EXXEL Distributions
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

11-27-2020, 02:37 PM   #1
drroc
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3 - 6MT

StopTech vs Brembo GTS on 18'' Apex wheels quesion

My stock fronts turned the usual green color and the piston seals are starting to fall apart.

I am thinking of upgrading the calipers for the next track season, and I would like to use them with my Apex EC7 wheels: Fronts: 18 x 9.5 ET22 Rears: 18 x 11 ET44. Would a 380mm rotor clear these wheels, or is that going to be too large? Also, how is the cost of consumables for StopTech vs Brembo GTS or vs Ap racing?

Thanks in advance!
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2020, 07:20 AM   #2
dvq
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M4 Competition

I've been looking at the these kits as I'm in the same situation. It won't be long before the square seals start to degrade and pistons drag.

I have sm10 in 18x10" square but the clearance should be similar — mine would fit no problem with the templates I found.

Consumables seems to be a wash for stoptech and ap racing. The stop techs have cheaper rotor rings by a tiny bit but the AP racing pads should last a long time due to being so thick. The brembos rotor rings seem to cost a lot.

For the package price I reached out to my friends and was able to come up with $8800 for a complete AP racing package front and rear. The Stoptechs came out to $5700 for trophys comparable to the AP racing (no dust seals, stainless steel pistons, antiknock back springs, full floating rotor hardware, nickel plated).

Still figuring out if I want to so this or just rebuild calipers with high temp square seals and stainless steel pistons, repaint them black, and live that cheap pad/free rotor replacement life (fcp euro lifetime).
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2020, 10:48 AM   #3
drroc
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvq View Post
I've been looking at the these kits as I'm in the same situation. It won't be long before the square seals start to degrade and pistons drag.

I have sm10 in 18x10" square but the clearance should be similar — mine would fit no problem with the templates I found.

Consumables seems to be a wash for stoptech and ap racing. The stop techs have cheaper rotor rings by a tiny bit but the AP racing pads should last a long time due to being so thick. The brembos rotor rings seem to cost a lot.

For the package price I reached out to my friends and was able to come up with $8800 for a complete AP racing package front and rear. The Stoptechs came out to $5700 for trophys comparable to the AP racing (no dust seals, stainless steel pistons, antiknock back springs, full floating rotor hardware, nickel plated).

Still figuring out if I want to so this or just rebuild calipers with high temp square seals and stainless steel pistons, repaint them black, and live that cheap pad/free rotor replacement life (fcp euro lifetime).
Do you have a sense of how much effort would be required into rebuild the calipers? Probably doing a rebuild and just running the OEM rotors into the ground would be the cheapest option. I really don't like the low thickness of the padgid pads with the stock calipers, as towards the end they start wearing out very fast increasing brake pedal travel. I don't know if this problem exists with other after market calipers or not.

I saw an M2 at Sonoma that was doing 1:49s with Stoptechs and MCS suspension. So they can definitely do the job quite well for quite a bit less compared to AP racing. It also looks like on Stoptechs, its possible to replace the pads without removing the calipers unlike on Brembo GT/GTS.
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2020, 04:10 PM   #4
dvq
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by drroc View Post
Quote:

Do you have a sense of how much effort would be required into rebuild the calipers? Probably doing a rebuild and just running the OEM rotors into the ground would be the cheapest option. I really don't like the low thickness of the padgid pads with the stock calipers, as towards the end they start wearing out very fast increasing brake pedal travel. I don't know if this problem exists with other after market calipers or not.

I saw an M2 at Sonoma that was doing 1:49s with Stoptechs and MCS suspension. So they can definitely do the job quite well for quite a bit less compared to AP racing. It also looks like on Stoptechs, its possible to replace the pads without removing the calipers unlike on Brembo GT/GTS.
Rebuilding the calipers is just a matter of removing the caliper, applying some compressed air to the brake line input, with various shims of wood to let the pistons out evenly. I haven't done it myself but it looks okay?
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2020, 04:21 PM   #5
FormulaMMM
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Had Stoptech on my E90s, AP Racing now on my GTS.

Always found Stoptech very solid. Great performance, relatively low entry cost, reasonable consumables, no issues. Lots of pad options, pad swaps are as easy as it gets. Also managed a couple of rotor changeovers on my own.

Been many years, but I shipped mine off to Turner for caliper rebuild and synced delivery with rebuild components from Zeckhausen. Turn around time was < week, I think. Various race shops in CA must offer the service. Labor wasn't very costly at all, so an easy choice for this paranoid mechanic.

Appreciate 2
drroc418.50
      11-28-2020, 05:20 PM   #6
drroc
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FormulaMMM View Post
Had Stoptech on my E90s, AP Racing now on my GTS.

Always found Stoptech very solid. Great performance, relatively low entry cost, reasonable consumables, no issues. Lots of pad options, pad swaps are as easy as it gets. Also managed a couple of rotor changeovers on my own.

Been many years, but I shipped mine off to Turner for caliper rebuild and synced delivery with rebuild components from Zeckhausen. Turn around time was < week, I think. Various race shops in CA must offer the service. Labor wasn't very costly at all, so an easy choice for this paranoid mechanic.
Thanks for the feedback. I really like the fact that pad changing is fairly easy on the Stoptechs, and they seem to get very good reputation. The price point also is pretty compelling.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2020, 02:39 PM   #7
drroc
Lieutenant
Rep

So looks like both front calipers are in need of a rebuild fairly soon. The rear seals are also starting to show signs of cracks on the seals. It is also interesting to see that the inside of the front calipers still has the original paint color while the outside turned green.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      11-29-2020, 11:35 PM   #8
dvq
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
So looks like both front calipers are in need of a rebuild fairly soon. The rear seals are also starting to show signs of cracks on the seals. It is also interesting to see that the inside of the front calipers still has the original paint color while the outside turned green.
First the dust shields melt.
Next the heat yellows the clear coat.
Then the heat darkens the paint.
Finally your pads start wearing unevenly -- this is the last step before you know it's time for a piston/square seal rebuild.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2020, 12:30 AM   #9
drroc
Lieutenant
Rep

I put an order today... I'll post some pics once the boxes arrive.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2020, 07:40 AM   #10
Logicoeur
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F30 335i xDrive

Aren't the OE blue rotors already 380mm in the front? Those should fit under 18s so I don't see why the AP setup wouldn't.
F30 335iX | Remus Axleback | Fabspeed Catted DP | VRSF Comp IC | 18X9 ET35 19lb MT1 | 255/40/18 ECS | Ohlins RT Millway Street | Millway Control Arm Bushings | Turner Endlinks | TMH 75mm 14x1.5 Studs | BMW MPerf LSD | XDelete | Pipercross Filter | MHD Stg2 93
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2020, 12:18 PM   #11
jacobe92
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 Hell Rot F80 M3

Get the Essex AP F 9668, R 9449. They're designed to take a monumental track beating. "Put em on and forget about it." Remember, the 9668 for $400+ and not the 9660. The 9668 is designed to accommodate the endurance 25mm pads. Search Grocery Hauler and you'll see mine. GL.

2016 Hellrot F80 M3|JRZ RS Pro with Swift Springs 550/750 spring rates l AP Radical 5000R 9668/9449 lSpiegler SS LinesI DS1.11I Eisenmann DP|MPE Catback|18" Forgeline GS1R 18x10 et 22 and 18x11 et 44 NT01 275/35/18 and 305/35/18| Forgeline GTD1 18x10et43 SquarelM Performance Lip/Splitter|IND aesthetic mods|Dinan Toe Link|Fall Line mono ball conversion kit and upper link kit| Aim Solo 2DL Smarty Cam|Simpson Hybrid|Stilo Offshore helmet.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2020, 03:45 PM   #12
dvq
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logicoeur View Post
Aren't the OE blue rotors already 380mm in the front? Those should fit under 18s so I don't see why the AP setup wouldn't.
Caliper width won't clear some wheels.
Appreciate 1
sly1types431.50
      12-03-2020, 03:49 PM   #13
dvq
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobe92 View Post
Get the Essex AP F 9668, R 9449. They're designed to take a monumental track beating. "Put em on and forget about it." Remember, the 9668 for $400+ and not the 9660. The 9668 is designed to accommodate the endurance 25mm pads. Search Grocery Hauler and you'll see mine. GL.

For me -- Stoptech gets you front and rear trophy nickel plated kit with floating rotors, antiknockback springs, brackets, lines, pads, shipped to your door for the same price as the just the fronts for AP racing. I'm sure the AP racing is considerably lighter but idk if it's worth twice the price. I see plenty of people doing hpde and racing competitively on both setups.
Appreciate 3
FormulaMMM3662.50
drroc418.50
jacobe92619.00
      12-03-2020, 05:22 PM   #14
FormulaMMM
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
For me -- Stoptech gets you front and rear trophy nickel plated kit with floating rotors, antiknockback springs, brackets, lines, pads, shipped to your door for the same price as the just the fronts for AP racing. I'm sure the AP racing is considerably lighter but idk if it's worth twice the price. I see plenty of people doing hpde and racing competitively on both setups.
Current AP customer, former Stoptech, agree with this.

Went with AP because my ocd wasn't ok with gaining weight coming from the carbon ceramics, and the massive pad width is a convenience.

Appreciate 1
drroc418.50
      12-03-2020, 07:12 PM   #15
drroc
Lieutenant
Rep

So I went with a StopTech trophy kit from buybrakes.com It should arrive by the weekend. They had a deal that was too hard to pass by. Even if the brakes are the same weight, but can deal with the heat without the calipers cooking themselves, that's good enough.
Appreciate 1
FormulaMMM3662.50
      12-07-2020, 10:52 PM   #16
drroc
Lieutenant
Rep

The goods have arrived along with Motul 660RBF brake fluid and 75mm wheel studs. Might as well replace the studs after two seasons. I plan to weigh the stock rotor/caliper against the stoptech to see the weight difference. The main difference that I noticed when opening the box was that the pads were bigger compared to the OEM sized ones.
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
FormulaMMM3662.50
jacobe92619.00
      12-08-2020, 09:30 AM   #17
FormulaMMM
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
The goods have arrived along with Motul 660RBF brake fluid and 75mm wheel studs. Might as well replace the studs after two seasons. I plan to weigh the stock rotor/caliper against the stoptech to see the weight difference. The main difference that I noticed when opening the box was that the pads were bigger compared to the OEM sized ones.
Trophy kit, awesome. You'll be in great shape. What pads you going to run?

Appreciate 0
      12-08-2020, 10:34 AM   #18
drroc
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FormulaMMM View Post
Trophy kit, awesome. You'll be in great shape. What pads you going to run?
The kit came with some Hawk Street pads. I haven't figured out what track pads I will run, as it will probably be about two months or so before I hit the track again. The nice thing about the StopTechs is that changing the pads would be very easy. No more beating the pins out with the hammer.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2020, 11:06 AM   #19
DRLane
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Garage List
2008 m3  [6.63]
ST trophy's are great!

Definitely be conscientious of pad shapes as some don't fit even if they're marketed as such. The pagid pad backing plate wore into the rotor hat as the pad wore down around ~6mm of pad material. Stick with Hawk, or Carbotech and you won't run into any issues.
Attached Images

TopJimmy5449.50
      12-09-2020, 02:09 PM   #20
dvq
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRLane View Post
ST trophy's are great!

Definitely be conscientious of pad shapes as some don't fit even if they're marketed as such. The pagid pad backing plate wore into the rotor hat as the pad wore down around ~6mm of pad material. Stick with Hawk, or Carbotech and you won't run into any issues.
That's pretty wild, would be a good idea to pre-grind the edges of the pads if it doesn't match the stoptech ones I guess?
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2020, 02:10 PM   #21
dvq
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Congrats, consider me envious. I'll likely get a set soon just have to figure out my damper issues.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2020, 02:12 PM   #22
DRLane
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Garage List
2008 m3  [6.63]
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRLane View Post
ST trophy's are great!

That's pretty wild, would be a good idea to pre-grind the edges of the pads if it doesn't match the stoptech ones I guess?
Yes! Folks do that or just buy pads that match. Again Hawk and Carbotech don't have this problem. CT XP20 is a solid pad and fairly economical for a track pad.