R44 Performance
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > BMW M3 (F80) and BMW M4 (F82) General Forum

10-27-2021, 01:25 AM   #45
RE36TRO
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: ///E36,E46,E92,F80

I had this mentality once for quite some time and many cars. Stupidest thing ever, it's an M not an F40. Use it or save it for the next guy.
Appreciate 2
      10-27-2021, 07:31 AM   #46
SMGCFP
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '20 F82 M4 '23 G05 x40i MSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by icegrill View Post
*Humble brag
No. I have nothing to brag about. In this world there is always someone smarter, richer, more successful, more talented, stronger, faster, etc. Unless you're one of about 200 people on Earth.

I have some success, some money, some talent. Maybe I have more than you do, but it's certainly nothing to boast about.
Appreciate 1
SD ///M42992.00
      10-27-2021, 07:56 AM   #47
kwatkins12
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: YMB 15 M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco_Bueno View Post
I'll never understand people that complain about daily driving these cars, even in stop and go traffic. Put it in comfort mode if you're really having a hard time "dealing" with it?

It's really not that difficult or uncomfortable. If you can't handle these cars in traffic, I have no idea how you managed to overcome the adversity of putting shoes on every morning.
I understand what you're saying, I drive my MT in Philly traffic and it is not horrible, the few miles on Lincoln drive are worth it. I will be driving it all winter on snows, granted mainly just a few miles to the train and back.

On the other hand I do understand when people don't drive the cars in the winter. There was a thread somewhere on here basically saying what's the point in driving it in the winter if you are on snows and can't drive the car like an ///M car. Which makes sense you might as well drive a more suitable winter car/truck at that point.
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2021, 08:42 AM   #48
John dillinger
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4

my daily
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
      10-27-2021, 09:33 AM   #49
duky
The Tanzanian
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M3, Audi RS6, Mini Cooper

Garage List
Some people have too many cars to daily drive any really. I personally want at least 5 cars so don't expect I'd be "daily driving" any but I would want to drive em as much as possible. No single car can be great at everything as much as some try to be!

2023 F56 MINI Cooper SE Midnight Black II on Carbon Black
2021 C8 Audi RS6 Avant Mythos Black on Black/Grey
2016 F80 BMW M3 Black Sapphire Metallic on Silverstone
Appreciate 1
      10-27-2021, 09:48 AM   #50
M5D
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016M4

Now, that is a daily!
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2021, 11:42 AM   #51
ohohoh123456
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 M4

i have several issues causing me not to dd it:
1. Exhaust sounds nice but i really don't have the energy to enjoy first thing in the morning especially car is lowered.
2. I don't like all the salt getting on the car that i'm planning to keep long term.
3. I don't like using winter tires for the look and i slipped so hard the other day and it was 50s outside. Thank god MDM saved me from one hell of an accident.
4. no one at my company is into cars like i do and I just can't drive it to work, I don't want my boss to see i have a better car.

Doesn't mean it's a weekend warrior though, i still drive it time to time to work but every time i do i park extremely far and try to be unnoticeable.
      10-27-2021, 11:47 AM   #52
M5D
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohohoh123456 View Post
i have several issues causing me not to dd it:
1. Exhaust sounds nice but i really don't have the energy to enjoy first thing in the morning especially car is lowered.
2. I don't like all the salt getting on the car that i'm planning to keep long term.
3. I don't like using winter tires for the look and i slipped so hard the other day and it was 50s outside. Thank god MDM saved me from one hell of an accident.
4. no one at my company is into cars like i do and I just can't drive it to work, I don't want my boss to see i have a better car.

Doesn't mean it's a weekend warrior though, i still drive it time to time to work but every time i do i park extremely far and try to be unnoticeable.
I remember when I bought my E30 M3 my boss saw it at work and at a company event said ,in front everyone - we are paying you too much!
Appreciate 1
      10-27-2021, 11:48 AM   #53
ohohoh123456
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M5D View Post
I remember when I bought my E30 M3 my boss saw it at work and at a company event said ,in front everyone - we are paying you too much!
haha, exactly! it's been more than a year now and everyone at my company thinks I drive a x3
      10-27-2021, 01:58 PM   #54
vrptstyly
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 17 BMW M3 COMP

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwatkins12 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco_Bueno View Post
I'll never understand people that complain about daily driving these cars, even in stop and go traffic. Put it in comfort mode if you're really having a hard time "dealing" with it?

It's really not that difficult or uncomfortable. If you can't handle these cars in traffic, I have no idea how you managed to overcome the adversity of putting shoes on every morning.
I understand what you're saying, I drive my MT in Philly traffic and it is not horrible, the few miles on Lincoln drive are worth it. I will be driving it all winter on snows, granted mainly just a few miles to the train and back.

On the other hand I do understand when people don't drive the cars in the winter. There was a thread somewhere on here basically saying what's the point in driving it in the winter if you are on snows and can't drive the car like an ///M car. Which makes sense you might as well drive a more suitable winter car/truck at that point.
I actually enjoy the decreased grip of a winter setup. The car is more playful and the chassis balance really shines. It is by no means dangerous to drive in severe weather with the nannies on.

In the spring when you swap back to summers the grip level is eye opening.
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2021, 03:23 PM   #55
ohohoh123456
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by vrptstyly View Post
I actually enjoy the decreased grip of a winter setup. The car is more playful and the chassis balance really shines. It is by no means dangerous to drive in severe weather with the nannies on.

In the spring when you swap back to summers the grip level is eye opening.
i'm just now waiting for a chance to test drive g82 to see if the difference veryone talked about is true or not cuz i'm having too much fun in f82
      10-28-2021, 01:18 PM   #56
G-Ram
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: '15 M4

I bought my F82 to improve my golf game
worked out great, handicap got down into the 6's, and I get a ton of smiles from driving to the course 2-4 times a week (about 25 miles each way) haha.But winter is almost here, course is about to close, and the car is about to hit hibernation mode. the Platinum F-350 be pushed back into service soon !
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2021, 01:47 PM   #57
RElias21
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 30 Jahre M3

In sum because people and situations are different, and there is no one size fits all here.

Financially, emotionally, professionally, etc. different situations result in different usage.

I get your point though, OP.
You love your car, and for you, you want to enjoy it as much as possible. Enjoy in good health!
Appreciate 3
IB M2774.50
      10-28-2021, 02:07 PM   #58
pno02
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW F80, BMW F15

Quote:
This type of thing drives me nuts... They most likely have no idea what your financial situation is without making assumptions.... you could have saved for years to buy it. Honestly it's none of their business anyway. These types of backhanded comments really grind my gears.
Appreciate 4
      10-29-2021, 12:59 PM   #59
Lucille_s55
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: F82 M4 ZCP

Quote:
I remember when I had my Pcar, the Pcar community were all about weekend drives. It kept the miles down - a garage queen. They never really got to know their cars. I drove everything I had, from my first e30 M3 [270k] to my pcar [165k], my LC 200, currently at 145k, my FJ80 220k. I see 4 or 5 year old M cars with 16 to 25k on the odometer. Is it because they were leased, or, the previous owner just did not drive these cars. I understand the pandemic had a great impact on miles driven. But, do you daily your cars or are they for the weekend. I understand motorcycles being for the weekend or good weather - but, new to newer cars!

Any thoughts? Why buy a deliciously beautiful and fast car and have it sit in the garage?

A bit late to this thread but I actually think I have a pretty good answer for this. So most of us f8x owners have multiple cars, I think another thread was just about that topic. As someone who is in this boat of people, I choose to drive my other cars more of the time for 2 main reasons.

a) First, I am trying to keep my f82 for as long as I can before trading into something else. Weather we want to admit it or not, miles do depreciate the value from any car, even a "daily driver" such as an m3/m4. If I want my car to be worth anything in the future, I need to make sure Im specifically not dailying it and putting miles wholesale. Case and point my friend has a white f82 comp, bought it with 7000mi on it back in 2016, now has it up to 82kmi in 2021. Drove the PISS out of it for years, and now a car that he paid $85k usd in the showroom is worth barely 40 if that! And he still owes like 50k on the loan too, so hes now officially upside down in the car. I know we all want to drive our cars as much as we can everyday, but people need to take a good hard look at their finances before they decide to make their sports car their daily, or they risk running financial problems like my friend has (warned him about it long before-hand too).

b) The second reason is that by driving my more normal, "mortal people" cars I find a special type of joy whenever I step into my suit of armor that is my m4. Knowing what everyone else is driving around in and feeling the limitations of those ecoboxes regularly makes me feel like superman when driving the f82. I know that I miss out on some driving enjoyment in my life by subscribing to this way of thinking but I believe it really does make the occasions where I drive my sports car that much more intense and special. That much more invigorating, if that makes sense.

Anyways hope this helps give some insight why some people don't always daily their fast, nicest cars. And theres really no "right way or wrong way" to enjoy your M tbh. I will say just having one in my possession is enough to keep me very happy at night
      10-29-2021, 08:34 PM   #60
Jim B
Wingman
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW M4 Manual

My M4 is my only car. my other vehicle is a 2015 Honda Gold Wing motorcycle. The M4 does just fine as me daily driver.
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2021, 08:52 PM   #61
F80Noob
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: M3 CS

I sold my 2nd car (s2000) just so I could drive the M more.
Appreciate 1
      10-29-2021, 09:08 PM   #62
Ropes
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M4 CS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucille_s55 View Post
A bit late to this thread but I actually think I have a pretty good answer for this. So most of us f8x owners have multiple cars, I think another thread was just about that topic. As someone who is in this boat of people, I choose to drive my other cars more of the time for 2 main reasons.

a) First, I am trying to keep my f82 for as long as I can before trading into something else. Weather we want to admit it or not, miles do depreciate the value from any car, even a "daily driver" such as an m3/m4. If I want my car to be worth anything in the future, I need to make sure Im specifically not dailying it and putting miles wholesale. Case and point my friend has a white f82 comp, bought it with 7000mi on it back in 2016, now has it up to 82kmi in 2021. Drove the PISS out of it for years, and now a car that he paid $85k usd in the showroom is worth barely 40 if that! And he still owes like 50k on the loan too, so hes now officially upside down in the car. I know we all want to drive our cars as much as we can everyday, but people need to take a good hard look at their finances before they decide to make their sports car their daily, or they risk running financial problems like my friend has (warned him about it long before-hand too).

b) The second reason is that by driving my more normal, "mortal people" cars I find a special type of joy whenever I step into my suit of armor that is my m4. Knowing what everyone else is driving around in and feeling the limitations of those ecoboxes regularly makes me feel like superman when driving the f82. I know that I miss out on some driving enjoyment in my life by subscribing to this way of thinking but I believe it really does make the occasions where I drive my sports car that much more intense and special. That much more invigorating, if that makes sense.

Anyways hope this helps give some insight why some people don't always daily their fast, nicest cars. And theres really no "right way or wrong way" to enjoy your M tbh. I will say just having one in my possession is enough to keep me very happy at night
A) Your friend started upside down and that is a fact of ownership on cars. They are not assets which is why you should enjoy your purchase.

B) Truth. I have a vehicle at work and can't wait to get back in my F82.
Appreciate 2
      10-29-2021, 09:39 PM   #63
RowanBuds
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 3 pedal 718, G05, MkVII GTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucille_s55 View Post

Another one in the multi-vehicle camp, and I completely with your point (b) here. Have a current X5 and MKVII GTI right now as my alternatives and neither of them stay garaged. 6 and a half years into the F80 and every time I drive it she still feels special - keeps me hooked, and from chasing cars with dollars compulsively. Only 37-38k miles on it, but almost every one of them has been really fun.

In my time chasing cars with dollars I've learned something about myself and that is: Whatever car I daily, I'll get sick of. It'll only stay if its treated as an appliance from there. I've had my F80 for 3 times longer than any car I've ever had before, aside an '05 Civic that was my work/city commuter for 13 years.

Finally got rid of that one when I no longer had reliable heat and largely due to finding a great deal on a new GTI. When I added that a few years ago the assumption is I'd keep it for 10-12 years as my beat-around option; it's still here, but who knows for how long.

But I have to ask, the part I've bolded in (a)......no way, right? That's 85k (unless loaded CCB car it probably wasn't that much new) for a 7k mile car at the time they could still be found new with some ease. Then, he's only paid 35k of 85k off in, even being generous that he got it 12/31/16, 5 full years minimum? Did he get a 12 year note?

Just doesn't make sense, but I don't know everyones' creditworthiness and stomachable interest rates.. IDK.

Le Mans Blue F80 - Munich 5-22-2015 / US 7-7-2015 / SOLD 9-17-2022
ED Recap
Arctic Grey G05 - Spartanburg 8-29-2019
X5 PCD Recap
Appreciate 2
      10-29-2021, 09:40 PM   #64
sna66
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: F83

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9M71 View Post
Its a terrible car in 1.5 hours of stop and go traffic. Much prefer my soulless CVT hybrid.

If my commute was amazing curvy backroads, then by all means this would be the commuter of choice.
This ... The car is not the most comfortable and not everyone likes a hard suspension and loud exhaust on a daily. I work from home, and my office is 10 mins away, so if I have to drive in its no big deal. If I had at least a 30 minute commute everyday, I'd choose a different car, or have a more comfortable beater. My wife has an x4 and sometimes its a joy to have a soft comfortable ride, esp on long drives, I always take her car, especially if I know parking is going to be an issue, like valet only places or if here a ton of shopping carts around
Appreciate 2
      10-29-2021, 11:06 PM   #65
Lucille_s55
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RowanBuds View Post
Another one in the multi-vehicle camp, and I completely with your point (b) here. Have a current X5 and MKVII GTI right now as my alternatives and neither of them stay garaged. 6 and a half years into the F80 and every time I drive it she still feels special - keeps me hooked, and from chasing cars with dollars compulsively. Only 37-38k miles on it, but almost every one of them has been really fun.
Couldnt agree more man. im with you on that, make sure every mile you are putting on your M is worthwhile. And the second you start driving it in traffic or to the grocerystore, some of the cars magic begins to fade no doubt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RowanBuds View Post
But I have to ask, the part I've bolded in (a)......no way, right? That's 85k (unless loaded CCB car it probably wasn't that much new) for a 7k mile car at the time they could still be found new with some ease. Then, he's only paid 35k of 85k off in, even being generous that he got it 12/31/16, 5 full years minimum? Did he get a 12 year note?

Just doesn't make sense, but I don't know everyones' creditworthiness and stomachable interest rates.. IDK.
Im not sure man. All I can tell you is that its an m4 comp with 82k miles on it right now, and market price for that car goes for about 40k on cargurus. He told me even a month ago he still owes 51k and some change on it right now, and is looking for someone to buy him out of it but nobody wants it at that price, so im guessing what happened he put $20-25k down and has some massive payment that (maybe a 7 year note??) but then put too many miles on it too fast (cus its a great car) and realized too late what was happening financial-wise. Now owes a ton of money on a car that is dropping to fast for him.

Again Im not sure, nor am I gauche enough of a person to ask him, but even with the crazy influx in appreciation/value in ALL cars right now he told me he is still going to lose money when he sells, which is mind blowing to me. Im not sure what all his finances were and what deal was made when he bought the car man I admit, but what I can tell you that I bought mine with 11k miles for about $55k in 2019, and am in a position to sell it now for about $55-60k in 2021 with 26k miles glorious drivers miles on it, (meaning I drove it around for free for 2 years and can make money on it). But my car is not as optioned out as his, which is pretty much fully loaded, so if he adopted my way of thinking he would be in an even better position than me right now. Which pretty much proves my point about the low-mile argument for some.
      10-29-2021, 11:18 PM   #66
Lucille_s55
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ropes View Post
A) Your friend started upside down and that is a fact of ownership on cars. They are not assets which is why you should enjoy your purchase.
Yea but he could have mitigated the pain of debt a little for himself if he took into consideration his situation before the fact. If you choose to use your car like an every day appliance be ready to maintain it much more often and when it gets up in miles you will lose money on it like he did. If youre okay with that then by all means. But Im electing to treat my car as an investment, especially since im trying to keep it around for as long as I can, and with ICE cars on the way out it will be difficult to find a low mile example in the future without paying an arm and a leg (the same way the e30 m3 is so costly now). So I guess you could say Im planning ahead for that reality now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ropes View Post
B) Truth. I have a vehicle at work and can't wait to get back in my F82.
Indeed my brotha!! Get in that m soon and drive it good!
Send it once for me