European Auto Source (EAS)
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning

Closed Thread

07-19-2018, 11:05 AM   #111
BMWcurious
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Various BMWs

To do flex fuel you need to get a signal into the DME. The F80 DME does not have the spare inputs of others, so you would be best to go in through CAN bus so you need a device to convert the flex fuel sensor output to CAN. Then you would have to add new code to the DME on a new CAN bus protocol with all the appropriate error checks and a fallback.

Then you have to modify the control code in the DME to blend all the necessary tables by factors depending on ethanol content which are different for fuel, timing and load.

You have to find space in the DME for and expose the new tables for tuning. Then you have to do it for the versions you want to cover. You also have to provide datalogging for the flex fuel content and blending values.
Appreciate 2
qmp123.50
      07-19-2018, 01:22 PM   #112
M4_CaptFlashheart
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M4 2018

is that all??
Appreciate 1
Lerxst M4142.00
      07-19-2018, 01:32 PM   #113
AMOR
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F90

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenFlash View Post
What am I doing at 3am? I'm testing the robustness of the ECU write procedures both our F80 and F10. Tomorrow night I will be testing the automatic OTS tune file generation and databank search functions. Just because the OTS tune files are mostly done, doesn't mean we don't have many things to test/refine before public release later this month. During the days we are usually test driving, on the dyno or answering emails We try to sleep someone in the middle.

We ship OFTs all over the world, everyday. So no problem shipping to UK directly.
Hi, could you please reply to my previous message?
Just trying to find out if this tune will give a tamper code as with other flash tunes offered by other vendors? Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2018, 10:05 PM   #114
BzsBimmer
Major General
Rep
Drives: '23 G80 FO M3, M3 & MY Tezzy's

Quote:
Some news for you guys:

Introductory price for F series M3/M4 OFT2 will be $499. Those who have older OFT (OFT1) can send them in to us to be updated for M3/M4 support for FREE. All our OTS tune files will also be available for FREE. User tuning software will also be available, upon request, for FREE.
What did I miss? The introductory price does not match your $499 list
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2018, 11:14 PM   #115
Dr._Who
Banned
Rep
Drives: Tardis

Hey again!

Quote:
We have access to just about all the OEM calibration files. So we can certainly make compatible tune files based on these OEM calibrations.
I'm not sure if this has been properly answered but, just to be sure, will you offer the OE BMW Maps:

Why would you have to make "compatible" files?

* Stock (obviously - saved on the initial boot up/connection)
* ZCP
* CS
* GTS

And, Not being facetious, just ignorant - What are "OTS" Tunes?

"Off The Shelf" - normally implies readily available and/or generic!

What are these? By the above definition, you don't make them, correct? Or, do you?
If not, where ("...shelf?) do they come from?

Please elaborate.

Cheers!

Appreciate 0
      07-22-2018, 01:49 AM   #116
OpenFlash
United_States
Rep
Drives: A Lot

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by qmp View Post
With out giving up too much of your developmental resources, can you share some of the known hurdles or road blocks to a true flex fuel solution?

Is it software side or interoperability/lack of hardware?
As BMWcurious explained, developing flex fuel code isn't a trivial job. You need to re-direct how input signals are process and the logic structure of the calibration file. In the case of our flex fuel tunes for the GT86/BRZ/FRS, we had to hijack the Evap pressure signal input (0-5v) and repurpose it to accept the Ethanol Content Analyzer (ECA) 0-5v output. Then we repurpose a bunch of tuning tables to handle the ethanol compensations. In that particular case, the calibration file has 2 main fuel tables (one for high detonation, one for low detonation). After custom code was written, one table represented AFR targets with ethanol was 0% (0.5v). The other represented AFR targets with ethanol was 100% (4.5v). Then we repurposed a redundant temp companion table to apply an output that interpolates the AFR target between these two tables based upon actual E%. The same goes for timing adjustment (high det and low det tables repurposed to represent timing value at 0% Ethanol and the other for 100% Ethanol. Same goes for cranking enrichment, throttle delta enrichment, etc,. A redundant MAP sensor scaling table was repurposed to define the calibration curve for the ECA as well. So long story store, there is a A LOT of custom code that needs to be written in order to even make flex fuel calculations possible. This requires a very good understanding of the ECU code. And given the relatively new-ness of the MEVD 17.x ECU, we may not be there anytime soon. Just an honest answer

Edit- via Anthony

As far a a technical solution: If you're looking for true flex fuel adaption. An aux ECU system (with ECA signal processing power), and aux fueling systems would be the easier adaption at this time. Supplemental injection would be scaled in or out as content rises and falls via the aux ECU. We've gotten out of the engine hardware development business, and focus more on software and ECU development solutions; but we still know a thing or two.

Only time would tell if the OEM LPFP, and HPFP would farewell while using E85 fuel -- which is far more dry and offers little fuel system lubrication properties.

Last edited by OpenFlash; 07-22-2018 at 06:21 AM..
Appreciate 2
domino_z1239.50
qmp123.50
      07-22-2018, 01:50 AM   #117
OpenFlash
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by AMOR View Post
Hi, could you please reply to my previous message?
Just trying to find out if this tune will give a tamper code as with other flash tunes offered by other vendors? Thanks.
Our tune files should not trigger a tamper code. But if they do, it's easy enough to erase the code with the OFT's diagnostic menu.
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2018, 01:51 AM   #118
OpenFlash
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by BzsBimmer View Post
What did I miss? The introductory price does not match your $499 list
Sorry, don't follow. The intro price of $499 is stated on our website. We have already sold a couple dozen in the last few days. Or am I misunderstanding your question?
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2018, 01:54 AM   #119
OpenFlash
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr._Who View Post
Hey again!

I'm not sure if this has been properly answered but, just to be sure, will you offer the OE BMW Maps:

Why would you have to make "compatible" files?

* Stock (obviously - saved on the initial boot up/connection)
* ZCP
* CS
* GTS

And, Not being facetious, just ignorant - What are "OTS" Tunes?

"Off The Shelf" - normally implies readily available and/or generic!

What are these? By the above definition, you don't make them, correct? Or, do you?
If not, where ("...shelf?) do they come from?

Please elaborate.

Cheers!

OTS (off-the-shelf) tunes simply refer to tunes that aren't customized through e-tuning. They are standard pre-loaded or readily available tune files that have been calibrated by us. They are not OEM BMW calibrations. We can offer those as well but I don't see much point into offering OEM tunes that don't perform nearly as well as the OTS tunes that we have developed.
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2018, 03:54 AM   #120
OpenFlash
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Just posted this on the F10 M5 forum. Expect to see something similar once we finalize the M3/M4 Stg 1 calibrations this week.

----------------
Anthony and I spent a good bit of time on the dyno yesterday finalizing the Stg 1 tunes for our F10 M5 (2 tuners are better than 1!). Interesting to note that the aftermarket exhaust didn't improve power on our 2015 M5 with Competition Package. But it did save ~50lbs and improved sound which is always a nice thing. Keep in mind that this car is still running OEM downpipes/catalysts. I like our cars (and air) clean so going cat-less was not an option. All testing done on a 3rd party dyno (Dynojet 224) running 91oct California fuel.

The fun really started when we remapped the ECU. We developed two version of OFT Stage 1: One with Full Torque and one with Flat Torque. The Full Torque version is just that, a tune that provides generous torque in the low end and midrange. We still limited peak torque to 585lb-ft which is a reflection on our restraint since the car is capable of producing much more at the expense of repeatability and excessive engine stress.

But it's the Flat Torque version of the tune which is novel. We purposely limited torque to stock-like torque levels. But keep it flat as possible throughout the rev range. This was still worth a nearly 100whp gain over stock. The nice thing about this Flat Torque tune is that it feels really rev happy, predictable, and easy to drive on the road. Almost as if it had a naturally aspirated engine. It begs to be revved out and feels repeatable pull after pull. Compared the more traditional Full Torque tune, this tune feels like you can beat on it all day and it will never miss a beat. Engine sounds and feels unstressed which always encourages hooliganism.

Tomorrow, best-selling Author, Racing Coach and the former Stig for Top Gear USA (Paul Gerrard) will be testing both Stage 1 tunes on the road and will be providing some valuable driver-focused feedback

Appreciate 1
Dr._Who124.50
      07-22-2018, 07:24 AM   #121
BzsBimmer
Major General
Rep
Drives: '23 G80 FO M3, M3 & MY Tezzy's

Quote:
Sorry, don't follow. The intro price of $499 is stated on our website. We have already sold a couple dozen in the last few days. Or am I misunderstanding your question?
My bad. I was on M5 intro for $799
Appreciate 1
      07-22-2018, 09:14 AM   #122
Dr._Who
Banned
Rep
Drives: Tardis

Quote:
OTS (off-the-shelf) tunes simply refer to tunes that aren't customized through e-tuning. They are standard pre-loaded or readily available tune files that have been calibrated by us. They are not OEM BMW calibrations. We can offer those as well but I don't see much point into offering OEM tunes that don't perform nearly as well as the OTS tunes that we have developed.
Hey,

Ok., Thanks!

Just to be clear...

* "...customized through e-tuning." Vs. "...calibrated by us."

What is the difference?

* "...OTS tunes that we have developed."

By definition(?), if you've "developed" these, how can they also be "OTS tunes"?!?

Cheers!

Appreciate 0
      07-22-2018, 09:28 AM   #123
SanchoDivine
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr._Who View Post
Quote:
Hey,

Ok., Thanks!

Just to be clear...

* "...customized through e-tuning." Vs. "...calibrated by us."

What is the difference?

* "...OTS tunes that we have developed."

By definition(?), if you've "developed" these, how can they also be "OTS tunes"?!?

Cheers!

I assume OTS is the same as some of the other platforms where you can choose to load a tune they have already created or otherwise have available as opposed to tuning the car yourself or getting a tuner to custom tune your car for you.
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2018, 10:42 AM   #124
qmp
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 15F80

NEW: OpenFlash Tablet for F series M3/4/5/6

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by qmp View Post
With out giving up too much of your developmental resources, can you share some of the known hurdles or road blocks to a true flex fuel solution?

Is it software side or interoperability/lack of hardware?
. So long story store, there is a A LOT of custom code that needs to be written in order to even make flex fuel calculations possible. This requires a very good understanding of the ECU code. And given the relatively new-ness of the MEVD 17.x ECU, we may not be there anytime soon. Just an honest answer
Thank you for thoroughly outlining the path to a flex fuel set up. Truly respect your honesty and upfront response. Great way to win over business and I can easy see myself aligning with a company with these philosophies.

Im in the process of buttoning up the final stages of my engine build. Will be debuting a new turbo setup and other components on this platform. Looking to equip my tuner with the most flexibility and options so he can extract the best performance and for my end usage. Will probably end up doing a Motec standalone when my car see full track duties. Until then it's a race for companies such as yourself to capitalize from the recent cracking of our DME.
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2018, 08:22 PM   #125
OpenFlash
United_States
Rep

Garage List
We've been making a lot of progress over the last few days with our Development M3! Road testing drive-ability is awesome -- onto ensuring that our results are consistent and repeatable!

One thing that we prefer is to keep OEM protection schemes in place. Many other tuners will disable protection system (such as lambda CAT over temp compensations) in order to get repeatable results. So far our OTS tune is keeping the engine happy, and making power without interfering with those systems!

-Anthony

Last edited by OpenFlash; 07-23-2018 at 08:29 PM..
Appreciate 1
domino_z1239.50
      07-24-2018, 03:33 AM   #126
OpenFlash
United_States
Rep

Garage List
The former Top Gear Stig lived up up to his name and gave the car a good thrashing up a closed mountain road. He tried both our Stage 1 OTS tune files and thoroughly enjoyed the car. His review to come soon.....

Appreciate 0
      07-24-2018, 09:10 AM   #127
Ziggy66
Private
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i

Are there plans to include different exhaust burble settings with the OTS maps? Or will this be easily adjusted by the user.

Also, CS like map would be important for some users that want a little more power, but want to minimize the risk of issues arising (SCH).
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2018, 05:56 PM   #128
OpenFlash
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy66 View Post
Are there plans to include different exhaust burble settings with the OTS maps? Or will this be easily adjusted by the user.

Also, CS like map would be important for some users that want a little more power, but want to minimize the risk of issues arising (SCH).
Exhaust burbles can easily be implemented/adjusted use a one-click patch function in the user software. No problem provided OEM-like calibrations for those who want it.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2018, 06:34 PM   #129
mike@x-ph.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Quote:
The former Top Gear Stig lived up up to his name and gave the car a good thrashing up a closed mountain road. He tried both our Stage 1 OTS tune files and thoroughly enjoyed the car. His review to come soon.....
Nice!!

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2018, 07:56 PM   #130
AMOR
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F90

Looking good so far! Do you guys consider adding rev-match in sport+ down the road? And what numbers to expect from a stage 2 tune on a ZCP car?
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2018, 01:27 AM   #131
OpenFlash
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by AMOR View Post
Looking good so far! Do you guys consider adding rev-match in sport+ down the road? And what numbers to expect from a stage 2 tune on a ZCP car?
More info and dyno results to come this week
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2018, 01:28 AM   #132
OpenFlash
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Railgun View Post
Just got my shipping notification, so yay there. Though I won't have it in my possession for a bit, but when do you expect to start filtering files down for this platform?
For the early adopter customers who are purchasing at the intro price, we will be providing tune files by email. You should be getting an email later tonight with during instructions
Appreciate 0
Closed Thread