BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning

06-14-2021, 04:22 AM   #111
horsepower_and_hounds
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellokitty View Post
I decided to geek around with a refractometer this weekend and messed around with different BMW coolant percentages, distilled water and Redline water wetter.

Based on my data in BM3, my coolant temperature has dropped 7-8 degrees f using the following:

20% coolant
80% distilled water
1/32 ratio of water wetter (4oz per gallon of distilled water)

I figure I’d try to make the most of the stock cooling system by making it more efficient. This DIY cost me $15 so I’m happy with the results.
Used water wetter back in my road racing days in the R6. It looks and reacts like dish detergent but what it does is increases the dissipation of heat from metal to the water so it stimulates heat transfer

Works wonders
Appreciate 2
      06-14-2021, 12:48 PM   #112
tom @ eas
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: BMW

Garage List
2018 BMW i3s  [0.00]
2010 BMW M3  [6.50]
2015 BMW M4  [5.25]
Quote:
I decided to geek around with a refractometer this weekend and messed around with different BMW coolant percentages, distilled water and Redline water wetter.

Based on my data in BM3, my coolant temperature has dropped 7-8 degrees f using the following:

20% coolant
80% distilled water

I figure I’d try to make the most of the stock cooling system by making it more efficient. This DIY cost me $15 so I’m happy with the results.
Probably the best ratio for street cars, if you flush coolant regularly.

Most track cars get best results from 100% distilled water + water wetter, at the cost of the corrosion protection you get from antifreeze/coolant.

GET DAILY UPDATES ON OUR BLOG · FACEBOOK · YOUTUBE · FLICKR · INSTAGRAM
Appreciate 1
      06-14-2021, 05:29 PM   #113
sly1types
Captain
Rep
Drives: F80M3 and E46M3

Quote:

20% coolant
80% distilled water

What does that 20% coolant come out it "down to freezing temps"? like down 20F on one of those little testers?
F85 X5M
https://www.instagram.com/fastmacm3/

Last edited by sly1types; 06-14-2021 at 05:48 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2021, 05:34 PM   #114
hellokitty
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 M3 ZCP DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by sly1types View Post
Quote:

20% coolant
80% distilled water

What does that 20% coolant come out it down to freezing temps? like down 20F on one of those little testers.
When using 20%, your freezing point is around 15 degrees f.
2017 F80 M3 ZCP / AA GESI DPs / Akrapovic Evo / BBS FI-R 19" / Bend Calibration ECUTEK Flex Fuel | Bilstein B16 DDC + CS EDC / BMC Filters / BMS OCC / CSF HE / ESS CP / Nitto NT555R2 / PD Crank Hub / SPL Suspension / Uniden R7 / Wagner Top Mount IC

2021 Mini GP3 / BMC Filters / BM3 / Cary Jordan E30 / Wagner IC / Remus Race
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2021, 07:42 PM   #115
IBFreeman
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3, Macan Turbo

Really helpful thread, thanks folks. Stock FTW, and CSF is quite the joke (and a rip off).
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2021, 01:22 PM   #116
chipper1
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M4 zcp DCT Alpine tuned

CSF = Translation cause some of you still didn't hear what he said......

I have made enough money off you suckers to buy myself a 1000hp Porsche 911 and no matter what test are done you fools keep giving me 2k$ for this crap. So I tell you you need to buy more of my junk for the first price of junk I sold you to work right! And like magic you send me more money lol. By the way I am helping the bmw community and my bank account greatly there is a sucker born every day.... sorry not sorry

How the hell can anyone not call this guy what he is a ripoff artist and douche bag.

If you try to defend csf your part of the problem too. A polished turd looks better then a regular turd but in the end they are both just pieces of shit.

I am truly sorry to the people who bought there products.
Appreciate 1
SYT_Shadow11421.00
      09-19-2021, 02:05 PM   #117
M3god
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: f80 m3

Quote:
Originally Posted by chipper1 View Post
CSF = Translation cause some of you still didn't hear what he said......

I have made enough money off you suckers to buy myself a 1000hp Porsche 911 and no matter what test are done you fools keep giving me 2k$ for this crap. So I tell you you need to buy more of my junk for the first price of junk I sold you to work right! And like magic you send me more money lol. By the way I am helping the bmw community and my bank account greatly there is a sucker born every day.... sorry not sorry

How the hell can anyone not call this guy what he is a ripoff artist and douche bag.

If you try to defend csf your part of the problem too. A polished turd looks better then a regular turd but in the end they are both just pieces of shit.

I am truly sorry to the people who bought there products.

Mishimoto for the win
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2021, 02:14 PM   #118
fiveohwblow
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F15, E46 & M3, F82

Lol
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2022, 02:56 PM   #119
MarcF10
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F10 M5

Garage List
2018 BMW X5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSF Cooling View Post
Hi everyone,
Ravi Dolwani here - owner of CSF
Hello brother. This was one of the best threads ever and I really appreciate the transparency and honesty of your arguments.

I have a tricky question for you. You may not want to answer and I will respect that.

Many people say that CSF and Project Gamma charge coolers are literally the same thing and that the only difference is the label - your brand name warrants for a steeper price tag.

How would you respond to this? No shame in providing us with information and details as I wholeheartedly believe that price differences exist for a reason and that you get what you pay for...

Thank you so much
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2022, 05:35 PM   #120
Track/S
Major
Rep
Drives: M2C, M4 GTS

This happens with most aftermarket parts.
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2022, 11:18 PM   #121
herbotis
Private
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

A bit new to the F80 world, but I have experience with CSF for my MK7R (radiator and aux radiator). I was a bit disappointed when I paid 500-600$ per cooler to see that they're made in Indonesia... but if you've been to Indo... well I wouldn't really call that country a 1st world... and that's not a neg. That's just how it is over there... and I love that country. However it reflected in the build, the quality, etc... it's acceptable at best, but it isn't worth 600$. If I were to upgrade my intercooler I'd probably fork over the 4k to get something that's proven. Anyway.
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2022, 04:59 PM   #122
Bryan815
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW M8. 1970 MBZ 280SL

Garage List
CSF intercool chat

Guys I am an old man in manufacturing myself. All this talk about good and bad doesn't really accomplish anything. Thank God for choice and Thank God is still a free country. All in all CSF as far as I can see didn't put out any mis info and reminded all of us that the intercooler inst doing the heavy lifting it is the heat exchanger. all in all we are all entitled to opinions and of course bad press is frowned upon hence CSF stepping in to clear his name. Seems to me a lot of noise about what I can't say but negativity didn't build anything positive.PEACE BOYZ Bryan
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2023, 09:56 AM   #123
HA55L3R
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 15' M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dumaurier7 View Post
Hi all , presently I am in the process of converting my M235 to a top mount A2W intercooler which caused me to stumble on this thread whilst doing research (as I always do) before and after I modify my stuff. Just for information I decided to go with the Phoenix Racing "Upgrade" and the Mishimoto heat exchanger, both choices were made based on claimed performance and my budget. After reading this thread I was taken aback by a couple things but the one that struck me the most is the fact that a lot of you guys seem to want to bolt on an upgraded intercooler and see magical improvements in performance whilst completely ignoring the other important parts/ factors of the system. At the end of the day an upgraded intercooler will add more efficiency by increasing surface area and internal volume but it also introduces more resistance to water flow and more water volume to keep cool this itself introduces a new challenge . If the true potential of any A2W system is to be realized then it is imperative that the charge cooler not only be paired with an upgrade heat exchanger BUT also an UPGRADED or supplemental INTERCOOLER WATER pump in order to increase (or at least maintain) circulation rates of the now larger volume of water flowing through a more resistant system! In one of my previous builds I used a BOSCH water pump because at the time it was the unit to used since it was what came on many OEM supercharged high horse power cars, now if you do some checking you will see that it is actually one of the worse pumps you can buy! In the same way you are assuming the rest of the BMW system is up to the task when it clearly isn't! a simple rule of thumb I learned and apply is whatever is done to the right side of the equation must also be done to the left! you cannot upgrade or change one part of a system that is designed to work together as a whole and expect it to function better. Many a time you will see a newly modified (higher HP) engine struggle to stay cool when the cooling system is not simultaneously upgraded, so why would you expect this scenario to be different? Since I am designing my system I opted for a high flow EWP flowing 34.3 GPM which will be speed adjusted based on boost/ load, I'm sure the BMW OEM pump is nowhere in that ball park! At the risk of being skewered ill say that I think you guys would be better off leaving your cars sock if you do not take a holistic view/ approach when doing modifications .

PS: I also don't think you were fair to the CSF guy!
Any luck with that water pump? I'm thinking about upgrading mine
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2024, 07:19 PM   #124
PoweredbyDarkSide
Registered
Rep
Drives: 21 AUDI RSQ 10 Cadillac CTSV

Timing

Quote:
Originally Posted by landonvan View Post
There’s nothing in the tune to do with a better intercooler. It either works or it doesn’t.
You could definitely pull timing to get better cooling results and wait till the AIT/environment cools off.
Appreciate 0