you..you will love it. I will go check later regarding CP clearance

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellokitty View Post
Amazing. Thank you for sharing.

Can you comment on the clearance of the left intake box and how much room there is left for the charge pipe?

I am getting ready to upgrade my CP and I am worried that the Forge box may not clear some of the metal/enlarged pipes around the side of the engine near the turbo.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2021, 08:50 PM   #50
prodigal77
Private First Class
Rep

Thanks! I have not been to one but I will try to make it out to the next one if someone posts about it in our SD thread. If not we can meet up somewhere if you want. Take care and see you around hopefully.

Quote:
Originally Posted by apar View Post
Looks good! I'm in SD as well. If you go to any of the cars and coffee meets let me know, I'd love to check it out for myself. Thank you!!
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2021, 10:02 AM   #51
ByeFelicia
Captain
Rep
Drives: F80

Quote:

Review:

If you can provide a video of sound, please do so
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2021, 07:14 AM   #52
slaughter.mode
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M4 Competition

Garage List
2018 BMW M4 ZCP  [9.80]
My buddy who just got his installed said it sounded more or less identical to his Eventuri setup with the whole whooshing / artificial BoV noise. I also asked for a video clip. Problem is it's hard to capture without a high def mic.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2021, 10:40 PM   #53
Nothing
Roll Tide
United_States
Rep
Drives: White/red M3

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nothing View Post
That looks great but why isn't there a clip for the coolant line? I honestly can't stand when these aftermarket companies cut corners. The clip is there from the factory and I'd like it to be on $800 intakes as well.
I just looked at this some further and compared the designs that I know of that uses CF box housings.

AWE Tuning does not appear to have the clip on their CF airbox either. The one that does is made by Gruppe M.

After comparing the Forge, AWE and Gruppe M, I think I understand why Forge and AWE may not want the coolant line running down the side of the inlet pipe. IMO, it does not flow well against the carbon fiber, which is why I think this was an intentional part of their design, rather than an oversight.

However, I don't see why they could not have made the clip hidden for a clean tuck. Maybe there was clearance issues or some other reason.
Eventuri also offers the clip for the coolant line.

The issue isn't the aesthetics, it's got to do with the intake being in the identical mounting spot for the N55 and it doesn't have the coolant line for the charge cooler. So far, every company I've found that offers an N55 intake puts the N55 intake in the S55 box with the passenger side intake and ships it.

The oil cooler and engine get hot and a portion of that line sinks down from its own weight & heat and rubs on the oil cooler. A lot of people shrug this off but it bugs me.

If I knew of a way to add on a clip, I would. However you usually see aluminum intakes and I can't find an aluminum clip to get my local shop to welded one. I already found a guy that could weld aluminum, can't find a clip. And no idea how you'd get this to work on a CF intake other than drill it out and thread something in.
      04-24-2021, 01:30 AM   #54
dpgfunk
Captain
Rep
Drives: F82 M4

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
That looks great but why isn't there a clip for the coolant line? I honestly can't stand when these aftermarket companies cut corners. The clip is there from the factory and I'd like it to be on $800 intakes as well.
I just looked at this some further and compared the designs that I know of that uses CF box housings.

AWE Tuning does not appear to have the clip on their CF airbox either. The one that does is made by Gruppe M.

After comparing the Forge, AWE and Gruppe M, I think I understand why Forge and AWE may not want the coolant line running down the side of the inlet pipe. IMO, it does not flow well against the carbon fiber, which is why I think this was an intentional part of their design, rather than an oversight.

However, I don't see why they could not have made the clip hidden for a clean tuck. Maybe there was clearance issues or some other reason.
Eventuri also offers the clip for the coolant line.

The issue isn't the aesthetics, it's got to do with the intake being in the identical mounting spot for the N55 and it doesn't have the coolant line for the charge cooler. So far, every company I've found that offers an N55 intake puts the N55 intake in the S55 box with the passenger side intake and ships it.

The oil cooler and engine get hot and a portion of that line sinks down from its own weight & heat and rubs on the oil cooler. A lot of people shrug this off but it bugs me.

If I knew of a way to add on a clip, I would. However you usually see aluminum intakes and I can't find an aluminum clip to get my local shop to welded one. I already found a guy that could weld aluminum, can't find a clip. And no idea how you'd get this to work on a CF intake other than drill it out and thread something in.
+1

For the record, the Dinan CF intake has the coolant line clip as well. My OCD was triggered while intake shopping when I noticed how many companies overlooked this.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2021, 10:07 AM   #55
hellokitty
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpgfunk View Post
+1

For the record, the Dinan CF intake has the coolant line clip as well. My OCD was triggered while intake shopping when I noticed how many companies overlooked this.
Perhaps someone here can find a C clip and mount it to the tube somehow
2017 F80 M3 ZCP / AA GESI DPs / Akrapovic Evo / BBS FI-R 19" / Bend Calibration ECUTEK Flex Fuel | Bilstein B16 DDC + CS EDC / BMC Filters / BMS OCC / CSF HE / ESS CP / Nitto NT555R2 / PD Crank Hub / SPL Suspension / Uniden R7 / Wagner Top Mount IC

Appreciate 0
      04-25-2021, 12:20 AM   #56
hellokitty
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Here are some pics from my install

View post on imgur.com

Appreciate 0
      04-25-2021, 05:29 AM   #57
Weytens
Private
Rep
Drives: M4

Just to bad they did not clearcoat the inside of the air guides. Should have look better then just raw carbon fiber
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2021, 06:57 AM   #58
rmanm4
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW M4 F82

Garage List
2020 BMW M4  [0.00]
Quote:
Here are some pics from my install

View post on imgur.com
How do you like it? Sound? Any improvement in throttle response?
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2021, 10:32 AM   #59
hellokitty
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmanm4 View Post
How do you like it? Sound? Any improvement in throttle response?
Slight improvement in throttle response. You can hear the typical induction and blow off noises at moderate throttle. However if you have an exhaust, you likely won't hear much of these noises unless you have your valves closed.

My summary is this:

1) No carbon intake is worth north of $1,600. If you can get a USED Eventuri, this is the way to go. I think all of these intakes have their drawbacks whether it be quality, fitment, etc. except for Eventuri which I've heard fits the best and is the market leader for a reason.

2) I would have not purchased this intake at full price (or any other CF intake for that matter - think Dinan, AWE, GruppeM, etc.). The only intake I would consider purchasing at full price would be Eventuri since they cannot be matched in terms of fitment and build quality. That is their bread and butter so as a company, they NEED to get it right if they are going to sell enough units to make a profit at the premium price point.

3) The coolant line clip issue appears to be overstated. The coolant line will stay where it sat before unless you force it downwards by pushing it down and tucking it in. The line itself is not flimsy so it will not droop nor will it get closer to touching the oil filter housing without the clips in place. I am going to try some high-temp 3M double-sided tape and slice a tiny piece to hold the line in place where it would normally go on the inlet pipe.

Appreciate 1
guess2098516.00
      04-27-2021, 05:37 PM   #60
Weytens
Private
Rep
Drives: M4

Installed it today, and ran into some serious issues with this kit :

1) the bolt for mounting the MAF sensor on the smallest intake are just too short. They are only the length of the thickness of the sensor
Also on 1 tube the bolt for the Maf sensor are M3 bolt, on the larger M4 bolts.

2) on the top cover of the short intake the rivet nut for mounting the cover to the chassis is missing

3) the inner carbon cover i had to trim quite a bit to fit properly, it also was touching the cable loom

4) they make such a wonderfull intake tube, en then they attach the piece where you connect the pipe with yellow glue ...

5) the brackets on the air scoops were mounted wrong. If i should have mounted the the way they came in, you even wouldn't be able to mount the kidney grilles into the bumper

Last edited by Weytens; 04-27-2021 at 05:43 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2021, 06:24 PM   #61
hellokitty
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weytens View Post
Installed it today, and ran into some serious issues with this kit :

1) the bolt for mounting the MAF sensor on the smallest intake are just too short. They are only the length of the thickness of the sensor
Also on 1 tube the bolt for the Maf sensor are M3 bolt, on the larger M4 bolts.

2) on the top cover of the short intake the rivet nut for mounting the cover to the chassis is missing

3) the inner carbon cover i had to trim quite a bit to fit properly, it also was touching the cable loom

4) they make such a wonderfull intake tube, en then they attach the piece where you connect the pipe with yellow glue ...

5) the brackets on the air scoops were mounted wrong. If i should have mounted the the way they came in, you even wouldn't be able to mount the kidney grilles into the bumper
Thanks for sharing. I also had the same issue with the MAF sensor bolts being too short and had to source longer ones. I also placed silicone around the long intake pipe since the hole was too big for the MAF sensor to sit on without maintaining a proper seal.

Regarding (3), (4), (5) - COMPLETELY agree with you. I didn't fix (3) since I thought it would be ok in the long-run. (4) yup that is stupid and (5) mine were mounted the wrong way as well.

Appreciate 0
      05-13-2021, 04:30 PM   #62
rmanm4
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW M4  [0.00]
@hellokitty prodigal77

Can we get a update on the intake?

Any issues? Any errors or need to reset adaptation?
Any rough idle issues?
Overall worth it or not much over stock?
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2021, 09:03 PM   #63
Frözpeed
Klappe zu, Affe tot
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 Frozen White M4 ZCP 6MT

Garage List
2018 BMW M4  [10.00]
So I installed this with a buddy a few weeks ago, and I can report I encountered some of the same issues as above including a big issue no one else has reported with theirs. The large pipe in my kit had some kind of large delamination/flash that resembled a film and a couple large resin stalagmites on the inside of the pipe in the center. I tried to remove them with a brush or anything I could, but they wouldn't move. I was concerned they could come loose and go into the turbo, so I contacted Forge. The UK office promptly sent out a new pipe (with some extra swag) which was perfect. A big thumbs up to the Forge Motorsports customer service!

With all that being said, I LOVE the sound. I can really hear the turbos spool now, even with the windows up. Also, the WG boost release sound when coming off the throttle is quite noticeable and sounds pretty sweet. No idle issues or any kind of error after about two weeks of use.

As far as performance, it's an intake. No noticeable gain as expected. But it sure sounds sweet and looks amazing.

At $800, it was definitely worth it. Not sure if I would have paid $1600 retail for any intake, and if I would I would likely have spent a bit more and gotten Eventuri. But I am very happy with this intake at the price point I paid.

IG: frozen_white_m4
Appreciate 1
rmanm4870.50
      05-13-2021, 09:13 PM   #64
rmanm4
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW M4  [0.00]
I'm getting ready to finally install this intake and would like to know what is needed outside of what comes in the box. My city is in a Covid lockdown so getting things from auto shop or hardware store is hard.

I would greatly appreciate a list of things like what size of bolt/nuts or gasket maker needed.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2021, 09:32 PM   #65
Frözpeed
Klappe zu, Affe tot
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 Frozen White M4 ZCP 6MT

Garage List
2018 BMW M4  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmanm4 View Post
I'm getting ready to finally install this intake and would like to know what is needed outside of what comes in the box. My city is in a Covid lockdown so getting things from auto shop or hardware store is hard.

I would greatly appreciate a list of things like what size of bolt/nuts or gasket maker needed.
We had to get some M3 bolts and longer M4 bolts as well. Oddly enough, my replacement long pipe used M3 bolts like the smaller one, while the one that came in my kit originally had used M4 bolts.

My MAFs fit snugly on all of my pipes, so I didn't need any sealant.

IG: frozen_white_m4
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2021, 09:39 PM   #66
rmanm4
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW M4  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frözpeed View Post
We had to get some M3 bolts and longer M4 bolts as well. Oddly enough, my replacement long pipe used M3 bolts like the smaller one, while the one that came in my kit originally had used M4 bolts.

My MAFs fit snugly on all of my pipes, so I didn't need any sealant.
Thank you. I ordered a M3/M4/M5 bolt set from Amazon just o be safe.

Last edited by rmanm4; 05-13-2021 at 09:47 PM..
Appreciate 0