EXXEL Distributions
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > M3 / M4 Photos and Videos

06-02-2021, 01:44 PM   #45
Notyourplug33
Private
Rep
Drives: M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by chetrickerman View Post
Hello, I thought I would document my single turbo build since its nearly complete.

How the car looked when it was delivered

I have previously ran Pure Stage 2 HF, Pure Stage 2+, Full Race turbos, and Kratos. Both sets of the Pure turbos were great, the Full Race turbos spooled slightly faster than the PS2 while flowing pretty much the same amount. The Kratos turbos spooled well for the amount of air that they flow and were a ton of fun, but after an issue with one of the Kratos turbos, I decided to go all in and make my own single turbo kit.

First, I contacted JP Workz for the exhaust manifold. I told him what turbo I was planning on using and he said that his manifold would work perfect. About 3 weeks later I had the manifold, and I could start fabrication. I bolted it up to my spare engine with the turbo, and came to the conclusion that I have to extensively modify the manifold to get the turbo to fit with my plans.

After purchasing a vertical/horizontal bandsaw, I could make the precise cuts I need in order to alter the exhaust manifold. Then I picked up a few different shapes of 304SS Weld els and got to cutting. I had to cut off the O2 bungs because JP didnt use the heat sink style, and then I cut off the merge collector. It cut off the old elbows, sanded the flange flat, and beveled the edges to have a nice fresh surface to weld to.

Then I used my spare engine along with some steel spacers to get the turbo into the proper position with space between the engine block and turbo for the wastegate.

After getting the turbo in the right location, and cutting/grinding the weld els to get a perfect fit up, I cleaned the parts with acetone, closed up all of the holes, back-purged the manifold and welded it up.

With that done, I could move on to the task of fabricating a mount out of aluminum to mount the OEM Electronic Wastegate actuator to. Having tuned several single turbo S55's, I wanted the DME to be able to control the boost. Utilizing the OEM electronic WG ensured that if the DME wants to target 2 psi, 10 psi, or 30 psi, it can.

Once the bracket was finished, I started on the actuator arm to move the wastegate flapper. I chose to go with a EFR 9280 Internal wastegate. I chose this turbo for 2 reasons, first being I needed a turbo that used an internal wastegate that way it will work with the OEM electronic wastegate actuator. The second reason is because I ran a EFR 9174 on my Evo, and it was a phenomenal turbo, with the 9280 being the same physical size, but with higher flowing compressor/turbine wheels.
I used the OEM wastegate linkage, and welded some all-thread to it so that I can adjust the length because each wastegate has to be calibrated in the DME using ISTA.

Next was the downpipe. I used 3.5" 304 stainless tube, and I tried to keep the bends as minimal as possible for maximum flow. Once that was done enough, I took the hot parts in to get a high temperature ceramic coating to prohibit corrosion from forming, and it also helps keep heat inside of the parts, which is always a good thing.

While those parts were at coating, I started on the oil and coolant fittings. I was able to utilize the OEM parts and just modify them to work with the single turbo. You always want to run a filter between the engine and turbo that way if your motor fails, it doesn't take out your turbo too. Luckily, turbosmart has a very compact filter that cleans down to 10 micron. The oil return line was pretty simple. I used a -10 AN hose which actually fit perfect onto the OEM oil return fitting, and I secured the hose with a Oetiker clamp which should ensure a leak free connection.

Once I finished the oil fittings, the hot parts were done with ceramic coating, so I assembled the hot parts to the car and got started with the intercooler and charge pipe fabrication. I used 2.5" aluminum tubing, with Vibrant HD Clamps for the coupling to ensure a leak free connection since they are good for at least 500 psi of pressure. I wanted to use the OEM intercooler for two reasons: the first being that the tune inside the DME has the pressure drop across the OEM intercooler mapped and I didn't want to mess with that. The Second being I run methanol injection, so the OEM intercooler with methanol will cool the charge very well, most of the time it reduces the charge temps to below ambient temperature.

With the charge pipe oriented, I started on the intercooler plenum. Air likes to follow the path of least resistance, which in this case is straight through the intercooler, so I wanted to get even air flow across the core for optimum cooling. To ensure that, I added internal air guides to split the air up. Once I was able to get the shape I wanted with cardboard, I traced each side onto aluminum sheet and cut them out. Doing it this way made the fit up tight and easy to weld.

Im the type of person that looks at all the details, and boost leaks are the devil, so as soon as I finished welding the charge components, I pressure tested them to 50 psig, for 3 hours. I left them pressurized for this amount of time so I can know for certain the pressure isn't leaking into the coolant part of the intercooler.

Since the charge pipe runs right next to the exhaust manifold and aluminum loves to absorb heat, I wrapped the pipe with DEI Reflect-A-GOLD tape to help reduce heat soak as much as possible. I also painted the Intercooler with truck bed coating for a more aesthetic appearance.

The S55 engine isn't the best looking engine, so in an effort to make it look better, I did a small "wire tuck" to clean up the front of the engine, while also removing some of the wires I didn't need anymore. I like my engines clean, and as simple looking as possible.

With all that done, I could focus on the extremely important step of calibrating the wastegate. It took several tries to get the arm in the proper range of movement, but once I did, the wastegate calibrated with no errors.

Once calibration was successful, I was able to start final assembly. I used silicone hose for the coolant lines to/from the turbo since they hold up to high heat better. I also slid a DEI gold sheath over the oil return line since it runs close to the turbine housing.

To ensure that the turbine housing and manifold don't separate under any conditions, I used Inconel 625 studs, with Stage 8 locking nuts which as you can see prohibit the nut from loosening unless I want it to. I also used an Inconel T4 Twinscroll gasket for guaranteed sealing even under extreme conditions.

After I installed everything and double checked everything was buttoned up properly, I removed the spark plugs and primed the engine to get oil flowing through everywhere including the turbo prior to starting. The first start up was successful, with no leaks or issues.

Video of how the car sounds after first start up

***Thread not finished***
How do you like single turbo vs the kratos or pures?
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2021, 03:20 AM   #46
Bluer2
Captain
Rep
Drives: F80

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notyourplug33 View Post
How do you like single turbo vs the kratos or pures?
bro, did you really have to quote the whole post to ask him that question?
Appreciate 12
11LMBiSTT1548.50
jninja514.50
Belong560.00
wdeerfield2745.00
j2nicee55.00
mrgamby19.00
RodF8222.50
MJBO2580.00
      06-21-2021, 03:39 PM   #47
chetrickerman
ECUTek Master Tuner
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 YMB

Garage List
2016 BMW M3  [9.00]
Dyno day today! The car and turbo performed well, running 33.5 psig of boost, I was able to dial in the ignition timing to MBT. Final numbers were 838 whp and 739 wtq with the Dynojet SAE correction factor. I will upload the dyno graph as soon as I get it.

tom @ eas8104.50
prompt292.00
      06-21-2021, 05:08 PM   #48
guess2098
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 Taycan GTS, 2018 M4, 2016

Great job. Always love to see your work. Just a quick question. I been reading that this turbo performs really well in both lag time and power compare to twin turbo. But what is real benefit from twin to single in general speaking other than more hp. Thanks
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2021, 05:20 PM   #49
chetrickerman
ECUTek Master Tuner
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2016 BMW M3  [9.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by guess2098 View Post
Great job. Always love to see your work. Just a quick question. I been reading that this turbo performs really well in both lag time and power compare to twin turbo. But what is real benefit from twin to single in general speaking other than more hp. Thanks
Thank you!

Twin turbos should spool faster and have better transient response because the two turbines have a lower polar moment of inertia, but I'm extremely happy with the response and power of this EFR 9280, especially utilizing the OEM electronic wastegate actuator.
      06-21-2021, 07:02 PM   #50
///BMW Junkie
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW M4

It's also amazing EU5's can flow this much. Can you talk a little more on the fueling aspect?
      06-21-2021, 07:36 PM   #51
chetrickerman
ECUTek Master Tuner
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2016 BMW M3  [9.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ///BMW Junkie View Post
It's also amazing EU5's can flow this much. Can you talk a little more on the fueling aspect?
I am limited to what I can say due to the agreement I have with the company I am testing parts for, but whats up?
      06-21-2021, 07:52 PM   #52
///BMW Junkie
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW M4

Quote:
Quote:
I am limited to what I can say due to the agreement I have with the company I am testing parts for, but whats up?
I only saw EU5's mentioned and wanted to see if you could share more insight on what it appears to be a DI only setup, but I understand if you're limited at this time.
      06-21-2021, 08:32 PM   #53
chetrickerman
ECUTek Master Tuner
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2016 BMW M3  [9.00]
Quote:
I only saw EU5's mentioned and wanted to see if you could share more insight on what it appears to be a DI only setup, but I understand if you're limited at this time.
I have been authorized to say they are Pre release Twin XDI-EVO High pressure pumps, and they have been wonderful. Fuel pressure has been solid since installing and tuning them. These pumps with EU5 injectors are sure to be a massive hit as they will support enough power for 90% of people, even on ethanol
      06-22-2021, 10:07 AM   #54
Wanted_M
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Frozen Blue M4CS

Quote:
Dyno day today! The car and turbo performed well, running 33.5 psig of boost, I was able to dial in the ignition timing to MBT. Final numbers were 838 whp and 739 wtq with the Dynojet SAE correction factor. I will upload the dyno graph as soon as I get it.

Damn good job and solid numbers .
This is on a stock block or built motor? I'd be afraid with those TQ #'s .
ARM DP's/Resonated Mid-pipe | SPL links | Hotchkis bars | JRZ RS2/camber plates | K&N | Koyorad HX | Powerflex purple | Rouge | Spiegler | Speed Eng. snorkel | Vargas CBC/hub | Wagner IC | xHP | Xpel stealth ppf
Appreciate 1
      06-22-2021, 12:02 PM   #55
Bluer2
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanted_M View Post
He said stock block with CNC Head.

Last edited by Bluer2; 06-23-2021 at 09:10 AM..
Appreciate 2
Wanted_M756.00
      06-22-2021, 12:12 PM   #56
rmanm4
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW M4 F82

Garage List
2020 BMW M4  [0.00]
Single turbo S55 sounds so much better!

Now we know why AA EL exhaust sounds good but not single turbo good.
Appreciate 2
m3less130.00
      06-22-2021, 03:26 PM   #57
F30_320D_UK
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW F30 320D M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmanm4 View Post
Single turbo S55 sounds so much better!

Now we know why AA EL exhaust sounds good but not single turbo good.
Just what I thought. Single turbo S55 sounds awesome
Appreciate 1
      06-22-2021, 07:02 PM   #58
chetrickerman
ECUTek Master Tuner
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2016 BMW M3  [9.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanted_M View Post
Yep, stock bottom end. I turned it down to around 750 whp and 650 wtq.

Thank you!
      06-23-2021, 12:21 AM   #59
jpy1980
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M3 -Smurfy Blue Vinyl

Why are you guys hanging off of the rear of the car? to add more weight so better traction?
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2021, 08:01 AM   #60
chetrickerman
ECUTek Master Tuner
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2016 BMW M3  [9.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpy1980 View Post
Why are you guys hanging off of the rear of the car? to add more weight so better traction?
Yes, the tires were spinning on the first pull
      06-23-2021, 09:09 AM   #61
Bluer2
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Yes, the tires were spinning on the first pull
the left guy with the blue jeans is the real MVP.
Appreciate 1
      07-20-2021, 02:27 PM   #62
chetrickerman
ECUTek Master Tuner
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2016 BMW M3  [9.00]
Here is the dyno sheet finally. Its a very fun powerband.
Attached Images

tom @ eas8104.50
guess2098516.00
TopJimmy5445.00
RSXDC5707.00
      07-20-2021, 03:40 PM   #63
F30_320D_UK
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW F30 320D M-Sport

Quote:
Phenomenal! Congratulations. Just watched the dyno videos again. With headphones. Epic
Appreciate 1
      07-20-2021, 03:40 PM   #64
11LMBiSTT
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: A to B.

Quote:
What a smooth climb! Super car killer for sure! Can't imagine what it feels like to drive that beast! Enjoy safely in good health!
Appreciate 1
      07-20-2021, 09:25 PM   #65
Bluer2
Captain
Rep

you have any Kratos dyno sheets to compare that with? An overlay perhaps?
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2021, 09:38 PM   #66
chetrickerman
ECUTek Master Tuner
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2016 BMW M3  [9.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluer2 View Post
you have any Kratos dyno sheets to compare that with? An overlay perhaps?
Unfortunately no