EXXEL Distributions
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

03-10-2021, 08:55 PM   #6293
chassis
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 9Y0 Cayenne S

Garage List
What’s the end game with GME? Does the drama go on as long as the shares are listed? Or do either the shorts or longs capitulate under a certain set of conditions?

Full disclosure: I hold no GME, long or short.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2021, 09:21 PM   #6294
antzcrashing
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW 440i GC

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by chassis View Post
What’s the end game with GME? Does the drama go on as long as the shares are listed? Or do either the shorts or longs capitulate under a certain set of conditions?

Full disclosure: I hold no GME, long or short.
I can't speak for a whole army of traders and an online community but this is my leaning:

Reddit (and the retail investor and gamer) wins when gamestop becomes a lasting thriving company

Hedges (and the investing establishment) win when gamestop is sold down to 0/share and delisted
Appreciate 1
      03-11-2021, 11:10 AM   #6295
NorCalAthlete
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: '23 M4CX - Tanzanite / Tartufo

Quote:
Originally Posted by antzcrashing View Post
I can't speak for a whole army of traders and an online community but this is my leaning:

Reddit (and the retail investor and gamer) wins when gamestop becomes a lasting thriving company

Hedges (and the investing establishment) win when gamestop is sold down to 0/share and delisted
Pretty much this. Many made enough to cash out their initial cost on the first spike and are now just holding long term.
IG: EmFore_650
Appreciate 1
      03-11-2021, 06:58 PM   #6296
aerostar
Major
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80

Anyone in for PSTH?
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2021, 04:27 PM   #6297
premier3is
Major
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW 330i M-Sport

My long term position on BA is rocketing up and looking great. 737 Max orders for Southwest and hopefully more airlines follow and buy.

But my NVDA option spread I opened earlier this week was up yesterday for a profit of 250% but me being a greedy fuckin pig wanted my max of 400% on it because it only needed to go up 1.50 more dollar from yesterdays close for max profit lol. Got burned today and took a complete loss.

I tell myself never to get too greedy on options and... well, that never works lol.
Appreciate 1
      03-13-2021, 02:45 PM   #6298
XKxRome0ox
e90noob
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 E90 M3

i don't mess with cryptocurrency but ... bitcoin is BLOWING UP
wow

Production date - 2008-04-22
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2021, 06:39 PM   #6299
kanovic
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 06 evo

Quote:
Originally Posted by premier3is View Post
My long term position on BA is rocketing up and looking great. 737 Max orders for Southwest and hopefully more airlines follow and buy.

But my NVDA option spread I opened earlier this week was up yesterday for a profit of 250% but me being a greedy fuckin pig wanted my max of 400% on it because it only needed to go up 1.50 more dollar from yesterdays close for max profit lol. Got burned today and took a complete loss.

I tell myself never to get too greedy on options and... well, that never works lol.
I was up on options on gme and amc when I knew I should sell then the bottom opened and I lost everything lol
Appreciate 1
premier3is1631.50
      03-13-2021, 08:56 PM   #6300
premier3is
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kanovic View Post
Quote:

I was up on options on gme and amc when I knew I should sell then the bottom opened and I lost everything lol
You know how the old saying goes:

Bulls make money, bears make money, pigs get slaughtered"

That quote hits hard. Lol
Appreciate 3
vreihen1615256.00
kanovic456.00
      03-14-2021, 11:44 AM   #6301
Our03z4
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW Z4 3.0si Coupe,

Bought WKHS in after hours Wednesday and sold Thursday pre-market for another 5% gain. Did a little over 3% total account value gain last week, goal is 4% per week but I'm happy. Sold TGT at breakeven last week since it was moving so slow and tying up trade funds, should have held one day longer. Oh well. LOGI is slowly moving but I'm about to cut it loose if it doesn't take off soon.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2021, 06:54 PM   #6302
NorCalAthlete
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: '23 M4CX - Tanzanite / Tartufo

3% per week more than triples your account size annually. Something most people (ie, the pigs getting slaughtered referenced above) have a habit of forgetting.

It’s a solid goal.
IG: EmFore_650
Appreciate 2
vreihen1615256.00
XKxRome0ox1587.50
      03-14-2021, 08:03 PM   #6303
Our03z4
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCalAthlete View Post
3% per week more than triples your account size annually. Something most people (ie, the pigs getting slaughtered referenced above) have a habit of forgetting.

It’s a solid goal.
Least I've gotten is 94% and at most 147% in a year. For 2021 I've bought some software and changed things up so we'll see if I can keep the goal. So far so good.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2021, 11:19 PM   #6304
premier3is
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Our03z4 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCalAthlete View Post

It’s a solid goal.
Least I've gotten is 94% and at most 147% in a year. For 2021 I've bought some software and changed things up so we'll see if I can keep the goal. So far so good.
Option flows software? Curious if so, which one you use? I've tried a few.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2021, 08:12 AM   #6305
Our03z4
Captain
Rep

Quote:
I don't trade options, way to confusing for my taste, every time I try to learn it I fall asleep. I'm all about safe trading and options seems too risky to me. You can use it for options and Forex as well.

I use Trend Trader Pro suite version. https://trendtraderpro.net/

Expensive but worth it, it keeps me from bailing out of trades too early or getting in stuff that will go down.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2021, 02:13 PM   #6306
premier3is
Major
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
I don't trade options, way to confusing for my taste, every time I try to learn it I fall asleep. I'm all about safe trading and options seems too risky to me. You can use it for options and Forex as well.

Expensive but worth it, it keeps me from bailing out of trades too early or getting in stuff that will go down.
Nice. Pretty pricy. How has it been for you? And no trial versions to test how it works.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2021, 02:46 PM   #6307
Our03z4
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Nice. Pretty pricy. How has it been for you? And no trial versions to test how it works.
I like it. I got it when it was on sale for $700, haven't seen that price since. Makes trades much safer and has kept me out of trouble. If I listen to it I never lose money. I use that and IBD. Here's how it looks on DOCU which is a trade I'm currently in.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-15-2021, 02:48 PM   #6308
Our03z4
Captain
Rep

Not sure why the pic doesn't show the whole heat map but it does on TD Ameritrade. Oh and the reason why they don't do trial is because once you have it they can't take it back.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2021, 03:28 PM   #6309
premier3is
Major
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
I like it. I got it when it was on sale for $700, haven't seen that price since. Makes trades much safer and has kept me out of trouble. If I listen to it I never lose money. I use that and IBD. Here's how it looks on DOCU which is a trade I'm currently in.
Interesting. I'll take a look into it and maybe see some reviews!
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2021, 07:30 PM   #6310
antzcrashing
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:

Is trading your primary source of income? If not, how do you find the time to analyze stocks with a busy work week? It's one of my goals to prove consistent gains so that It could be my primary source of income, but I am definitely not there yet
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2021, 08:09 PM   #6311
Our03z4
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Is trading your primary source of income? If not, how do you find the time to analyze stocks with a busy work week? It's one of my goals to prove consistent gains so that It could be my primary source of income, but I am definitely not there yet
I own two companies so I don't have much time as well. I usually buy in after hours, around 730pm. I 1st take a look at whats on sale from the day using daily loss leaders , 2nd check the software and charts, 3rd check IBD to see the companies ratings (I only trade well known companies). If everything checks out I get in, only takes 15mins to 1/2 hour and usually no more than 1-3 new trades. I immediately set a TP as soon as I get in the trade. I only go for a 5% gain, normally it hits in PM or with in a few days.

Example was the tech down turn a few weeks ago, I bought quite a few stocks in AH and dumped 3 in PM, each for 5% wins. I left a little on the table but I take my easy money and move on.

I never risk more than 10% on a stock unless it seems like an easy win. I also use the VIX as a hedge at all times and change the load I have depending on the number of trades I'm in, right now it's about $3,400 on VXX. I was up to a little over 7k as a hedge on 2/25 when I sold for a great gain. Things turned around the next day and I started over again.

When I'm not busy I'll sit and and watch the software to get every bit I can, but only if I have the time. My way is probably more complicated than it needs to be but I like it and it works for me.

I see so many people get greedy and crash their accounts. I was following some "pros" during the winter and their trades hurt me pretty good. It killed me seeing my normally green account showing red. Their issue was that they made good trades but waited too long to TP. The word I hate to hear people use in trading is "Patience", the use of that word tells me you are loosing and are grasping for hope. You have to know when to can the trade. I take losses that are small or if I feel a trade is going south I have no issue with exiting at 1 or 2% profit...it all adds up in the end.

My goal is to full time trade within the next few years. If I ever start making less than market I'll quit and put it into ETFs. Been trading for about 5 years and always beat the market.

I applaud you for wanting to get heavier into it. It amazes me that people don't even look at their 401k, it really isn't hard. My poor in laws were actually making negative returns for years since theirs was still in bonds from the recession. Made me so upset to see that. I changed it all for them and in 2020 they did 14.5% on a very conservative account since they are only a few years away from needing it. If people would just watch their accounts they would do so well in life. I didn't come from a family with much and neither did my wife, I watch my parents struggle with only SS payments since they refused to invest, I don't want to have that happen to us as well. My brother is 40 and has $0 saved for retirement and could care less, luckily I got his 16 year old son already investing. He'll pass me by so quickly due to age being on his side. Wish I would have started this sooner but it is what it is, now I have to play catch up.
Appreciate 4
      03-15-2021, 08:18 PM   #6312
antzcrashing
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
I own two companies so I don't have much time as well. I usually buy in after hours, around 730pm. I 1st take a look at whats on sale from the day using daily loss leaders , 2nd check the software and charts, 3rd check IBD to see the companies ratings (I only trade well known companies). If everything checks out I get in, only takes 15mins to 1/2 hour and usually no more than 1-3 new trades. I immediately set a TP as soon as I get in the trade. I only go for a 5% gain, normally it hits in PM or with in a few days.

Example was the tech down turn a few weeks ago, I bought quite a few stocks in AH and dumped 3 in PM, each for 5% wins. I left a little on the table but I take my easy money and move on.

I never risk more than 10% on a stock unless it seems like an easy win. I also use the VIX as a hedge at all times and change the load I have depending on the number of trades I'm in, right now it's about $3,400 on VXX. I was up to a little over 7k as a hedge on 2/25 when I sold for a great gain. Things turned around the next day and I started over again.

When I'm not busy I'll sit and and watch the software to get every bit I can, but only if I have the time. My way is probably more complicated than it needs to be but I like it and it works for me.

I see so many people get greedy and crash their accounts. I was following some "pros" during the winter and their trades hurt me pretty good. It killed me seeing my normally green account showing red. Their issue was that they made good trades but waited too long to TP. The word I hate to hear people use in trading is "Patience", the use of that word tells me you are loosing and are grasping for hope. You have to know when to can the trade. I take losses that are small or if I feel a trade is going south I have no issue with exiting at 1 or 2% profit...it all adds up in the end.

My goal is to full time trade within the next few years. If I ever start making less than market I'll quit and put it into ETFs. Been trading for about 5 years and always beat the market.

I applaud you for wanting to get heavier into it. It amazes me that people don't even look at their 401k, it really isn't hard. My poor in laws were actually making negative returns for years since theirs was still in bonds from the recession. Made me so upset to see that. I changed it all for them and in 2020 they did 14.5% on a very conservative account since they are only a few years away from needing it. If people would just watch their accounts they would do so well in life. I didn't come from a family with much and neither did my wife, I watch my parents struggle with only SS payments since they refused to invest, I don't want to have that happen to us as well. My brother is 40 and has $0 saved for retirement and could care less, luckily I got his 16 year old son already investing. He'll pass me by so quickly due to age being on his side. Wish I would have started this sooner but it is what it is, now I have to play catch up.
I like your style and appreciate you sharing ideas. I know you don't like to deal with options, but based on your hedge scheme with vix, I would suggest trying a small share of call options on it from time to time, that has paid out well for me. I'm guessing there are times when you have a hunch or even a conviction that vix is going to spike, that can hit like green on roulette. Of course keep the cost basis low wrt your overall portfolio or even the risk portion of it.

When you buy after hours, how do you handle/deal with the greater uncertainty of it, the trades are in lower volume at that time so its hard to gauge momentum, no?
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2021, 08:37 PM   #6313
Our03z4
Captain
Rep

Quote:
I like your style and appreciate you sharing ideas. I know you don't like to deal with options, but based on your hedge scheme with vix, I would suggest trying a small share of call options on it from time to time, that has paid out well for me. I'm guessing there are times when you have a hunch or even a conviction that vix is going to spike, that can hit like green on roulette. Of course keep the cost basis low wrt your overall portfolio or even the risk portion of it.

When you buy after hours, how do you handle/deal with the greater uncertainty of it, the trades are in lower volume at that time so its hard to gauge momentum, no?
Man I would love to try options but I really fear it, one day I'll put real time into trying to learn it. Like you said being busy makes things hard.

I've actually been watching the VIX since I was a kid, always have had a weird obsession with it. I've never been burned on it. If people looked at my trade history they would see the obsession. Sometimes I can make 30%, more so when I could trade TVIX. Best year was 97% account value gain on just TVIX.

That's why I stick with large companies, still decent volume in after hours and the spread is minimal. If a great company drops 20% because of a down day for all stocks or that sector that's a pretty good bet it will go up. Especially if IBD shows all numbers as a strong company. This is also where the VIX comes in, if it's going up in AH I'll stay away from buying stocks since it may continue to decline the next day. I also stay away from highs, I look across the chart and if it hasn't been at that level multiple time before I stay out. That part goes against the IBD method but I don't like doing it that way.

Like DOCU got in on Friday and its up 3% so far. It had great earnings (but dropped for no reason other then maybe the interest rates), good score on IBD and the software was in a up trend. Hopefully PM or tomorrow it sells.

By Wednesday I want out of all trades minus the VXX due to the FED speaking, that can make for things to be on sale...love those days, also a good day to potentially sell VXX if the market doesn't like what they say. VXX is up almost 1% after hours so tomorrow may be a down day. Either way I win.

Have you ever tried currency trading, that's some wild stuff! Can make some unbelievable cash doing that. I on the other hand aren't fast enough at trades
Appreciate 1
      03-15-2021, 11:10 PM   #6314
XKxRome0ox
e90noob
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 E90 M3

read up on options
watch the many youtube videos that explain how options work
papertrade to see if you are understanding how the option is working and see it in real time
then try it out on some tickers with various conditions
one of my first options play was with NOK because it is a very stable and slow moving ticker
but that doesn't allow you to experience the big IV swings and such

i blew up my account many times playing risky options
but i kept doing it because once in a while, i'll hit a homerun, like getting 1000%+ return on a NIO call
but guess what? trying to hit a homerun all the time leads to a lot of strikeouts

you can win the game by hitting a bunch of singles and doubles
sure, a grand slam gets on the highlight reel but those base hits win you the game

Production date - 2008-04-22
Appreciate 2
Our03z41690.50