Pandora Car Alarm System
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in | Oil & Fluids | Servicing | TSB | Recalls

09-27-2021, 11:17 AM   #1
horix
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW F80 M3 ZCP

CEL: Air mass too high/rich codes for bank 1 and bank 2

So I recently purchased a used 2017 F80 competition. Car is more or less fully stock, no tune, and was inspected by my local BMW dealership before purchase.

Unfortunately I've got poor luck and over the last week I've had air mass plausibility and mixture rich codes throwing a CEL. Used BimmerLink to read the following codes:

102001: Air mass, plausibility: air mass too high
102901: Air mass 2, plausibility: air mass too high
102E11: Air mass meter: electrical fault or air mass implausible
118002: Mixture control: Mixture too rich
118102: Mixture control 2: Mixture too rich

The odd thing is the car seems to run great; I'm not getting any odd behavior at idle, low or high RPMs. Also these CEL codes seem very intermittent/marginal I've had the CEL go back off on me without clearing them. Even after I clear them I've driven the car 3-4 times before it comes back on.

So far I've cleaned the MAF sensors (don't think it's them because both of them going bad seems unlikely) and also checked both of my charge pipes for any any obvious fractures/splits. I have a pair of VRSF charge pipes that should arrive this week I plan to install but I don't expect that to solve the issue unless somehow the stock charge pipes have some sort of tiny leak.

My best guess at this point is an O2 sensor or even possibly a fuel pressure sensor but I'm looking for advice to help troubleshoot/isolate the problem. I have OBDII apps that can record sensor values but I'm not sure exactly what I should be looking for.
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2021, 11:19 AM   #2
TopJimmy
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3 Comp xDrive

Stock? If not detail all the mods.
      09-27-2021, 11:26 AM   #3
horix
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TopJimmy View Post
Stock? If not detail all the mods.
The only modifications I'm aware of is it has an AA mid-pipe and the cold side J-pipe has been updated. ECU was fully flashed back to stock/latest firmware by my BMW service center.
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2021, 04:00 PM   #4
horix
United_States
Rep

I just got a FedEx notification that the new charge pipes are out for delivery today so hopefully I can install those ASAP and more closely inspect the OEM charge pipes. From the posts I've found for the OEM pipes failing most of them look like hairline fractures on the back side that are difficult to see without fully removing them.

Also when I put in the new charge pipes on I plan to tighten up all the various connections/hose clamps used throughout the intake system.

Lastly, I was able to capture some sensor logs during a drive when the CEL codes threw and the most interesting one I've found is the long term fuel trim % readings (picture attached).

Note that they dip WAY down to -30% to try and compensate for the rich conditions the other sensors are picking up (I assume the post-cat 02 sensor would be the main one reading rich conditions?) If anyone knows what "numbers" of O2 sensor(s) I should be monitoring and the values (voltage/current/wide range equivalence ratio) I should be paying attention to that would be extremely helpful.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-27-2021, 09:42 PM   #5
TopJimmy
Major General
United_States
Rep

If you had J-pipe work then the small air tube should be checked, and o-rings heavily greased. This is the small black tube that runs from the long intake pipe back to the J-pipe. It frequently is an air leak that throws off the MAF reading.
      09-27-2021, 11:46 PM   #6
horix
United_States
Rep

Alrighty hopefully I’ve isolated the issue. I pulled the OEM charge pipes off and neither of them had O-rings installed where they make contact with the turbo!

From what I understand the old owner had after market charge pipes but decided to put everything back to stock to sell. They completely forgot to transfer over the o-rings. Also why the hell would you part out the charge pipes when the crappy plastic OEM ones are known to have so many issues? Like seriously this is weak sauce.

I’m completely shocked that the car was running as well as it was. Somehow there was enough of a seal there to not cause a giant boost leak.

Anyways; just placed an order for replacement o-rings 2-day FedEx from VRSF. I’m like 95% sure this should fix the issue/codes.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
spidy512491.50
      10-04-2021, 11:30 AM   #7
horix
United_States
Rep

Just wanted to update and confirm that since I've installed the new charge pipes WITH newly purchased O-rings I haven't had the CEL come back on. Everything seems good now. Gonna call this problem solved/closed.
Appreciate 1
TopJimmy5394.00
      10-05-2021, 06:58 AM   #8
TopJimmy
Major General
United_States
Rep

What boneheads…
Left the Os out of the CPs…